View Full Version : where did my waltz jump go?

blisspix
11-22-2005, 10:46 PM
I've been doing waltz jumps for 12 years. And suddenly, the last few weeks, I've had trouble with them! I don't know if it's the Phantoms or something else, but when I try to take off, I just don't go anywhere! My left foot stays on the ground.

On more successful attempts, my foot leaves the ice much later than it ever used to, and it feels like I'm sliding along the length of the blade up to the toe picks (sort of rocking forwards on the blade) before the take off. Obviously I always rocked up to the picks but it is feeling much more pronounced lately. So it's affecting my timing. This is really weird, and I can't work out whether this is a sort-of-good thing or a really bad thing.

My axel is suffering the same problems, but the axel has so many other problems anyway!

Any tips???

Thin-Ice
11-23-2005, 02:23 AM
Did you recently have your skates sharpened? If so, check the rocker on your blade. You may be down to a relatively flat blade so you can't get as much of that rocking-forward motion.. which means your forward momentum could be getting left on the ice... or you may have a less rounded rocker.. which would make your blade feel/look something like a stair and would stop the forward flow of motion.. although when you hit the "right" spot on your blade, you would still be able to jump forward.

Is there any difference in your other jumps?

sue123
11-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Well, I ca't help you find yours, but I know mine went with all the cartilage in my knee for a little sightseeing trip, it seems. I'm right now on a search to find it. Good luck with finding yours.

TimDavidSkate
11-23-2005, 03:13 PM
There are times any jumps or spins might escape you one day, or even a week. It might be because you are tired.
Don't worry, it will come back to you when you will need it, Promise :halo:

I went through times where I could not even do a Loop jump, for a week or so I think. But when competition or exhibition comes, it magically appears :D

Don't sweat it too much, the worse thing you can do is carry your anxiety to your next practice session. It has taken me 8 years to get over it :cry:

blisspix
11-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Blades haven't been sharpened in a while, but they're still ok. But yes, the rocker is starting to get a little slippy.

Other jumps are ok which is why the whole thing seems so strange.

Fingers crossed that it will return this weekend (I'm trying out a new session)

TimDavidSkate
11-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Blades haven't been sharpened in a while, but they're still ok. But yes, the rocker is starting to get a little slippy.

Other jumps are ok which is why the whole thing seems so strange.

Fingers crossed that it will return this weekend (I'm trying out a new session)

ahhh... I never sharpen my blades, ever, I never trust the final outcome.
It has been different everytime somebody does my blades.
So since 2000, I just been honing my blades with a honing stone.

blisspix
11-23-2005, 06:11 PM

I've been tempted to get a sharpening kit - but I don't trust myself to not make a mistake!!! :oops:

Joan
11-23-2005, 06:22 PM
ahhh... I never sharpen my blades, ever, I never trust the final outcome.
It has been different everytime somebody does my blades.

I use the profiler kit

TimDavidSkate
11-23-2005, 06:48 PM
I use the profiler kit

Yeps thats the one I have, I only use the stone, I don't know how to use the rest :halo: Isn't it so convinient? :)

russiet
11-23-2005, 07:00 PM
I use the profiler kit

Me too. I'm very happy with the results. It creates a rather large bur that has to be carefully and diligently honed-off. The end result is never as wicked sharp as the a grinding machine will produce, but I always felt that was too grabby anyway.

Back to the Waltz Jump disapearance. Mine went astray for the first month of the fall until I started lessons again. It was pointed out to me that I needed to turn my body to the outside and pause before stepping forward. I had been making way too big of a wind-up and also rushed through it.

I also slowed down the speed and did them it over and over. Now things are better and back up to speed.

Jon

singerskates
11-23-2005, 10:53 PM
I've noticed that my waltz jump is not that great right now either. But I know why, I'm still adjusting to new boots and new blades. Both which are different from 5 months ago when I was training regular. I've still not got my blades where they should be for me to properly balanced. My blades don't have a deep enough hollow for my liking either. I'm use to a much deeper hollow that I current ly have. To me, my hollow feets flat. I can barely hold my LFO edge to take off on my waltz jump. My salchow is non-existant because I'm nervous when my edge slips out on me during the LFO edge before the 3turn can happen. So it's a reason why my waltz jumps are not as high as they were last May. I haven't even touched my flip or lutz yet. but then you'd be nervous to jump too with only two screws in the ball of your blade plate and two screws in the heel on each foot.

Oh, well. This won't be like this for me for long. I most likely will have my skates fixed sometime this week.

Then once they are fixed, I'll have no excuses. LOL

If you're having problems it's time for either sharpening or some tweaking of your skates.

"Just Have Fun!"
From Brigitte of Competitive Adult Skaters.

Tessie
11-27-2005, 09:23 AM
I posted this on the weekly thread on practice triumphs and follies. I seemed to have lost my waltz jump as well. :frus:

Total Turkey -
Can't seem to execute a waltz jump consistently. Maybe this should be in the "look like an adult" thread. For the past 2 weeks, I just seem to be stuck in take off position or not kicking my free leg through. Muscle memory is just not there. Any one else go through this "phase" of skating life?

doubletoe
11-27-2005, 02:54 PM
I posted this on the weekly thread on practice triumphs and follies. I seemed to have lost my waltz jump as well. :frus:

Total Turkey -
Can't seem to execute a waltz jump consistently. Maybe this should be in the "look like an adult" thread. For the past 2 weeks, I just seem to be stuck in take off position or not kicking my free leg through. Muscle memory is just not there. Any one else go through this "phase" of skating life?

Oooohh yeeeeaaaahhh. . . It's called the axel, LOL! Same takeoff, same mess-ups, no matter how long you've been landing them! The waltz jump/axel takeoff is just a weird takeoff and there are so many little things you can do wrong. I'm not sure why you aren't bringing your free leg through, but if you are getting stuck in the takeoff position, try curving your takeoff edge a tiny bit more so that you're over the left hip (assuming you take off from your left foot). It will also help to keep your right shoulder pulled back when you're on the takeoff edge. Finally, remember to get your chest over your knee over your toe on the takeoff edge, then roll up onto your toepick and point your toes as you take off. These jumps always come back; sometimes they just have to torture you for awhile before they do. ;)

blisspix
11-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the tips... yes it's definitely time for a sharpen but it's kind of a nightmare to think about the dropping off and picking up and timings etc. Hopefully next week. Must look into a profiler kit.

I went to a new session (well, new to me) on Saturday and the waltz was marginally better. I tried to pull it in a bit so I went up more than across which helped a little. I think I'm also leaning too much over my right side when I do the preparation. I tend to prepare for too long before I step onto the left foot and take off.

Axel was marginally better too, still landing forwards (1/2 turn cheated) but I'm not in some crazy crouching sit spin position when I land.

Kick through still needs work though. hmm.

doubletoe
11-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah, that RBO prep. edge gets me, too. When I totally lost my axel last year I tried doing it from a loop landing and that's how I got it back. Land the loop (or toeloop), then step out to your left and push yourself outside of your circle. Quickly make sure your shoulders are squared, then immediately take off, springing up off the toe.

Tessie
11-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Oooohh yeeeeaaaahhh. . . It's called the axel, LOL! Same takeoff, same mess-ups, no matter how long you've been landing them! The waltz jump/axel takeoff is just a weird takeoff and there are so many little things you can do wrong. I'm not sure why you aren't bringing your free leg through, but if you are getting stuck in the takeoff position, try curving your takeoff edge a tiny bit more so that you're over the left hip (assuming you take off from your left foot). It will also help to keep your right shoulder pulled back when you're on the takeoff edge. Finally, remember to get your chest over your knee over your toe on the takeoff edge, then roll up onto your toepick and point your toes as you take off. These jumps always come back; sometimes they just have to torture you for awhile before they do. ;)

Thanks - I do find that I am not on the outside edge enough, nor bending my left knee for spring.

blisspix
11-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Yeah, that RBO prep. edge gets me, too. When I totally lost my axel last year I tried doing it from a loop landing and that's how I got it back. Land the loop (or toeloop), then step out to your left and push yourself outside of your circle. Quickly make sure your shoulders are squared, then immediately take off, springing up off the toe.

Oooh I'll give it a go on Wednesday! Sounds good. Sounds like a great way to force a short takeoff.