View Full Version : Gold Medal or Old Boot: 27/11-04/12/05

Mrs Redboots
11-29-2005, 08:48 AM
Thread title in honour of the British Championships which started today!

Gold Medal: Husband and I managed to skate round the rink in closer hold than we have ever done before! We were way pleased, especially as it really does seem to make everything easier (as we had been told it would), and improved the quality of our edges. We did one lap of chassés, which were "normal" (we change sides at the end so that it is one side of me going backwards, then one side of him), then a lap of swing rolls which were really close - so, of course, we had to do another lap of chassés to get them really close, too! Whether we can transfer this to the Swing Dance yet remains to be seen - we didn't have time to try. We also did a lap of just plain vanilla outside edges in Reverse Kilian hold, again, closer than usual.

Oh, and our spin worked!

Old Boot: Which is more than can be said for my back cross-cuts! Grrrrr... but I have realised why I can do them in my lesson and not in practice - my coach is following me around the rink in my lesson, so I must be using his body to focus on and keep mine in the right place! Hmmmm, I'll have to make him stand to one side next lesson, see if that makes a difference.

Next question - why doesn't our spin work in our lessons?

No lessons this week - he's busy putting our Primary Lady on the ice, probably as I write this.....

The dancers don't leave until after patch tomorrow - the atmosphere today was seriously tense, heaven knows what it will be like tomorrow!

batikat
11-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Gold Medal:

Had a lovely time doing the Swing dance with my coach. Haven't skated dance for ages and rarely with a partner so I'd forgotten how much fun it was - and how scary skating that close. He expects his pupils to cope with his 'ex-Olympian' edges and I'm pleased to say that I very nearly managed it - just a slight problem with the RFO swing.

Landed some easy loop jumps (i.e they felt easy - which they dont normally) and also a couple of flips which surprised me as I haven't landed one properly before. Even the 3 jump /loop jump combo had a bit more speed going into it.

Old Boot
And the bad news is:
my coach is ...............leaving :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've known for a while but havent been able to tell anyone til it was official and I am devastated. I can't imagine skating with anyone else - he really has been an ideal Adult coach by taking it seriously but making sure it's always fun too. He's also been my kid's coach ever since they started 6 years ago. My daughter will probably move to her secondary coach but my son will give up altogether, since this coach is one of the reasons he has stuck with skating this long.

I dont even want to think about moving to a new coach..............

Skate@Delaware
11-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Gold Medal: Hubby says he is wants to sign up for private dance classes-damn the cost!!! MAJOR VICTORY!! Guess that lap of chasses and swing rolls in kilian won him over (he really like that)! He did very well skating that close! We will probably pick them up in January or so.

Old boot: no skating today as I'm too tired and I've gotta work on costumes (still...my list keeps growing).

Of course, if we take ice dance, that means I'll be skating even more than ever....but then so will he!!!! :twisted: Maybe I'll finally start to remember those dang steps to the canasta tango :frus:

jazzpants
11-29-2005, 11:25 AM
AWWWW!!! Batikat!!! I know what you're thinking too... :cry: It's already bad enough when I have to leave my secondary coaches b/c of my job changes in the past. And I am thankful my primary coach is still with me after all these SIX years! 8O (And I *think* I have taken care of the rotating secondary coach problem by getting one at my home rink too. Also makes life easier for my two coaches to poke fun... ummm, "have discussions" about my (lack of) crossovers!!! :roll: :lol: :twisted: :P )

phoenix
11-29-2005, 12:10 PM
((batikat)) I'm very sorry to hear about you losing your coach! Is there anyone else around who you might want to work with?

slusher
11-29-2005, 12:49 PM
I'd be devastated if my primary coach moved, although I have a back up coach it would mean driving out of town several times to another club. Batikat, I'm sorry and don't know what to say.

Gold Medal and Old Boot:

Dance Boy gave me a compliment on my flow today, normally lessons with the partner is a stream of (polite) criticisms so this was a change. I think I'm being buttered up because I'm testing soon. Which leads me to this rhetorical question "why is the stupid RFO edge in the Willow Waltz so darned annoying?". This is the step of the moment that is driving me nuts. Timing, it's all about timing, aaargh!

Debbie S
11-29-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your coaching situation, batikat. I hope everything works out for you and your kids.

Gold Medal: Well, the good news is that my LFO power 3's are now in good shape - my free leg no longer hangs. I also had some success with the salchow and loop last night, although I know my loop jump definitely needs more height. Between 2 FS sessions, I went to an off-ice jumping class the rink is now offering - I know I better improve my jumps if I want to be competitive in Bronze, if I ever get there.

I got a lot of work done in both sessions, b/c neither was especially crowded. I was able to get several moves run-throughs in and also worked a bit on the 8-step. There was an adult skater there for the 2nd session who is testing Silver MIF this week, so I watched her run through the 8-step - wow, will I ever get that fast? Unfortunately, at one point when I wasn't watching, she took a spill (fortunately, it was one of those sliding-on-your-butt falls and not a face-forward-on-the-knee one) - I think it was the "click of death", which I imagine is a common occurrence with that move - eeek!

Old Boot: Unfortunately, my RFO power 3's still need work - instead of bringing my free foot to my skating leg, I'm bringing in my knee - an improvement from hanging out in space but the wrong body part - lol. And my alt BO edge glides have gotten a bit sloppy on the crossover part - I'm not extending enough on the first push and am rushing the crossover. Again, the motivation and focus problem, since I passed this move the first time - got to snap out of it and get in gear!

Mrs Redboots
11-30-2005, 10:33 AM
The trouble with no lessons and no immediate test or competition is that you end up standing around not doing anything - although, technically, I "skated" for two hours yesterday, I don't really think I had much exercise!

Gold Medal: Yesterday evening, in Figure Club, Husband and I choreographed the first three seconds of his free programme for next year, and the first five seconds of our free dance (assuming, that is, that NISA doesn't specify we mayn't have a combination spin in it, which they might since you aren't allowed them at O'dorf, nor yet at Primary level here. But they never said last year, so unless they actually say, we are doing our change-foot, because we can!).

Spin worked beautifully, both last night and again this morning (so why won't it work in our lessons????). Husband and I spent a long time this morning doing chassés in waltz hold with him going backwards and me going forwards, since there's something not quite right about it. He points out that I keep looking over his left shoulder on the LFO/RFI chassé, which is true, but if I don't, I can't get the edge, which I think is his shoulders, not mine.... don't know.... we'll have to get the coach to check when he gets back.

After he'd gone, I had nearly two hours of nearly empty ice (we saw the dancers off to the British with great cheers and waves and cries of "Good luck" and "Skate Great" at about 8.45), so decided I'd really do some hard work. So I did lap after lap of edges of various kinds, "Evil eights" round the circle, circles of chassé/closed chassé and chassé/slide chassé. To finish with, I did a seriously evil exercise that Jimmy Young gave us in his workshop, which was four cross-rolls followed by a cross-roll held into a circle.... repeated down the ice (hullo, DBNY!). I could sort-of do that, but when it came to four inside edges followed by an inside edge held into a circle, I kept doing an inside 3! Didn't have time to try them backwards.

Old Boot: So I'm tired and stiff now! And my cross-cuts still aren't working too well. Confirmed last night, and again this morning, that the presence of a warm body in front of me is still necessary to me, it seems to enable me to get my body position right. And I'm now wondering if that's why I turn so much better with a partner - or, indeed, when I'm close enough to the barrier to orient myself to it. Sheesh...

Isk8NYC
11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Gold Medal: Husband and I managed to skate round the rink in closer hold than we have ever done before! We were way pleased, especially as it really does seem to make everything easier (as we had been told it would), and improved the quality of our edges.

Gold Medal: Hubby says he is wants to sign up for private dance classes-damn the cost!!! MAJOR VICTORY!! Guess that lap of chasses and swing rolls in kilian won him over (he really like that)! He did very well skating that close! We will probably pick them up in January or so.

Hmm. Sounds romantic, too! I'm envious: my husband is quite happy toddling around the rink by himself v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. He learned enough to do a one-foot glide and said "That's it. I've learned enough." Good thing he has other redeeming qualities! ;)

NickiT
11-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Gold Medal
My daughter won silver in our club field moves competition last night out of a class of six. It was totally unexpected given the ability of her fellow competitors and also the fact that she was (and still is) unwell with a urinary tract infection.

I had a good skate myself this morning and the big achievement of the day was that I managed to run through my programme to the end for the first time in three months and landed all my jumps in it.

Old Boot
I may have got through my programme but my general skating was poor as the whole thing felt quite shaky. Also my level of fitness is still lower than usual so it made it that bit harder to get through the programme!

Nicki

jazzpants
11-30-2005, 02:44 PM
I must be crazy... Secondary coach offers to teach loops this morning... and I asked to do BACK CROSSOVERS!!! Am I NUTS or what?!?!!? (Actually, my lower back was stiff this morning and I didn't want to take a chance at doing loops...)

Old Boot:
Had trouble initially trying to get my torso and head to turn. And unfortunately the video NEVER lies!!! She showed me a video of me doing back crossovers and I was NOT looking behind me. She had me hold a 2lb ball (the weight resistance balls you see at the gym) on the BACK hand and my job of the day is to look straight at that ball with my nose facing that ball... and to make it more interesting, I'm supposed to close one eye (forcing me to watch the ball with the other eye by having to turn my head.) My face looked really weird when I tried that...

But at the end....

Gold Medal!!!
I did a couple of good back crossover laps and a few fellow skaters and a coach did noticed I was looking behind me on my back crossovers!!!

Now we'll see if I keep it for tomorrow for my primary coach's lesson. (Ha HAH!!!!) :twisted:

Skate@Delaware
11-30-2005, 03:33 PM
Hmm. Sounds romantic, too! I'm envious: my husband is quite happy toddling around the rink by himself v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. He learned enough to do a one-foot glide and said "That's it. I've learned enough." Good thing he has other redeeming qualities! ;)
Not quite as romantic as it sounds-he has a "fear factor" thing going and I think he just wants someone (me) to hold on to....however, I have been known to let go if I feel shakiness on his part.

So, he has to learn to be a better skater, cause I'm bailin' if he's fallin'!!!!! (he out-weighs me by 80+ pounds) :giveup:

Terri C
11-30-2005, 06:17 PM
I thought that I would get a reprieve from Bronze moves, since I'm not testing next week, but NOT!

Gold Medal:
Was on edges for the five step mohawk and had good power with back crossover to back extension.

Old Boot:
Coach nitpicked on my forward power crossovers... I kept changing edges on the step onto the inside edge in between crossovers.... too bad there's no COP involved in these tests!
Then she had me do, three, yes three patterns of the back power crossovers to get the weight shift right.
Then was told to bend the knee on the skating leg when coming out of the three turn on power threes. It made all the difference in the world in power, edge quality and a sore right knee and aching back!

mikawendy
11-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Coach nitpicked on my forward power crossovers... I kept changing edges on the step onto the inside edge in between crossovers.... too bad there's no COP involved in these tests!
:D :D lol!

Then she had me do, three, yes three patterns of the back power crossovers to get the weight shift right.

Jeepers, three patterns?! That's a lot! I've only ever done two in a row, and I'm pooped after it for a good part of the session! Let me guess, if you do an FS program, your coach makes you do laps of stroking afterward, too....

Terri C
11-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Let me guess, if you do an FS program, your coach makes you do laps of stroking afterward, too....

Yeap! One lap each forward and backward, followed by five waltz jumps.
That's the standard and it becomes five axels when you get the axel!

cutiesk8r43
11-30-2005, 07:11 PM
gold medal:
started my chridtmas exibition program! its fun because I do it with my sister,axels were ok.and my coach was yellin at my sister not me! hehe :halo:

old boot:
dance coach was sick,didnt get a lesson :cry:

~Cutie ;)

The Ice Demon
12-01-2005, 04:15 AM
Gold Medal
FI&O figures getting much more accurate. Did a few really nice jumps even though I have injuries. Axels are back (only just) with a terrifically horrible skid on the entries and very bad landings... but they were still axels and better than any other attempts/splats I have done in the last few weeks.

Old Boot
Have just started loops (figure type) with coach and they are unrecognisable as such. The mess of tracings I left on the ice did not look anything like what another skater had left down the other end of the ice :roll: I can get the loop bit... sort of, but certainly can't get the exit. Worst thing at the moment is that too many injuries are affecting my skating... I could stop skating, running, cycling and gym for a while I guess - on second thoughts, nah!

Thought for the week:
It's important for the healing process to ice your injuries after training......
You know you have too many injuries when you don't have enough ice packs in the freezer to cover all the injuries at once!!:P

Mrs Redboots
12-01-2005, 04:47 AM
Gold Medal
My daughter won silver in our club field moves competition last night out of a class of six. It was totally unexpected given the ability of her fellow competitors and also the fact that she was (and still is) unwell with a urinary tract infection.

I had a good skate myself this morning and the big achievement of the day was that I managed to run through my programme to the end for the first time in three months and landed all my jumps in it.

Well done, both of you!

samba
12-01-2005, 04:51 AM
Well done Nicki and daughter!!

NickiT
12-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Well done, both of you!

Well done Nicki and daughter!!

Thanks very much to both of you :)

Skate@Delaware
12-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Nicki & daughter: Well done!!
Batikat: Sorry to hear about your coach :cry:

This is for last night's coaching session:
Old boot: skated with bronchitis/pneumonia (yes, the drama continues) so I had to stop and gasp for breaths.....not a pretty sight....So, to pace ourselves we worked on the Waltz 8....not a pretty sight...not waltzy and there were no 8 counts anywhere to be seen!

We ran through bits of my program and changed a few things and I messed up on the toe-loop (I hate that jump) then she made me take my gloves off and skate with "Barbie" hands because my fingers were spreading out :oops: ; then we worked on the loop, which we realized I was afraid of falling on (Dr. psychiatrist coach saw me lean OUT of it instead of getting onto the edge....darn! I really do want that jump but I don't want to fall-guess I can't have it both ways!)

Gold Medal: Coach likes the height I'm getting on my salchow and she likes the consistency of my spins (finally!) and, contrary to the opinions of some people (like snotty daughters), she thinks my mohawk is fine in the program.

Hannahclear
12-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Old Boot:

My 3 days per week are currently Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, due to rink ice time changes. It's only for about a month, but I do wish it was spread out just a bit more. Oh well, better than going down to 2 days per week, so I can't complain too much.

I had a nasty case of lutzitis on Tuesday. Inconsistent when working with coach and completely blew both lutzes in the program run through.Combo? Fuggedabdit...... :roll: Just not good at all. I think it's mental.

Gold Medal:

At least I'm getting through my program with regularity. I'm not ready to collapse at the end and I complete most of my elements. It's still slow and clunky, but I feel good overall about where I am two months before competition.

My backward perimeter crossover pattern is improving. I'm getting on the right edges easier now and the pattern is tightening up.

I think I *detected* progress on Power 3's, but I'm not sure yet. More details next week. ;)

Thin-Ice
12-02-2005, 02:07 AM
So, to pace ourselves we worked on the Waltz 8....not a pretty sight...not waltzy and there were no 8 counts anywhere to be seen!

Actually you don't want any 8-counts on this... The waltz-8 is done in three (-- or six) counts, hence the "waltz" part of the name. The "8" is for the pattern left on the ice.

Stroke forward 1-2-3
3-Turn on 1, then hold 2-3
Change feet (but still going backwards) on 1, then hold 2-3
Rotate forward on 1, then hold 2-3
Step forward on 1, hold 2-3-4-5-6

To get the rhythm right before I tested my coach actually had me do these to (slow) waltz music so I didn't rush the 3-turn or the rotation at the top of the circle. :roll: It made the test seem soooo much easier when I could use any tempo I wanted to!

sceptique
12-02-2005, 02:21 AM
Old Boot

It's the second time in the row when I drive 30 min to the rink only to find that there's no ice! And by the looks of it I'm going to have my Novice Field Moves test on the 12th. If it goes on like this, I swear, I'll start going to public sessions at Christmas open rinks - at least those won't close for a wrestling event or a hockey match!

Skate@Delaware
12-02-2005, 07:15 AM
Actually you don't want any 8-counts on this... The waltz-8 is done in three (-- or six) counts, hence the "waltz" part of the name. The "8" is for the pattern left on the ice.

Stroke forward 1-2-3
3-Turn on 1, then hold 2-3
Change feet (but still going backwards) on 1, then hold 2-3
Rotate forward on 1, then hold 2-3
Step forward on 1, hold 2-3-4-5-6

To get the rhythm right before I tested my coach actually had me do these to (slow) waltz music so I didn't rush the 3-turn or the rotation at the top of the circle. :roll: It made the test seem soooo much easier when I could use any tempo I wanted to!
Thanks for the tips! I was actually trying to be funny....guess I should leave humor to the professionals!

Did good on the 3-turn (once we determined that I needed to aim more out), however, I was getting messed up after that :oops:

jazzpants
12-02-2005, 11:24 AM
To get the rhythm right before I tested my coach actually had me do these to (slow) waltz music so I didn't rush the 3-turn or the rotation at the top of the circle. :roll: It made the test seem soooo much easier when I could use any tempo I wanted to!Know of any good music for 5 step mohawks??? :P I want to show my coaches that I am ON BEAT! (Okay, more like having something to keep me honest so I would stay on beat. LOL!!!)

I think primary coach has the need for SPEED today!!!

Old Boot:
Still working on those Forward Power 3's. Today's lesson was tidy FO3's and STRONG back crossovers!!!

Initially, I was kinda sluggish on pretty much all the moves... I blamed it on the weather!!! :twisted: :P (As Thin-Ice can attest, it's stormy, rainy and COLD here in the Bay Area the past few days!!!) Primary coach was particularly "not happy" with my back crossovers to BO edge. SOOOO... he made me "ice dance" with him!!! He wants me to do the back crossovers to BO edge while in (looking at the ice-dance.com technical reference...) "closed or waltz position." And of course, b/c he's leading, he wants it HIS SPEED!!! The weird part was trying to do back crossovers around the rink with him still holding onto me. (Yeah, I know what you guys are thinking... "AWWWW!!!! He's ice dancing with Jazzpants!!!") :roll: :P

Gold Medal:
Surprisingly, he said afterwards, "See? You can go faster on that move!!! It wasn't like you were like hanging onto me and squeezing my hand out for dear life. I just push you to go a little faster!!! You were actually concentrating on pushing on your edge and extending your leg BEHIND you (as opposed to "on the side" -- another gripe he has about that move...) I want you to do this move again by yourself again and I expect you to move as fast as we just did..."

And I think I did just that... almost anyway... well... when I wasn't dodging ANYONE!!! :evil:

The forward alt. crossovers were fast again!!!! :mrgreen: He clocked me going thru this move now at 40 seconds!!! "Not bad!!! Still need to go faster!!!" (Oh, great!!! He's been taking tips from secondary coach!!!) :roll:

And I started getting back my confidence on my 5 step mohawks to almost the point where I was just before I was testing, though at times I was fighting for that $%#&* FI mohawk!!! :evil: (Then again, when you have your coach yelling "MOHAWK!" at you, ummm.... you don't think, you DO!!!) 8O

Debbie S
12-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Know of any good music for 5 step mohawks??? :P I want to show my coaches that I am ON BEAT! (Okay, more like having something to keep me honest so I would stay on beat. LOL!!!)
LOL, jazzpants, actually (dork alert :oops: ), I count out loud when I practice (and when I tested). I say "1, hold, hold, 2, hold, hold..." etc. through each of the 5 steps and then start over again for each lobe, stepping on the number counts. It's the only way I won't rush the 1st or 4th steps! When I tested, by the time I passed the judges' box (the second side, near the end of the pattern), I was practically panting as I was counting. But the judges didn't deduct points for talking or out-of-breath-ness. :lol:

blisspix
12-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Almost everything has been old boot for the last two sessions. today I took a major fall... bad enough for four people to come and help me get up, incident report to be filed etc. I now have a very swollen lip and cheek, scraped elbows, and bruised knees.

Gold medal - I tried the mohawk entry to the lutz after reading the suggestions in the lutz thread. Worked well.

jazzpants
12-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Almost everything has been old boot for the last two sessions. today I took a major fall... bad enough for four people to come and help me get up, incident report to be filed etc. I now have a very swollen lip and cheek, scraped elbows, and bruised knees.DOH!!! OWWWW!!! Get thee to a doctor ASAP, just to be safe and all!!! Hope it's nothing more than a very swollen lip and cheek, scraped elbows, bruised knees... :(

e-skater
12-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Know of any good music for 5 step mohawks???

I played either the European or Viennese Waltz (from ice dance) music in my head. I can't remember which. :?? Probably the Viennese. It worked for me, because the "and" fell on a 3rd beat.......It really, really worked for me. The 5-step started out as one of my worst moves, but was one of the best on my test.

Also, when you said you were fighting for the inside mohawk, both? Or is the L or R the culprit? There are two things that helped me here. One was making sure that the slide chasse', or slip, or whatever it's called, was ending perpendicular to the long axis, making stepping onto the next FI edge easier. I had to think of stepping "down" the ice, even though you aren't really. The second thing was thinking of the mohawks, esp L, as that was my hard one, as "forward inside edge, backward inside edge" instead of as an element called a "mohawk". This got me focused on the edges and not the insurmountable element "mohawk". For what it's worth, if anything. :)

jazzpants
12-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Also, when you said you were fighting for the inside mohawk, both? Or is the L or R the culprit? There are two things that helped me here. One was making sure that the slide chasse', or slip, or whatever it's called, was ending perpendicular to the long axis, making stepping onto the next FI edge easier. I had to think of stepping "down" the ice, even though you aren't really. The second thing was thinking of the mohawks, esp L, as that was my hard one, as "forward inside edge, backward inside edge" instead of as an element called a "mohawk". This got me focused on the edges and not the insurmountable element "mohawk". For what it's worth, if anything. :)My problem has been on the first and fourth step. I think I managed to fix the 4th step (by making an adjustment on the 3rd step.) As for the FI mohawk thing, at times I find myself hesitant to do them (the RFI mohawk in particular.) Seems having my primary coach there yelling "RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT" helped the hesitation problem.

On the days that I'm not hestitant to do them, the feet don't want to come together and meet at speed (both of them.) :twisted: And they're "hoppy." I'm okay doing them slowly though.

But... we'll see... I know the judges think that I'm skating on a flat... so I have to figure out a way to get them to see that I AM skating on an edge!!!

mikawendy
12-02-2005, 09:16 PM
I played either the European or Viennese Waltz (from ice dance) music in my head. I can't remember which. :?? Probably the Viennese. It worked for me, because the "and" fell on a 3rd beat.......It really, really worked for me. The 5-step started out as one of my worst moves, but was one of the best on my test.

I think I've done it when the European Waltz is playing and it definitely helps me even out the timing. Otherwise I start hopping the first mohawk and it all goes downhill from there! Thanks for the tips on pattern placement, too, e-skater!

blisspix
12-02-2005, 11:06 PM
DOH!!! OWWWW!!! Get thee to a doctor ASAP, just to be safe and all!!! Hope it's nothing more than a very swollen lip and cheek, scraped elbows, bruised knees... :(

I'm ok, had I hit my head any further up I'd definitely see a doctor. Or if things are worse tomorrow. My knees are starting to seize up, but they are not swelling (besides all the bruising).

But boy, am I going to be sore tomorrow.

Skate@Delaware
12-03-2005, 06:52 AM
But boy, am I going to be sore tomorrow.
OUCH!!! Hope you are not too sore today!

Last night we went early (as usual) to the public skate that precedes lessons. Hubby and I worked on his mohawks, spins, and pair/dance skating stuff (chasses, swing rolls, stroking).

Gold Medal for Hubby: He finally has a good mohawk AND he did a one-foot spin!!! Not bad for a man that just recently started taking lessons! (plus, he is in the 55+ age group). :bow:

This is for last night's lesson:
Gold Medal: Crossovers!! I started with my bad side and coach asked me to switch to my bad side, I said I was already there, she said they were really good! Jumps were next, and my waltz-waltz was really good (mostly-see note below). Salchow was good once I warmed it up-I'm pushing "up" from my bent leg (I love the salchow)! Remark was "You are turning into a jumper now, Great!" That was a nice comment-last year I was still sort of wall-dependent and scared! We did work on pre- and post-landing positions (glide) with the free leg and it was fun.

Later, hubby and I did some more pair hold and stroking, but his feet were hurting so he got off the ice.

Old Boot: Back edges were crappy, but I wasn't "in the mood" for them...so I didn't really care. I was out of control and going too fast on the insides and almost went down but caught myself in time. And, while everything is good as far as the jumps we worked on, I'm now told to "straighten that free leg when you land." Sheesh, it's always something! Never a moment to bask in the glory of "well done!" I did, and it was nice. I'm sore this morning-still recovering from pilates (we missed a week because of Thanksgiving) so she made up for it with a killer session!

Skate@Delaware
12-03-2005, 06:54 AM
I think I've done it when the European Waltz is playing and it definitely helps me even out the timing. Otherwise I start hopping the first mohawk and it all goes downhill from there! Thanks for the tips on pattern placement, too, e-skater!
Mika,
When hubby was learning the mohawk, because of his lack of flexibility, he cheated it with a hop and started calling it a "mo-hop"!!!

When he started to get it (sort-of) he called it the "mo-hope" as in...I hope I can do mo'

I don't know what he will do with chocktaws! :lol:

phoenix
12-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Gold Medal: Things finally seem to be starting to gel a bit with my partner. Our timing is vastly different, & to my horror, it's the GIRL who has to change & follow the boy--what's that about?! But it's starting to work, so that's really good. Even though my way is better. :halo:

Old Boot: My private lesson today was a total meltdown, turned out to be one of those days when the spirit was willing but the body was very weak! It ended up being endless drills focused on producing more knee bend & my quads are going to hate me tomorrow. :giveup:

e-skater
12-03-2005, 03:49 PM

I couldn't believe someone else tried this to the waltz music. Isn't it great?! I think it could be what got me a "good mohawks and good cadence" comment on my test. Or maybe luck. :lol: The other thing I had to drill on was that dreaded step forward (#4....). What helped immensely was body position and solid BO edge on step 3......

e-skater
12-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Mika,

When he started to get it (sort-of) he called it the "mo-hope"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jazzpants
12-03-2005, 04:27 PM
When hubby was learning the mohawk, because of his lack of flexibility, he cheated it with a hop and started calling it a "mo-hop"!!!

When he started to get it (sort-of) he called it the "mo-hope" as in...I hope I can do mo'

I don't know what he will do with chocktaws! :lol:http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d015.gif

My primary coach calls my mohawk a "mo-hop" too!!! Maybe I borrow your husband's term: "mo-hope???" :P

I call my choctaws the "choke"-taws... as in I'm gonna choke on this choctaws.

Old Boot:

Not skating today!!! GRRRR!!! Practically ALL the ice rinks are busy Saturday afternoon and into the evening. WAAAAY too crowded!!! Have to rearrange my work and gym time again so I can get in my ice time. Which almost always means... I have to readjust my sleep time. NO FUN!!! :cry:

Gold Medal:

I guess I can go to the gym on Saturdays now!!!

The funny note of the day came from the guy at the ticket stand at my home rink... when I asked how the crowd is... he said "Are you used to the Monday night session as it is??? Then you REALLY don't want THIS one! :lol: Trust me on this!!!" (This leads to the comment that you've been at the rink too much... when the guys at the ticket booth not only recognizes you, but knows your skating schedule and your tolerance level for crowds!!! :twisted: :lol: )

Skate@Delaware
12-03-2005, 06:11 PM
http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/frech/d015.gif

My primary coach calls my mohawk a "mo-hop" too!!! Maybe I borrow your husband's term: "mo-hope???" :P

I call my choctaws the "choke"-taws... as in I'm gonna choke on this choctaws.
I'll have to remember that about the choke-taws! Borrow away about the mo-hope, as I see we are not the originators!!!
Gold Medal: I guess I can go to the gym on Saturdays now!!!
The funny note of the day came from the guy at the ticket stand at my home rink... when I asked how the crowd is... he said "Are you used to the Monday night session as it is??? Then you REALLY don't want THIS one! :lol: Trust me on this!!!" (This leads to the comment that you've been at the rink too much... when the guys at the ticket booth not only recognizes you, but knows your skating schedule and your tolerance level for crowds!!! :twisted: :lol: )
I get this at my rink-I'm there about 10 hours a week (I need it-you'd think with all that skating I'd be Olympic level by now OR have enough time to work on ALL the things I need to-I can't seem to get to everything! :frus: :frus: ). I'm also recognized by the "regulars" who attend the public sessions during the daytime. They used to ask me when I teach (I wear the skate club jacket) and because I'm always there and NOT wearing jeans-just skating stuff which sets you apart, I guess).

And, yes, I've been more assertive!! When people have asked me for help and i'm working on stuff, I let them know I'm working on stuff and can't really help them right now. It's actually nice to get more done without constant interruption (except one guy forgets, but he is way old so I forgive him). But I haven't skated much this week because I've been working in my sewing sweatshop on show costumes (I'm almost done!!!).

And today I was walking with the rink float for a Christmas Parade (making sure the kids didn't fall off). Which was ok, since I would have been there anyway...my son walked with the scouts (he was at the beginning, we were at the end). It was fun but with the wind chill it was like 20F!! I had one of those thermal patches on my chest so only my ears and toes were cold. We spent more time waiting for the parade to start than the actual parade took (about one mile). We were two spaces in front of Philadelphia Mummers!!! That was cool!

aussieskater
12-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Mika,

Why, chock-hops, I guess!

mikawendy
12-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Mika,

Lol!!!

My choctaws are probably "shock-taws" as in "it's shocking how little they look like choctaws"! And my coach loves to stick them (and closed mohawks) into people's programs!

Skate@Delaware
12-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Lol!!!

My choctaws are probably "shock-taws" as in "it's shocking how little they look like choctaws"! And my coach loves to stick them (and closed mohawks) into people's programs!
How about "choke-taws"??? Because I'm sure that many choke-up when it comes time to do them! (count me in!)

We had "show rehearsal" this morning-it was really weird because our routines worked well 8O (not withstanding the usual complaints about going too fast from the newer girls, which I can totally understand)!! Then, we had to change into our "show" costumes for pictures and stand in front of the float for almost an hour while we were positioned. The float was parked at the zamboni doors. Everyone was warned "no jumping or spinning in the costumes or you are out of the show!!!" Do you know how hard that is?? I haven't seen the pictures yet, but someone else said they are nice. I'll post when they become available.

No other skating today-4 costumes to sew, 2 to alter.....and who knows what after this.... :roll:

Hannahclear
12-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Gold Medal:

I did a clean program run through today. Completely clean. Landed every jump. Landed lutz/loop. Second lutz was pretty big and fast. Flip/toe at the last part of the program. Salchow and loop without problems. I did the footwork, I did the spiral sequence. I hit both the spins.

It just doesn't get any better than that right now. I'm thrilled, and it's still about two months from needing to be competition ready. I can't believe how far I've come from the last program I did, back in early 03. Then, I was wheezing by the minute mark and almost never got through a runthrough at all, let alone clean. Even back in high school, when I skated all the time, I would always bail rather than go through the whole thing. Now, I'm doing two run throughs per week, no excuses and getting cleaner all the time.

Old Boot:

Though I was pleased with the runthrough, I still have plenty to improve. Lutz/loop could be much bigger and smoother between jumps. I'm still not "checking" between lutz and loop. I just kinda hang on. :D The footwork could be alot smoother. I skipped the tricky turn into second lutz, but would like to get that back in. I also substituted a back scratch for the planned back camel.

Moves were a little frustrating today. Power 3s are such an issue for me. The rest I feel is getting better, but I am really really stuck on those.

Skate@Delaware
12-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Gold Medal:

I did a clean program run through today. Completely clean. Landed every jump. Landed lutz/loop. Second lutz was pretty big and fast. Flip/toe at the last part of the program. Salchow and loop without problems. I did the footwork, I did the spiral sequence. I hit both the spins.

It just doesn't get any better than that right now. I'm thrilled, and it's still about two months from needing to be competition ready.

WOO HOO!!! Sounds wonderful! And with 2 months still to go!

Ah, if I could be so lucky :giveup:

jazzpants
12-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Old Boot:

Funny thing happened on the way to my weekend rink... there was a BOMB SCARE on the way to the bridge and I was stuck waiting a good 30-40 minutes ON THE BAY BRIDGE!!! (It was like a parking lot!!!)

The story is here: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=local&id=3694247

Thank goodness I finally got to the rink and I still had a good 20 minutes of practice before the ice cut... after the ice cut and everyone skates again...the ZOO begins again!!! :evil:

Gold Medal:
I did manage to get in some isolated practice on the moves and they're looking pretty good.

I also landed 3 out of 10 loops this afternoon!!! WOO HOO!!! I also landed one flip (out of at least a dozen of them.... GRRRRR!!!) and that was IT!!! Also came close to landing a lutz this afternoon too! :mrgreen:

Skate@Delaware
12-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Jazzpants:
That must have been scary, especially being on the bridge!

Congrats on your loop!! The thing is....these jumps are ones that are hard but you are doing them!!

I'm still trying on the loop (it's mostly a confidence issue-we discovered it during lessons last week-I'm leaning AWAY from that edge! :oops: )

e-skater
12-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Old Boot:

I did manage to get in some isolated practice on the moves and they're looking pretty good.

I also landed 3 out of 10 loops this afternoon!!! WOO HOO!!! I also landed one flip (out of at least a dozen of them.... GRRRRR!!!) and that was IT!!! Also came close to landing a lutz this afternoon too! :mrgreen:

Good for you on loop and flip ........ and getting closer to lutz!!! :D :D :D
I've been doing a loop for a while, and sometimes still land three out of ten!!!! :roll: :evil:

And especially that moves are looking good......