View Full Version : Next Adult Competition

skate1965
11-08-2005, 07:03 AM
Hi Everyone,

I think that all of us had a fantastic time at the Halloween Classic... I just wish I could do it again. It was so great to see everyone again and meet new people.
Does anyone know the next competition for Adults? Last year there was a competition in Florida in January. Otherwise the only other one on the East Coast that I know of is the New Years in VA before sectionals.
I still haven't heard a confirmation that the Winter Classic in NY is not happening.

Tim

Skate@Delaware
11-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Other than Adult sectionals,http://www.centralcarolinasc.com/AES2006.aspx I don't know.

I've been told by my coach that I can enter Skate Annapolis (March 5, 2006, Annapolis, MD).

My rink is hosting an in-house comp for the first time....maybe next year we will host an open comp. Keep fingers crossed!

Terri C
11-08-2005, 07:51 AM
New Years Invitational is scheduled for February 4-5, 2006, with Adult Eastern Sectionals 2 weeks after that.
Still don't know which one I'll do- any ideas,anyone?

InsideAxel
11-08-2005, 08:16 AM
New Years Invitational is scheduled for February 4-5, 2006, with Adult Eastern Sectionals 2 weeks after that.
Still don't know which one I'll do- any ideas,anyone?

Both ;)

Kelton

rlichtefeld
11-08-2005, 08:53 AM
The Deborah Burgoyne North American Invitational is January 21,2005 just outside of Detroit in Wyandotte, MI.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_details.asp?id=29698
http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/lister_event_detail.asp?id=3086
http://ic.net/~burgoyne/wyandot/wyandot.htm

Rob L.

TimDavidSkate
11-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi Tim,

I like your performance at HC btw, its very entertaining :bow:

I was thinking on entering the Morris Open competition in Morristown, NJ. Hosted by the Skating Club of Morris. I think it is a week before Nationals, Im not sure of the date yet.

I heard that Winter Classic was being ditched by SCNY :?: :roll:

Take care,

Terri C
11-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Both ;)

That's what I'd like to do, but there are issues involved.
Easterns are supposed to start on Friday the 17th. If my freeskate event is on Saturday or Sunday, then I could possibly do it, but then again I'm wondering if there will be any other Pre Bronze free skaters there. I'd hate to sign up and have my event cancelled.
There were no Pre Bronze skaters at New York Winter Classic last year and therein lies the concern

Debbie S
11-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Terri, I agree with InsideAxel (but then, you already knew that :) ). Look at it this way, if you sign up for New Year's, you'll be guaranteed to have at least one comp to go to. If you sign up for Easterns/Central Carolina Classic and they don't hold your event, you'll get your money back. Actually, to estimate how many Pre-Bronze skaters there might be, maybe you could check on how many entered the Central Carolina Classic last year - if they did it one year, they're likely to do it again, whether it's combined with Easterns or not.

I've been told by my coach that I can enter Skate Annapolis (March 5, 2006, Annapolis, MD).
Is this a USFSA competition or ISI? CRC (Capital Regional Council competition - for skaters from MD/DC/VA) is usually beginning or mid-March in Bowie, MD. Unfortunately, they don't have Pre-Bronze.

NoVa Sk8r
11-08-2005, 01:32 PM
That's what I'd like to do, but there are issues involved.
Easterns are supposed to start on Friday the 17th. If my freeskate event is on Saturday or Sunday, then I could possibly do it, but then again I'm wondering if there will be any other Pre Bronze free skaters there. I'd hate to sign up and have my event cancelled.
There were no Pre Bronze skaters at New York Winter Classic last year and therein lies the concernCan't you skate up to bronze (stupidly, skating up a level is not allowed at the non-qualifying Easterns) at one of these comps? Or, really, you'll have passed bronze moves and bronze FS tests by then, right, so it won't be an issue? 8-)

Terri C
11-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Can't you skate up to bronze (stupidly, skating up a level is not allowed at the non-qualifying Easterns) at one of these comps? Or, really, you'll have passed bronze moves and bronze FS tests by then, right, so it won't be an issue? 8-)

Moves are going well and either the Skate Gods need to show up or I'll need to borrow a sitspin from you to pass the free. But thanks for the vote of confidence! :D

Hannahclear
11-08-2005, 06:51 PM
The Bay State Games are at the end of January in Massachusetts.

Skate@Delaware
11-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Is this a USFSA competition or ISI? CRC (Capital Regional Council competition - for skaters from MD/DC/VA) is usually beginning or mid-March in Bowie, MD. Unfortunately, they don't have Pre-Bronze.
ISI. I'm told by my skating director that you usually enter at the level comparable to what you are (does that make sense?) I'd have to ask what pre-bronze equates to.

Everyone that went last year had fun and the rink is nice (I think it used to be the old boathouse). Although, I'm told by my hockey contact that this is their last year using this rink, they are building a new one (more energy efficient).

NoVa Sk8r
11-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Moves are going well and either the Skate Gods need to show up or I'll need to borrow a sitspin from you to pass the free. But thanks for the vote of confidence! :DOk, well I won't need the sitspin till February, so it's yours on loan till then ...

jazzpants
11-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Can't you skate up to bronze (stupidly, skating up a level is not allowed at the non-qualifying Easterns) at one of these comps?Trust me!!! There's a HUGE SLEW of us in the Pre-Bronze Peanut Gallery who are desperately trying to pass the Bronze Moves and FS tests on time. (A bunch of us are trying for the Dec tests now.) And yes, I think it's STUPID that you're not allowed to skate up at the non-qualifying Sectionals (not just Easterns, dude! Here in the Pacific Coast too!!! GRRRR!!! :evil: )

Here's hoping that by the time I get to NYC that I will be a Bronze lady then...

NoVa Sk8r
11-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Trust me!!! There's a HUGE SLEW of us in the Pre-Bronze Peanut Gallery who are desperately trying to pass the Bronze Moves and FS tests on time. (A bunch of us are trying for the Dec tests now.) And yes, I think it's STUPID that you're not allowed to skate up at the non-qualifying Sectionals (not just Easterns, dude! Here in the Pacific Coast too!!! GRRRR!!! :evil: )

Here's hoping that by the time I get to NYC that I will be a Bronze lady then...Let me know if you need to borrow any of my spins. ;) I'm afraid I have no decent MIF to lend! :lol:

jazzpants
11-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Let me know if you need to borrow any of my spins. ;) I'm afraid I have no decent MIF to lend! :lol:Right now, I need a steady loop jump more than I need spins as of now, but thanks for the offer! :) (My forward spins are good, my former secondary coach is shocked that I now have a backspin (hey, I don't even wanna tell 'ya how long it took to get it just passable!!!) , and Terri wants to kill me for this sit spin! 8O :lol: :P )

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4821/893/320/YBSitspin1_03_14_05.jpg

Terri C
11-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Let me know if you need to borrow any of my spins. ;) I'm afraid I have no decent MIF to lend! :lol:

One good turn deserves another, so here are a couple of forward crossovers available until December 9! :)

Debbie S
11-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Let me know if you need to borrow any of my spins. ;) I'm afraid I have no decent MIF to lend! :lol:
Well, as long as you're being so generous ;), I could use a backspin (mine has gone somewhere far, far, away) and a loop jump. I can do the loop pretty consistently, but yours is so much better, and I need all the brownie points I can get. Oh, and if my salchow continues in its current state, I may need that, too. :P

Are you sure you don't have any moves to give out? I saw your back crossovers, and they sound much less scratchy than mine, with more power. I can handle the forward ones and the power 3's and the 5-step. Your extension will help on the BO edge glides, but that's not really a problem for me, so I think I can handle that part, but if you're feeling really generous..... :)

NoVa Sk8r
11-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Well, as long as you're being so generous ;), I could use a backspin (mine has gone somewhere far, far, away) and a loop jump. I can do the loop pretty consistently, but yours is so much better, and I need all the brownie points I can get. Oh, and if my salchow continues in its current state, I may need that, too. :P I hate the loop jump. Take it, it's yours. 8-)

Are you sure you don't have any moves to give out? I saw your back crossovers, and the sound much less scratchy than mine, with more power.The back crossovers are fine, it's just the forward ones. Several regulatory agencies, oversight committees, consulting firms, and scientific think tanks are still trying to figure them out. :??

LoopLoop
11-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Debbie, I'll be glad to loan you any of the bronze moves, plus the backspin and salchow ;) . And Jazz, the loop's yours for your test, just let me know which day you'll be needing it.

skaternum
11-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Could someone loan me some decent knees so I can get back on the ice??

flo
11-09-2005, 11:23 AM
While we're lending, I've a layback and spiral sequence that's available, and I'd like to borrow a partner!

flying~camel
11-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Anyone out there have some calm nerves I can borrow for my Bronze FS test next week? 8O

Raye
11-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Anyone out there have some calm nerves I can borrow for my Bronze FS test next week? 8O
(((((((prayers, calmness and well-wishes for your test next week)))))))

doubletoe
11-09-2005, 12:02 PM

I might. . . but I first have to see if mine work tomorrow when I try to pass my Gold MIF and FS on the same test session! 8O
If my nerves work, they're yours all next week! ;)

sk8pics
11-09-2005, 12:17 PM
The back crossovers are fine, it's just the forward ones. Several regulatory agencies, oversight committees, consulting firms, and scientific think tanks are still trying to figure them out. :??

Ha ha, this is an odd phenomenon. I, too, pretty much hate forward crossovers, which is quite a switch from when I first started skating. Now, I'd rather go backwards any day, and so I don't practice the forward ones much. Let me know if you ever figure it out! Maybe we can outsource them! :halo:

FrankR
11-09-2005, 12:19 PM
I might. . . but I first have to see if mine work tomorrow when I try to pass my Gold MIF and FS on the same test session! 8O
If my nerves work, they're yours all next week! ;)

I'm right there with you, doubletoe. I'm testing Gold MIF as well tomorrow. Eeek. :oops: I've been spending all day trying to convince myself that I'm calm and it's time to drop the charade. :lol:

I'm sending all of us that are testing soon good vibes. It's not easy. I actually think it might be tougher than competing but we do it anyway and just for that we should be proud.

A hearty good-luck to all.

Frank

doubletoe
11-09-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm right there with you, doubletoe. I'm testing Gold MIF as well tomorrow. Eeek. :oops: I've been spending all day trying to convince myself that I'm calm and it's time to drop the charade. :lol:

I'm sending all of us that are testing soon good vibes. It's not easy. I actually think it might be tougher than competing but we do it anyway and just for that we should be proud.

A hearty good-luck to all.

Frank

Wow, we're taking the same test in different places together, LOL!
My strategy is twofold: (1)Keep my brain busy remembering the technique cue words I've given myself for each of the moves, and (2) Tell myself I love every part of the process of becoming a better skater, even the part where you have to take a test again because you aren't quite there the first time.

If I tell myself everything is riding on whether I pass these tests tomorrow, I will freak myself out and get a case of jello legs that is bound to sabotage me, so deciding the tests don't matter is job #1!

Good luck to you!! :)

LoopLoop
11-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Good luck to everyone testing soon!

flo
11-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Ha! Nova - sent you a PM.
For those stuck in the crossover revolving door -
try to make a concious effort each time you do them, be it in prep for a jump or getting on and off the ice, to do them well. This doubles your practice time. I always look at a skater's crossovers and the simple things like three turns in warm up at competitons (ask Debbie).

jazzpants
11-09-2005, 12:42 PM

I'm sending all of us that are testing soon good vibes. It's not easy. I actually think it might be tougher than competing but we do it anyway and just for that we should be proud.I'll send you, doubletoe and flying~camel all good CALM testing vibes for tomorrow and next week, but I'd like it back right after please! :mrgreen:

Frank: If "Master Edward" thinks you're ready to take and pass the Gold MIF, you're ready! Focus on what needs to get done. Think of it as you have a job to do at work.

NoVa: I would give you my forward crossovers, but my secondary coach just spend this morning ripping it apart. (I'm half asleep so the speed was crappy, but what she was ripping into me about this morning was not having enough extension...) Then again, it could be b/c I was sleep skating again and my lower back is hurting again. Probably better off with Terri's forward crossovers than mine.

Debbie S
11-09-2005, 01:22 PM
If I tell myself everything is riding on whether I pass these tests tomorrow, I will freak myself out and get a case of jello legs that is bound to sabotage me, so deciding the tests don't matter is job #1!
Good idea! But it's so hard when you've got this one chance (b/c it's so late in the year) to qualify to go to AN (for us Peanut Gallery'ans trying to get to Bronze). But I know the by-product of thinking that way is a crappy test. :frus:

I always look at a skater's crossovers and the simple things like three turns in warm up at competitons (ask Debbie).
LOL! Yep, flo is very precise. And my 3-turns have a bad hanging free leg. Another thing the judges don't like. :oops:

Good luck, Frank R, doubletoe, flying camel, and everyone else testing soon!

flo
11-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Debbie - it's just a habit to drop. Once you thought about it they were great!

Also, for those testing, borrow Mika's presence. She said she had the shakes, but I would not have known it!

NoVa Sk8r
11-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Ha ha, this is an odd phenomenon. I, too, pretty much hate forward crossovers, which is quite a switch from when I first started skating. Now, I'd rather go backwards any day, and so I don't practice the forward ones much. Let me know if you ever figure it out! Maybe we can outsource them! :halo:Well, I think part of the reason is that my feet are so friggin' big--I wear size 14 shoes. Try crossing those suckers over each other. :giveup: One coach says my feet make me look like the lettle 'L!' :lol:

Thanks flo for the suggestions. I can do decent crossovers if I really concentrate ... but that goes out the window during competitions.

flo
11-09-2005, 02:06 PM
14???
I thought your skates were too big for your feet.
Actually I have really big feet for my ht. as well. I just figure I have a better base to balance on!

NoVa Sk8r
11-09-2005, 03:14 PM
14???
I thought your skates were too big for your feet.
Actually I have really big feet for my ht. as well. I just figure I have a better base to balance on!Yes, I'm too short (at 6') for my moon-stomping feet. My skates are custom made so they fit like a glove--a very big glove, that is. 8-)

rlichtefeld
11-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Halloween '05: Never leave your GatorAde bottle unattended!

So, Nova Sk8r, what happend! :twisted:

Rob L.

NoVa Sk8r
11-09-2005, 03:49 PM
So, Nova Sk8r, what happened! :twisted:

Rob L.Ha! You and Becca were running around thick as thieves. I thought I posted on this, but just in case I didn't, here's what transpired:
Rob and Becca spiked my water bottle with vodka while I was skating my
single program on Sunday afternoon. When I got off the ice, I began to drink from my water bottle all the while noticing that Rob had his camera ready. I thought that was odd, until I sipped my GatorAde and notied that it was mostly vodka!

But that's OK, because after my program, my parents joined in the "let's inebriate Steve" fest by throwing Bailey's and Kahlua nips onto the ice! They hit the spot. :yum: (And hey, with the troika of vodka, Bailey's and Kahlua, that was a mudslide, no? :P )

Oh, thanks, Rob, for refilling my "water" bottle while I was in the stands! :lol: :bow:

jazzpants
11-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Oh, thanks, Rob, for refilling my "water" bottle while I was in the stands! :lol: :bow:Did he refilled your "water" bottle with water or vodka afterwards? :P :twisted: :lol:

*high five* to Rob for that sneaky trick!!! Tee hee hee... :lol:

NoVa Sk8r
11-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Did he refilled your "water" bottle with water or vodka afterwards? :P :twisted: :lol:

*high five* to Rob for that sneaky trick!!! Tee hee hee... :lol:I think the use of quotes in my above response pretty much answers your question!

jazzpants
11-09-2005, 04:17 PM
I think the use of quotes in my above response pretty much answers your question!Oops! I missed that... *hic* :oops: :twisted:

icecatepairs
11-09-2005, 09:57 PM
hey wasn't this a thjread about upcoming competitions....Sorry Tim we got side tracked..

I heard the same thing about the winter classic. those of us in the east coast are doing a lot of traveling this year. I missed brewster due to injury ,so i think i am travel bound fro the rest of the season. If attendance at the winter classic is low maybe they should take a look at the reasons.

PARKING: costs more thatn entry fees !!! discount tickets are promised and not produced.

PRACTICE ICE :
limited and at ridiculous times

THE RINK :
no place to go to get warm or stretch the whole place is cold!!!

THE SCHEDULE:
one year i missed my interp warmup because i was the last skater in the previous event>>Duh!!! when i contacted them i was asked can't i just wear the same dress...its interp hello!!!!!

If you come from far away and come up the day before, practice ice is still like the price of a coach purse right?

anyway i would do it again despite all that if they hold it. maybe one of us should call to find out and then post it if we get any info.

NoVa Sk8r
11-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Speaking of adult competitions, the announcement for next year's ISU international adult competition in Oberstdorf, Germany, is now online:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-171318-188536-98858-0-file,00.pdf

(And whee! I go back to class I for this event! 8-) )

ETA: Hmm, ISU mysteriously removed the announcement ... :??

sk8pics
11-10-2005, 06:00 AM
NoVa- Are you going to do the Oberstdorf competition? You didn't do that one last year, did you? I did it the first time and had a blast, not sure if I will do it next year, too.

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Rob and Becca spiked my water bottle with vodka while I was skating mysingle program on Sunday afternoon. When I got off the ice, I began to drink from my water bottle all the while noticing that Rob had his camera ready. I thought that was odd, until I sipped my GatorAde and notied that it was mostly vodka!PMSL!!!! :lol: :!:

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2005, 06:38 AM
NoVa- Are you going to do the Oberstdorf competition? You didn't do that one last year, did you? I did it the first time and had a blast, not sure if I will do it next year, too.I have a feeling he wasn't old enough last year!

It was great to meet you at O'dorf, by the way. We aren't going this year, as far as our present plans go. Right now we're planning on Mountain Cup & Vana Tallinn.

NoVa Sk8r
11-10-2005, 07:30 AM
NoVa- Are you going to do the Oberstdorf competition? You didn't do that one last year, did you? I did it the first time and had a blast, not sure if I will do it next year, too.I wasn't old enough last year to go--you had to have been 30 by July 1, 2004.
I'm pretty sure I can't do adult nationals and Oberstdorf, so I'll have to decide which one. There will probably only be 1 or 2 other silver II men at AN, so it might be more exciting to do O'dorf on this fact alone.

flo
11-10-2005, 09:10 AM
I'd like to go to Germany, but not just for one event. Perhaps if they add interp or if I do pairs.

The prices at the Winter Classic were absurd, so I've skipped that one. I'd rather put the money towards a larger event.

sk8pics
11-10-2005, 09:24 AM
It was great to meet you at O'dorf, by the way. We aren't going this year, as far as our present plans go. Right now we're planning on Mountain Cup & Vana Tallinn.

Yes, it was great to meet you, too! And I really appreciated the homemade soap you threw to me after I skated. :bow:

I wasn't old enough last year to go--you had to have been 30 by July 1, 2004.
I'm pretty sure I can't do adult nationals and Oberstdorf, so I'll have to decide which one. There will probably only be 1 or 2 other silver II men at AN, so it might be more exciting to do O'dorf on this fact alone. I'm not eligible for AN, so I don't have the same decision that you have to make. I'm sure adult nationals is a lot of fun, but Oberstdorf was just fantastic! They really treated us great and the locals are so friendly, especially if you speak any German. It's beautiful and the surrounding areas are beautiful, and the rink is great! I haven't decided if I'm going to go again or not --have to get my toe loop less cheated so I can get some points :roll: , but we'll see. Only drawback is that I will have to fly over on my birthday, given the way they have it scheduled this year. If you go, you have to go to the opening draw and the closing banquet --lots of fun! They served us champagne while we skated around at the draw!

Pat

skate1965
11-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Tara, I was drinking coffee when I read what you said about Chelsea Piers practice ice costing as much as a Coach purse! Needless to say, my laptop is covered in coffee. HA! And it's true.

I think all of your points are very valid. Unfortunately the cost is dictated by Chelsea Piers, not the Skating Club of NY. I guess this is why there is no more Winter Classic.

I also want to encourage all of you to go to Oberstdorf. It was the most amazing competition I've ever been to and the town is beautiful. It is well worth the trouble and expense to get there.

FrankR
11-10-2005, 03:59 PM
I wasn't old enough last year to go--you had to have been 30 by July 1, 2004.
I'm pretty sure I can't do adult nationals and Oberstdorf, so I'll have to decide which one. There will probably only be 1 or 2 other silver II men at AN, so it might be more exciting to do O'dorf on this fact alone.

Provided that the age requirement and deadline remain the same, I'd still be too young to go this year. I don't turn 30 until August 31, 2006. Oh well. I'll wait! :)

Frank

Terri C
11-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Speaking of adult competitions...
NoVa, do have any inside information as to when the New Year's Invtiational announcement will come out?
I know that they're probably awaiting sanction, but what is taking soooo long?? :roll:

sk8pics
11-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Frank,
I think they changed the lower age limit to 28, so you could skate!

FrankR
11-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Frank,
I think they changed the lower age limit to 28, so you could skate!

Really? Cool! I need to start strategizing then. :D

Thanks for the info sk8pics.

Frank

jenlyon60
11-10-2005, 04:49 PM
NoVa, do have any inside information as to when the New Year's Invtiational announcement will come out?
I know that they're probably awaiting sanction, but what is taking soooo long?? :roll:

Yes they are still awaiting sanction.

Mrs Redboots
11-11-2005, 06:56 AM
Provided that the age requirement and deadline remain the same, I'd still be too young to go this year. I don't turn 30 until August 31, 2006. Oh well. I'll wait! :)

FrankYou'll be okay - they've lowered the starting age to 28. So if you did want to go this year....

Debbie S
11-11-2005, 09:26 PM

I just (like 2 minutes ago) got an e-mail with the announcement attached. I guess they just sent it to last year's competitors, but the e-mail said it would posted on Wash FSC's website "shortly". There was also a note that they added a Pairs/Group Interp event - groups of 2 or 3. Now, if only they'd add team events!

Edited to ask (rhetorically) what is wrong with the Washington FSC?!! For the Bronze MIF event, they chose the alt BO edge glides (OK, perfectly acceptable) and the 8-step mohawk sequence from the Silver test. Hello? For the Silver MIF event, they chose the FO-BI 3 -turns (understandable, but that's probably the toughest move on that test) and the back power 3's from the Juvenile test (which aren't on any adult test). Huh? 5 Bronze moves and they could only find 1? And for Gold MIF, one of the elements is the Novice sprial sequence. 8O Anyone who's either working on Gold MIF or has recently passed is not working on Novice - at least choose an Intermediate move! And the adult MIF tests are still not used as a qualifier/disqualifier. So if (theoretically) I had passed Bronze MIF and was working on Silver and wanted to compete that level, I couldn't. :?? (oh right, I could compete Silver moves in the Bronze MIF event) :roll:

And then there's the matter of the CM events. In Bronze CM, 3 forward and 3 backward cross rolls are required. Last year, I seem to recall that the required MIF was 2 or 3 power 3's - makes more sense. The elements in the Pre-Bronze CM seem perfectly reasonable, except for the waltz 8. Sure, it's now on the Pre-Bronze MIF test, but only since Sept 1. If you're like me and passed before then, you never had to do the waltz 8 (unless you took Pre-Pre but that's unlikely for people who started testing after adult MIF went into effect). And if you're also like me in that you haven't yet passed Bronze MIF and/or haven't worked enough on Silver MIF to have decent cross rolls (in both directions), you're basically stuck. Grrrr. :evil:

And don't get me started on the Bronze spins. :roll:

Terri C
11-12-2005, 02:05 PM
I can't help but agree with what Debbie posted here. Please don't go crying that we need to be challenged as skaters- there is being challenged, but the last time I checked, judges want to see what the skater can do well, not what is sloppy, cheated, etc.

Oh, and another competition has entered the "Terri's Next Competition Lottery"
The Valentine Open is the weekend after New Year's and a local one to boot- I just found out this morning that they are offering Adult events!

TimDavidSkate
11-12-2005, 03:33 PM
2006 New Year's Invitational

WFSC just sent out applications through email. They are dividing each category into class groups now

CanAmSk8ter
11-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Oh, and another competition has entered the "Terri's Next Competition Lottery"
The Valentine Open is the weekend after New Year's and a local one to boot- I just found out this morning that they are offering Adult events!

Where is that? I'd like to do at least one freestyle competition before AN's (since I haven't competed in freestyle since 2000) and I'm not sure I can afford sectionals and AN's, since they'll both involve a plane ticket.

Joan
11-12-2005, 05:11 PM
http://users.erols.com/wfsc/upcoming.html

Terri C
11-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Where is that? I'd like to do at least one freestyle competition before AN's (since I haven't competed in freestyle since 2000) and I'm not sure I can afford sectionals and AN's, since they'll both involve a plane ticket.

The Valentine Invtational is a standard track USFS competition that will have adult events. It will take place in Yorktown, VA the weekend of 11-12 February. Anouncement will be posted as soon as the sanction is received.

manleywoman
11-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Just sent in my application for D. Borgoyne N.A. Invitational in Wyandotte!

starskate6.0
11-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi everyone

Well , I think Halloween might be my last for a while. Life has been getting in the way quiet a lot :?? I hope you all have fun at your future events, maybe Ill make Oberstdorf again but that might be it for the next year.
Maybe things will change. I wish you all luck. :D

skaternum
11-13-2005, 07:01 AM
Edited to ask (rhetorically) what is wrong with the Washington FSC?!!They always do that. They have a "standard track" mentality, I guess. They use the test level as a sort of minimum, and jack up all the elements in spins and compulsory moves. I rarely enter those events at New Years.

mikawendy
11-13-2005, 10:51 AM
It seems like that approach would discourage people from skating up. For example, if the Bronze MIF event would have only Bronze moves in it, then people who have passed the Pre-Bronze MIF test are probably working on Bronze MIF, so the moves are something they've worked on before. However, someone skating up from Pre-Bronze would most likely not have started working intensively on a Silver move yet....

Edited to add that judging from the announcement, it seems that (unlike in other comps), lutz is not forbidden at the Pre-Bronze level. 8O

flo
11-13-2005, 10:58 AM
A layback for bronze? Who puts these things together? The gold moves are really wierd. I don't know if anyone is going to learn a move they are not working on for a competition. The spirals would be fun, but who has the time? Maybe if it was the novice counters, I'd do it, but again it's a time factor. There's barely enough to work on what I need to for Nationals!

Terri C
11-13-2005, 11:43 AM
It seems like that approach would discourage people from skating up. For example, if the Bronze MIF event would have only Bronze moves in it, then people who have passed the Pre-Bronze MIF test are probably working on Bronze MIF, so the moves are something they've worked on before. However, someone skating up from Pre-Bronze would most likely not have started working intensively on a Silver move yet....

Edited to add that judging from the announcement, it seems that (unlike in other comps), lutz is not forbidden at the Pre-Bronze level. 8O

Um, as of September 1 of this year, the lutz was banned from Pre-Bronze freeskate. That was passed with all of the other rule changes.

If the required elements hurt anyone, it hurts those of us that are "on the bubble" to moving to the next level. Ezample: Those of us working on the Bronze moves/freestyle tests now would have been the ones doing the Bronze spin, Compulsory and Moves events if they simply put what is required on the tests! That is what, for the most part is required at both the Peach Classic and Halloween Classice competitions!

jenlyon60
11-13-2005, 12:23 PM
If you have problems with what they specify in the announcement, make your complaints known to the organizers.... might not help for this year, but might help for future years...

jazzpants
11-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Um, as of September 1 of this year, the lutz was banned from Pre-Bronze freeskate. That was passed with all of the other rule changes.Terri is right! If you look at this doc

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/05Adults-ROA.pdf

...and scroll down to page 5 (Section 303), you'll see the newly proposed Pre-Bronze competitive level.

However, that does NOT prevent local competition (like NYI) from doing whatever they please. In the announcements for this year's Skate San Francisco, for instance, it specifically said for Pre-Bronze events that "No axels or double jumps are allowed" but DOES NOT say that lutz IS NOT allowed! (Nor does it mention about the new pre-Bronze well-balanced program either...though it DOES make reference to it in the other Adult levels!!!) Of course, all this nit-picking ended up being moot in the end anyway! :roll: [1]

It seems like that approach would discourage people from skating up. Well, if the organizer at NYI wanted to prevent skaters from skating up, they're dong a very good job of it! :twisted: If I were to compete at NYI, I would NOT go into the Moves, CM, or spins events.

[1] No one attempted a lutz at Skate SF this year! Only two people at Skate SF attempted a flip this year: the gal who won the Pre-Bronze I & II (she landed hers! WOO HOO!!!), and yours truly (mine became this year's UHT/UHO! BLEEECH!!) in my event! 8O :frus:

flo
11-13-2005, 04:50 PM
My artistic pair partner has decided to focus on school and not compete any more, so I'll be missing a wing. I don't know if my interp will be ready by the New Year's event, so not sure if I'll go.

starskate6.0
11-13-2005, 06:20 PM
My artistic pair partner has decided to focus on school and not compete any more, so I'll be missing a wing. I don't know if my interp will be ready by the New Year's event, so not sure if I'll go.

Sorry to hear that Flo , you and your partner looked good together at halloween.. :D I wont be doing the pairs interp either and I don't think Im going at all :( I have a lot to do before Christmas this year...so skating is on the back burner for now...I might pop down for a casual skate one day though... :mrgreen: just for fun..

NoVa Sk8r
11-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Well, if the organizer at NYI wanted to prevent skaters from skating up, they're dong a very good job of it! :twisted: If I were to compete at NYI, I would NOT go into the Moves, CM, or spins events.Amen to that jazz. I wouldn't even consider skating up to gold spins (and IMHO, gold spins looks harder that master's spins :?? ).

sexyskates
11-14-2005, 08:04 AM
On the application for the silver spin event it asks for "any spin in both directions". Do they mean both counterclockwise and clockwise? They can't be serious! Do any of you spin in both directions?

FrankR
11-14-2005, 08:30 AM
On the application for the silver spin event it asks for "any spin in both directions". Do they mean both counterclockwise and clockwise? They can't be serious!

Yes, I do believe they mean both clockwise and counterclockwise spins. One of my team-mates from Aston is working on this and is having quite a bit of success with it. However, I can't say the same for myself. :oops:

Do any of you spin in both directions?

Well, I'm a clockwise skater and on particularly nasty crashes on jumps I've been known to roll around on the ice in the counterclockwise direction after the initial tumble to the ice. However, I don't think that counts. :P :lol:

Frank

Skate@Delaware
11-14-2005, 08:57 AM
After talking with my coach, she wants me to compete next year as "no-test." I can understand her rationale, but I'm not too happy about this and told her as much She wants me to be very solid on all my moves and jumps before I test :cry: AND she wants me to have some ISI comps under my belt before I compete USFSA (although she admits adult track is different and has never seen an adult comp).

So, I may not be taking any pre-bronze moves/freestyle tests this coming spring :cry:

jenlyon60
11-14-2005, 09:34 AM
On the application for the silver spin event it asks for "any spin in both directions". Do they mean both counterclockwise and clockwise? They can't be serious! Do any of you spin in both directions?

If they say "any spin" what about a 2-foot spin?

jazzpants
11-14-2005, 10:58 AM
I could only do a 2 foot spin in both direction. My coach, OTOH, can do both directions. Apparently he was originally a CW skater (like me) but had to switch over to CCW mid-stream. But occasionally he would try doing them in MY direction during my lesson just to see if he could do it. (Also, his former pairs partner is a CW skater as well.) :P

I think you have an evil "Spin Nazi" behind that choice of spins for the event, IMHO! :twisted: :P

LoopLoop
11-14-2005, 11:01 AM
2006 New Year's Invitational

WFSC just sent out applications through email. They are dividing each category into class groups now
Tim, they had the exact same language on last year's application. It says that they MAY divide the events. I'm sure it depends on how many skaters register for each event, and where the age breakdowns are.

Debbie S
11-14-2005, 11:02 AM
She wants me to be very solid on all my moves and jumps before I test :cry: AND she wants me to have some ISI comps under my belt before I compete USFSA (although she admits adult track is different and has never seen an adult comp).

Well, I can understand your coach's rationale that you should be completely ready for your test before you put the tests out. Obviously, your coach wants you to pass, and especially since it's your first time testing USFSA (very different than testing ISI, from what I have heard), it makes sense that she wants you to be above passing standard (those of us who have tested know how nerves can knock you down a notch, or 2, or 3....).

But, as you said, adult track is different from standard track. If your coach has only worked with kids, then it's understandable why she would want you to stay a no-test for a while - that's what kids do. But adult comps are different (if you got (or want to order - you still can) the video of Pre-Bronze FS at HC, you might want to show it to her so she can see what an adult comp looks like). Actually, not many adult comps (I think HC and Peach are the only ones on the east coast) offer No-Test competition. Generally, most no-test adults compete Pre-Bronze.

I competed at NYI 2 years ago as a no-test - it was my first competition - in Pre-Bronze. My program had a sal-toe, a waltz-toe, 2 half flips, a half-lutz, a toe loop, and a solo sal. I had 3 spins in the program - sit (which definitely did not "sit" - lol), forward scratch, and a backspin that was basically a FI double 3-turn - my coach originally had a 2-foot spin there but then we started practicing it with the backspin and decided to leave it in just to have something to challenge me (beyond actually competing - lol). I also did 2 spirals. No footwork (hey, what steps could I do?). I finished 3rd out of 4 (well, I tied for 2nd but lost the tiebreaker) but 2 judges put me 1st (WTF, but I'll take it :) ). And I had a great time.

It sounds like your coach needs to see what Pre-Bronze competitions look like, so try to get a video of HC, or bring her to NYI for a day. Also remind her that most comps (HC has been an exception, b/c of the numbers) split Pre-Bronze by age class, so what the 21-28 year-olds are doing will be different than what the 46+ group(s) do.

Edited to add that you may want to consider doing some Basic Skills competitions to get some comp experience under your belt. There is one next weekend (part of a larger comp) at SC Wilmington, so you could go and watch. The Pond has one at the end of March/beginning of April and so does Ice World in Harford County, MD. They are similar to ISI comps in that you can only include elements from your comp level or lower. Unfortunately, not many adults do these comps so if you compete one of the FS levels (they have both compulsories (w/o music) and program (w/music)), you'll likely have only kids in your group. They also offer Limited No-Test (no flip or lutz)and No-Test categories, but kids competing in these tend to be really sharp. Last year, both The Pond and Ice World had an Adult Bronze category, but that was designed for adults that passed Pre-Bronze or Bronze FS (once you pass a USFSA FS test, you are unable to compete in the "badge" levels (ex: FS 4) and these comps also offer Pre-Prelim and Prelim FS for the kids, so it's nice that they offered the adult equivalent).

jazzpants
11-14-2005, 11:17 AM
After talking with my coach, she wants me to compete next year as "no-test." I can understand her rationale, but I'm not too happy about this and told her as much She wants me to be very solid on all my moves and jumps before I test :cry: AND she wants me to have some ISI comps under my belt before I compete USFSA (although she admits adult track is different and has never seen an adult comp).

So, I may not be taking any pre-bronze moves/freestyle tests this coming spring :cry:That's an odd comment from someone who has NOT seen an USFSA adult competition!!! :??

For Pre-Bronze, I have seen jumps up to a flip-loop and a lutz (usually wimpy but technically a lutz!) I've also seen good one foot spins and sit spins and an occasional camel. If you get someone with a camel-sit and solid flip-loops, as I have in the past, usually that person's Bronze tests is not too far behind! :twisted: I've also seen LOTS of footwork too and an occasional former gymnast who can do a nice high spiral, Y-spiral or a hydroblade. At Sectionals, I have seen up to a lutz. (Of course, based on the new USFSA well-balanced program passed this year, you can have only up to a flip-loop), I expect to see a flip loop or two! I'm not even considered competitive even at Pre-Bronze but I'm getting there.

So... given that, the question to ask is 1) whether you think you can keep up with those skaters and 2) if not, whether you're willing to skate at the Pre-Bronze level, no matter what the placements are? (And this is coming from someone who has consistently been at the cellar (we didn't have no-test comps back in 2000-2001), to "somewhere in the middle"... up to this year, where I actually won the comp! 8O :mrgreen: (and NOW we have no-test comps!!! :roll: ) )

So if you have no competition experience and you don't have those elements mentioned in the Pre-Bronze comps, your coach is right to suggest ISI to get a sense of what it's like first. What I think she should also suggest though IS to try "no-test" USFSA comps (i.e. you join your skating club but NOT test up to Pre-Bronze) first and see how things go.

ETA: If you do feel a need to test something, I suggest you work on JUST the moves test, NOT the freestyle test!!! (You guys with a rulebook...are you still considered a "no-test" as long as you don't pass the FS tests?)

jenlyon60
11-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Generally, yes (I don't have my rule book handy at work though)

For example, many times on the standard track you'll see kids who will have tested all the way through Senior MIF but be only competing Intermediate or maybe Novice FS. A lot of coaches have a philosophy of "getting the MIF tests over and done with"... a few years ago there was a spate of kids at the Juvenile (and clearly Juvenile) who were taking AND PASSING Senior MIF (I saw a few of those tests and IMHO most of them did not meet the criteria printed on the top of the form "must present a gold medal performance" or something similar).

flo
11-14-2005, 11:55 AM
The Adult program including competitons and testing is significantly different from the kids.
If your coach can not, or is not interested in seeing adult events, then perhaps she can team teach you with a coach who has adult experience. If a skater is interested in competing I think it's vital to have a coach with this experience. I wouldn't send a kid who's interested in competition to a coach with no kid experience.

Skate@Delaware
11-14-2005, 12:51 PM
I will be ordering the video from the guy that taped the HC (no-test and pre-bronze). I'm just a bit bummed out and feeling a bit impatient and sort of left behind! I understand her rationale behind everything though. I would be seriously out of my league if I competed at a pre-bronze level right now :giveup:

I will be working hard to get the jumps that she wants me to get. Right now the only good ones I've got are my waltz and salchow. My scratch spin isn't consistent. The only decent thing I've got that's consistent is my spiral.... I don't have everything I need at this point, and no good footwork, no decent mohawks, no speed on my 3-turns 8O (still freak me out)....No toe-loop, loop, 1/2 flip, 1/2 lutz, etc. No sit spin (I'm trying) or camel (haven't even touched on that)... No artistry...

I know comps are different than skating in shows, so I will be doing some of the ISI comps in my area. Skate Annapolis is one. We will have an in-house in April. I'm scouting around for others that are in late spring. I also get ticked off because my rink closes for the whole summer :cry: and that really sets me back.

Debbie-We did go to The Pond last year for that comp-many of our rink kids skated in it. I think our oldest rink kid was 17 at the time. I don't think they had any adult categories and I don't recall seeing any there. There were many great skaters there! That's my summertime rink when I can stand the drive up.

PS-All of our coaches are used to working with kids, some work with adults; however, none have ever put adults on the ice at a competition. Our rink has only been open a few years and has only been geared towards recreational skating-shows and hockey with learn-to-skate classes. Competition has just recently come into the spotlight. Last year was the first year most of our kids went to a competition to compete (Skate Annapolis then The Pond).

As far as the adults go, there are only 2 adults interested in testing-me and one other (out of the 15 adults taking classes/coaching). This is a new experience for everyone, especially for some of the other adults who didn't know you could compete as an adult skater!

Debbie S
11-14-2005, 01:09 PM
I will be ordering the video from the guy that taped the HC (no-test and pre-bronze). I'm just a bit bummed out and feeling a bit impatient and sort of left behind! I understand her rationale behind everything though. I would be seriously out of my league if I competed at a pre-bronze level right now :giveup: I understand your frustration. I think we've all felt that way at one time or another. It sounds like you're trying to get a lot of elements all at once. Focus on what your coach feels has priority. If you try to do too much at once, it'll be much harder to improve each element (b/c you'll have less time for each one). From your posts, it sounds like you've come a long way despite challenges (seasonal rink, etc.). Don't give up! :)

As far as the adults go, there are only 2 adults interested in testing-me and one other (out of the 15 adults taking classes/coaching). This is a new experience for everyone, especially for some of the other adults who didn't know you could compete as an adult skater! Sounds like there's a lot for everyone to learn about adult comps. You're doing the right thing by going to comps and watching the videos, etc.

As for The Pond, I thought they offered an Adult Bronze category, but I guess no one signed up. I couldn't do it b/c of a conflict with the date. Ice World offered the category and 1 adult signed up, so she did an exhibition skate. The Chesapeake Open (at Mt. Pleasant rink in Baltimore) which is usually in June (I think it will be in July this year) offered a Basic Skills comp as part of the overall comp for the first time last year. I know one adult who competed, and she liked the experience, although she needed a thick skin - lol. She finished 3rd out of 3 (which she was fine with), but when she stood on the medal podium, she was still taller than the 2 kids who finished ahead of her and, like the kids, was given a teddy bear to hold on the podium along with her medal - lol. She actually competed in No-Test at HC and won (she's in the purple dress).

Skate@Delaware
11-14-2005, 01:38 PM
I understand your frustration. I think we've all felt that way at one time or another. It sounds like you're trying to get a lot of elements all at once. Focus on what your coach feels has priority. If you try to do too much at once, it'll be much harder to improve each element (b/c you'll have less time for each one). From your posts, it sounds like you've come a long way despite challenges (seasonal rink, etc.). Don't give up! :)

Sounds like there's a lot for everyone to learn about adult comps. You're doing the right thing by going to comps and watching the videos, etc.

As for The Pond, I thought they offered an Adult Bronze category, but I guess no one signed up. I couldn't do it b/c of a conflict with the date. Ice World offered the category and 1 adult signed up, so she did an exhibition skate. The Chesapeake Open (at Mt. Pleasant rink in Baltimore) which is usually in June (I think it will be in July this year) offered a Basic Skills comp as part of the overall comp for the first time last year. I know one adult who competed, and she liked the experience, although she needed a thick skin - lol. She finished 3rd out of 3 (which she was fine with), but when she stood on the medal podium, she was still taller than the 2 kids who finished ahead of her and, like the kids, was given a teddy bear to hold on the podium along with her medal - lol. She actually competed in No-Test at HC and won (she's in the purple dress).
Yeah, I'm just really frustrated....every lesson I'm given something else new (from pre-bronze through bronze elements). I don't have a routine yet for our in-house exhibition (Dec 10)...I need to tell her on Wednesday that we need to crank one out! After all, that's also what I'm paying her for!

I'm no way ready for anything Bronze level!!! AAAHHH!!!! 8O I've got lots of work to do....I'll have to look out for the Chesapeake Open---if it's basic skills, that might be right up my alley! Although I might have a time with finding ice, I think I will be ok if I can get there the day before.

Mrs Redboots
11-14-2005, 01:45 PM
On the application for the silver spin event it asks for "any spin in both directions". Do they mean both counterclockwise and clockwise? They can't be serious! Do any of you spin in both directions?Frequently - I can never remember which way I'm supposed to spin..... I actually find spinning clockwise easier, but have to spin anti-clockwise with the Husband, and just get generally muddled....

Actually, I think it was Robin Cousins who had spins in both directions as part of his Olympic-winning programme, wasn't it?

flo
11-14-2005, 01:55 PM
I can do a few things in both directions from teaching "other way" skaters - a waltz, salchow, and a 1 foot spin, but that doesn't mean they are competition quality!

mikawendy
11-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Skate@Delaware--you might want to check out the Pre-Bronze FS event at this weekend's Autumn Skate/Diamond Classic up in Wilmington. (My apologies if someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread--I skimmed quickly).

Sexyskates--I can (sorta) backspin in both directions. I can't do forward spin in the "other" direction, but I'm CW and I learned a CCW backspin first. I kept up with it as I've been working on my CW backspin just because I figured I'd learn what to improve on one side from working on the other. On a good day, I can eke out more than the required revs (3) for the Bronze FS test, with better speed than when I was just learning the backspin, but on a bad day, I can barely get it going in either direction. I guess another way of saying it is that sometimes my backspin is equally bad on both sides, lol! I also have the beginnings of a back sit in the "other direction" (CCW) for me, whereas in my regular direction, it's REALLY bad (like, unrecognizable).

Edited to add: I think Rohene Ward can jump in both directions. I'm not sure if he spins in both directions or not (maybe Jazzpants can confirm this). I only get to see him on TV during sectionals and the like. (And skaters who have gone really high in the ISI test structure have to jump in both directions, I think.)

Maybe the people who chose the spins for the NYI event were channelling Kwan, Kostner, or Buttle the day they picked the spins, since those skaters do camel spins in both directions....

sk8pics
11-15-2005, 05:57 AM
I can't imagine spinning in the other direction, personally, but I don't think it's all that uncommon for elite skaters who are also coaching. I know my primary coach can jump and spin in each direction. Sometimes he forgets that I'm a clockwise skater and shows me something the wrong way, and then we both have a good laugh about it. My other two coaches can do some things, too, in their wrong direction, but I think they may be less comfortable about it. They all say that spinning in the wrong direction makes them very dizzy!

sexyskates
11-15-2005, 06:59 AM
Well, NaomiBeth and I tried spinning "the other direction" on Sunday night and were not terribly sucessful. I will try it a bit more since it may be good for my "bad side on back crossovers", if I could do the wind up and all. Otherever I'm not sure I really want to do it in a competition. I also wanted to compete in the Gold MITF because I'm working on them. But there is that advanced move I've never done. I think I'll pass, because I'm challenged enough right now. How many of you out there are thinking of doing these everts?

blue111moon
11-15-2005, 07:35 AM
The Worcester (MA) Open offers Beginner/No Test Adult FS. This spring it's the same weekend as Adult Nationals (March 31, April 1 and Second) but for people who aren't making the trek to Dallas, it's a nice friendly competition. And the medals are lovely.

I understand they're also offering dance events plus Basic Skills and Special Olympics events also.

NaomiBeth1
11-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Well, NaomiBeth and I tried spinning "the other direction" on Sunday night and were not terribly sucessful.

I was thinking about doing the Silver spin event, but I'm now thinking I'll pass. I don't want to spend too much time focusing on the "WRONG" direction, and taking away from the little time left I have to piece together a new a new freestyle program.

I think the idea of spinning in both directions is a neat idea, but maybe they should have saved it for Gold.

Skate@Delaware
11-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all the info, guys. I guess I really needed to vent my frustration. Now I'll move on.

My daughter has been working on spinning in the "other" direction with some success; however, there is a woman in my adult class who can spin and jump in either direction!!! It sort of trips her up at times, because she has been told to pick one direction (for now) and work on that....but she sometimes forgets which direction she has picked (bless her heart!) She has an awesome spiral and can do a Charlotte! She is a former gymnast... :bow: :bow: Mika, she is about your size, but a bit older than me!

Spreadeagle
11-15-2005, 10:47 AM
I was thinking about doing the Silver spin event, but I'm now thinking I'll pass. I don't want to spend too much time focusing on the "WRONG" direction, and taking away from the little time left I have to piece together a new a new freestyle program.

I think the idea of spinning in both directions is a neat idea, but maybe they should have saved it for Gold.

Maybe by "any spin in both directions" they meant forwards and backwards, not clockwise and counter-clockwise? Forwards and backwards would qualify as "both directions" and that seems like a much more rational requirement. It seems so odd to ask skaters to learn a completely opposite rotational direction. I think it would be worth asking the LOC to better explain this. I haven't seen the announcement, so I don't know what the actual wording is.

jazzpants
11-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Edited to add: I think Rohene Ward can jump in both directions. I'm not sure if he spins in both directions or not (maybe Jazzpants can confirm this). I only get to see him on TV during sectionals and the like. (And skaters who have gone really high in the ISI test structure have to jump in both directions, I think.)Yup! Rohene sure can spin in both direction! And I sure felt like he was channeling Kwan in that particular spin sequence!!! :bow:

And yes, after about ISI FS6, you HAVE to start doing jumps (I think) in the opposite direction. In fact, when ISI Worlds was here, I remember ONE guy in particular that is supposed to do alternating axels in both directions. (Not just once but twice... so CCW axel, then CW axel, then CCW axel again, and then CW axel again.) And yes, he IS a coach too! (Mel On Ice, you remember who this guy is, since you've been to more ISI events than I have?)

NoVa Sk8r
11-15-2005, 11:18 AM
And yes, after about ISI FS6, you HAVE to start doing jumps (I think) in the opposite direction. In fact, when ISI Worlds was here, I remember ONE guy in particular that is supposed to do alternating axels in both directions. (Not just once but twice... so CCW axel, then CW axel, then CCW axel again, and then CW axel again.)Stephane Lambiel, in his exhibition program this year ("You're Beautiful" by James Blunt), does a double axel in the reverse direction.
And I believe Carol Heiss, in the 1950s, did 2axel, reverse 2axel, 2 axel, reverse 2axel. 8O

I can do a waltz jump and a salchow (or used to--haven't tried it in a long time) in the reverse direction. :P
Can partly do a reverse camel. I need lots more practice ....

LoopLoop
11-15-2005, 11:19 AM
There's a senior man at my rink who can do a double salchow in his reverse direction.

I've tried spinning the opposite way, but can't get the hook to work.

Debbie S
11-15-2005, 12:10 PM
How many of you out there are thinking of doing these everts?
Well, if I pass Bronze MIF with enough time to spare to learn the 8-step, I might do Bronze MIF just for the heck of it. (but that's a big "if" - lol) I'm thinking about Bronze CM, but my loop jump is not great (grrr - couldn't they have picked the salchow?) and I'd have to learn the backward cross rolls - I can go forward, but backward is Toepick City. Plus, I need a new program and also will need to think about the Bronze FS test - so I may run out of time. The good thing (usually) about MIF is that you compete with elements you practice every day, so you don't have to take time out of what you normally do, but at this comp that's not the case.

And I will definitely NOT be doing Bronze Spins.

sexyskates
11-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Well, I actually love spirals. So I asked my coach about that novice MITF today and he will show it to me tomorrow. If I can do the pattern then I will try it in the New Year's competition for Gold MITF. If it's too hard to even step through, then I'll pass. As for the silver spins, I will e mail Washington on that one.

manleywoman
11-15-2005, 09:11 PM
I've tried spinning the opposite way, but can't get the hook to work.
Have your coach work with you on the 3rd figure test outside loops. The entrance edge and knee action are the same as a camel spin. If you can do a rudimentary loop figure, you will get the camel hook.

sexyskates
11-16-2005, 06:53 AM
OK, I got the final word from the WFSC on what "spins in both directions" means. It is indeed CW and CCW. Always another challenge in figure skating - it's that one of the things we love about our sport?

Debbie S
11-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Well, there's challenge and there's ridiculousness. I think requiring skaters to spin in both directions when no such thing is ever required on a USFSA test falls into the latter category. After all, this is a USFSA competiton.

I practiced earlier and tried the 8-step. To my surprise, I did cover the required half circle with each sequence. Of course, I was using the center hockey circle and I know it's supposed to be done outside the circle. And I have no idea if I was on the correct edges, although I didn't seem to be straying too far from the circle line, so I guess that's a good sign. But my counting was very slow - definitely no quickness or power there. And my back cross rolls are still quite noisy.

Joan
11-16-2005, 06:18 PM
I practiced earlier and tried the 8-step. To my surprise, I did cover the required half circle with each sequence. Of course, I was using the center hockey circle and I know it's supposed to be done outside the circle. And I have no idea if I was on the correct edges, although I didn't seem to be straying too far from the circle line, so I guess that's a good sign. But my counting was very slow - definitely no quickness or power there. And my back cross rolls are still quite noisy.

I've been working on silver moves for awhile (and will be for quite awhile longer, since I am so far away from proficiency on these) and I think the trickiest part of the 8-step mohawk sequence is the outside edge to outside edge mohawk. I really cheat it and make a huge scraping sound!