View Full Version : Just saw Harry Potter....

sue123
11-19-2005, 11:36 PM
.... and spent the entire time thinking about what a lovely program can be done to the soundtrack. When I was hiding from the movie, I was imagining some very nice programs to go along with the music. They have a very skateable soundtrack. Props to them for that.

pinkdblonde
11-20-2005, 12:17 AM
A lot of people will probably skate to it. Just like the earlier HP soundtracks A TON of people skated to those. Anytime a major movie comes out (ex. Harry Potter, Pirates of the Carribbean, Peter Pan etc) it seems as though everyone and their brother skate to it. But there is a reason for that, it is VERY good music to skate to.

pinkdblonde
11-20-2005, 12:18 AM
PS. the most used ever (at least in my region) was Pirates of the Carribbean, 2 seasons ago. At regionals I heard it about 10 times in one day. (possibly more and not an exaggeration)

Mrs Redboots
11-20-2005, 04:57 AM
There are still 2 people at our rink who are skating to it this year!

iskatealot
11-22-2005, 07:08 AM
The most used music in my area was The Lord Of The Rings Music. Closely followed by Harry Potter and then Pirates of the Carribean. It really did get annoying after a while. Almost as bad as when you are at a competition and the play the Dutch Waltz over and over for 2 or 3 hours...

jazzpants
11-22-2005, 10:55 AM
You know... I can't help but think whether there's a lot of kids out there that wanted to skate to LOTR, or just the coaches all chipped in for a LOTR soundtrack and are recycling their CD collection amongst all their students. (Wouldn't surprise me if they're also recycling their music cut tape too!) :twisted: :P

"Okay, here's track 1's cut. Suzy gets it this year. Mary gets track 2. Next year, you two switch..." :twisted: :P

Casey
11-23-2005, 04:15 AM
I am personally offended by anybody who listens to hears any music, in film or otherwise, who does not instinctively imagine skating a wonderful program well beyond your ability to.

Those other people, the "normals", are the weird ones.

Skate@Delaware
11-23-2005, 07:39 AM
My coach says she can't listen to any music without thinking if it would be good for skating either as program music or show music! It's automatic for her! I do it to! So does my daughter! We own tons of soundtracks so we can skate to them (even it it's just for practice) :giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

flying~camel
11-23-2005, 08:36 AM
Those other people, the "normals", are the weird ones.

Wouldn't that be the skating version of "muggles"? ;)

Mrs Redboots
11-23-2005, 09:09 AM
I am personally offended by anybody who listens to hears any music, in film or otherwise, who does not instinctively imagine skating a wonderful program well beyond your ability to.

Those other people, the "normals", are the weird ones.What the man said! What is music for, anyway, other than to skate to? ;)

I was shopping the other day and bought a Disney CD for my niece for Christmas. Only I then had to take it into the rink to show our coaches, as it came with a freebie instrumental CD, for singing-along to - but I thought, ah, they might want to get that CD for their little ones to skate to! And when I found I had a karaoke CD in my collection (which I didn't buy on purpose - it came in a job lot of 3, and I did want the other two CDs; I don't do karaoke if I can help it), I promptly mined it for Husband's free programme music!

Skate@Delaware
11-23-2005, 09:34 AM
What the man said! What is music for, anyway, other than to skate to? ;)

I was shopping the other day and bought a Disney CD for my niece for Christmas. Only I then had to take it into the rink to show our coaches, as it came with a freebie instrumental CD, for singing-along to - but I thought, ah, they might want to get that CD for their little ones to skate to! And when I found I had a karaoke CD in my collection (which I didn't buy on purpose - it came in a job lot of 3, and I did want the other two CDs; I don't do karaoke if I can help it), I promptly mined it for Husband's free programme music!
That's the beauty of having a daughter that sings as well as skates---her background music also serves as skating music! I hijacked a song from her CD-"You Sing The Songs of Josh Groban" for my program!

Isk8NYC
11-23-2005, 10:19 AM
I think it's interesting that so many people hear skating music as they go through a day. I was listening to Christmas carols on a local radio station and thought of some cute program choreography that would work with the song.

I always judge music in movies and plays for skateability since I did my first program to a "West Side Story" medley! I've been cutting music for skating programs since 1982, so it's an occupational hazard as well. I agree, the GOF soundtrack has some tempting possibilities. The key is to find the 1:30 (or whatever time) that is familiar without being "Not again!". Personally I do NOT want to hear yet another "All That Jazz" program this year. I'll take fifteen HP programs over that.

Isk8NYC
11-23-2005, 10:23 AM
"Okay, here's track 1's cut. Suzy gets it this year. Mary gets track 2. Next year, you two switch..." :twisted: :P

That does happen. Some coaches have large inventories of pre-cut music, so they can go to the library, so to speak, and pull up a 1:15 cut of Sound of Music. They generally "give it a rest" from year to year, but the parents swap music, too, so you'll hear the same program music in the same category, different skater year after year.

Skate@Delaware
11-23-2005, 12:45 PM
The good thing about cutting your own music is the ability to make it more "original" and less likely to sound like someone else's music! I would love to hear something from a popular movie cut so it sounds completely different and unique....instead of the same thing (over and over and over.....)

mikawendy
11-23-2005, 12:51 PM

Ahh, yes, the "skater in my head" can do great things! ;) :D And I find that when I envision footwork sequences in my head, they're always these terribly hard/fast sequences that an elite skater would do, never anything I could actually put in a program that I could do!

jazzpants
11-23-2005, 05:25 PM
That does happen. Some coaches have large inventories of pre-cut music, so they can go to the library, so to speak, and pull up a 1:15 cut of Sound of Music.Not that large of a library if I can figure out who skated to what last year... :twisted: :lol: :P

Hopefully, iTunes, Napster, etc. will make it easier for coaches to get more variety in their libraries w/o breaking their bank account.

Mrs Redboots
11-23-2005, 06:34 PM
That's the beauty of having a daughter that sings as well as skates---her background music also serves as skating music! I hijacked a song from her CD-"You Sing The Songs of Josh Groban" for my program!Mine sang and skated, but she never had that sort of background music - I think her singing teacher played the piano for her. But she did say you used much the same muscles in your centre - does your daughter find that, too?

cutiesk8r43
11-23-2005, 06:53 PM
PS. the most used ever (at least in my region) was Pirates of the Carribbean, 2 seasons ago. At regionals I heard it about 10 times in one day. (possibly more and not an exaggeration)

my sister was going to skate to that but she didnt.wen we went to one of the competitions we heard it about 20 times! my coach said to my sister "its a good thing u didnt skate to that!" :D

~cutie ;)