View Full Version : So much to practice, not enough time...

jazzpants
11-21-2005, 06:51 PM
I was curious to know how you guys divide up your practice time...

Currently I'm spending a lot more time back on Bronze Moves again (about 80% actually) than on jumps and spins (20%) b/c I've been concentrating on taking the test again. (Also, I don't want to overdo the jumps b/c of my lower back again.) But I was curious to know how much of a percentage of time do you spend on moves vs. jumps and spins vs. dance (if you do ice dance.) Also, how many hours do you skate per week?

I was faced this afternoon with my primary coach picking on me about my BO3's and his asking how come I don't spend my time working on BO3's. I said "I have so much to practice with Bronze Moves AS IS!!! How am I going to do that AND Bronze FS AND "other fun stuff" too???"

TIA.

Terri C
11-21-2005, 07:02 PM
For me, it depends on what's going on with me skating wise.
The last week or so was working on Bronze MIF and resurrecting a program for the rink's holiday show. Now that I'm two weeks away from my adventure with the Bronze MIF test, it looks as if Bronze MIF will be the mainstay of practices. Then after that holiday show and getting ready for the next competition.
Oh and I skate 1 1/2 hours a day three days a week.

sk8pics
11-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Boy, can I empathize with you! I feel like I can't possibly ever practice everything I need to, and on some things I'm in maintenance mode rather than improvement mode. I know you will laugh, but I actually keep an excel spreadsheet and I check off what I practice each session as well as what each lesson covers. That way, too, it keeps me from neglecting stuff I really should practice, but maybe don't love to do! Lately, my lesson time has been almost exclusively spent on my new interpretive program, but usually it's maybe about 60% freestyle stuff (like jumps, or program work), and then 10% on spins, and then maybe 20% on moves and move-related stuff that may apply to one program or the other. Of course, that means that I am light-years away from that bronze moves test, but what the heck. If I concentrated too much on moves, I would lose my jumps (such as they are!). I usually skate 5-6 hours a week or so.

Good luck!

flo
11-21-2005, 07:12 PM
When I was starting I spent lots of time on edges. We didn't have moves, but edge class. I can definitely say that none of that time was wasted. When I started I wanted to jump and go fast! At my first lesson my coach told me that the edges are what seperates the real skaters, no matter what the age, from the "Sunday" skaters. The first artistic program he choreographed for me was all edges. No jumps.

And the higher you get, the less time you seem to have. It took lots of time to get to my level, and now to stay at it. Some of the folks that I started skating with, and who stuck to it have found that it takes an amazing amount of time to stay competitive. While earlier in our "career" we competed in pairs and interp and free and some did dance, the higher we got in one area, the less time we had for the other. I also find that I spend as much time teaching as skating, another drain on the practice time.

Now that the adult program has been around for 10+ years, it would be interesting to look at the "career" phases of the adult skater, and how this is changing with the evolution of the program.

jazzpants
11-21-2005, 07:20 PM
I should add how many hours I put into skating...

I'm skating 1.5 hrs 3 days a week to practice and then another 40-45 minutes of warmup and my lessons.

e-skater
11-21-2005, 08:31 PM
You skate very close to the amount of time I skate. I have one 1/2 hour lesson each week.

I divide my time depending on what I am working on. I do a fairly standard warm-up, which is changed out every few weeks or so. Then I work on my priority thing first, like moves or dance. With the exception of program work (whether that be freeskate test or show program), as must warm up spins and jumps first then.....

When I was working on Bronze MITF, that was my priority at every skate day. Plus, are you finding it hard to work on moves at some sessions?! Sometimes it was just awful, yet I tried my best to eke them out, even if not down the axis.......

Right now I'm working on two ice dances for testing, Bronze Freeskate test, and a dramatic "show" program. I tend to do the ice dances right after quick warm-up, then I do spins, then jumps --- then work through each program if there's time.

If there's anything left, it's other stuff, like Silver moves (yeah, right.....), next level up dances, back to any jumps and spins I want, and maybe a wish list item.

Today most of my plan didn't work. Public was godawfully crowded, and during adult session there was a 1/2 hour lesson given by my coach, so I missed 1/2 hour of practice I was going to do programs in.......

jazzpants
11-21-2005, 08:42 PM
You skate very close to the amount of time I skate. I have one 1/2 hour lesson each week.I take two 1/2 hour lessons each week actually... (1/2 hour with primary, 1/2 hour with secondary coach.)

As my primary coach says after today's lesson when he asked if I was coming back Monday night and I said yes: "You're NUTS!!!" (Geez, so what's new???) :roll: :P :lol:

Skate@Delaware
11-21-2005, 09:02 PM
I've been skating about 8-10 hours per week since September (I need all that I can get!) I had been working on whatever needed it at the time, usually my "homework" was what we had done in lessons that week. I take one 30-min private lesson and one 30-min group lesson per week.

Now, I'm practicing for the ice show and I've got to get some footwork up to speed (power-3's), so I will be working on that. I try to devote about 15 minutes per session on an item, so maybe spins, jumps (yeah, the 3 I can do!), stroking, edges, etc (you get the picture). I don't spend more than that because of boredom and I start to lose attention to it. I try to hit what really needs the most work. (now that I don't have to worry about testing yet, no sitspins or backspins for me :D !!!)

And, lately, I've tried to run through my program once or twice.....depending on how crowded it is.

The hard part is when other skaters want to chat....and you're busy....and they keep talking..... :roll: ...and you tell them you've got stuff to work on and they keep talking.......AAARRRGGHH!! :frus:

jazzpants
11-21-2005, 09:08 PM
The hard part is when other skaters want to chat....and you're busy....and they keep talking..... :roll: ...and you tell them you've got stuff to work on and they keep talking.......AAARRRGGHH!! :frus:Skate away from them and say "I'll talk to you after I come off the ice..." and gesture towards your coach...

Or you could sic your coach on them and having him come between you and other person and say something like "Less talking!!! More skating!!!" :lol: :twisted: (You of course, say "Yes, sir!!!" like an obedient student and skate away... and secretly think "Oh, GOD!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I owe you one!" to your coach!) :lol: :twisted:

phoenix
11-21-2005, 09:11 PM
I only skate about 6 hours a week, spread out over 5 different days. I agree with what's been said about the higher you get, the more time it takes to work on one thing. I work only on dance/moves (no freestyle), and only use the moves for a warmup (though if I decide to test them I'd focus mainly on them for about a month before). And usually I only work on one dance at a time (I'm on my pre-golds). I have 2, 1/2 hour lessons a week, one alone & one with my partner.

sexyskates
11-21-2005, 09:21 PM
I usually practice mornings M-F for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours per day. On T,W and R I can get on early and sometimes have private ice (ah, I feel like a princess). If I have competitions coming, I start with program run throughs on the empty ice. By beginning with the programs, it's more like competition - just 5 minutes of on ice warm up and then start the freestyle. Then I do jumps for about 1/2 hour and pieces of the program - especially the straight line foot work sequence. Then I work on those darn Gold Moves (1/2 hour sometimes more if I jump less), then a little new stuff, and finish up with spins - and I'm running out of time! I always feel that I have more to practice, but if I get a long session of over 2 hours, I'm exhausted! I always stretch when I get up in the morning and do an off ice warm up, and always stretch when I end my practice. If I stretch BEFORE I leave the rink to go home or to work, I don't get sore! I have been working on my Gold Moves more this season. I only work on the axel for about 5 minutes (about 10 attempts), because too much makes me sore. I am just plugging away at it every day and letting it SLOWLY improve.
I take a half hour lesson once a week with my main coach, and 1/2 to one hour lesson sporatically with my choreography and spin (and grace) coach - depending on schedules and whether or not I have a new program.

Debbie S
11-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Generally, I skate about 3 times a week, sometimes 4, generally for 1 or 2 (50 min) sessions at a time. So I think that comes to 5-6 hours a week - sometimes more if I have a test or comp coming up. This week, though, it'll probably be much less due to the Thanksgiving holiday - shhhh, don't tell my coach - lol! Right now, I have a 20 min lesson per week. Eventually, I'd like to add another lesson, but for now, I'm just doing the once a week thing.

I usually start off running through the Bronze moves. When I was getting ready to test, I spent at least 3/4 of each session on moves. Now, I've cooled off a bit b/c my coach wants me to work on exercises (outside of the moves) she gave me to improve edges and knee bend. Actually, here's a good question (trying not to go OT): how do you keep your motivation and momentum when preparing for a moves test for the second time? I feel so mentally worn out from working on these moves - like I should have passed them by now - and it feels sometimes like I'm just going through the motions when I run through them, and then I know they look crappy. I find this is particularly true with the moves that I passed the first time.

After moves, I warm up jumps and spins. At this point, I'm sort of in maintenance mode and only focusing on keeping and improving the jumps that I can already do - mostly b/c these jumps are on the Bronze FS test. I've put the flip aside until I can work on it with a coach watching, b/c I think I developed some bad habits with it. Same philosophy with the spins: right now, I just want to improve the spins I can do (scratch, sit, attitude) and get my backspin consistent. Looking ahead, I think I have a better chance of getting a back sit (given my practice of the sit and the backspin) than I do a camel, so the camel's been put aside for the time being.

Generally, I try to end each session with another moves run-through, although it depends if I get wrapped up practicing something else. At this point, I would say that I'm spending about 60-70% on freestyle and 30-40% on moves, since I'm not going to be testing for a few months. When I finally do pass these blasted moves, I'll probably devote most of my practice time to freestyle with a small amount of time spent on the Silver moves.

I don't have a program now, but when I do, and am preparing for a comp, I try to do at least 2 run-throughs of the program each session (usually w/o music if I don't have a lesson that day, unless I can get one of the skating moms to put the music on for me).

jenlyon60
11-22-2005, 06:51 AM
I can't tell you about motivation for redoing a MIF test, but I can tell you all about staying motivated to re-test dance tests (it took 3 tries to pass European Waltz, and Tango will be going for it's 4th outing... the last one having been a total unmitigated disaster).

Usually right after the failed test, I am totally unmotivated to work on the failed dance (in my case), so coach and I work on something totally different that might still help. For example, after the Tango disaster, we went back to me doing drills similar to those that Phoenix does. We did do a Tango run-through a couple lessons after the bombed test, but that was to get the willies out of my brain about the dance.

We've done Tango occasionally since the test last month, but it's been mostly drills and a bit of American Waltz.

The plan right now is to re-test Tango in late January so we'll probably start really working on it again in a couple weeks or even beginning of January (since ice-time over the Christmas/New Years holiday will be non-existent at my rink).

Mrs Redboots
11-22-2005, 08:05 AM
The hard part is when other skaters want to chat....and you're busy....and they keep talking..... :roll: ...and you tell them you've got stuff to work on and they keep talking.......AAARRRGGHH!! :frus:You could always say something like, "I usually ask people not to talk to me while I'm actually on the ice, as it destroys my concentration - could we chat later?" and make time to chat to the person afterwards.

As for us, this turns out to be a vexed question - we decided this morning that we simply have to sit down together (when are we going to have time to do that?) and work out a list of things we want to practice, and see that they all get practiced over the course of a week!

The Husband is fussing because he now wants to give more solo time to free skating, as he has been challenged to do a programme at the Mountain Cup! I haven't decided yet whether I'll do an Interp or not for 2006, so the only thing I'm working on solo, apart from the usual exercises to strengthen edges and posture and so on, is my level 3 Dance Moves. But even still, there's plenty to do with the edges & posture exercises....

NickiT
11-22-2005, 08:44 AM
I start off with edge work and field moves though I'm not attempting my difficult NISA bronze ones yet, before moving onto single jumps. I run through all of those a few times then move onto combinations. Then I work on spins before doing some programme work. I find it easier having some sort of training plan.

Nicki

phoenix
11-22-2005, 10:01 AM
re. keeping motivation....... I've been in that same situation, working on something you're just sick to death of, or have failed several times & still have to try to get ramped up to test it yet again.

Sometimes I take a break from it & work on other things. I've also found that listening to really great music helps the time go a lot faster & keeps me focused & moving. I have an ipod shuffle that I clip to my waistband, & which doesn't die whenever I drop it on the ice! It's been a HUGE help when I'm working on endless drills. Another benefit, you can run through your program or dance over & over without annoying people w/ your music over & over. (Like yesterday the little girl, on a 45 minute session, who did her program at least 10 times... :frus: ) If you're on a freestyle session first make sure they allow it & also keep the volume fairly low so you can still hear what's going on around you.

And sometimes I have to remind myself over & over that this is what it takes to keep improving in skating, that I just have to dig deep & be disciplined to continue on & stay the course until I get through it. It most definitely isn't all fun & games!

Skate@Delaware
11-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions on dealing with chatty skaters. I skate on daytime public sessions (they are much cheaper and not too crowded) and we have our group of "usuals." I usually help them with stuff like spins and things, but I guess I'll just have to let them know I'm prepping for a show and competition and can't really spend time talking until I'm done with my stuff. I know they will understand. (I'd love to sic my coach on them but I'm a lone ranger at these times!)

flying~camel
11-22-2005, 10:20 AM
I skate 1, sometimes 2, 40 minute sessions per week and I get 1 10-15 minute lesson per week.

I usually spend the 1st 10-15 mins of the session on spins, the next 10-15 mins on jumps and the last 10-15 mins doing a combination of both.

Debbie S
11-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for suggestions on motivation. I think my coach is thinking the same thing about giving me something different to work on, b/c for the past 2 lessons, we've worked on exercises to improve edges and knee bend and such. She explained to me yesterday that she wants to give me things to work on outside of the moves to help me get over some bad habits that I have with them - like not hitting the edges in the F and B perimeter stroking.

We did work on the 8-step though, since I want to do the Bronze MIF event at New Year's. And it works out well that a couple of the exercises she wants me to practice involve forward and backward cross rolls - I'll need those if I decide to do Bronze CM there.

doubletoe
11-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Most of us adults don't have time to skate for more than about 5 hours a week, but I think a lot of coaches are used to teaching kids, who skate 10-15 hours per week. They forget that there just isn't a lot you can practice in 5 hours without spreading yourself too thin.

When I was working on my Gold MIF for 6-1/2 months, I started at 2 hours per week of only MIF, then in the final 6 weeks before the test, I bumped it up to 3 hours per week. That left just 2-3 hours per week for freestyle, so it's no wonder I barely passed the Gold Freestyle test. 3 weeks later, I'm still trying to catch up on my program (the original one, not the test version) and the elements in it, not to mention all the new elements I was working on and had to back-burner for awhile. But I am still having to devote at least one hour a week to MIF, since I want to take the Intermediate MIF and 5 out of 6 of them are the same as the Gold MIF.

Of the 5-6 hours a week I skate, I take 40 minutes of freestyle lessons and 20 minutes of MIF lessons (actually just every other week on the MIF now).

doubletoe
11-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Actually, here's a good question (trying not to go OT): how do you keep your motivation and momentum when preparing for a moves test for the second time? I feel so mentally worn out from working on these moves - like I should have passed them by now - and it feels sometimes like I'm just going through the motions when I run through them, and then I know they look crappy. I find this is particularly true with the moves that I passed the first time.

I forgot to answer that part. Even though I DID manage to pass that despised Gold MIF test, I knew I would be wasting a lot of time and money if I let those moves get cold and then had to re-learn 5 of the 6 when I was ready to start working on the Intermediat MIF. The last thing I ever wanted to do after that test was to come to the rink the next week and practice them again. My coach actually went bug-eyed when he saw me there doing moves, since the last thing he'd heard me say was, "If I ever see another bracket, I'm going to shoot it!" But for me, the thought of wasting more time and more money on these despicable moves--which would happen if I let them get out of practice--was so distasteful that I just wanted to push push push and get it all over with! So I guess that's my answer, knowing that if you don't keep the momentum up on your MIF practice, you end up just sacrificing MORE of your precious time and money on them, LOL! Hang in there!! :)

jazzpants
11-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Actually, here's a good question (trying not to go OT): how do you keep your motivation and momentum when preparing for a moves test for the second time?Here's a couple I could think of...
1. Those moves are still gonna be there, so you better get working on those so you can get them out of the way ASAP.
2. For motivation on the perimeter back crossovers... they will be on the Int. moves test too! Better get them done right now! :twisted:
3. On session where it's too crowded to do anything, practice short snippets of stuff...

...and if nothing else works...

4. Do practice SOMETHING ELSE!!! (I'm preparing for the prelim moves next...trying to learn alt. 3's on the line and practicing alt. spirals (not on the pattern though. I have to *get* them first!!! :evil: )

e-skater
11-22-2005, 04:54 PM
I take two 1/2 hour lessons each week actually... (1/2 hour with primary, 1/2 hour with secondary coach.)

As my primary coach says after today's lesson when he asked if I was coming back Monday night and I said yes: "You're NUTS!!!" (Geez, so what's new???) :roll: :P :lol:
Oh you lucky people who get more than one "real" lesson each week. Real lessons being those with your coach, or secondary coach.......( :P ). I don't count the group lessons, though I hit every one I can, figuring almost any instruction extra is better than none..........

doubletoe
11-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Oh you lucky people who get more than one "real" lesson each week. Real lessons being those with your coach, or secondary coach.......( :P ). I don't count the group lessons, though I hit every one I can, figuring almost any instruction extra is better than none..........

Actually, group lessons were the only instruction I had for the first 5 years and that's where I learned most of what I know! Group lessons took me all the way up through my lutz, as well as the basic spins, some challenging footwork, jump sequences and combinations, etc. There was a lot more variety than I get in my private lessons, where we mostly just work on whatever I have in my program or on the test I'm getting ready to take. They are a good value for the money, and if my schedule allowed, I would go back to my old class and join up again!

Mrs Redboots
11-23-2005, 08:51 AM
So I guess that's my answer, knowing that if you don't keep the momentum up on your MIF practice, you end up just sacrificing MORE of your precious time and money on them, LOL! Hang in there!! :)Also, of course, even if you do pass the test, the moves can always be improved! I was working on Level 1 Dance Moves this morning, even though I never had to take that test. I took Novice Dance Moves before the system changed, and was then credited with Level 2 Dance moves, which I still worked on forever before they were what my coach thought were passable - and now I'm working on them again, to improve my speed, flow and edge quality!

aussieskater
11-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Jazzpants, I'm with you - there is not enough time to practise all that needs help!

On a really good week, my ideal practice schedule looks something like this:

* Monday - 60-90 minute session, during which DH and I share a 30-min dance lesson and spend the rest of the session doing our joint exercises.

* Tuesday night is adult synchro practice.

* Wednesday is 45-min group class, then DH uses his lunch hour to come in for an hour's dance practice with me.

* Thursday is a 2-hour session, when I try to practise all the other bits I haven't covered earlier in the week, and I often don't manage to get this session (real life has a habit of getting in the way...). When I get it, it's my last session for the week. Either on Wednessday or Thursday, I try for a 30-min lesson by myself.

* Then on Friday, DH has a 30-min lesson by himself. He also practises at lunchtime on Thursday.

So DH and I get 2 sessions together, including one lesson, and I get 1-2 sessions by myself, including one lesson if I'm lucky.

e-skater
11-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Actually, group lessons were the only instruction I had for the first 5 years and that's where I learned most of what I know! Group lessons took me all the way up through my lutz, as well as the basic spins, some challenging footwork, jump sequences and combinations, etc. There was a lot more variety than I get in my private lessons, where we mostly just work on whatever I have in my program or on the test I'm getting ready to take. They are a good value for the money, and if my schedule allowed, I would go back to my old class and join up again!
Well, I'm grateful for every free moment of instruction I can get. We have a 1/2 free lesson two days a week at our adult session. I've learned a lot there, and need all the help in the world! I agree that the variety, along with a different coach's take on things, is fun.

TimDavidSkate
11-23-2005, 07:03 PM
You will learn in the future on how to pace yourself on practice sessions.
If I have a MIF test coming up, I will practice them for 20 minutes, then 15 - 20 minutes on freestyle.
Be careful not to overanalyze and drive yourself crazy with these patterns.

For Freestyle, set a number of times you repeat your jumps and spins.
I have seen adult skaters and even some elite skaters tire themselves out before competition. They would do at least 6 to 8 attempts on the same jump. Then they wonder why do they get too tired and avoid/pop/fall on elements during their program.

I usually set myself a number on normal practices. 3
First attempt- a slow one, second - with speed, third with a combination.
And spins at least 2 times each, one flying spin, then one combination spin, then a solo one.

Good Luck, let us know how things work out :)

emma
11-25-2005, 01:31 PM
I am coming back to skating after 30 years off the ice! I skate about ten hours a week. MIF are new to me so i spend half of my time on the ice working on them. My goal is to get through all my adult moves and freestyle tests in under a year. So far in the last 5 months i have tested and passed adult pre bronze, bronze and silver moves. Adult pre bronze, bronze and silver free style. So i guess the 50-50 split moves and free style has worked for me. I also take one 30 minute private lesson and one 30 minute figure lesson a week. The figure lesson has been a great help for the brackets and double threes which i did do as a kid but it was very long ago. Good luck!

doubletoe
11-25-2005, 09:29 PM
I am coming back to skating after 30 years off the ice! I skate about ten hours a week. MIF are new to me so i spend half of my time on the ice working on them. My goal is to get through all my adult moves and freestyle tests in under a year. So far in the last 5 months i have tested and passed adult pre bronze, bronze and silver moves. Adult pre bronze, bronze and silver free style. So i guess the 50-50 split moves and free style has worked for me. I also take one 30 minute private lesson and one 30 minute figure lesson a week. The figure lesson has been a great help for the brackets and double threes which i did do as a kid but it was very long ago. Good luck!

Wow, way to go! That's a lot to accomplish in 5 months!

kayskate
11-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Since I am b/w rinks at the moment and have had little time to skate over the last few months, when I do skate, I focus on basics. This includes edges, MITF, dance, stroking, xovers. I probably spend at least 1/2 of my time on these skills. When I get on the ice more regularly, I will still have a solid foundation. For the rest of the time, I work basic single jumps and standard spins and spin combos. I will throw in a few minutes of something that I am comsciously "working on" like an inside edge back camel just for fun and variety.

Kay

emma
11-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Wow, way to go! That's a lot to accomplish in 5 months!
I have to say now that i am working on gold moves it will be awhile until i test. I have fallen more in practice with these moves than i have with all the other moves and freestyle put together !!!!!!!!! It also hurts a lot more falling on brackets then falling in a jump must have something to do with less speed and slide. Oh i will be so glad to not have to practice these again.

techskater
11-28-2005, 07:04 PM
But you will have to practice them again when you work on your Intermediates

pennybeagle
11-28-2005, 11:35 PM
It's a total juggling act. As of now, I'm skating 3-4 times a week for about 1.5 hours a session, and I'm trying to fit in:
* Freestyle program
* Freestyle elements not in program (flying sit, doubles, more difficult footwork, spin variations, etc)
* MIF (maintaining Gold moves to pass Intermediate, learning Novice set)
* Dance (Ten Fox, Fourteenstep, European drills)

I'm pretty predictable. I start with stroking, and then I spin for 15 minutes, and then I work on my program, culminating in a run-through. That takes care of about 45 minutes. Then, I pick ONE thing to work on: more freestyle, moves, or dance. I give at least 30 minutes to that one thing. If I have time to work on something else after that for the last 15-30 minutes (depending on the session I'm on), then I pick one other thing to work on. I don't have it set in stone how many hours I'm going to devote to any one thing per week. Some weeks, I only put 30 minutes of work into dance. Other weeks, I put hours into it, and don't work on any new freestyle elements. The only consistent thing I always do is work on my program.

You'd think I could do it by now, but I still can't get a clean run-through. Amazing. :roll:

emma
12-02-2005, 03:49 PM
But you will have to practice them again when you work on your Intermediates
The thought pains me. That is why i will test both levels in one test session and hopefully pass both so i never have to do them again. They are identical except for power perimeter threes in intermediates instead of double threes. I do have to say that power perimeter threes scare me to death i cant tell you how many times i have almost slamed into the boards!!!!!!!! emma