View Full Version : Question about step in Silver Tango

mikawendy
11-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi, all you ice dancers on this forum--
I have a questrion about a step in the Silver Tango (not sure if that's really its name, it's the tango dance from the USFS Silver dance test). When I was at Halloween Classic, flo and I and a few others stuck around to watch a test session.

One of the dances being tested was the Silver Tango (or whatever it's called). It has a really interesting step in it, and I'm trying to figure out what it was. It looked like a swing mohawk or perhaps a choctaw. The skater who was testing it was REALLY REALLY good--fast, very neat feet, deep edges--and he was so good that even though I saw that step a number of times in the warmup and then in his test, I couldn't tell whether it was edge to same edge (mohawk) or edge to different edge (choctaw).

I'd look it up in my rule book, but oh, that's right, my rulebook hasn't arrived from USFS yet!!! That's right, they got my $ in July and it hasn't come yet. It's supposedly coming soon according to the e-mail replies I've gotten. Grrr. :evil:

phoenix
11-09-2005, 10:20 PM
The girl's step there is an outside to outside swing mohawk, w/ the new foot stepping behind the skating foot. So it swings in front, then swings back down & gets tucked behind to step into the mohawk.

The guy's step there is a regular inside to inside mohawk, except it's a closed mohawk so the free foot steps behind the skating foot.

icedancer2
11-09-2005, 10:47 PM
EXCEPT the man's mohawk is also a swing mohawk. The mohawks are done face-to-face with the partner, and both swinging forward on the first step of the mohawks and then swinging backwards on the "hawk" (2nd step) of the mohawk. This step is the highlight of the dance!

It's tthings like this that can really get you interested in ice-dance! The rocker for the lady in the Rocker Foxtrot, the choctaw in the Blues, even the mohawk in the Foxtrot can be quite elegant -- all fun to watch and even more fun to do -- especially with a good partner...

Oh -- and the Dance is called the Tango, or the Silver Tango, or the Harris Tango. All are acceptable.

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2005, 06:20 AM
It's an easy enough Mohawk to do very badly, if that makes sense. Mine is cheated out the wazoo.... and I can't really do it at all without a partner. But with a good partner, it's relatively easy, and looks nice. The killer, though, is the woman's next step - an RFI 3-turn, which has to be held for 4 beats into the restart! I don't know how anybody can do that without a partner to push them along, I certainly can't! :bow: :bow: :bow: to those who can!