View Full Version : Who thinks Figureskates should take (free) dance lessons?

Kelli
11-19-2005, 05:36 PM
The rink Figureskates and I skate at has a group ice dance class every Sunday night. I've heard both coaches and skaters say the class is pretty good (ie, you can actually get through some of the beginning dance tests with just the group class). As rink employees, we can take the class for free. I'm planning on taking it - who wants to convince Figureskates to join me? :D

jazzpants
11-19-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm not an ice dancer but... Figureskates... it's a FREE lesson!!! Unless your work doesn't allow you, I think you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I certainly would take the ice dance class if my rink offers it (provided it doesn't interfere with work and sleep, I get a coach that actually knows "something" about ice dancing (i.e. I had a coach who tried to teach a waltz in 2/4 time?!?!?! 8O ) and I get the lesson for free...

Isk8NYC
11-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Go for it. It's an opportunity for you to observe another teacher and get some on-ice instruction at the same time. You may get the short shift on attention though, in favor of the "paying customers." I'd still do it anyway if I were you.

dbny
11-19-2005, 10:31 PM
OMG! I wish I could get in on that. DO IT :!:

Mrs Redboots
11-20-2005, 04:56 AM
Absolutely definitely do it! It will only improve everything about your skating, even if you never actually dance - and if you do, it leads to a whole new world out there, not just competitions but the whole social side of things that free skating, sadly, lacks. Plus, a free class? Jump at it!

Skate@Delaware
11-20-2005, 07:23 AM
I learned a lot in ice dance class (posture, edges, flow, etc)! I would take it again if I could---you should go for it if your schedule allows, especially since it's free!

icedancer2
11-20-2005, 12:54 PM
I took that same ice-dance class that you are referring to at 9 pm on Sunday at that same rink 16 years ago -- it was great and got me started back ice-dancing after a 20 year hiatus and I haven't looked back since!!

Since it's free to figureskates, then he by all means should do it. DAnce is fun!! And challenging!! :)

kayskate
11-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Dance lessons improved my overall skating more than probably anything else I have tried except just practicing the basics. I wish I could get a free lesson of any sort. Dance is the best. Grab it and don't let go.

Kay

TashaKat
11-20-2005, 02:34 PM
DEFINITELY! I started Dance to help with my basics, edges etc and ended up completely hooked :D I still loved Free but loved Dance equally :)

Go for it FS ... it's FREE after all :bow:

Figureskates
11-20-2005, 04:45 PM
I will have to pass tonight since I have to be up at 2:40am for work and I want to be in bed by 8 tonight. However, next Sunday nite is more plausible as I have next Monday off.

icedancer2
11-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Have a great time!! I'm wondering who is teaching it now -- I am sure it is not the same coaches as it was back in '89, but you never know!!