View Full Version : What level to work on stroking?

kermit
11-24-2005, 02:14 PM
In regards to Skate Canada, I am curious as to what level does your club starts to work on stroking or basic forward skating. Is it introduced at Canskate level or do they not start working on stroking until they reach Starskate levels?

I'm just curious as my daughter, who is five years old, is currently working on her level 4 badge (I think that's what its called) in Canskate and still skates very stiff-legged without much bend in her knees. I was thinking that it would probably help her learn to do crossovers (when skating in circles) if she would bend her knees more. I also thought that maybe she is skating so stiff-legged as she is trying not to trip over the front picks on her skates. At her club, the skaters usually do a couple laps (forwards and a little backwards skating) at the beginning of lessons, but I don't see any emphasis placed on just "forward" skating skills.

Also, at what level will her skates need a "figure skate" sharpening rather than just a "recreational" sharpening?

My thanks in advance for any replies.

Tennisany1
11-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Also, at what level will her skates need a "figure skate" sharpening rather than just a "recreational" sharpening?

First, YES! I didn't know any better and when I finally took my daughter's skates to a figure skating shop the tech looked at me and asked "can she actually skate on these blades?" The problem, as it was explained to me, is that many recreational places are set up for hockey skates and can't deal with toe picks. This means the sharpening ends about 2 cm before the picks and after a few sharpenings a bump starts to form. This can make it much more difficult to skate. Must say I felt like a complete idiot - but I'm not a skater so I guess how would I know? :oops:

About the stroking, I believe in levels 4 and 5 they start to work on cross overs and stroking. A lot will depend on your childs muscle development. I read somewhere that kids often don't get complete control of their leg muscles until they are six or seven so while some may be able to get a nice knee bend at five it may take others a bit longer.

slusher
11-25-2005, 09:44 AM
You've hit on my biggest pet peeve with Canskate (and I've PA'd on the program for years) is that skating confidently at speed isn't workable within the program. It's a level 6 skill, but since most kids at level 4 or 5 move on to junior/prelimin or some sort of pre-introductory Starskate program, you don't see it in Canskate and then the Starskate or private coaches spend a LOT of time on it. Depending on how the Canskate coach runs the session, there might be 40 minutes of group work in a confined space. It's hard to build up speed in that set up. There is supposed to be a sustained stroking component, usually in warm up, but again, depending on who runs it, it can be a leisurely warm up and no one goes around giving instruction on knee bend, pushing or any of that proper stroking technique.

Crosscuts are introduced early, in a learning progression from level two (fwd 2 foot sculling) onwards, but you don't see them as crosscuts until about level five. (circle thrusts, clockwise/ccw)

It sounds like the program you are attending doesn't meet the needs of your child and honestly, they won't change the program for one kid. I would hire a coach for a 15 minute private lesson during Canskate time. The coach would just pull your child from the group and work on anything you ask, such as stroking. Ask your club for their freelance coach list.

I've got a bunch of kids in my level 5-6 group that are all stiff legged, I called them flamingos last week and they thought themselves charming. We do a lot of perimeter stroking, with squats, bubbles and circle pushing to find the feel of an edge, of a lobe and learning that leaning into it enhances knee bend. I hope by March that they'll be softer on their feet because I've got to teach them the Dutch Waltz by then!

JumpinBug
11-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Well, it's supposed to work that the early levels build the skills in order that later, more difficult ones, can be more easily executed, and that skaters have learned the necessary techniques. In theory.

I don't have my sheets sitting here with me (and I tend to mix things up slightly), but for say, bending knees... by level 2 they're doing forward half-sit glide and sculling, both of which are knee benders. I try not to pass kids who aren't bending their knees at all for sculling as I find it becomes a problem later on - it's easier to start out with knees bending than try to correct it on harder moves.

As for stroking... by level 2 they're doing push/glide sequence, which aims at teaching proper push position (turning feet out), bending knees, using both legs, and timing. Honestly, it's one of the worst things to have to teach as the kids hate taking the time to turn the feet out, etc. But... oh so important.

In level 4 I believe they do walking crosscuts, which should be emphasizing picking feet up and over, and not twisting the body or feet. The kids who master proper walking ones (and not at zippy speed) do better when it comes to real ones on the circle. The kids who try and do walking ones sloppily and too fast repeat that with real crosscuts.

Some clubs do private lessons at the Canskate level, some don't. If you can, take her out for public skating. The more they skate, even basic going forwards, makes a huge difference. Mental comfort can cause more relaxation throughout the body.

Boots and blades can also make a difference - dull blades make it hard to really push properly, and leave them unable to feel the difference.

Raye
11-29-2005, 02:46 PM
I have had my granddaughter's skates "figure skate sharpened" right from the get-go when she was five. For the past three months, I have had her take one 15 minute private lesson a week along with her Canskate sessions. She is at Canskate 5 right now, and although she is having private lessons, I don't want her moving up to Junior Figure until she has all the basics that are covered by the Canskate program.

Novice Spirals
11-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Work on beginning stroking at Badge 3 and really emphasize it from there on up. By the time a skater is Basic 8/Freestyle 1, they should be improving their stroking immensely.