View Full Version : Terrific or Turkey: 21-28 November 2005

Mrs Redboots
11-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Since I believe some of you will be eating turkey later this week!

Terrific: We were back on the ice and it was our lesson day.

Terrible: Just about everything else. Our spin has vanished completely, simply isn't there. When we did exercises, they weren't very good. Even found out we'd been misunderstanding an essential element of our partnering - where I should be standing when in waltz hold!

I was too disheartened to stay on the ice for long after the Husband got off, plus ended up in a long conversation about Child Protection in the coaches' room, so really only skated for about an hour. But I did have my conditioning lesson afterwards - so now I'm really stiff!

NickiT
11-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Terrific
I landed my lutz-loop yesterday. I was asked by my friend's teenage daughter to do it, but I told her that I hadn't done it since my accident and I would need to land my lutz a few times first, however I went to do a lutz and found myself landing lutz-loop. I am now back "elements-wise" to where I was before the fracture and surprised to have got back so quickly. I've only been back on the ice two weeks post-cast though I did skate in my cast three times (no jumps or spins though!).

Turkey
I'm suffering with a stiff neck and shoulders for which I'm receiving physio treatment at great expense. Also with it being so cold outside yesterday, it was cold inside too so I had to work really hard to keep warm!

Nicki

Skate@Delaware
11-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Turkey
I'm suffering with a stiff neck and shoulders for which I'm receiving physio treatment at great expense. Also with it being so cold outside yesterday, it was cold inside too so I had to work really hard to keep warm!

Nicki
I think I "caught" your stiff neck and shoulders (or you caught mine, since I've had it since last Thursday).....but I don't get to see my chiro until tomorrow!!! OUCH! and my head hurts too.... :cry: ok, I'll stop whining.

NickiT
11-22-2005, 01:11 PM
I think I "caught" your stiff neck and shoulders (or you caught mine, since I've had it since last Thursday).....but I don't get to see my chiro until tomorrow!!! OUCH! and my head hurts too.... :cry: ok, I'll stop whining.

I've had mine since Thursday too, and by the weekend it was agony - the most painful I've ever had! I didn't know where to put myself it was so bad! Funnily enough it came on after a session of physio. I've had another treatment today and my therapist said it was possible to have been caused by the treatment! I'm back tomorrow for another session and just hoping it sorts itself out soon. Hope you feel better soon too!

Nicki

AnnM
11-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Terrific: I finally started to get the ripping sound on crossrolls and power pulls in all directions -- yay! I didn't think it would ever be possible.

Turkey: It's still a long road ahead to get the power pull pattern all the way down the ice; gotta work on doing those with more speed & aggressiveness according to my coach. Also, I really need to wake up earlier on my lesson days, so that I can get more out of the freestyle session overall. There are always so may things I want to practice, but I can't ever stay after my lesson due to work.

jazzpants
11-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Turkey:

Primary coach is being a meanie again. The guy was physically blocking me while I was doing 5 step mohawk. He almost TRIPPED me in the process of doing it too. GRRRR!!! :evil: When I complained "Are you trying to trip me so I would FALL?" He laughs and says "No, I'm trying to block you!!!" (YEAH!!! Sure!!! ;) )
Had a one bad run thru on the perimeter back crossovers.
Kept hearing the word "PUSH" on the power 3's :roll: ... and I'm not even an expectant mom!!! :twisted:
Terrific:

Had a couple of good runthrus on the perimeter back crossovers and the back crossovers to BO edge.
He did managed to get a good 1/2 lap on the 5 step though toward the end though.
Overall: Well, we'll see. :roll: Sometimes I get it! Other times... :frus:

singerskates
11-22-2005, 10:40 PM
I've been off of the ice for a long time. So just being on the ice again feels great. I need to have my boots fully mounted as I onlly have 4 screws on each boot. And my sharpening needs to be changed from a recreational sharpening to a deeper hollow like when I was last training with my skating club. Inspite of sliipping off my edges, I was able to do decent waltz and toe loop jumps. My toe loops turned themselves because I finally am getting decent RFI3 with good exciting edges which sets me up nicely for my toe loops. I feel spoiled now.

IT's great to be back on the ice. Just wish I could make enough cash to take care of all my bills. I'm still now working. It's weird how I can skate but I can't swing my arms or move my hands very much without having pain like I had to do in my old job. Anyway I won't be going back to my old job. I'm going to either collect unemployment or get unemployment to train me in a different profession. Maybe they can help me finish my CGA. I have half of the credits for the CGA already. I'd really like to either have a desk job in accounting or teach music. Then I'd have a job I would like, have a job that doesn't bother my herniated discs and I'd still have time to train to compete.

Brigitte

blisspix
11-22-2005, 10:55 PM
terrific - I'm completely disturbed that my layback spin is now the more reliable of my spins - and usually centred. Disturbing because it used to be one I was really really bad at. Ballet must be paying off.

The little fix I came up with for my flip (start with a slight curve leaning on RFI, instead of a dead straight edge) is continuing to work a charm.

terrible - see waltz jump thread! Egads. Camel and sit spins have vanished completely.

Casey
11-23-2005, 05:03 AM
Terrific: Spins came back. Almost makes me want to take a few days off skating and then stay up all night before my next lesson, since that's what I did this time and it resulted in great skating. What is it about insomnia improving my skating ability, I don't know. It was on the hard brittle ice that I usually hate too.

Turkey: Went to an evening cheap skate session with a friend. It was really crowded - the ice wasn't *that* bad but there was no room. Since I was with friends I couldn't really get a terrible lot of practice in, but it was fun and an excuse to get back on the ice before another day passed, which is always good. :)

Skate@Delaware
11-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Terrific: Hit the ice yesterday for drop-in (and brought hockey-boy so he could work on some drills). After a very short warm-up (interrupted by hockey-boy because he said he was "bored") I worked on some jumps which were fair. The big news is -- my skates from Ebay arrived and fit wonderfully! I saved skating in them until the last 20 minutes of the session because the blades were terribly dull (I was doing the Bambi). They need to be sharpened and moved.....when I'm sure all is right, then I will mark where they line up and swap out blades (although my Comets are 1/4" longer, coach says that's ok; hey, big is big!) cleaned up, waterproofed, etc.

Turkey: Spins still suck! Must be the spasm in my back still throwing me off! And my timing for my routine is rushed.....and I was bailing on my toe-loop :frus: although when I ran-through without the music it was ok. I guess I just need to do it 50 million more times....and hockey-boy kept saying "where are all the people?" I did tell him it was a closed session, so I made him to all kinds of evil hockey drills!!! :twisted: HA! There were only three of us on the ice!!!

PS-my "new" used skates (competitors) have the same Mirage blade that came with my old jacksons....I did notice that the rocker on them was really rocky...much more so than on my comets. I'm going to mess around with them for a bit when they get back from sharpening (and after they are aligned properly-they need to be moved to the inside on both boots). AND, although the boots are the same as my "old" ones, they don't have the stiffness! My competitors are like bricks and I can't seem to break them in! I've done all I can and I don't have a crease at all! They aren't bending at the ankle (even with the flex-notch) :frus: When I put these other boots on it was remarkable in the difference!

Mrs Redboots
11-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Turkey: My coach spent most of the lesson trying to kill me, I'm quite convinced, and so I told everybody, loudly and long, with him roaring with laughter and going, "Do that again, please". What I was having to do was to do a couple of runs to build up edges and speed, then hold an outside edge and stick my free leg out to the side to deepen the edge and make me lean. At first it was totally counter-productive, as all that happened was that my foot fought being on an edge and kept going on to a flat, so I broke at the hip and looked most odd. In fact, it didn't really do anything other than scare me you-know-what-less during the lesson.....

Terrific: But I did manage to do it a bit afterwards. And after my lesson I managed my level 3 dance moves best I've ever done them. Not in my lesson, of course, that would have been far too much to hope for. But I really was able to give them some welly, and did them really surprisingly fast, for me. Still dead slow, of course, I shouldn't wonder.

No lesson for a fortnight now because of the British. Husband does have half an hour private lesson on Sunday, as he missed last week, and then we plan to begin to choreograph his free programme, which should be fun. I've already started to choreograph the beginning for him.

jazzpants
11-23-2005, 04:50 PM
"It's a SPIRAL DAY!!!" my secondary coach says she's gonna work on this morning!!! (I, of course, was prepared for CROSSOVERS!!! :roll: )

Terrific:
Good part is that I can get my spiral above my hip.

Turkey:
My hip is not turned out...b/c I don't have no stinkin' turnout!!! (My toes are actually pointing DOWN on the ice when I do spirals, which is NOT a pretty sight! She wants it pointing straight!!! She also thinks that I haven't developed enough leg strength to do those spirals right yet.) Sooo... I had to go up to the wall and she had to adjust me as I'm hanging onto the wall.

The "terrific" part of this turkey is that she didn't have to resort to her adjusting while I'm moving in a spiral position!!! She DID threaten to do that though. I saw her doing it with her previous young'um student... and as I recalled my reaction... "Oh, dear...." 8O (The only thing that saved me is that she can tell I was trying when she threatened it on me... she says "I can see your legs trembling as you tried to adjust your leg position.")

Then I had to work on getting a good Chinese spiral. That in itself was interesting, especially when an 8 year young lady skated by and watched my getting adjusted for the Chinese spiral. I said nonchalantly to the young lady "Oh, don't mind me!!! I'm just getting myself twisted up like a pretzel..." (I must have been reading secondary coach's mind too. She said "You know, I was just about to tell her that too.")

Secondary coach sentenced me to doing 15 spirals on each leg for all practices until I get it right...

Skate@Delaware
11-24-2005, 06:46 AM
"It's a SPIRAL DAY!!!" my secondary coach says she's gonna work on this morning!!! (I, of course, was prepared for CROSSOVERS!!! :roll: )
When my coach asks me what I want to work on...I just say "Whatever!" because if I set myself up to work on one thing, she usually wants me to do something else!
:giveup:
I think there is another thread on this board for spiral exercises......(hint hint) Doing them off ice is what really helped me get them high and turned out (I haven't got enough turn-out for anything, but anything helps!) Last year I did a million of them (both legs) off-ice (even in my office) and on-ice ....The hardest part for me was straightening the skating leg and pushing it forward YIKES!

Good Luck!!!

Terrific: Last night's run-through of the Figure-8 pattern, after some minor "adjustments" of my posture & arms....the forward crossovers are finally on it with the required number!! Of course, I had to yell at some people to get out of my way (my daughter and her friend were chatting where I wanted to go...and my coach got into the spirit of things by saying in a loud voice "Just skate through them-they'll move!" we are a bad influence on each other!) AND the run-through of my program, after we added more stuff! IT ROCKS!!! She added an attitude spiral (she wasn't sure I could do it-yeah I can now thanks to exercises...) AND I have started springing up on my Salchow! Of course, this happened after lessons but I figured "just to it!" One of the more advanced skaters commented on it and said it looked really good! :D AND I managed several good & centered scratch spins (with free leg crossed) and great toe-loops last night!!!

Turkey: Backward crossovers in the Figure-8 pattern! I'm still scratchy, altho not as much as before (recommendation: sit down more). Back sort of hunches over....and I need to add a one-leg transition between the circles 8O My waltz jumps were sort of crappy...don't know why.

I felt bad for really showing my age......my coach barely knew who Nadia Comenichi was.....I had to explain.....she said she was more a Mary-Lou Retton-era person. :cry:

Tessie
11-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Total Turkey -
Can't seem to execute a waltz jump consistently. Maybe this should be in the "look like an adult" thread. For the past 2 weeks, I just seem to be stuck in take off position or not kicking my free leg through. Muscle memory is just not there. Any one else go through this "phase" of skating life?

singerskates
11-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Well, I over adjusted my blades and now I'm a mess again in the jump department. But I now can do 10 revs in my forward upright without going into the spiralling edge to catch the spin. I still have to get my skates sharpened and the mounting complete. The only thing about doing the fast 10 revs in my spin is that my head is no longer use to spinning and I really can feel it. I'm spinning at about half as fast as my blur speed I had at the end of May but I really need to get use to that first before going full tilt.

Still can't bend my knees my boots are so stiff.

Any cheats out there to get the boots to break in quicker before I'm broken?

AnnM
11-24-2005, 11:54 PM
(My toes are actually pointing DOWN on the ice when I do spirals, which is NOT a pretty sight! She wants it pointing straight!!!

I used to have a problem with turnout on my left foot, which bugged me a bunch since it was the leg that I could get higher up. To work solely on turning out the toes/foot, I would get into a spiral position using a countertop or desktop at home, rest my entire left foot on the surface so that the toes were pointing straight, and then just 'pulse' my toes up (baby toe is leading) towards the ceiling with the heel still on the surface. It's a little unorthodox, and is probably not very clear, but it helped me get the muscle memory for the turnout. Even now when my coach tells me that my foot position is looking a bit off, I think of just lifting my toes toward the ceiling and I automatically get into the position she was looking for.

sceptique
11-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Terrific

Thanks to jenlyon60, I found myself a place to practice on Wednesdays and Thursdays. At night it's relatively empty and quiet, so I even could go through my programme end-to-end a few times. And another highlight is that I found out I can still speak some German, after totally abandoning it years ago! (The rink is in Germany, but it's only 30 min drive from my project office in Netherlands).

Turkey

Three last hectic weeks with very little off-ice workout took their toll: by the end of the session I was totally exhausted and out of breath. I need get back to the routine again.

The Ice Demon
11-25-2005, 02:44 AM
Terrific
Some good scratch spins and a few nice jumps. Getting the hang of my new footwork and choctaws. Change edge spiral goes ok sometimes. FO and FI figure of eigths are getting better. Coach taught me loops (the figure type) and I can do the loop bit on the right forward inside one, just need to get the hang of exiting out of them to complete the circle.

Turkey (gobble, gobble:P )
Axels a complete no go, my waltz jumps felt far too scary to even attempt one. No improvement on 2sal. BO and BI figure of eights are laughable. The worst thing that happened today though was that I fell on my first few warm up laps off the back of my left blade and the edge of my boot dug into my achilles heel. I skated the whole session even though it hurt but now can hardly walk my achilles is so sore. :cry: I've iced it and just hope it will be better in the morning. What a stupid way to injure myself!

I have had a bad back this week too, so sending Antiflam to everyone with stiff/sore backs, shoulders & necks!

Nicki T - congrats on getting your lutz-loop back so quick

Singerskates - you might not be in the right season at the moment, but if I leave my skates in my black car in the sun for the day before I skate they get are really soft. (I don't leave them there for this reason & security)

Mrs Redboots
11-25-2005, 05:58 AM
Turkey: Had serious trouble dragging myself out of bed this morning, so didn't skate as long as I should have liked with Husband.

Terrific: However, all the things we did do seemed to work very well. I felt I could stay really upright when we did runs round the circle (I am still having problems going anti-clockwise in reverse kilian hold, but that's all), and our chassés and swing rolls in waltz hold were good. We then started to try to do really controlled outside edges - Field Move type - in kilian hold, and plan to try those in all the holds. We didn't have time to do any work in Foxtrot hold or our spin or lifts, but they can live to fight another day!

Solo, my Dance Moves weren't as good as sometimes, but they were still there. I do have problems still getting on a half-decent back outside edge when solo; far easier with a partner! Did some circle cycle work and realised I still need to focus on turnout when going forwards. And still can't do any sensible backwards exercises. Oh well....

jazzpants
11-25-2005, 10:47 AM
I decided to go to coffee club session to skate on Thanksgiving. The turkey part of it was... so did everyone!!! :P :lol: (It ended up being a social skate. Usually not a great thing but... eh, I wasn't feel particularly productive anyway, and I haven't see a good bunch of these coffee club folks in a while, soooo...)

Terrific:

After some warming up, my power 3's got faster.
My FI mohawks were there. Well, what I normally have anyway... :roll: (but I'll take it. I can work with it.)
Day after Thanksgiving... I'm gonna be SUCH a lazy bum this morning! (No, I shop online anyway. No sense fighting the crowds anyway...besides, my job is near a shopping mall, so I'll go during lunch to shop if I really need to go shopping.
Turkey:

I am in serious need of a LOT of warmup time before I can skate moves well. It's not just a matter of warming up the muscles but being able to get used to the feel of the ice and where my weight is on the blade on that particular day.
Spirals sucks
Camel sucks (see above bullet on why it sucks...)
Loops and flips too.

NickiT
11-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Terrific
I did the best camel spin I've ever done in my life today, in my lesson! It went on and on and on and felt so easy! I was spinning and was so shocked I was shouting "Oh......my.....God!" as I spun around.

I also landed a decent loop-loop and lutz, followed by flip-loop and lutz-loop.

Turkey
I had a second attempt at skating half of my programme but it still feels very shaky. My coach and I agreed we will work on it every lesson from now on to get my confidence back on doing it.

It was an inset day here for some schools, including my kids', so I didn't stay on and skate the session and we decided against running the jumps class as it's impossible doing it when there are heaps of kids on the ice.

Nicki

Skate@Delaware
11-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Terrific: Called out today, felt I should take the day off and skate! They added an early morning skate (9-12) for $7 so hubby and I went! Weren't sure how crowded it would be....it wasn't! Got to run through my program (without music) a few times. Met another woman skater who recently moved to the area interested in lessons....she might stop by tonight and watch our all-adult class (she is a former teenage figure-skater).

Turkey: Because it was soooo cold last night AND there were both compressors running for the ice; ice was super-frozen (can u believe it?) and harder than normal! AND it was very cold inside the rink! The only difference between outside and in was the lack of wind! EVERYONE was remarking on how cold it was! Super-hard ice makes sticking jumps harder and makes spins travel more....but I managed a few decent spins and jumps.

Got home to find a message from skater friend; her skates had separated last week during show rehearsal (sole from boot) making them virtually useless. She has not been able to locate another pair of replacement skates within her budget....another pro-shop had a set in stock they wanted to sell her but they were over $500! OUCH!

Debbie S
11-25-2005, 02:59 PM
her skates had separated last week during show rehearsal (sole from boot) making them virtually useless. She has not been able to locate another pair of replacement skates within her budget....another pro-shop had a set in stock they wanted to sell her but they were over $500! OUCH!
Your friend should call the boot company (whichever brand they are) and arrange to send them back for free repair. Obviously, she won't have them in time for the show, but she doesn't need to spend her own money to resolve the problem.

Terrific - am taking a break from skating since Monday, until this coming Monday probably, unless I want to haul myself out of bed really early on Sunday morning. But it's nice to have a bit of a break, especially since I'd been working overtime trying to get the Bronze moves passable.

Turkey - no skating for a week.

It's a double-edged sword! (or blade?....) :lol:

Skate@Delaware
11-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Debbie,
That had been mentioned, but her skates are almost 2 years old and they are the lower-end (plastic-soled) Riedells. Not really suited for someone doing single jumps but more for a snowplow sam level.... :cry: but they had been a gift from her sons (who didn't really know much about buying skates and didn't have much in the way of a Christmas budget).

If they were leather-soled, we would have epoxied and bolted everything together and that would have gotten her through the ice show....the prospect of skating in rentals for the show is not a good one.

Terri C
11-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Terrific - am taking a break from skating since Monday, until this coming Monday probably, unless I want to haul myself out of bed really early on Sunday morning. But it's nice to have a bit of a break, especially since I'd been working overtime trying to get the Bronze moves passable.
Turkey - no skating for a week.
It's a double-edged sword! (or blade?....) :lol:

Debbie,
I've checked Cabin John's schedule and they are supposed to have a freestyle session tomorrow afternoon. Maybe after we watch the Bronze moves tests. we can jump on one of them! :idea:

mikawendy
11-25-2005, 06:45 PM
NickiT, congrats on your camel!!! and congrats that it was in your lesson, so your coach got to see it!

Terrific--
I went to two freestyle sessions this morning, and for one, I was the only person on the ice! The other session had 2 other people!

I got a lot of work done on moves, some good and some not so good (see under Turkey!) :D

I was very sleepy and tired in the morning, but I pushed myself to skate the two sessions, and it turned out to be great! I also got some good work done on jumps--getting more height and speed from my toe loop, getting more consistent on the loop loop. I worked more on my flip with more speed into the entrance. Spins were on and off, but I had a few camel spins with the skating leg completely straight, as my coach has been asking for. Of course was anyone around to see them? Noooooo! :D

Turkey
Although some of my bronze moves are improving, the left side of the power threes is just AWFUL, and my 5 step has deteriorated a little. Also, on the LBO edge of the alt BXO to BO edge, I don't think I'm getting the proper extension. I'm trying to keep my free shoulder and hip elevated so my weight is in the right place, but the edge is smaller than the other side.

And with the ice empty, I could really hear my toepicks! Oy vey!!!! I'm actually making a scratching sound as I finish the FI-BI mohawk in the 5 step--that is, the foot that becomes the BI skating foot is scratching as I'm putting it down after the mohawk. I couldn't figure out how to fix that. The only move/side that I was able to be less noisy on was the R power 3s, which thankfully is the judges' side of the rink...

Skate@Delaware
11-25-2005, 07:28 PM
Terrific: Lessons went very well tonight (with some exceptions noted below). It was a bit warmer tonight, maybe all the people helped warm it up about 5 degrees :lol: We worked on Perimeter Crossovers, which are good (finally) and jumps. I did 3 very nicely centered scratch spins...and after lessons, one of the other coaches gave me a freebie piece of advice about lifting my free leg ;) honey, if I could lift that free leg, I'd do it! Actually, I've been working on it, really!! He did complement me on how far I've come on my spins since the season started (he is soooo sweet!)

Turkey: Hubby was having a hissy fit about "I'm skipping tonight's lesson because nothing is going well tonight" (this was said during pre-lesson warm-up....I told him such is the life of a skater-there are good and bad days and he should just stick with lessons tonight anyways. His turkey turned terrific, because he did manage to squeak out some very nice (for him) crossovers and edges!!! MEN! :twisted:

Super Turkey:Ok, we learned about the "new" way of doing the toe-loop... :evil: ...the jump I hate became the jump I hate even more.... So, we have to pick right behind and to the right (for me) of the 3???? instead of way back behind me???? That's stupid. So now the jump I can barely do is one I cannot do at all. :frus: :giveup: :frus: :giveup:

Debbie S
11-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Debbie,
I've checked Cabin John's schedule and they are supposed to have a freestyle session tomorrow afternoon. Maybe after we watch the Bronze moves tests. we can jump on one of them! :idea:
Great idea! I hadn't thought of that. I'll bring my skates!

Btw, I got my video from HC today (finally!). I talked to the video guy on Tuesday and he said they were all mailed out by last Thurs, so everyone should have theirs by this coming Monday (he said something about mailing them by "media mail", which is slower than regular mail).

N-square
11-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Terrific: Haven't been skating for a long time, I had a lesson today, and I could do better scratch spins than those days when I practised every week(Normally my spins are centred but I fall a lot when I start to slow down).

Turkey: My Inside edges are worse than before. My coach had me doing the new jumps that I've just learned not long ago, I fell on my knee when I did the flip, ouch!!I fell many times today.

NickiT
11-26-2005, 11:10 AM
NickiT, congrats on your camel!!! and congrats that it was in your lesson, so your coach got to see it!

Thanks Mikawendy. I've found my camels getting more consistent lately but that one was awesome. I just wish I could do them that well everytime!!

Nicki

slusher
11-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Terrific:

My sit spin sits. I can also stand up out of it and finish it off nicely, although I travel ferociously once I'm upright. Since all my upright spins travel badly, this is, in fact, good.

Turkey:

Loop jumps. I got the loop pretty quickly last year, doing it from a 3 turn but then changed entrances to be a swoop edge change. I did it today from a 3, just to show someone and I can still do it that way. I cannot do it from a swoop, it is completely gone. I've been faking it to get through it. Interestingly, the worse the loop gets, the better the flip gets. I struggled all summer with the flip and they're consistent now (consistently tiny and hoppy, but they're flips). It's like the flip is sucking the life out of the loop.

I'm going to test the Willow in a couple of weeks so had a dance lesson. Let's see, there's the mohawk and 3 turn of course, those danged forward steps and a new one, the step to forward after the chasee (one must lift knees on those too) along the side, I discovered that one must not LUNGE forward (since it makes it difficult for the man) but instead must have feet touch together gently and then push. Said I "since when do I worry about the Man?" Well if I want to get through the test I guess I should care about the dance coach
:)

Skate@Delaware
11-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Said I "since when do I worry about the Man?" Well if I want to get through the test I guess I should care about the dance coach
:)
Ah, echoes of synchro class, when we had one young man and all of us women.....he would bolt off, dragging the rest of us along....we would all scream at him and he would turn an look (innocently) at us and say "WHAT?"
Obviously, he wasn't worried (or concerned) about us!! :twisted:

Actually, when he started to slow down a bit (for us) we actually were better able to speed up (for him). It put us more into a mutual mode.

Yes, please take care of your dance coach!

mikawendy
11-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Loop jumps. I got the loop pretty quickly last year, doing it from a 3 turn but then changed entrances to be a swoop edge change. I did it today from a 3, just to show someone and I can still do it that way. I cannot do it from a swoop, it is completely gone. I've been faking it to get through it.

What is a swoop change edge? Do you mean you're doing a loop from a power pull? That sounds hard!

Debbie S
11-26-2005, 07:03 PM
Terrific: Well, I got to skate today after all. After journeying to a Wash FSC test session to watch some Bronze MIF tests, I was able to skate at an FS session the rink was having on the other (non-test) ice surface. It was great to see Terri C, who looks ready for her Bronze moves test. :) It was also great to see jenlyon60 and Ellyn, who looked very official in the trial judges' box - hope I didn't disturb you guys - I figured it was safe to wave hello during the warm-ups. And the rink was warm - a change from my club's rink - we must get heaters for the next test session! :idea:

Although the ice was kind of bumpy and scratchy, I was able to get some moves practice in and work on some jumps. Of course, there were some little kids working on Prelim MIF that could skate circles around me. :oops: But that's how it goes, I guess.

Watching the tests was very educational. I correctly picked which skaters would pass and I could see where I was lacking as far as getting to the passing level on my "problem" moves. Of course, actually fixing my problems will be a lot harder than identifying them - lol.

Turkey: Due to the aforementioned ice problems, it was definitely not a spin day. I tried the 8-step in both directions and it was very wonky, as were the forward and back cross rolls I was doing as part of my edge exercises.

Terri C
11-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Terrific:
I always cherish it when I get to skate at a different rink and meeting up with Debbie S today to watch the test session and skate a freestyle was a treat. :D It also helped me figure out what I need to do for my Bronze moves test, which is a little over a week from now.
It was warm in the rink, something I'm not used to.

Turkey:
The ice was a little bumpy and uneven. But the biggest turkey of all was the traffic! How do you folks in DC deal with that?
I did work on moves, but the larger size of the rink made it a little different.
Spins were also a little off for me as well.
While me and Debbie were the only adults on the session, it prevented the temptation from revealing the evil "project" that is being worked on for New Years Invitational! ;)

Casey
11-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Meh, it was a bad month. 2 weeks ago I had my worst fall ever, and today I topped it with an even worse one. Tried to do a jumpy thing in a spin, and missed the toepick somehow...

Hurt both knees, one is rather badly swollen, shifts between complete numbness and searing pain and I suspect I may have damaged the kneecap.

Hurt both elbows, but they're okay, the pain is minor in comparison and fading now.

Hit my nose on the ice, not enough to really hurt it, but enough to shock me for a minute.

Mashed something in my forefinger that is making one side of it all purply...thought maybe I fractured it at first, but it seems to be fully flexible and it types fine, just can't take any pressure on the side.

Hurt both wrists, the left one especially. That pain is dissipating though, think I got lucky there.

*whew*, I think I'll be cancelling my Tuesday lesson, to be sure. :frus: :?? :x :evil:

Mrs Redboots
11-27-2005, 05:07 AM
Terrific: Talk about a "Coach Moment" - we couldn't do our new combination couples' spin for love _nor_ money on Tuesday in our lesson - and this morning, practising it, it was easy again! Duh..... Still, at least we could do it. Had argument with Husband about whether it went with the music, though.

Mostly worked on solo things this morning, as Husband had a 30-minute lesson with his coach, beginning to work on his loop jump again for his free programme at the Mountain Cup.

Announcement is out for it, by the way. Becca, if I see any white hair spray I'm going to buy it, and not wait until the week before like last year, when I couldn't find any! If anybody hasn't received the announcement and wants it, I have it and can e-mail it to people. I'll also put it up on the MC Yahoo group, unless someone pre-empts me!

Terrible: My cross-cuts have disappeared again.... sob.... who's nicked them????

Tessie
11-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Terrific Hmmmm

Turkey - fell pretty hard doing a spiral, was leaning too far forward and went up on my toe pick then a!s over tea kettle. I bruised my left knee. Of course I felt foolish, but hey, didn't Sasha go splat on a spiral once?

Back this afternoon for edge work, hope to stay perpendicular.

TashaKat
11-27-2005, 02:53 PM
TERRIFIC

Back on the ice at last :D

Ok, it was only at Somerset House Ice Rink (http://www.somersethouseicerink.org.uk/) which is just a 'toy' rink erected for the winter and to bring in loads of dosh for the people running it. You're not allowed to go 'too fast' (which counts in most of us on here) or to do anything 'fancy' but it was still nice to get back on and actually SKATE.

I DIDN'T feel like Bambi which was a shock, I could still turn to backwards on a mohawk AND a 3-turn and I managed to do a few (illegal) spins when the stewards weren't looking :) I know that I was pretty crap in the general scheme of things and that my coach would have been tearing her hair out in despair but I really felt like I belonged :D

TURKEY

Nothing so far :)

Hannahclear
11-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Terrific:

~Well maybe not terrific, but I did the program today in my session. I'm now ascribing to the SUADI (Shut Up and Do It) plan of developing consistency and comfort with the program. It certainly went better than last time. I landed the first lutz, though no combo. The footwork was a bit smoother. I missed a couple of jumps and had to convert my last spin because of time issue, but it was not that bad really, so I was pleased. Competition is still two calendar months away, so at least I'm getting there and have plenty of time. I'm also pleased with my cardio fitness. No longer do I feel as if I will die with my lungs on fire if I don't stop moving. :P

~Got lots of good tight, fast revolutions on backspins today. Exit still messy, but spin is good.

~Did a decent forward camel and a couple of back camels. Back camel is still really slow, but am getting about three revs consistently.

Turkey:

~Power threes (why oh why can't I transfer my weight properly?)

~Kept two footing my loop jump and got fixated. The loop is like Ol' Realible for me, so it ticks me off when it doesn't feel right. :??

Skate@Delaware
11-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Terrific: THANK GOODNESS TODAY IS FINALLY OVER!!! Although I did manage some very nice spins, and a run-through of my program during the COMPLETELY empty adult session (can't count my daughter-she was with me)...one rink, two people, what could be better!!! She even fixed her flip! Although she laughed at my mohawk and my hand gestures.... :oops:

Turkey: We went shopping during the break and made it back 20 minutes late-I thought we might be in trouble, but we didn't miss anything!!! We didn't get a chance to run through our icy delite routine more than one time (we need scads more practice) but the party scene is run into the ground!

I messed up on my competition routine, and that "new" toe-loop is stupid :frus: but I will get it! AND I get to be in the Christmas float!!! Of course it will be 20 below that day (my luck!) but I get to ride, not walk!!!

I'm still not getting the loop, although daughter helped me with it and it's a bit better; but it's got a looooong way to go. Maybe some off-ice will help.

jazzpants
11-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Turkey:

You know... this is one of those days I wished I stayed home! My lower back was under a heating wrap (which didn't work well anyway b/c it was extremely COLD!!!) And there was a HUGE crowd of rugrats running around the rink too. GRRRRR!!! :X :frus:

I also lost my LFI mohawk again! Okay, it was there in the middle of the session but was gone again when the ice was cruddy... :cry: (Okay, Skate@Delaware... did you borrow it again??? ;) )

Didn't try a loop this afternoon. Actually, didn't try to jump or do my spiral homework assignment b/c my lower back and butt was just not happy!!! :cry:

Terrific:

Did redeem myself with a couple of good sit spins and a couple of scratch spins. Had one almost decent camel too!!! :D

blue111moon
11-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Terrific: Because we missed ice on Thursday for Thanksgiving, my coach agreed to come in Sunday morning for me for an hour. Which meant no Moves (Yay!) and a full hour of Freestyle (double Yay!).

Sundays seem to be good spin days for me and this one was no exception - I was able to show my coach that I really CAN center a camel. I did wipe out on a jump-camel but other than that everything went well. Jumps were solid. I'm still two-footing the flip but they're back to being up and fully rotated at least. Change edge spiral worked again; if I can get up enough speed going in, I don't have to swing the free leg through the change, which is a nice feeling.

Turkey: Footwork - Coach keeps adding stuff and expecting me to remember it and do it the same way every time! :giveup: If I could do that, I'd take up dance.

And because I only skate the second hour on Sundays, the ice was too chewed up to do figures on.

Skate@Delaware
11-28-2005, 08:06 AM
I also lost my LFI mohawk again! Okay, it was there in the middle of the session but was gone again when the ice was cruddy... :cry: (Okay, Skate@Delaware... did you borrow it again??? ;) )
No way! All you'd have to do is ask my darling daughter-she says right now I don't have anything remotely resembling a mohawk!!! :oops:

She said, "What is this (and she imitated me by squatting over with her behind sticking out while doing a switch-foot thing) with the feet?"

I said, "my mohawk"

"HA HA HA!!!!!!" she screams, "you'd better work on that just a bit more!"

I stood there, dumbfounded. And she wonders why I don't take her places or ask her opinion (often?)????? 8O

e-skater
11-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Terrific: I began getting a real "push" into my sit spin attempts. :) And, I pushed through my new program last Friday and today. All the way through. I had to force myself and was I happy I did it, even though neither was a great rendition.

Turkey: No waltz/loop combo in either program run through. Yet, right after the program work I rip them off three times in a row. :frus: :) And, then there were the arm movements coach added to this little three hoppy jump sequence.....EEEK! Definitely not the pat the stomach and rub the head whilst chewing gum type...at all! ;)

Terri C
11-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Terrific nor Turkey:
Coach had me do a "practice test" for my Bronze moves test that was supposed to have been next week. According to her on the standard end of things, it would not pass, but since I'm the first Adult moves test that she will put out, she really isn't sure what the Adult standard is.

Turkey,
Ice was awful!

Looks like our test session for next week will have to be cancelled. One of the judges (those of you in the MD/DC/VA areas have already heard) that we had for our test session was killed in a car accident last week and the other judge that was going to travel with her is not up to judging, which under the cirucumstances is very understandable. :cry:
That would only leave us with only two judges. Oh well, such is life.

slusher
11-28-2005, 07:39 PM
What is a swoop change edge? Do you mean you're doing a loop from a power pull? That sounds hard!

I couldn't do a powerpull to save my life. I'm just bad at them so don't practice.

The swoop entry (my friend calls it skiing) is like a two footed powerpull. Glide backwards one way and have the feet go one in front of each other, then "swoop" the other way, the tracing looks like a big "S" and as you go the other way you're on your outside edge ready for take off. The free foot just slides along in front. This link http://www.sk8stuffmore.com/recog/loop_sarah.mpg
illustrates the foot in front part of it. I can do it this way, but apparently doing the "S" generates a bigger pull.