View Full Version : I have a question!

N-square
11-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Where do you normally get your music from for your program?
I never take part in any competition and never had any test before.
So I don't know where people get their music from for their tests. :roll:

Isk8NYC
11-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Adults either "cut" their program music themselves, or have a Pro/Coach/Friend do it for them.

Other options (anybody do these?) are to borrow someone else's tape/CD that's already cut or buy music from a website or mail order.

Don't take anyone's word that the time is "perfect." Always use a stopwatch to check the length yourself. Sometimes people make mistakes, so you have to be responsible enough to verify the length. No sense having deductions taken because you didn't spend 10 minutes to check first.

Now, I'm not sure about the music for dance tests -- my Club always provided the music. Is that true everywhere?

mikawendy
11-20-2005, 05:49 PM
And even if you're looking at music on a CD in a CD player or on a computer, check the length. On most CD players, my program music shows up as being the exact maximum length specified for my freestyle level, but on my computer at home, it shows up as being 1 second longer!

Debbie S
11-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Now, I'm not sure about the music for dance tests -- my Club always provided the music. Is that true everywhere?
Yes, it is the club's responsibility to purchase the dance test music. For freestyle or free dance tests, of course, it is the skater's responsibility to bring their music.

I would recommend that you have someone other than your coach do the actual music cut. That way, if there's something wrong with it, you and your coach won't be getting into a debate or disagreement that could potentially harm your working relationship. It's a good idea to share your music choice with your coach before you get a program cut, though, because your coach will certainly want to give feedback as to whether it would be good music for you to use (too fast or too slow, too overused, etc.).

And for heaven's sake, when you go to comps, don't forget to bring a backup copy of your music AND give it to your coach (or whoever's putting you on the ice) to hold at the boards. If there's any sort of problem with your music, you certainly don't want to miss time from your warm-up while you run to the locker room (or wherever your backup copy is) or cause a delay in the comp (not to mention standing around on the ice getting cold) while your coach runs off trying to locate it.

Skate@Delaware
11-20-2005, 07:26 PM
And for heaven's sake, when you go to comps, don't forget to bring a backup copy of your music AND give it to your coach (or whoever's putting you on the ice) to hold at the boards. If there's any sort of problem with your music, you certainly don't want to miss time from your warm-up while you run to the locker room (or wherever your backup copy is) or cause a delay in the comp (not to mention standing around on the ice getting cold) while your coach runs off trying to locate it.
Yes, and sometimes there is a compatibility issue between CD-R's and CD-RW's playing on the rink's sound system; sometimes it's better to either read the announcement thoroughly (sometimes it is stated) or call and ask them.

I know for a fact that my rink cannot play CD-RW's but has no problem with CD-R's.....

and of course, there are still a few rinks that still ask for cassettes 8O

skaternum
11-21-2005, 09:15 AM
I would recommend that you have someone other than your coach do the actual music cut.I agree with this. I've seen many situations where skaters wind up skating to a cut of music they don't really like, just to keep the peace with the coach. I give my coach input into what music I select for a program, but I cut it (or have it cut by a professional editor) and present it as a pretty much finished product.

And for heaven's sake, when you go to comps, don't forget to bring a backup copy of your music AND give it to your coach (or whoever's putting you on the ice) to hold at the boards.Yes, indeed. In fact, since most rinks still have the ability to play cassettes, I use a cassette as my backup copy. That way, just in case there are compatability issues between my CD and the player at the rink, I can just pull out the cassette. A second copy of an incompatible CD won't really help me much!

singerskates
11-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I edit my music and other skaters music. A matter a fact I just did nine programs for my club skaters just this past week. I have several pieces already cut either still on my computer or burned onto CD. I have pieces from 1:00 to 3:30. I can also do Junior and Senior Competitive Freeskate/Dance programs as well.

Email me at singerskates@yahoo.com if you are interested in having some music done for you.

Everything I do is done on regular CD's and finalized to become regular CDR's just like the ones you purchace at the music store.

Brigitte Laskowski
Figure Skating Music Editor
Singer Songwriter
Canadian Adult Ladies FS and Interpretive Skater
singerskates@yahoo.com

mikawendy
11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Yes, and sometimes there is a compatibility issue between CD-R's and CD-RW's playing on the rink's sound system; sometimes it's better to either read the announcement thoroughly (sometimes it is stated) or call and ask them.

I know for a fact that my rink cannot play CD-RW's but has no problem with CD-R's.....

and of course, there are still a few rinks that still ask for cassettes 8O

Actually, having a spare CD AND a spare cassette is a great idea. One of my friends had a problem at Halloween Classic--the CD player wasn't reading her CD. She luckily had a spare CD (also not readable) and a cassette copy she had made on a whim the night before a different competition. She was able to skate to the cassette. I also carry a cassette of my program music (albeit a rough cut) with me in case the same problem ever happens to me.

stardust skies
11-21-2005, 08:01 PM
And even if you're looking at music on a CD in a CD player or on a computer, check the length. On most CD players, my program music shows up as being the exact maximum length specified for my freestyle level, but on my computer at home, it shows up as being 1 second longer!

Well, it's really dangerous to have your music be that close. As a rule of thumb your music should be at least 3 seconds (although I always do 5) less than the maximum, which gives you the room to end after your music if you happen to fall behind at any point, while still not getting a time deduction. Anything closer is really asking for trouble, imo.