View Full Version : "Skipping" footwork

kayskate
11-12-2005, 01:42 PM
No, I don't mean omitting footwork. Actually, I don't know if the steps I want to ask about have a name or not. I saw a coach demonstrating these for a student. I will explain as best I can.

1. First pattern
From backward xovers, the skater reaches back and steps on the toe of the inside foot then the toe of the outside foot. This proceeds while traveling backwards. The skater does not turn forward. After these steps that look like little kicks or "skipping", the skater continues w/ backward xovers. Does this move have a name?

2. Second Pattern
Also taken from back xovers. This one I am less sure about. Assuming CCW back xovers. I think the skater turns forward, steps on the left toe, then continues to turn and steps on the right toe. In this manner, the skater steps through a small waltz jump. However, once backward on the "landing" toe (in this case, the right), the free foot (left) crosses in front and CCW back xovers resume.

The instructor I observed performed both skills in a footwork sequence that looked very attractive. Do these moves have a name? Did I describe the second one correctly? Both look like skipping.

Kay

Debbie S
11-12-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure what the first one is, but the second one sounds like something called a cross waltz - basically a small waltz jump that can be a connecting step or in a footwork sequence.

2loop2loop
11-12-2005, 03:12 PM
No, I don't mean omitting footwork. Actually, I don't know if the steps I want to ask about have a name or not. I saw a coach demonstrating these for a student. I will explain as best I can.

The instructor I observed performed both skills in a footwork sequence that looked very attractive. Do these moves have a name? Did I describe the second one correctly? Both look like skipping.

Neither of them have a name that I know of. In the second one doesn't it start from a LBI and a R toe going backwards? So all in it goes from LBI - right toe - left toe - right toe cross to LBI all whilst doing one turn CCW. The steps are the same as for the first move except it doesn't turn and it is maybe questionable as to whether the second toe is a toe or a RBO.

John

e-skater
11-12-2005, 04:39 PM
No, I don't mean omitting footwork. Actually, I don't know if the steps I want to ask about have a name or not.

2. Second Pattern
Also taken from back xovers. This one I am less sure about. Assuming CCW back xovers. I think the skater turns forward, steps on the left toe, then continues to turn and steps on the right toe. In this manner, the skater steps through a small waltz jump. However, once backward on the "landing" toe (in this case, the right), the free foot (left) crosses in front and CCW back xovers resume.

Kay

I have no idea what it is called. My instructor showed us something
very close to this during a 1/2 hour free lesson one day. I call it
the mini-waltz jump footwork. I think ours started differently, and I
am sure there are infinite versions. Here's what we did:

While gliding forward
Step on L
Cross behind with R, lift L
Step on L
"mini waltz jump"
Upon "landing", cross L in front of R
Plant R toe pick
Falling leaf, push onto RFI edge
Repeat

There is another version of this she showed us, but it's been a while
and I can't remember all the steps. I can see how this can be
incorporated into back xovers.

Janet

techskater
11-12-2005, 08:46 PM
They don't really have names but we call the first one the backward toe toe thing. I think every one of our coach's students who are Silver or above have it somewhere in their program

jazzpants
11-12-2005, 10:36 PM
1. I did something like that in my artistic program and my coach just calls is a toe tap. So maybe it's a type of toe tap?

2. Sounds like a ballet jump (http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_sj_ballet.htm), maybe??? :??

kayskate
11-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Neither of them have a name that I know of. In the second one doesn't it start from a LBI and a R toe going backwards? So all in it goes from LBI - right toe - left toe - right toe cross to LBI all whilst doing one turn CCW. The steps are the same as for the first move except it doesn't turn and it is maybe questionable as to whether the second toe is a toe or a RBO.

John

I think you are right about the second one. Someone else posted a similar description on rssir. Although I have seen this move before, it was never taught to me, so I have only watched others doing it. Since I skate CW, it is sometimes hard for me to convert what I am watching into CCW.

Kay