View Full Version : Has anyone had a stress fracture in their femur?

Zoomana
08-20-2002, 12:53 PM
First of all, it's nice to see so many ex-FSW members again. I just found this board on Sandra's website.

I have been off the ice for a month and off the floor (artistic roller skating) for two months. I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my distal femur (lower thigh in the back). I spent three weeks on crutches and am now off, but I'm still in pain, though not as bad.

I originally felt like I had some type of injury in June, but it took several x-rays, an MRI and finally the bone scan (success) to diagnosis it. So unfortunately I was skating through the pain not knowing I had the stress fracture for awhile. I just thought I had a pulled muscle or some minor problem. I can skate with a LOT of pain, unfortunately.

Has anyone else had a similar injury and how long did it take to recover? I am hoping to hear anything hopeful. I am really going nuts not skating. I have gone from 14 hours a week (combined ice and roller) to 0 hours and I'm bored outta my mind!

I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon, but his only recommendation so far has been the crutches and now to rest. I am bummed at missing out on my training and most important of all bummed out because this has ruined my plans for taking the Adult Bronze before the deadline.

Any stress fracture stories (hopefully hopeful but I'll hear the bad ones too) or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

backspin
08-20-2002, 01:35 PM
Is there any type of exercise your doc will allow? Swimming perhaps? I'd check before starting anything of course, but maybe there's something you could do in the interim to fill your time & keep you in shape. (sorry--drawing a blank on anything else that's low-impact and/or doesn't involve the legs) Maybe rowing? biking? Yoga or pilates?

Elsy2
08-20-2002, 02:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your stress fracture...My daughter had a stress fracture in her lower back. By the time we had a bone scan to diagnose this, she had been in physical therapy for about 5-6 weeks. She was allowed on the ice doing only moves and dance for several weeks. She wore a back brace all day long for at least a month or two (I really can't recall as this was two years ago). She then wore the brace while skating for 6 months. It probably wasn't necessary to wear the brace that long, but she felt confident with it.

Maybe in a few weeks you can ask if you can skate low impact moves? Might as well start on those Adult Bronze ones.....it will take alot of willpower to not jump, but at least you may be able to do something on the ice!

Good luck!

garyc254
08-20-2002, 02:10 PM
Stress Fractures

What is a stress fracture?
A stress fracture is a hairline crack that can occur in bones from repeated or prolonged use. The most common sites for stress fracture are the foot bones (metatarsals), shin bone (tibia), outer lower leg bone (fibula), thigh bone (femur), and back bones (vertebrae).

How does it occur?
Stress fractures are overuse injuries. The majority of leg injuries occur during activities such as running, jumping, or dancing. Stress fractures of the feet were originally called march fractures because they were commonly seen in military personnel.

What are the symptoms?
You have pain with activity. You may have swelling and bruising.

How is it diagnosed?
Your doctor will examine you and may order an x-ray. However, x-rays do not always show a stress fracture. Your doctor may order a more specialized test called a bone scan.

How is it treated?
The most important treatment for a stress fracture is rest. Other treatment may include:

applying ice packs over your injury for 20 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours for 2 to 3 days or until the pain goes away

if you are a runner, running only if there is no pain
changing your activity, such as from running to swimming

taking anti-inflammatory medication prescribed by your doctor

wearing a cast for 3 to 6 weeks while your bone heals.

When can I return to my sport or activity?
The goal of rehabilitation is to return you to your sport or activity as soon as is safely possible. If you return too soon you may worsen your injury, which could lead to permanent damage. Everyone recovers from injury at a different rate. Return to your sport or activity will be determined by how soon the fracture heals, not by how many days or weeks it has been since your injury occurred. In general, the longer you have symptoms before you start treatment, the longer it will take to get better.

After a stress fracture you may do sports or activities that do not cause pain. It is very important not to "run through the pain" because this may cause further injury. You should vary your activity for one week at a time. For instance, if you have a stress fracture from running, you should either rest or swim for a week, then attempt to run short distances. If there is no pain, you can gradually increase your distance.

How can I prevent a stress fracture?
Stress fractures are caused by overuse. The best way to avoid getting a stress fracture is to listen to your body and not force yourself to do activities while you are in pain.

flippet
08-20-2002, 05:18 PM
Great info, gary! May I ask, though, where you 'swiped' it from? It would be nice to have a reference or a link---I don't know how far copyright issues go, but I'd rather not find out the hard way! Thanks. :)

Zoomana
08-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the advice/info. A back stress fracture sounds really bad!

Swimming is okay but unfortunately I don't have access to a pool where I live. I am frustrated at feeling out of shape but unfortunately even walking at this point exhausts me, I have to rest as much as my grandmother lately, LOL, so I haven't even been in the mood to do low impact stuff like yoga or stretching.

I saw my doctor yesterday and had some x-rays. The bone is starting to regrow/heal. I am going to see a physical therapist starting next week and I'll see what he says. But still no skating allowed. The doctor said it was a really bad stress fracture and was very close to breaking all the way through.

I am going to have to work on those Adult Bronze moves now if I ever get allowed back on the ice, but I am really ticked off at the whole concept of them in general. Of course, that's another thread....But basically I was working on standard track (Preliminary) moves quite willingly and hate to have to now test many of those same elements twice in two different tracks. I am so discouraged by the change in the adult rules that I contemplate doing only standard track on my bad mood days.

I have skated through many types of pain through the past six years. All I can say I learned from this (and giving this advice to others)--if the pain is so bad you can't skate and have to get off the ice mid-session and rest, and if you start falling on jump landings because of the pain, there is a serious problem, don't be brave like me and keep going if it's that bad!