View Full Version : Test Reports

phoenix
11-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Since we have so many people testing in the next month, several of whom are trying to make the cutoff to qualify for AN, I thought a thread dedicated to them might be good!

Let us know when you're testing & post your results here so we can congratulate you as you all pass with flying colors!

***good vibes being sent out to all***

FrankR
11-10-2005, 03:57 PM
I actually just finished posting this in another thread so I thought I'd copy and paste the report over here so it's in this thread too.

Thanks again,

Frank

Hi all,

Thank you so much for all the good vibes and kind words.

I spent most of the day just trying to relax and clear my head. I took the day off from work so I got up around 7am and had breakfast. I gave my mom a ride to work and then stopped by our town library to return a book and pick up another one to read. Then I came back home and watched some TV and read some of my book.

I got to the rink about an hour before my test and warmed up and then skated for a half-hour. To say that I was nervous would be a gross understatement. It got so bad that as I was warming up my back double threes I almost took out a coach. That was particularly embarassing.

The test started out quite well. My forward power circles went very well. Edward even said that they were the best forward power circles I had ever done. However, after that, the nerves started to get to me. My back power circles were very scratchy. Then throughout the remainder of the test I had a number of small balance checks although I managed to keep all the moves on one foot and the right edge as necessary. When I finished the judges thanked me and I was done. Both Edward and I didn't think I got the job done. I had been doing stronger run-throughs of the test for weeks and I had stiffened up quite a bit. Edward had more students testing after me so he asked me to go out into the lobby and he'd talk things over with me afterwards.

My freestyle coach happened to be at the rink and she asked me how things went and I explained. She was very supportive and told me that things would be okay no matter what. I pretty much concluded that I didn't make it and decided to just change into my jeans and just wait for my test forms. As it turns out, the test forms had come out while I was in the restroom changing. Edward came up to me and squinted at me. So I start thinking "This can't be good." He then broke into a big smile and told me I passed.

I was stunned. I hugged Edward and my freestyle coach and then promptly sat in the nearest chair and sobbed like an eight year old. How embarassing! I couldn't help it. When I thought back to all the work that went into this and how down I was when I thought I had blown it I just couldn't keep it together. Each judge passed me. I actually got an 18.1 from each judge (The passing total mark is 18.0). Each move got a passing mark of 3.0 with a few 3.1's scattered in there although I did get a 2.9 from one judge for my slide chasse and another from another judge for my forward double threes.

Again thanks to all of you for showing me so much love and support. It came in handy today and I'm forever grateful.

My best to all of you,

Frank

dbny
11-10-2005, 04:31 PM
In many places, getting even .1 above passing is quite a compliment. CONGRATULATIONS!

FrankR
11-10-2005, 04:44 PM
In many places, getting even .1 above passing is quite a compliment. CONGRATULATIONS!

Thanks dbny! I'm still stunned at the marks let alone the result. I'm really happy with the result even though I thought I could have skated much better.

Take care,

Frank

PattyP
11-10-2005, 05:29 PM
I hugged Edward and my freestyle coach and then promptly sat in the nearest chair and sobbed like an eight year old. How embarassing! I couldn't help it.
Frank[/COLOR]

Don't feel bad, I was so excited about passing my Gold Moves that I did the very same thing! One judge even came up to me, she though I misunderstood and was crying because I thought I failed. My coach had to explain, I was crying too much to say anything. :oops:

That didn't happen to me at any other test session.

Congratulations!!!

jazzpants
11-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Don't feel bad, I was so excited about passing my Gold Moves that I did the very same thing! One judge even came up to me, she though I misunderstood and was crying because I thought I failed. My coach had to explain, I was crying too much to say anything. :oops: I probably would do the same thing too when I do pass my Bronze FS test, so don't worry about it!!!

CONGRATS, FrankR!!! You DID it!!! (And as I said in the other thread, didn't I tell 'ya Edward would not put you out unless he thinks you're ready?) :lol: :P

FrankR
11-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Don't feel bad, I was so excited about passing my Gold Moves that I did the very same thing! One judge even came up to me, she though I misunderstood and was crying because I thought I failed. My coach had to explain, I was crying too much to say anything. :oops:

That didn't happen to me at any other test session.

Congratulations!!!

Thanks Patty! I told Edward I felt like a sap for bawling but he told me he cried too when he passed his Gold figure test. I think it's just such an immense relief to get through a set of tests that inevitably there has to be an emotional release of some sort. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Thanks again Patty and take care,

Frank

FrankR
11-10-2005, 05:37 PM
I probably would do the same thing too when I do pass my Bronze FS test, so don't worry about it!!!

CONGRATS, FrankR!!! You DID it!!! (And as I said in the other thread, didn't I tell 'ya Edward would not put you out unless he thinks you're ready?) :lol: :P

Yup jazzpants. You were right. Also, when you pass your Bronze test you make sure to let us all know. We want to partake in the happy dance with you. :)

Frank

jazzpants
11-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Yup jazzpants. You were right. Also, when you pass your Bronze test you make sure to let us all know. We want to partake in the happy dance with you. :)Well, my chances of passing Bronze FS will be harder by Dec so we're just aiming for Bronze Moves only for now... but I will try for a Bronze FS test in January. And if I don't pass in Dec, I still have January to pass it. And I'll have confidence knowing I'll be working with the one of the best moves instructors in the US on this goal too!!!)

I'm still fighting to be at Dallas though!!!

flo
11-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Way to go!!!!!

Terri C
11-10-2005, 08:33 PM
I probably would do the same thing too when I do pass my Bronze FS test, so don't worry about it!!!

I too will be in massive tears when the pass comes through on Bronze freestyle- that will have made 5 tries on the test to pass ( I've failed the Bronze free 4 times before the MIF requirement was implemented)

CONGRATULATIONS FRANK!!!!

doubletoe
11-10-2005, 11:45 PM
First of all, congratulations, Frank!!

And second of all, I am friggin' EXHAUSTED. I just came from the rink about an hour ago, after passing both my Gold MIF and Gold Freestyle tests! WHEW!!

I was so nervous about the MIF test that I hadn't even skated my
Freestyle test program since Monday morning. All I did was MIF MIF MIF MIF until I never wanted to see another bracket or three turn again.

After the power circles, the nerves started creeping in and I made a
major screw up on my Forward Outside double 3's (considered the
easiest move on the test, and you'll see that was the theme of the
evening). But I made it through the back inside double 3's and the
brackets, which were the two I had been most worried about. The
nerves were gone by the time I finished the brackets and was asked to
re-skate the forward double 3's, so I did them just fine the second
time around. I passed by all 3 judges. :) The power circles and inside slide chasse were a little above passing, and the brackets and back double 3's were a little below, but heck, I didn't even know what was on the test 6-1/2 months ago when I came back from AN, so I am thrilled just to have passed!

When it was time to take my freestyle test, I started overshooting
everything in the warmup. Just too much adrenaline. It was
ridiculous! And wouldn't you know it, when I skated my test program I
messed up on the easiest things in the program! The parts I had
dumbed down for the test 2 weeks earlier just fell apart under
pressure. I messed up on a loop-toeloop (!!) which I had changed from a flying camel, and I messed up on a plain sitspin, which used to be a
camel-sit/back scratch. You should have seen my face after messing up
the sitspin. I just looked at the judges and went, "What the. . .?!"

And when I messed up the loop-toeloop, I blanked out and forgot
where I was in my program (since it used to be a flying camel there). By
the time I remembered, I only had time to do the 2nd half of my change
edge spiral. :p Then came the axel, and I fell on it. Fortunately, I managed
to hold on for dear life to the landing of the second axel, which is the one I usually mess up on, since the takeoff is from the landing of a loop jump. And boy was I glad I had put that second axel in, since I used up my two re-skate elements on STUPID stuff, LOL! So I picked up the loop-toeloop and the sitspin in the re-skate and all three judges passed my sorry a@@. Ha ha!

Well, here's hoping Frank and I have started a trend. I'm sprinkling axel dust on the ice for everyone. . . :)

JulieN
11-11-2005, 12:17 AM
I passed my Rocker Foxtrot last Friday -- it was my 6th try and it took me 6 years to complete my Silver dances! I had passed the American Waltz back in May 2000, so indeed, a looooong time!

Congrats to FrankR & doubletoe!

jazzpants
11-11-2005, 12:26 AM
YAAAAAY, doubletoe!!! Congrats on passing both your test...

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/a040.gif

Sure hope the axel dust will work well for my loops on my Bronze FS test!!!! :mrgreen: (Or any of my moves on the Bronze Moves test for that matter...)

Same with JulieN on completing her Silver Dances!!! YAAAAAY!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/k055.gif

WHOO HOO!!!!

vesperholly
11-11-2005, 04:48 AM
I am such a crybaby normally, but when I finally passed Novice MITF, I just walked around with a huge grin for the entire day. I think it really took days for it to sink in - I kept reading the test sheets to make sure it was real. And then I was paranoid that the test chair would forget to report it and I'd have to retake it!!! It will probably take me months when I finally pass Senior.

Thanks for the axel dust doubletoe (I really need it), and congrats to you, Frank and Julie N! :bow:

LoopLoop
11-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Congrats, doubletoe! Great job holding it together when you started forgetting what came next...

Joan
11-11-2005, 07:45 AM
This is what is so great about adult skaters - we never give up! Congratulations to all of you who passed tests recently and good luck to Terri and Jazzpants who will use the axel dust to pass their next tests!
:bow:

FrankR
11-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Congrats everyone! :D

I'm so glad for everyone and can totally relate to the feeling of not really believing that I really passed. I woke up this morning and the first thought that popped into my head was "Okay, did I really pass that test yesterday?" :lol:

Congratulations in particular to doubletoe and JulieN for their success.

Take care,

Frank

PattyP
11-11-2005, 12:07 PM
And second of all, I am friggin' EXHAUSTED. I just came from the rink about an hour ago, after passing both my Gold MIF and Gold Freestyle tests! WHEW!!

Congratulations!!!! :D

Both in one day, you are a tough cookie! I was such a mess after the MIF, that my FS test was a disaster. Good for you for hanging in there and passing both!

Oh rats, now I have to compete against you! ;) Its going to be fun!

doubletoe
11-11-2005, 12:14 PM
YAAAAAY, doubletoe!!! Congrats on passing both your test...

http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/a040.gif

Sure hope the axel dust will work well for my loops on my Bronze FS test!!!! :mrgreen: (Or any of my moves on the Bronze Moves test for that matter...)

Same with JulieN on completing her Silver Dances!!! YAAAAAY!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/k055.gif

WHOO HOO!!!!

Oh yes, Jazzpants, axel dust is the strongest stuff out there, and works on all Pre-Bronze, Bronze and Silver elements! Go kick some butt! :)

doubletoe
11-11-2005, 12:16 PM
Congratulations!!!! :D

Both in one day, you are a tough cookie! I was such a mess after the MIF, that my FS test was a disaster. Good for you for hanging in there and passing both! !

Uh. . . and my Freestyle test wasn't? ROFL!

Oh rats, now I have to compete against you! ;) Its going to be fun!

I know! I can't wait! I'm looking forward to that long, hard climb up the gold ladder together! SoCal girls ROCK!!! :D

doubletoe
11-11-2005, 12:18 PM
I passed my Rocker Foxtrot last Friday -- it was my 6th try and it took me 6 years to complete my Silver dances! I had passed the American Waltz back in May 2000, so indeed, a looooong time!

Congrats to FrankR & doubletoe!

Congratulations, JulieN!!! Let's hear it for PERSERVERANCE AND DETERMINATION! You have earned this! :D

Debbie S
11-11-2005, 03:54 PM
I've already said this on the other thread, but congrats, Frank! And congrats to JulieN and doubletoe as well! :bow:

PattyP
11-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Uh. . . and my Freestyle test wasn't? ROFL!

But you PASSED!! I was failed by ALL 3 judges :oops: :oops:

Did Michelle pass her Gold FS yet?

jazzpants
11-11-2005, 05:16 PM
But you PASSED!! I was failed by ALL 3 judges :oops: :oops: Yeah, but you went back and took it again and pass it!!! You're a Gold Lady now!!! (No need to pinch yourself!!! Nothing will change out of it other than getting pinch marks on yourself. :P :lol: )

doubletoe
11-11-2005, 05:53 PM
But you PASSED!! I was failed by ALL 3 judges :oops: :oops:

Did Michelle pass her Gold FS yet?

Patty, I'm with Jazzpants on that one! :) Your strong skating this year has spoken for itself and you would have stood out like a sore Gold thumb if you had stayed in Silver this year! BTW, I would have failed by all 3 judges last night if I had been leaned just one degree further on that axel landing, so it was really a crapshoot, KWIM?

Michelle hasn't taken her Gold Freestyle test yet because (a) she's been taking it easy on jumps due to a problem with her right knee and (b) she's just finished choreographing her new program and needs to get it down and get her stamina back up. We are going to Torino together in February to watch the Olympics (our poor, battered skating husbands in tow), and she's staying a week longer to watch the Ladies' events, so she won't be back in time for Sectionals. So I think she's just going to try to test in early January to make the Nationals cutoff. I'm just going to do Sectionals this year, since I've got another trip I've committed to with my father at the end of March that will conflict with Nationals. Uh, I guess that's the LONG answer to "Has Michelle tested yet?" LOL!

MusicSkateFan
11-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Well after all the encouraging words I got at Halloween.....I failed my Bronze Free. Only one Judge passed me. Thanks Loop Loop for being there. I blew the back spin and the upright spin during the program and then went up to the judges....."Your Jumps were great, Your Spins are Aweful...you need to re-skate both up-rights" Now that was such a confidence booster that I went out an did another bad back spin and an ok upright.

I was mad for the past couple of days and was ready to quit. But I am back at it and had a lesson tonight. My coach was dissappointed but immediately put me on some back spin drills. In his great Russian way, he asked how my jumps were and I said great..and he said good, you have jumps..some people have no jumps or spins!

In fact in an afternoon session today I was so mad that I went out and started attempting double toes, I fully rotated one but landed on two feet..I had some other good attempts...Anger can work wonders!

I cant beleive I pass Bronze moves on first try and fail on the free...Well I am not going to let this hinder my new goals. I decided that When I am sitting in the stands at Nationals in St. Louis, I will have an axel, and be working on Doubles!

So let it be known that if I dont pass the freeskate in time for Adult Nationals, There is a Bronze Man working an axel and doubles!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil:

jazzpants
11-11-2005, 07:05 PM
I just got done PM'ing you asking how your Bronze FS test was and then I read THIS!!!

I'm SO sorry, MSF!!! :cry: (((MSF)))

Remember what your coach says about some skaters not having neither spins or jumps (pointing to myself...) though I will gladly trade you some of my upright spins for a loop jump... :P

And don't give up! If this 'ol Class III (okay, not so old but getting there...) gal isn't giving up after retrying Bronze moves TWICE (you at least passed THAT test :frus: ) , you're not giving up on me on those spins, right??? :twisted:

MusicSkateFan
11-11-2005, 07:33 PM
8-) I wont give up! More determined now.....I do realize that I can pass the test with crap jumps like most the adults but not with crap spins like mine!!

OH dont get bitter everyone!! I am still working through my anger and I needed to say that!

Tah! :evil: :twisted: :oops: :cry: :giveup: :frus: 8O

FrankR
11-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Well after all the encouraging words I got at Halloween.....I failed my Bronze Free. Only one Judge passed me. Thanks Loop Loop for being there. I blew the back spin and the upright spin during the program and then went up to the judges....."Your Jumps were great, Your Spins are Aweful...you need to re-skate both up-rights" Now that was such a confidence booster that I went out an did another bad back spin and an ok upright.

I was mad for the past couple of days and was ready to quit. But I am back at it and had a lesson tonight. My coach was dissappointed but immediately put me on some back spin drills. In his great Russian way, he asked how my jumps were and I said great..and he said good, you have jumps..some people have no jumps or spins!

In fact in an afternoon session today I was so mad that I went out and started attempting double toes, I fully rotated one but landed on two feet..I had some other good attempts...Anger can work wonders!

I cant beleive I pass Bronze moves on first try and fail on the free...Well I am not going to let this hinder my new goals. I decided that When I am sitting in the stands at Nationals in St. Louis, I will have an axel, and be working on Doubles!

So let it be known that if I dont pass the freeskate in time for Adult Nationals, There is a Bronze Man working an axel and doubles!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hi MSF,

I'm so sorry that you got a re-try on your Bronze free. However, I'm with jazzpants. Don't give up. You've come a very long way in a very short time. You have a lot of talent and you're going to pass this test the next time. I think it's safe to say that many of us know the disappointment of getting a retry on a test and believe me you'll move past this and you'll be ready next time.

Take care,

Frank

FrankR
11-11-2005, 07:37 PM
8-) I wont give up! More determined now.....I do realize that I can pass the test with crap jumps like most the adults but not with crap spins like mine!!

OH dont get bitter everyone!! I am still working through my anger and I needed to say that!

Tah! :evil: :twisted: :oops: :cry: :giveup: :frus: 8O

Well! 8O I never! :x

Just kidding! :lol: :P

Believe me your jumps are not crap. You're going to get through this just fine. Don't beat yourself up over this. You'll pass next time, you'll see.

Frank

Terri C
11-11-2005, 07:44 PM

MSF,
Please take heart in knowing that you are not the only one struggling with the spins on the Bronze moves test! My backscratch has a tendency to flip edges and my sitspin, well :giveup: !
Just keep working and keep the faith!

doubletoe
11-11-2005, 08:50 PM

Well, you're in good company. I failed my Bronze freestyle test the first time because of my stupid sitspin, and then they added the backspin in, so I had to master that, too. I qualified for Sectionals that year just under the wire, ended up placing second out of 13, and landed my first axel just 6 weeks later! As one of my coaches once told me, "It's better to be a jumper than a spinner, because if you aren't a jumper you'll never be a jumper, but you can always learn to spin." Whether or not that's completely true, these words have given me comfort over the past several years, LOL!

mikawendy
11-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Believe me your jumps are not crap.

I'll second that!! MusicSkateFan, if you're the skater from Halloween Classic that I'm thinking of, then your jumps are definitely NOT crap!! I'd give an eye tooth or two even just for your waltz jump--it's so high and covers so much ground....

e-skater
11-11-2005, 08:51 PM
I actually just finished posting this in another thread so I thought I'd copy and paste the report over here so it's in this thread too.

Thanks again,

Frank

The test started out quite well. My forward power circles went very well. Edward even said that they were the best forward power circles I had ever done. However, after that, the nerves started to get to me. My back power circles were very scratchy. Then throughout the remainder of the test I had a number of small balance checks although I managed to keep all the moves on one foot and the right edge as necessary. When I finished the judges thanked me and I was done. Both Edward and I didn't think I got the job done. I had been doing stronger run-throughs of the test for weeks and I had stiffened up quite a bit. Edward had more students testing after me so he asked me to go out into the lobby and he'd talk things over with me afterwards.

I pretty much concluded that I didn't make it and decided to just change into my jeans and just wait for my test forms. As it turns out, the test forms had come out while I was in the restroom changing. Edward came up to me and squinted at me. So I start thinking "This can't be good." He then broke into a big smile and told me I passed.

I was stunned. I hugged Edward and my freestyle coach and then promptly sat in the nearest chair and sobbed like an eight year old. How embarassing! Each judge passed me. I actually got an 18.1 from each judge (The passing total mark is 18.0). Each move got a passing mark of 3.0 with a few 3.1's scattered in there although I did get a 2.9 from one judge for my slide chasse and another from another judge for my forward double threes.

Frank[/COLOR]

I'm new to this group. I recognize several names here from another group at which I post.

First, congratulations to you on such an accomplishment. Even though you nerved up, it sounds like you had a great test!

Usually I just lurk at new groups, but your test report spoke to me! I passed AB MITF last year and am working on AB Freeskate for testing early next year, hopefully. My moves test was great before I tested, then I was so stiff during some moves! It really was very irritating to have a roller coaster ride during a test. However, I wasn't as fortunate as you. One of the judges marked me down .1 on a move with no "overs" to balance. But the other two had me above on two moves out of the five, so I ended up passing by two judges only. My coach said unequivocally that I passed. When you said you cried, a release from a good outcome, I did over my test, too. I felt very bad over getting the one "retry", and despite the pass, and my coach's blessing, cried all the way home, feeling like I hadn't really deserved to pass if all three judges didn't pass me! I really felt like I'd let myself down.

Now, of course, I've rationalized the whole thing by saying "a pass is a pass". And I did get those .1's over. Oh, isn't time passage a wonderful thing?! And, I worked afterward, for weeks, with my coach on the suggestions all the judges gave me, to improve. Not sure I have, but I did work! ;)

pennybeagle
11-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Congrats to: FrankR and doubletoe for passing Gold Moves (wow, a lot of gold moves this past week!). JulieN for passing the Rocker Foxtrot :bow:
Also to MusicSkateFan--I am confident that you will pass that Bronze free soon (my own bronze free test was a disaster the first time around).

I posted in another thread, but I also passed the gold moves last Saturday. I was failed by one judge, and got the passing standard from the other two. I'll totally take that, though--last time I passed by one judge and failed by two. It's much better this way.

The test itself was OK, but not great. I was a little tentative on the power circles, but they felt solid (and were scored above passing). The forward double 3s were at or above passing.
And then, suddenly, inexplicably, I had this huge panic attack because the test was going WELL. Don't ask me why. The thought running through my head was "oh my gosh, this is good, this is actually good...what if I pass? Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, OhNoOhNoOhNo..." :roll: I wish I could just turn off my brain for the test.
It was downhill from there. I rushed the back double 3s, and had to re-skate them because one of the judges was convinced that I didn't know the pattern (I DID know the pattern...I was just rushing the turns). I hopped a three turn in the slide chasse pattern (but recovered pretty well), and then calmed down for the first set of brackets. Then, on the second set, I scraped a BO bracket right in front of the judges. So, of course, I thought I'd make the second one "extra good" and ended up hopping that one and almost touching down.

It wasn't a good test, but I'll take it. There's no way I'll be taking the gold FS any time soon.

So...FrankR and doubletoe...are you continuing on standard track?

TwirlGirl10
11-12-2005, 07:37 AM
I passed preliminary Freestyle finally! I should have tested earlier im working on double flip!!

Joan
11-12-2005, 09:41 AM
I failed the bronze FS twice before the bronze MIF were implemented several years ago, then had to take bronze MIF five times before I finally passed and the bronze FS three more times before I finally passed. In the bronze FS, my nemesis was (is) also spins. Except one of the times I failed, it was because I messed up the loop jump both in the test and in a reskate (and the loop is my best jump). The time I passed, it was also necessary to reskate the loop jump, except that time I got it during the free skate.

In addition to the frustration of not passing so many times, the amount of money I spent on test fees could have bought me a new pair of custom boots!

doubletoe
11-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Congrats to: FrankR and doubletoe for passing Gold Moves (wow, a lot of gold moves this past week!). JulieN for passing the Rocker Foxtrot :bow:

It wasn't a good test, but I'll take it. There's no way I'll be taking the gold FS any time soon.

Hi! Congratulations on passing your Gold MIF!! It is SO MENTAL, isn't it?! I have given up on ever trying to do anything "extra well" because it has always messed me up when I've tried it, LOL! Just staying on track was enough of a challenge after I messed up on the FO dbl 3's and knew I had just used up my one re-skate opportunity.:roll:

Since I also managed to pass my Gold FS on Thursday, my focus is now going to shift heavily back to freestyle, where I'll have my work cut out for me! But I am going to learn that one remaining Intermediate move and keep my Gold MIF warmed up so that I can take the Intermediate test in a few months and then forget about MIF for awhile!

doubletoe
11-12-2005, 12:41 PM
I passed preliminary Freestyle finally! I should have tested earlier im working on double flip!!

Yay!! Congratulations!! Once you are competing in Preliminary, I'm sure it will push you to get all your doubles solid!

FrankR
11-12-2005, 06:27 PM
First, congratulations to you on such an accomplishment. Even though you nerved up, it sounds like you had a great test!

Hi e-skater,

I did nerve up but I think my coach and I were working more towards the intermediate standard as opposed to the Adult Gold standard to begin with. Then, when moves started to deteriorate because of the nerves I was still at a standard that was acceptable for this particular test even if it wasn't perfect. Yesterday, my coach told me that one of the judges told him that other than a few rough spots I had a nice test. So, I'll take it. :)

Usually I just lurk at new groups, but your test report spoke to me! I passed AB MITF last year and am working on AB Freeskate for testing early next year, hopefully. My moves test was great before I tested, then I was so stiff during some moves! It really was very irritating to have a roller coaster ride during a test. However, I wasn't as fortunate as you. One of the judges marked me down .1 on a move with no "overs" to balance. But the other two had me above on two moves out of the five, so I ended up passing by two judges only. My coach said unequivocally that I passed. When you said you cried, a release from a good outcome, I did over my test, too. I felt very bad over getting the one "retry", and despite the pass, and my coach's blessing, cried all the way home, feeling like I hadn't really deserved to pass if all three judges didn't pass me! I really felt like I'd let myself down.

Now, of course, I've rationalized the whole thing by saying "a pass is a pass". And I did get those .1's over. Oh, isn't time passage a wonderful thing?! And, I worked afterward, for weeks, with my coach on the suggestions all the judges gave me, to improve. Not sure I have, but I did work! ;)

I feel the same way about my testing experience. Even though I passed, I still feel let down that I didn't skate my best. However, my coach and I both agreed that we would put in a lot of work into my basic skating and just reinforcing holding strong body positions over flowing edges. I'm glad that you could relate to my test report and I can totally relate to your experience. I'm also glad that I coaxed you out of lurk-dom. ;) Don't be a stranger!

Take care,

Frank

FrankR
11-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Also to MusicSkateFan--I am confident that you will pass that Bronze free soon (my own bronze free test was a disaster the first time around).

I posted in another thread, but I also passed the gold moves last Saturday. I was failed by one judge, and got the passing standard from the other two. I'll totally take that, though--last time I passed by one judge and failed by two. It's much better this way.

The test itself was OK, but not great. I was a little tentative on the power circles, but they felt solid (and were scored above passing). The forward double 3s were at or above passing.
And then, suddenly, inexplicably, I had this huge panic attack because the test was going WELL. Don't ask me why. The thought running through my head was "oh my gosh, this is good, this is actually good...what if I pass? Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, OhNoOhNoOhNo..." :roll: I wish I could just turn off my brain for the test.
It was downhill from there. I rushed the back double 3s, and had to re-skate them because one of the judges was convinced that I didn't know the pattern (I DID know the pattern...I was just rushing the turns). I hopped a three turn in the slide chasse pattern (but recovered pretty well), and then calmed down for the first set of brackets. Then, on the second set, I scraped a BO bracket right in front of the judges. So, of course, I thought I'd make the second one "extra good" and ended up hopping that one and almost touching down.

Hey penny,

Congrats to you too! :bow: What's with all the gold moves tests going on within a one week time frame? :lol: I'm starting to think a bunch of us are psychically linked or something.

I am so with you regarding the "Oh No! I might actually pass!" sentiment you had during your test. I think that's part of what happened to me after my forward power circles went so well. I think that's proof positive that our minds try and torture us all the time. ;) And those BO brackets are EVILLE :evil: I'll tell you that those particular brackets were responsible for more than one bruised hip on this body.

I don't have a gold free program ready and I don't really intend to move up to gold this season anyway so I'll probably do the adult free sometime next spring.

I have discussed continuing with the intermediate track with my moves coach and I am hoping that I eventually will be able to go all the way through Senior moves. However, at the rate I'm learning these moves I'll probably be an octogenarian before I'm even close to ready for Senior moves. :lol:

Take care and congrats again, penny.

Frank

FrankR
11-12-2005, 06:37 PM

Hey! Congratulations TwirlGirl. :) Kudos for the double flip too.

Frank

pennybeagle
11-12-2005, 09:26 PM
I have discussed continuing with the intermediate track with my moves coach and I am hoping that I eventually will be able to go all the way through Senior moves. However, at the rate I'm learning these moves I'll probably be an octogenarian before I'm even close to ready for Senior moves. :lol:

Frank

That's my dream in life...senior moves. I'm definitely continuing with standard track, even if it kills me (and from my atrocious attempts at the rocker choctaw pattern, it will)
;)

jazzpants
11-13-2005, 01:21 AM
I have discussed continuing with the intermediate track with my moves coach and I am hoping that I eventually will be able to go all the way through Senior moves. However, at the rate I'm learning these moves I'll probably be an octogenarian before I'm even close to ready for Senior moves. AHHHH, Yes! Well at the rate *I* AM learning moves, the only Senior Moves I'll be doing is raising my cane as I yell out "You young whippa snappas!!!" :roll: :twisted: :lol: :P

skaternum
11-13-2005, 06:53 AM
MSF,
Sorry to hear you didn't pass the bronze freestyle test. I feel your pain at sucking at spinning! It took me forever to get a backspin, and even longer to get a decent forward scratch. I HATE spinning! I'm sure that you'll get it next time if you keep plugging away at it. I echo what somebody else said: you've really come a long way in a short time. Why, it seems like just yesterday that you were posing for a calendar and just barely starting to skate. <sniff> They grow up so fast, don't they? :lol:

An admiring skate fan of yours,
skaternum

TwirlGirl10
11-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks everyone :D Congrats on passing all your tests too!

Spreadeagle
11-14-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm taking my Gold FS test exactly 1 month from today, on December 14. I really really hope I pass because I would like to compete at AN again this year but I would prefer to skate at Gold rather than Silver. Now that I have gotten used to the 2:40 program, I can't imagine squeezing everything into a 2:10 program again!

The only element I'm worried about is the axel, my nemesis jump.

Congratulations to everyone who has passed their test! It looks like the testing gods are smiling!

doubletoe
11-15-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm taking my Gold FS test exactly 1 month from today, on December 14. I really really hope I pass because I would like to compete at AN again this year but I would prefer to skate at Gold rather than Silver. Now that I have gotten used to the 2:40 program, I can't imagine squeezing everything into a 2:10 program again!

The only element I'm worried about is the axel, my nemesis jump.

Congratulations to everyone who has passed their test! It looks like the testing gods are smiling!

Well, maybe you'll end up doing what I did: Practicing your "re-skate axel" after every program run-through, only to land the axel in your program and instead mess up on the stupid easy stuff that you dumbed down your program with just for the test, LOL! But all kidding aside, put two axels in your program so that you'll have 3 chances at it (2 in the program and 1 in the re-skate). Having two axels in my test program saved my butt! ;)

flying~camel
11-16-2005, 06:07 PM
For those of you who haven't read this thread: I want to be the first... (http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18914), I passed my Bronze FS test this morning!

I'm officially going to Dallas! :)

doubletoe
11-16-2005, 06:11 PM
For those of you who haven't read this thread: I want to be the first... (http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18914), I passed my Bronze FS test this morning!

I'm officially going to Dallas! :)

YAY!!! Congratulations!!

Thin-Ice
11-17-2005, 02:59 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D :D :D

Now you can fill out the paperwork and send in your money and book your flights and hotel room, so you can compete in Dallas!!! See you there!!!

Mrs Redboots
11-17-2005, 07:17 AM

I'm officially going to Dallas! :)Congratulations!

Enjoy!