View Full Version : Adult Pre-Bronze HELP!!

Jeanmarie
11-18-2005, 02:35 AM
Hello all!!

I'm new not only to this forum but skating in general.
I took a few private lessons more than a few years ago, but that's about it.
I'd like to compete and all that exciting stuff, but where do I start? Testing confuses me, are there set dates for tests? ... I'm getting ahead of myself ... What skates should I buy? I had a pair of Jackson's I don't remember the model or anything but they cost about $225 in 1999 ... after several relocations they are MIA. I know that I'll find out a great deal about all this from my local rink, but I think it'd be useful to get a whole peanut gallaries worth of opinions. :)

Please offer up any info you might think is useful!
Thanks so much for your help,
Jeanmarie

Casey
11-18-2005, 03:01 AM
My rink holds test sessions once per month, but it's different everywhere.

What's required on each test is available here (moves) (http://sk8stuff.com/f_rules/mif_test_elements_adult.htm) and here (freestyle) (http://sk8stuff.com/f_rules/singles_fs_test_elements_adult.htm). You have to pass the MIF test before the FS test for each level.

As far as skates, you'll find many different opinions. Klingbeil, Harlick, SP Teri, and the higher end Reidells are generally considered to be the best brands. Many are happy in Jackson and Graf and Risport and Gam and whatever else is out there - it all boils down to opinion and what you feel best in, it's largely a personal matter.

Money is apparently better spent on good boots versus blades, as you can start with a pretty basic blade and upgrade it as you go, but you want good skating boots that aren't going to destroy your feet.

jenlyon60
11-18-2005, 05:25 AM
I would not worry about testing until you're had a chance to regain your skills.

Within the US, there are 2 different programs used for "learn-to-skate"... one is the ISI program (the different levels at the beginning have Greek alphabet names) and the other is the USFS Basic Skills program (just uses ordinal numbers). Most skaters, once past the lower levels of either program, take private lessons.

The USFS has a separate testing/competition structure (separate from Basic Skills) that is used as the advancement process towards ultimately winning the US National figure skating title, plus a testing/competition structure for Adults (age 21 and over) that contains different elements/scoring criteria than the "standard track" testing structure. To test or compete in USFS events, one must join the USFS either as an individual member or as a member of a USFS-affiliated skating club.

Generally, if there is a USFS-affiliated skating club in your area or at your rink, there should be information available via a flyer or a bulletin board or the like. You can also check the USFS website

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Clubs.asp

Note that while the USFS website lists test sessions, this is probably not every test session. Clubs organize and conduct the test sessions, and submit the results to the USFS. They are not required to submit the planned test date ahead of time to the USFS. Again, the scheduled test dates for the club(s) in your area will probably be advertised at your rink or other rinks (if they exist) in your city/town.

I also strongly suggest that you observe several test sessions to get a feel for what is expected in terms of skating skills, before you sign up to test.

To test via the USFS adult test structure, you must

1. Be a member (club or individual). Note that many clubs charge a non-club member ice fee and/or will give preference to club members.

2. When the test session announcement comes out, obtain a copy of the club's test form, complete it, and mail it in with the appropriate test fee to the test chairperson listed on the form.

3. On the appropriate day/time, show up and skate.

Hope this helps.... Good Luck.

PS... I STRONGLY suggest that if you are interested in testing USFS adult or standard track (assuming your skills are beyond Basic Skills level), that you buy the current USFS Rulebook. It is about $12 to $15 and outlines everything I've discussed above plus more. For USFS, it is the "bible" and what's contained within it (plus corrections sheets) is the final word, and may differ from what you see on bulletin boards.

Jeanmarie
11-18-2005, 10:36 AM
This forum is ON IT!
Thank you for the quick and informative responses.

I've just found that my local rink is ISI. Do I have to go with that, or can I choose to do USFSA at the same rink. I know, I know, I could just call and ask, but I don't want to call and sound like a fool.
As for the skates, I have heard of all said suggested brands, and gathered it's a matter of choice ... I'm 27, 5'11, 135lbs and kinda know what I'm doing(pre-bronze). I you were me (or coaching me) what would you pick? Even if you are uncomfartable suggesting a boot, is there one I should NOT get?
Just trying to avoid the pitfalls of being uninformed,
Jeanmarie

jenlyon60
11-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Do NOT get a boot that is too stiff, thinking "oh, I'll advance quickly and it will save me $$$ in the long run." It won't. It will probably make matters worse instead of better.

ISI is basically a recreation-oriented program. If that's the lesson scheme your rink uses, and you intend to take group lessons, it's fine.

When you transition to private lessons, your coach should be familiar with the USFS club structure (which club(s) are in your town/city, points of contact, etc.)

If you want to eventually compete in the USFS Adult structure, you will need to test USFS.

Note that the USFS Pre-Bronze skill ability expectations are more rigorous than what I've observed ISI's test expectations to be. That's why I suggested that you observe several USFS club test sessions to get a feel for the level of execution required.

Isk8NYC
11-18-2005, 12:01 PM
I've just found that my local rink is ISI. Do I have to go with that, or can I choose to do USFSA at the same rink. Jeanmarie

Your rink probably uses the ISI group lesson program. If you look at the two programs, most of the basic skills are the same. ISI tends to introduce more difficult elements with each level, meaning there's always one or two "toughies" that you have to master before moving up. Personally, I like the USFS group lesson structure better - it is organized so that everything at each level is more or less the same difficulty factor.

If you take private lessons, or try to do-it-yourself (NOT RECOMMENDED), you can do either or both programs. Group lessons are such an inexpensive way to get back your "ice feet" that you shouldn't snub them because they're not USFS based.

Find out if the rink has a Figure Skating Club. Then, call the membership chair from the Club and find out what their affiliation is with the ISI and USFS. USFS-based clubs usually ignore ISI and try to pretend it doesn't exist. ISI clubs are more social and the kids generally skate both organizations. There are other hybrids that basically work both organizations and focus on the fun.

As a former ISI competitor and club member, and an instructor/coach in both programs, my best advice is to just have fun with it. You don't have to "choose" a path right away. Just enjoy yourself and do your best.

Welcome to the Forum!

CanAmSk8ter
11-18-2005, 03:36 PM
If you're interested in getting into testing and competing right away, and you can skate some already, I would consider going right into private lessons if you can do it financially. Your coach will know about the ISI and USFS programs in your area and where you'd fit in best. Like other people have said, you can do both simultaneously if you want.

As far as the skates, I'd ask some coaches and higher-level skaters at your rink who they buy skates from and make an appoinment with that person for a fitting. A good "skate guy" (or girl) will be able to assess your foot shape, build, level, etc. and suggest a good skate for you. If you liked your previous Jacksons, mention that; if you didn't, definitely mention that!

kayskate
11-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Do NOT get a boot that is too stiff, thinking "oh, I'll advance quickly and it will save me $$$ in the long run." It won't. It will probably make matters worse instead of better.

I agree w/ this strongly. I bought stiff boots when I started adult skating. They were painful for as long I wore them. I was not a strong enough skater to merit that level of stiffness. I suffered for it. Since I spent the $ and was in grad school at the time, I had to use them, since I could not afford another pair.

Kay

Elsy2
11-20-2005, 08:46 AM
I competed for at least a year before I tested anything. Most local competitions will allow you to skate up a level. Since you have never tested, skating up a level can put you in pre-bronze competition. You do need to be a member of the USFS in order to compete.

I started by competing compusory moves. This event lists the elements you put in the program, and you skate a program on half the ice surface with no music. It's a good way to get started without having to invest in music and too much choreography.

It would be great if you could attend a competition that includes adult events so you can see what is what.