View Full Version : Questions on Sit spins and Loop jumps.

N-square
11-26-2005, 10:26 AM
I find it difficult to stand up after I sit spin, and I cannot
jump high for my loop. How can I stand up after my spin, and how can I jump higher?? I don't think it's just the loop that I can't jump high(it's the worst), but also other jumps. :roll:

NickiT
11-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Practise doing lots of squats to strengthen your thighs. This will help make it easier to come up after the sit spin. Other than that, it's just practice, practice, practice. As for the loop, the more speed and knee bend you have going into the jump the more height you will achieve. Think of springing up on the take-off.

Nicki

Skate@Delaware
11-26-2005, 11:29 AM
try doing pistol squats-they've helped me, tho' i've got a loooong way to go
http://www.sk8rland.com/users/tkahline/

click on the file for pistols, it's from the book The Naked Warrior (an excellent book about working out with just your body's weight as a tool!)

N-square
11-26-2005, 03:24 PM
I can't open the file with WinZip

MQSeries
11-26-2005, 04:08 PM
While you're in the sit spin position, try putting both hands on the skating knee and pushing yourself up that way.

For the loop jump I see that a lot of beginner tend to rush the jump and get up into the air before their skating leg is fully extended. Think about extending the skating leg straight as youre toe-pick as the last thing that leave the ice on the loop.

kayskate
11-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I learned to get up from a deep sit by bringing my free leg in and pushing up w. the free toe. I did not leave the free foot on the ice (in a 2-foot spin) but picked it up again for a scratch finish. It will not take long before you have the strength to eliminate this training exercise. I think it is a worthwhile stepping stone b/c you can learn to achieve the position, balance in the position, etc w/o worrying about the rise on one foot. The strength will come along w/ mastering all of the other parts. Of course, the exercises others have mentioned will help too! :)

Kay