View Full Version : Question re: Hackensack NJ Ice House

flutzilla1
11-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Hi everyone!

I am moving back to the States in January, and since I'm also hoping to go to the 2006 Adult Nationals, I have been trying to find a rink and possible coaches in the NYC area.

After having heard such great reports about the coaches at the Ice House from everyone who's attended the Adult Training Camps there, I am definitely leaning more towards that rink for lessons, even though it's farther away from where I'll be living than other rinks. I checked the rink's website and list of coaches. Does anyone know if there are coaches at that rink that definitely do not coach adults? Or anyone specific that you might recommend? I'll probably be looking into starting lessons back up again around the end of January/beginning of February, when Flutzilla Jr. will be starting preschool. :)

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

FrankR
11-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi everyone!

I am moving back to the States in January, and since I'm also hoping to go to the 2006 Adult Nationals, I have been trying to find a rink and possible coaches in the NYC area.

After having heard such great reports about the coaches at the Ice House from everyone who's attended the Adult Training Camps there, I am definitely leaning more towards that rink for lessons, even though it's farther away from where I'll be living than other rinks. I checked the rink's website and list of coaches. Does anyone know if there are coaches at that rink that definitely do not coach adults? Or anyone specific that you might recommend? I'll probably be looking into starting lessons back up again around the end of January/beginning of February, when Flutzilla Jr. will be starting preschool. :)

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Hi flutzilla,

The Ice House is my home rink. To my knowledge, I don't know of any coaches there that specifically do not coach adults. There are several coaches there that have adult students. I'm very comfortable with both of my coaches. However, I also know that my adult skating colleagues at the Ice House are also very happy with their coaches as well. My advice would be to contact Craig Maurizi. I think you might be able to get his contact information from the Ice House website. If not, send me a PM and I'll give you his e-mail address. He is the director of the skating school at the Ice House. He can recommend several coaches and give you their contact information. Then it might help to just call up each coach and talk to them and get a feel for which coach might best fit your needs.

Best of luck and let me know if there's anything I can do to help. If you do decide to skate at the Ice House, it'll be great to meet you and welcome you into our crew of adult skaters. ;)

Take care,

Frank

icecatepairs
11-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Hi,
Welcome in advance to the icehouse...Its my Home club as well. I do take singles from a coach that works out of Ny, and pairs in NJ with a coach from NY as well (not at the ice house though) .. But I take regular lessons from Edward (the moves king) and had my program choreographed at icehouse. . I have taken Pairs with jonathan Hunt there. To the best of my knoweledge it is a very adult friendly rink. I see a lot of coaches with Adult students, and almost all of us take moves with Edward. They really treat Adult skaters with respect there, and there are lots of good coaches to choose from. in the summer we have a nice group on the adult sessions and we sometimes get together for socail stuff after. I think you will like it here. It is a commute for me as well but I feel it is worth it. feel free to pm with any other questions you have. hope to see you there...

jazzpants
12-01-2005, 01:24 AM
...and almost all of us take moves with Edward.Add this San Francisco visitor in about 3 weeks!!! :mrgreen: I am visiting my in-laws at NYC and plan on making a trip over to the Ice House to take a lesson or two with the "Moves King."

(Of course, I made the mistake of telling my coaches that I'm taking lesson with him. Primary coach has been really tough on me with my moves as of late. His excuse? "Well, I don't want him to think that I wasn't doing my JOB now, do I? I DO want to make a good impression!!!" :roll: :twisted: :lol: :P )

Isk8NYC
12-02-2005, 03:43 AM
What sessions at Ice House are good for adult skaters?

Ice Vault used to have evening adult freestyles with a clinic that were fun, but I think they changed the schedules.

FrankR
12-02-2005, 08:05 AM
What sessions at Ice House are good for adult skaters?

Ice Vault used to have evening adult freestyles with a clinic that were fun, but I think they changed the schedules.

Hey there,

The past few years the Ice House has offered an hour and a half of adult freestyle ice-time twice a week during the summer. However, those sessions are not available during the remainder of the year.

When the summer schedule is not in effect I think we pretty much find whatever freestyle sessions fit around our work schedules and stick to that. Unfortunately for me that means I'm skating at 5:50 in the morning during the work week. 8O It's not so bad now that I've gotten used to it and a lot of the adult skaters from our club skate these sessions. The Saturday freestyles can get a bit crowded. Some weekends it can be a bit hectic and others can be fairly light in attendance.

Take care,

Frank