View Full Version : Saddest Day Ever...

sunshinepointe
11-27-2005, 11:54 AM
So my coach called me this afternoon and gave me an update on my rink....

He says that it's highly unlikely that the rink will ever open again. They're waiting for an insurance check and it doesn't look like they'll be getting enough money to cover the cost of mold intrusion and other renovations so...they'll probably just sell the lot and turn it into a bank or strip mall or something.

Ugh.

Great.

Now I can go to other rinks in the area, but it's not like it would be at my home rink. At my home rink they didn't care what you did on public sessions so I could only skate three days a week for about 8 hours including a private lesson for under 60 bucks.

Now I'll be lucky to skate 3-4 hours a week for that much, and only on freestyle sessions. Not that I mind freestyle sessions but I got so used to the "laid back" attitude of my rink.

Not to mention I don't think I'll be able to coordinate a time to work with my current coach so I'll probably end up having to switch coaches.

I'm so depressed right now I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll wait until after the holidays to sort all of this out. I was also planning on taking some dance classes but now I don't see that happening because the cost of skating will pretty much double for me.

:cry:

froggy
11-27-2005, 12:31 PM
sunshinepointe I feel for you! when things get really down I think of something I read somewhere it goes something like this...when things get so bad the only thing that can happen is for it to get better. You never know maybe those other rinks will suprise you and you'll feel right at home again! Don't let it get to your skating! Lots of luck on the changes and be strong!

happy skating! :o)

e-skater
11-27-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't know if you want to say, but is this rink in Arizona? I had read something about all the troubles at this one rink, and that it WAS supposed to reopen......just wondering if it was the same one. It's sad when you lose the rink you like.... :cry:

Chin up, though. :lol: I bet, because you sound like you love to skate, you will go to the other rinks in your region, and you'll get used to them. :lol:

TreSk8sAZ
11-27-2005, 12:51 PM
The one in Arizona (my rink) has reopened both sheets. That isn't the same rink.

That being said, I feel for you. We had a scare where we thought ours was going to shut down for good. Having to change rinks and coaches wasn't easy, but you just have to make the best of it. Best of luck to you and I hope that everything works out!

sunshinepointe
11-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Actually it's a rink in South Florida that got destroyed by the hurricane - the rink itself was still standing but the roof was ripped off, and then it rained causing HUGE mold intrustion among other damage.

Thanks for everyones support - I know I can make it work, it's just so disheartening to realize that there's a good chance I'll never skate at that rink again. There IS a possibility that it will reopen...but it's not looking good...

Ah well...I'll keep ya posted on what I decide to do... :frus:

NickiT
11-27-2005, 01:40 PM
That's very disappointing. I really feel for you. I hope that things turn out OK at another rink and that you find suitable sessions that fit in with your lifestyle. Keep us posted.

Nicki

e-skater
11-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Actually it's a rink in South Florida that got destroyed by the hurricane - the rink itself was still standing but the roof was ripped off, and then it rained causing HUGE mold intrustion among other damage.

Ah well...I'll keep ya posted on what I decide to do... :frus:
So sorry to hear this. Please take care and stay in touch about your decision, and future skating.

Mrs Redboots
11-28-2005, 05:10 AM
Could you get together with some of the other users of your rink and form some kind of action group to put pressure on the PTB to reopen it?

When our rink was under threat of closure this is exactly what happens - all the users banded together, figure skaters, dancers, hockey players - and an action group was formed which has been very successful as a pressure group. They are planning to build a brand-new leisure centre next door, including an Olympic-size ice-rink, but our rink will not now close until that has happened.