View Full Version : competition gloves for 8 y' girl

imthe1
11-14-2005, 02:13 PM
:bow: Hi there.

My baby is new in ice skating, and was informed I need to buy special gloves for the compatition.

I tried searching the net, but could not find the above.
I know it is suppose to be a type that will enable the judges to see her finger movements.

If anyone knows what kind of glove do I need, name ? brand ? and even more important where can I find it??

Thanks
Ariel

Lenny2
11-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Most skaters do not wear any gloves when they are actually competing. Perhaps your coach meant that she should have nice, tight fitting, clean gloves for the warm up before she competes. If she is wearing mittens or big, bulky gloves during regular practice sessions, she'll need new ones to wear for the warm up during competition. Just go in your rink's pro shop and buy her some gloves there. You'll find stretchy gloves in black or white. Buy whichever color better compliments her competition dress. They only cost a few dollars.

Figuresk8_katie
11-14-2005, 05:34 PM
I think your coach meant that her gloves must be 5-fingered (no mittens) and preferably should match her dress. Once skaters are older they tend not to wear gloves at competitions. However, when you're younger, gloves are nice to wear - warm, and it's not as annoying when you fall because your hands don't get wet if you have gloves on.

Anyway, I recommend the flesh-tone gloves. Especially with long sleeved dresses, you can't even tell they're gloves and it keeps you warm and it feels more like normal practice if you're used to wearing gloves.

slusher
11-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Buy those stretch gloves that sell for a dollar or less at WalMart, sometimes two pairs for a dollar. Go over to the fabric section and buy jewel glue. Buy flat sequins. Glue sequins on gloves. Voila! Competition Warm Up Gloves. Make several pairs, they will get lost.

She takes them off for competition.

dblflutz
11-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Gotta share what I have noticed here lately.....At Qualifying Regionals a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that quite a few skaters actually wore colored gloves that matched the outfits during the competition.....something new?

flo
11-15-2005, 11:42 AM
That would be new. For a while I never wore them in practice as I was doing pairs. Once I had them on and my partner threw me and held onto the glove.

slusher
11-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Once I had them on and my partner threw me and held onto the glove.

Haaaaaaaaa!! that's the funniest thing I've read in a long while. I can imagine the man hanging onto the empty glove wondering, hmm, where did that girl go?

Sorry it had to be you, Flo, but can you appreciate the humour in it now?

(also noticed the matchy matchy glove thing, I did the sequin thing as described above just last week for a girl who needed matching gloves)

flo
11-15-2005, 12:59 PM
You do have to have a good sense of humor, and good crash pads for pairs!

Mrs Redboots
11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Gotta share what I have noticed here lately.....At Qualifying Regionals a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that quite a few skaters actually wore colored gloves that matched the outfits during the competition.....something new?I've seen skaters with long-sleeved gloves - you know, the kind that go up past the elbow, look pretty & match their frocks.

As for ordinary gloves - our elite dancers' coach makes them remove theirs before they start to practice in couples, so Husband and I always do, too, to be on the safe side. Fine, I think, if we're just skating together in hold, but I wouldn't like to try lifts or spins with gloves on.

CanAmSk8ter
11-16-2005, 01:14 PM
I've seen ice dancers wearing elbow-length gloves with a sleeveless dress. Not sure I've ever seen it in freestyle, but I suppose it could be done.

Back to the original question- is she doing a Basic Skill competition? If so, plain black or white stretchy gloves (whichever matches her dress better) are fine. They're just the kind of gloves you get at Target or wherever.

If she's doing anything beyond Basic Skills, I wouldn't recommend wearing gloves to compete. If she's insistent, some pro shops have beige ones that are supposedly less noticeable b/c they're flesh-tone.

My guess is that she's just supposed to have a plain stretchy pair for warm-up, and she'll take them off to compete. Plain black or white is probably fine, just look at any department store.

Skate@Delaware
11-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Haaaaaaaaa!! that's the funniest thing I've read in a long while. I can imagine the man hanging onto the empty glove wondering, hmm, where did that girl go?

Sorry it had to be you, Flo, but can you appreciate the humour in it now?

(also noticed the matchy matchy glove thing, I did the sequin thing as described above just last week for a girl who needed matching gloves)
That's HILARIOUS!!!
We are supposed to remove our gloves for our synchro routines, one time a girl didn't and a prong on my ring accidentally snagged her glove....she tried to move away and she was caught on my ring...we were "stuck" together! We couldn't stop laughing! I took my rings off and she took her gloves off (esp the one with the really LONG snaggy string hanging down!). I offerred to buy her a new pair but she declined-hers was so full of holes anyway. :lol:

Mel On Ice
11-16-2005, 01:44 PM
gloves are the cheapest thing in skating and I wouldn't spend more than a buck on a pair. Good advice from all.

luna_skater
11-16-2005, 03:24 PM
IMO, if an 8-year-old kid is more comfortable competing in gloves, let her wear them. I do think they need to be ditched at higher levels when competition gets more serious, but at that age kids just need to be comfortable so they will have a positive competition experience.

mikawendy
11-16-2005, 06:52 PM
That's HILARIOUS!!!
We are supposed to remove our gloves for our synchro routines, one time a girl didn't and a prong on my ring accidentally snagged her glove....she tried to move away and she was caught on my ring...we were "stuck" together! We couldn't stop laughing! I took my rings off and she took her gloves off (esp the one with the really LONG snaggy string hanging down!). I offerred to buy her a new pair but she declined-hers was so full of holes anyway. :lol:

Too funny! I think there was an elite ice dance couple a few years back and his sleeve (or maybe it was hers) got snagged on the partner's outfit and as they separated, it just kept stretching...and stretching...

Schmeck
11-16-2005, 08:57 PM
There was a girl at NE Regionals that competed with gloves on. A novice or junior, I think?

Daughter Icy tests moves with gloves on, but tests freestyle without gloves. I could strangle her right now because she wore her nice white test gloves to practices this week and they are nasty now! Luckily, I have a back up pair hidden in my room (along with the nasty white polyester knit zip sweater they have to wear for moves testing as well.)

mikawendy
11-16-2005, 10:56 PM
There was a girl at NE Regionals that competed with gloves on. A novice or junior, I think?

Daughter Icy tests moves with gloves on, but tests freestyle without gloves. I could strangle her right now because she wore her nice white test gloves to practices this week and they are nasty now! Luckily, I have a back up pair hidden in my room (along with the nasty white polyester knit zip sweater they have to wear for moves testing as well.)

Oxyclean might fix up the white test gloves so they're not so dirty...

blisspix
11-17-2005, 06:30 AM
Note that if she doesn't usually wear gloves have her wear them for a couple of weeks before competition. Your hands can feel a little different and they may tickle her wrists.

I used to wear gloves to practice but not for many years now because of the opposite problem, I'd get to a competition and feel weird without them!

Elsy2
11-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Every year I would make sure to stock up on those inexpensive stretch gloves before spring.....so we would have a good supply for the rest of the year when they aren't available. Our rink is very cold even in the summer, so daughter wore them year round. Target, K-Mart, Kohl's all will have them.

I also saw a few girls at EGL regionals wearing long gloves with their skating dresses for compeitition.

Mrs Redboots
11-17-2005, 07:20 AM
I used to wear gloves to practice but not for many years now because of the opposite problem, I'd get to a competition and feel weird without them!I trained myself not to wear gloves before my first-ever test. These days I'll wear them until I've warmed up, then they come off.

flo
11-17-2005, 09:48 AM
In pairs I also had my wrap skirt come untied and float away.
Fun with costumes.

Casey
11-18-2005, 06:04 AM
gloves are the cheapest thing in skating and I wouldn't spend more than a buck on a pair. Good advice from all.
I actually like to get nicer gloves for practice that hold up better. If I get the cheap cloth ones, then I'll end up doing a couple back shoot the ducks or hydroblades where I drag a finger on the ice, and lo ond behold, there's a new hole!

A month or two after I first started skating, I spent $10 or $15 on a nice pair of Wilson thin leather gloves (they're made for either golf or batting, I'm not sure which). I still use them today quite happily, and they're still holding up well after being drug on the ice hundreds of times.

CanAmSk8ter
11-18-2005, 03:28 PM

LOL I did that a couple of times when I ran out of pairs without holes. My mom did the same thing- started buying a bunch of white pairs in the winter and hiding them from me. I always felt bad wearing white ones to practice because I knew they'd get dirty, but if I ran out of black ones in July...