View Full Version : Music

kittie067
11-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Can anyone suggest some music for my program?

I really liked pearl harber, but my coach said it was too sad.

I like movie soundtracks, but anything else is okay.

I'm a seventeen year old girl, skating at the pre preliminary level.

I also like last of the mohicans, and anything Irish.

Thank you!

~kittie

Debbie S
11-27-2005, 02:16 PM
You could try the soundtrack from the movie "Far and Away". A girl at my rink, who just tested up to Pre-Prelim FS, skates to that for her FS program - the music has slow and fast parts. And it's an Irish theme.

TimDavidSkate
11-27-2005, 02:48 PM
It is hard to suggest somebody a music piece without watching them skate.
But here are some good Pre-Prelim programs. The safest bet are to go with slow programs. (for 1:40 to 2:10 programs)
- The Mission soundtrack
- Any Disney soundtrack will work
- Swan Lake
- Musicals (The King and I, Sound of Music)

Let us know what you pick

Tim David
-------------------
Tim David's Website (http://www.Timdavid.org)

doubletoe
11-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Can anyone suggest some music for my program?

I really liked pearl harber, but my coach said it was too sad.

I like movie soundtracks, but anything else is okay.

I'm a seventeen year old girl, skating at the pre preliminary level.

I also like last of the mohicans, and anything Irish.

Thank you!

~kittie

I am currently skating to Last of the Mohicans and I love it. I use the Scottish/Irish sounding fiddle (violin) section for my footwork and it is very dramatic. The only thing about this music is that it is powerful, so your skating must be powerful as well.

kittie067
11-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I've already skated to far and away. I love that music!

I dont know about musicals or disney, i asked my coach one time and i dont think she wants that. I look young, so i think she's afraid that will make me seem younger.

keep those suggestions coming.

~kittie

Isk8NYC
11-27-2005, 06:17 PM
How about some music from the Riverdance musicals? The soundtrack has a number of songs, all with an irish lilt, with varying speeds. Last year, I saw a cute program by a 13-14-yr old that was an actual irish step dance. Very nicely done, I thought.

Mrs Redboots
11-28-2005, 05:14 AM
The safest bet are to go with slow programs. (for 1:40 to 2:10 programs)
I agree about Disney, but I don't agree about slow music - what can look worse than a slow skater skating to slow music? If you're a pre-preliminary skater, you want fairly fast music.
How about some music from the Riverdance musicals? The soundtrack has a number of songs, all with an irish lilt, with varying speeds. Last year, I saw a cute program by a 13-14-yr old that was an actual irish step dance. Very nicely done, I thought.That can work beautifully (I, too, have seen it done), but you do need to make sure you can skate in time to the music. Something with a less defined rhythm may be better if you aren't too sure you can keep to the beat.

samba
11-28-2005, 05:31 AM
I think Last of the Mohicans is an excellent choice, also Gypsy King from River Dance.

jenlyon60
11-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Definitely make sure that the music matches your speed of skating.

Nothing worse than watching a skater without much flow trying to skate to something fast. Or a skate without much flow skating to something slow. It turns into the longest 1:30 (or whatever the duration is) of the observer's life.

At 17, you definitely don't want any of the cute type music that the younger pre-pres tend to use. OTOH, super mature music doesn't really fit the limitations of a pre-pre program, unless the skater is extremely good at interpretation (to the point where the skating skills are almost secondary).

JMO

BelleOnIce
11-28-2005, 09:57 AM
A few years ago there were a group of girl violinests called BOND.
I am not sure what there trackes were called but I know several people about your level skated to it. They sounded quite irish and fiddle like.
A girl at my old rink skated to it and it was lovely to watch, the music was fast and slow but it always had a good beat to it which kees peoples attention.
I am not sure wither BOND were a British group or were known in America?

Belle

climbsk8
11-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Bond is a British group, they have two CDs out and get a lot of attention (Alexei Yagudin's short program at the Olympics was set to "Winter.")

I hear all of these suggestions, and they're all beautiful, but they're all over-used. Judges get sick of music (as do your fellow skaters when one piece of music gets passed down to three or four other skaters in the same rink.)

There is an increasing number of CDs out there that take popular music, show tunes and jazz and set them in Orchestral arrangements. (This is good for skaters who have more flow.) There is also an increasing number of CDs out there that take classical music and set it to a techno, disco or rock beat (like Bond!) These are good for skaters who may have energy but not so much flow. The more recent the recording, the better. ITunes music store, amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com have a ton of info on their web site ... and you can listen to samples online.

It's actually fun to dig through, and there is SO MUCH music out there that nobody knows about! Plus, you'll save the rest of us from having to listen to Swan Lake or Last of the Mohicans or Riverdance!

*JennaD*
11-28-2005, 03:28 PM
I am skating to music from the Titanic right now ...andI really like it! But its also really sad :??