View Full Version : which radius - Phantom?

blisspix
11-27-2005, 05:09 PM
So the waltz jump thread has me interested in a Pro-filer :) as I often find it quite difficult to arrange sharpening otherwise.

But I'm terrible at math and have no idea which radius I need for my Phantoms (plain, no k-pick or special or whatever).

When I used to go to a pro, I often got a medium to deep grind, but I have no idea what measurement it was. Pro-filer has these options -

1/2" radius - moderate freestyle
3/8" radius - general freestyle
5/16" radius - aggresive freestyle or dance

I like a grippier feel for jump landings and loop takeoffs, and something a little softer for three turns and spins.

I'm leaning towards 3/8" but I'm not 100% sure that it's what I need. Pro-filer site lists Phantom factory grind at 7/16" however, since the blades were second hand I don't know what they are actually at now.

Any advice?

doubletoe
11-27-2005, 06:42 PM
So the waltz jump thread has me interested in a Pro-filer :) as I often find it quite difficult to arrange sharpening otherwise.

But I'm terrible at math and have no idea which radius I need for my Phantoms (plain, no k-pick or special or whatever).

When I used to go to a pro, I often got a medium to deep grind, but I have no idea what measurement it was. Pro-filer has these options -

I like a grippier feel for jump landings and loop takeoffs, and something a little softer for three turns and spins.

I'm leaning towards 3/8" but I'm not 100% sure that it's what I need. Pro-filer site lists Phantom factory grind at 7/16" however, since the blades were second hand I don't know what they are actually at now.

Any advice?

I would imagine it would be easier to go from a larger radius of hollow to a smaller one than the other way around, so why not start with 1/2" and see how you like it. If it doesn't feel "grippy" enough, go up to 3/8". I get mine sharpened at 1/2" and they feel plenty grippy, especially right after sharpening. I have my MK Gold Stars sharpened every 30 hours so they never lose their grip between sharpenings.

starskate6.0
11-27-2005, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=blisspix]So the waltz jump thread has me interested in a Pro-filer :) as I often find it quite difficult to arrange sharpening otherwise.

About the gind.

I use my ability to stop as a gauge to the grind i need. After a sharpening Ill go strait on the ice and skate like nothing has happened and go out there and do T-stops after that ill do edges as deep as I can with Knees very bent like a dancer . If I feel comfortable with the blades and I dont have to stuggle its a good grind. give it a go. :D

starskate6.0
11-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Sorry about that I screwed that up a little...

I have sharpened skates for 15 years but now i let someone else do it because I can't afford a machine. But heres my 2 cents' ;)
A lot of it is totaly about your ability to handle the edge, how capable you are on the edge you have, and most of all feeling comfortable on the grind.
One grind for one is not good for all..

Iv been on a 3/8ths on a phantom most of my skating career. But When I first started I went a little shallow. As I progressed to bigger jumps and deeper edges I went a little deeper. I gauge on my ability to stop and hold and edge.
After a sharpening Ill go on the ice and do stops , lots of stops on both feet and all edges to feel a comfort zone, then I go out and do very deep edges like a dancer. If I feel comfortable its a good grind...give it a go.. :D
Im on Phantoms and Im on 3/8ths your weight and power is also a contributing factor. If you are a light weight you may not want to go so deep unless your doing triples.. ;)

blisspix
11-27-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm mostly only doing singles these days, but I tend to have fairly big jumps so deeper may be better in that case.

And I'm not as much of a lightweight as I used to be ;)

N-square
11-28-2005, 04:45 AM
I have a question, but I don't want to post a new thread, because it's also about Phantom.
What's the difference between Phantom and Phantom special?
My coach said I should get Phantom, but it is the same price as Phantom special.

techskater
11-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Specials have a solid front plate versus the normal cut out and they are also dovetail tapered and are harder to sharpen.

blisspix
11-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Phantom Specials can also be a little harder to come by, which may or may not be an issue depending on where you are located (eg, if you have to replace your blades in a hurry for some reason).