View Full Version : Fabric for Skating Dress

miraclegro
11-25-2005, 08:42 AM
I am working on embellishing an existing skating dress. Our fabric store - JoAnns does not carry stretch lace on the bolt. Any suggestions as to anywhere to locate?

Also, any websites who may show different designs - i am looking to embellish my dark jewel green dress with bell sleeves to look "Medieval" for the Christmas show - Manheim Steamroller's "Fum FUm FUm" is the music. Am trying to get ideas for the front - something i may possibly detach later.

Hope this isn't too many questions -- appreciate any input! - Miraclegro

Joan
11-25-2005, 09:06 AM
I bought several types of stretch fabric from this place, and was very satisfied with the price, quality and speed of shipping.

http://www.spandexhouse.com/product.asp

skaternum
11-25-2005, 10:22 AM
I second the vote for Spandex House. It's very well run -- very professional. They'll send you samples, and you can call and talk to them about special requests for stuff you don't see on the website. They have everything you can think of ! Good prices too.

Note: I am not affiliated with this store. It's just that my skating friends and I have ordered from them for a long time.

Skate@Delaware
11-25-2005, 02:22 PM
another good place is http://www.fabric.com they are very prompt with shipping and have a good selection. It is a sad thing that Jo-Anne's doesn't carry as much fabric as they used to.....ours has more "craft items" instead. :cry:

e-skater
11-25-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm going to visit the sites suggested. Thank you! I make my own practice (and sometimes test and competition dresses), and have been on the lookout for some internet fabric sources. Janet

blisspix
11-26-2005, 02:44 AM
Also, any websites who may show different designs - i am looking to embellish my dark jewel green dress with bell sleeves to look "Medieval" for the Christmas show - Manheim Steamroller's "Fum FUm FUm" is the music. Am trying to get ideas for the front - something i may possibly detach later.

Personally I wouldn't recommend bell sleeves unless you are also going for a full empire front. I find bell sleeves can look odd on ice, a little puffy unless the style is fully carried out throughout the dress.

You could do a mock empire front - a slightly gathered bust with a ribbon or other embelishment.

Skate@Delaware
11-26-2005, 06:34 AM
Maybe you could attach an overskirt just under the bust, to make a mock-empire. It would be pretty in something soft, like a chiffon. you could add a stretch sequin trim to cover and add sparkle. You didn't say if your dress has long sleeves or not. If it doesn't have sleeves, you could always add "poufs" made out of the same fabric (chiffon) and use stretch sequin trim at the wrist and elbow. It's a quick thing to do and looks nice.

e-skater
11-26-2005, 08:15 PM
I tried bell sleeves once on a dress I was making for a number from Shrek. I found that they don't flow well, fall "up" the arm, etc. I saw some ideas below which sounded very good to me. Another idea is, if you could find the color that is, to sew a chiffon triangle into the sleeve seam....it gives the effect of wings sort of, but also could look medieval. I think this look is flowing and adds to the dress without looking heavy, or ending up being the focus of the garment.

miraclegro
11-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Well, ya'll, thanks for all the tips. I finally relented and gave the green long-sleeved dress to a skater mom who does beautiful work. I only have 2 weeks before the show and i became chicken. I can sew, but i was really nervous about running all over town and getting all the "right" things at the last minute. I had purchased a matching green lacey fabric, and we'll attach gold underneath and make it look like a bell sleeve from the elbow down. She does beautiful work and will embellish the neck line. I had an idea about lace overlay in the front, but i couldn't do that because my lace wasn't stretch. Maybe next time i can order from these companies.

The stretch fabric was scaring me a little, although i sew a lot of other things. Maybe i'll post a picture when i get the dress back if i can figure out how to do that.....

You all are terrific! Blessings, M-gro

Thin-Ice
11-28-2005, 02:53 AM
Another good place for any kind of ribbon or trim is MJ Trim... I believe the website is (cleverly enough) mjtrim.com.

Have fun with your holiday show!