View Full Version : Bouncy or flat: lessons/practices 7-13 November

Mrs Redboots
11-08-2005, 06:38 AM
Bouncy, because that is what I still feel after Sunday! Flat, because I was so exhausted yesterday!

Flat: Our couples' lesson was cut short as Husband had a meeting and had to go to work early, and for once the coach couldn't start early. But that was okay; I had the last 10 minutes on my own, and we got enough to practice on anyway. We tried to listen to the music for our new free dance - not that I want to start choreographing it as yet, but just to get a few ideas - but someone started up with a very loud drill (they are repairing the boards), and it was impossible! Coach has taken the CD with him to have a listen.

Bouncy: Started to work on a couple of choices for the spin - we are still not winning on the waltz-hold spin, but may be able to do it if we go into it hand-in-hand. Failing that, we will do a similar spin to this year's, only then make it a change-foot! Which might even be more fun to do..... you start off linking left arms, do 1 or 2 revolutions, then quickly change feet and arms! I got too giddy to continue with spins, so we started to play with lifts, and lift dismounts - we now have a dismount for the first lift, although we may decide to finish with it again and not need it, and we actually did our 2nd lift, on the ice, moving! But very badly; Husband still hasn't quite worked out how he needs to be on the ice. That will probably be a carry lift, and we'll try to get more turn on our other lift.

Anyway, we have loads to practice, and it's all good fun!

pennybeagle
11-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Bouncy:
PASSED my Gold moves test. And the Willow Waltz.
:D :D :D :D :D

Flat:
How is it that taking ONE week off of working on my program can affect my endurance so much? (And why does it take months to build it back up?)

I must be old.

Skate@Delaware
11-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Bouncy:

Flat:
How is it that taking ONE week off of working on my program can affect my endurance so much? (And why does it take months to build it back up?)

I must be old.
I ain't the years-it's the mileage!!! :lol:

Congrats on your tests!!!!!

jazzpants
11-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Bouncy: Nothing much, other than getting a few more well wishers from the Monday night session.

Flat: That's how my edge feels like on the 4th step of the 5 step mohawk!!! GRRRRR!!! Must fix it before next test.

Also, the public sessions are getting more and more crowded, even at my weekend rink. Am rethinking my practice sessions schedule so I have better ice quality time (and still not fall asleep on the ice...LOL!!!) Right now, I'm getting tired out from dodging Gretsky-wannabes. GRRRR!!! :frus:

The only good flat... is flat on my back in my nice comfy bed!!! AHHHH!!! :mrgreen: So need sleep!!! http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/zzz.gif

Edited to add: Congrats to pennybeagle on passing her Gold Moves test and the Willow Waltz dance test!!! Phoenix for her Blues!!! YAAAAAAY, you two!!!! :mrgreen:

phoenix
11-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Bouncy: Passed my Blues on Saturday (see other thread) w/ points over & everything, which I never get. Am still flying high.

One of my choctaw exercises is finally recognizable, if still not quick, and I'm able to add a bracket/bracket into the middle of it, which is more fun than it looked like it would be when demonstrated!

I don't think anything's too flat right now, I'm still too dizzily happy! :D

Debbie S
11-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Congratulations, pennybeagle! Are you going to continue on the standard track?

Bouncy: Had a great time at the Halloween Classic this weekend (see other thread). Worked on improving my crossovers yesterday in lesson. I need to push under more on crossovers instead of backward, which will hopefully fix my posture and scratch problems. Landed some loop jumps, which were on vacation last week - good thing I didn't do FS at HC.

Flat: Backspin still MIA. I feel like the problems with it started after I last got my blades sharpened. The guy said he didn't change anything (depth, etc.) so I have no idea what could have happened. Of course, the sharpening also coincided with the time I started putting much more focus into moves and stopped practicing the backspin as often as I had, so that could be the reason. My salchow is also messed up - that's another thing I haven't been practicing much lately, but I've been able to do it for 3 years! :twisted: :frus:

slusher
11-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Bouncy:
I must be old.

Congratulations!! I actually like the Willow but am sick of doing it. I'm testing the Willow in December apparently.

Bouncy:

My sit spin has come home to stay and has shown up at three skating sessions in a row. It's more centred than my upright spin.

And speaking of Moves, I'll talk of Skills and actually admit that I did power circles that didn't make coach cringe. That stop at the end though, I'll never get that. Therefore it was the thing that got picked apart and not my crosscuts, for once.

Flat:

Backspin has left. I guess my body can't handle all the spins at the same time, they must fight amongst each other. My legs are tired, I ran on the weekend.

pennybeagle
11-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Congratulations, pennybeagle! Are you going to continue on the standard track?

Thanks everyone! Yep, I'm doing standard track now, although I'm quite sick of this set of moves. Looking forward to the novice set!

sunshinepointe
11-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Flat

I called the rink today, still no answer.

So I called the skating director at home and asked her what was up with getting the ice back to normal from the hurricane and she said that the insurance adjustor was out there as we were speaking assessing the total damage. The roof stripped off and then it rained so pretty much everything was ruined. Nice. She did say that stuff dried out now and the refrigeration system is working. But...

It'll be at LEAST 2 weeks before they think they can start on the ice. So they're thinking the rink will be open in a month. That'll make TWO WHOLE MONTHS without skating. Plus it's the holiday season - I've never skated through the holidays and I was so looking forward to it.

Obviously the holiday show is cancelled.

Bouncy

There's a local rink that I'm going to try this weekend but it's *gasp* teen night. I'm 24...I'll try to pass off as a 19 year old *snort*. My old rink is going to announce when they'll be able to reopen this week so I might have to go back there. Ick. Stupid hurricane. But I do have some options at least.

The other good news is that while the show is being cancelled, the skating director says they're going to do a show anyway when things get back to normal - I said we should do a post-hurricane "we made it" type of show and she liked the idea. At least now I'll be able to participate in the show (I had to withdraw from the holiday show for unrelated reasons) and I won't be pigeon-holed into Christmas music, making my duet easier - I'll have to rechoreograph the whole thing, but it was fun doing it so who cares.

Sigh...WHAT I wouldn't give to be skating right now.... :cry:

TaBalie
11-08-2005, 07:45 PM
I am battling some health problems and took about a month off... I am not better, but I did get back on the ice last week. I skated again on Monday...

Bouncy:
Over my "vacation" my spins have become incredibly centered and fast. My change sit was so good my jaw dropped in shock afterwards! LOL This most likely was a one-time thing and my spins will revert backwards tomorrow... :P

Flat:
Mentally I am having so much trouble with alternating 3-turns!!! Arg. I can do all 3-turns on their own, my 3-turn entries into jumps are good, I can do forward 3s to back 3s... Just no alternating 3s!!! I find it impossible to step forward. My coach agrees that it is mental, and thinks I should just forget about it, but I can't help myself from obsessing...

Skate@Delaware
11-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Bouncy: Made it back to the rink-still with this cold in tow but it's not as bad and I have some voice back...my kids better watch out! Hmmm, where to start??? Crossovers: I did an exercise where you leave your legs crossed and you do a circle, then you stroke, cross your legs and go around the other way because my crossovers have been really off....and this helped me get the feeling of being on edge. So then I did a few laps of alternating crossovers which were better. Back crossovers were good until I CLICKED and went down on my right hip (last week I feel on my left hip on a spin). So now I'll have matching bruises. And I wasn't wearing any padding (duh, just working on basics).

:D Spins: I finally managed to get that free leg up! I guess it had to work on it's own speed. Then I did some (attempted) sit spins from the whole back crossover she-bang and I actually felt like it worked better and lower! Need to get it on video so I can compare.

Flat: Backspin is nowhere near close right now....and I'm back to scratching my toepicks on back crossovers and my waltz jump...but considering I've been sick, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it (for today). Mohawks were sub par (blech). I wasn't too tired when I finished, did manage to drink tons while out on the ice. AND, they locked the music cabinet and there was no way to turn on the little boom box :evil: so we had NO MUSIC!!! (makes scratchy toepicks even worse to hear!)

cutiesk8r43
11-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Bouncy:
got the beat for the dutch waltz today :D , coach was happy with my program and axels

Flat:
coach is adding another axel in my program 8O ,camels were horrible, trying to do split jumps which isnt really working loll :D

~Cutie ;)

Terri C
11-08-2005, 08:07 PM
First things first:
Congratulations Pennybeagle!! Wasn't it about a year ago that you passed the Silver moves and free?

Bouncy:
Mostly everything was good today, moves , spins ('cept for the sit :giveup: )
jumps and program runthrough.

Flat:
I normally don't skate on Tuesdays, since it's Learn to Skate and there are several skaters on the freestyle before. So having to watch out for the clueless ones are a pain!

aussieskater
11-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Congratulations pennybeagle and phoenix - what an achievement for you!

Bouncy - lots bouncy this week (not least the back CW crossovers bouncing up in the middle - erkk!) Have managed two dance practices with DH, and our dance coach was suitably impressed with the improvement in our basic stroking together. (I had hoped there was visible improvement - we'd worked hard on unison and it certainly felt better.) She started us on dance chasses - him forwards, me back; and they are so much fun!! And so fast! We did about a hundred more laps of them today. My legs ache. No wonder.

She also started me on back swing rolls. To my surprise, I kind of managed them. Now I have this exercise where I do one left back chasse, then one right one, then one left back swing roll, then one right one, right around the rink. That exercise ought to be in the "flat" section of the practice report, I'm guessing.

And we were finally allowed to play with the Dutch Waltz. Also the Canasta and Fiesta Tangos. All at once. None of it competently done, but heaps of fun nonetheless.

Not much flat this week (apart from aforementioned back crossovers).

blisspix
11-09-2005, 04:28 AM
One week heading towards ok, the next urghh (today). I guess this is what happens when you only skate once a week after a 4 year break.

flat - spins were very off today. I was having trouble stopping myself from falling off edges. I keep dropping my hip and shoulders. Must get a coach so I can start correcting these errors that are creeping in.

bouncy - started rereading Choreography and Style for Ice Skaters. I've been taking ballet classes of late and it's about time I started working in some of the things I've been learning (though while I was overseas a coach asked if I was an ice dancer, so it must be paying off - I've never taken an ice dance lesson in my life! very pleased). Tried out some spirals for the first time in 4 years, were not too bad at all. Some additional height today on the flip, salchow and waltz/axel prep which was good.

Mrs Redboots
11-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Congratulations, Pennybeagle. I can do the Willow, although it's certainly not at test standard, but Gold moves.... wow! :bow:

Bouncy: New spin is going to work! It's only a variation on the very simple spin we did before, but does involve a change of hold and a change of foot - right now we are working on getting 2 revs on each foot, which we even managed once! And with 6 months to get it up and running.... we've stopped worrying about it!

Music plays great on rink player, and although it's going to be hard work, we can do this! Husband's coach likes my choice of music for his free programme!

In my lesson, I did really nice back cross-rolls, all flowy and on edges. Only snag was, my knees were too straight, I know.

Flat: I'm sure there's a mouse in this room! A live one, I mean, not the computer variety. Not that I'm scared of mice, but I'd still rather not have one running round.....

In my lesson, my back cross-cuts varied - I could either do them, but scrapily, or not scrape, lurch forward, and not do them! Duh..... Worked on the end pattern of the Fiesta, which is what I seriously need to work on right now, and I wish I knew how I was going to fix all that's wrong with it! I mean, I do know what's wrong, but fixing it.... sheesh....

phoenix
11-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Bouncy: Well, in this case bouncy is not good as that's what I did on the ice this morning! Tripped over my partner's foot & did a nose dive taking the brunt of it on one knee. Normally I'm a 'get back up & do it again' person, but this one took a minute to shake off & be able to get up. And coach, who is also normally a 'get back up & do it again' person, actually got me an ice pack & sat me down off the ice for a few minutes!

The good kind of bouncy: Our skating is starting to gel a bit, & skating together is getting easier. Our timing is naturally different, so it's been a process to get our unison to match. I got a small lecture: "you have to learn to listen to your partner and follow him. When his foot hits the ice, that's when your foot hits the ice. When his leg swings, that's when your leg swings." I am by nature a take charge kind of girl, so this will be very good for me to learn how to be quiet & let someone else be in charge.

Mrs. Redboots: I woke up very early Sat. morning to the sound of *something* in one of my cupboards. Sure enough, opened up a door to find Mr. Mouse staring right back at me, in the middle of chewing his way into a box of pasta! I'm always amazed at how they're so bold. Put a trap out w/ peanut butter, which blapped him within the hour. Now I need to get some poison for the attic which is how they get in. Ick!!

crayonskater
11-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Bouncy: My retarded waltz jump now has a retarded baby brother! Today I learned how to do a toe loop and I didn't die! I do my toe loops out of waltz jumps (I have decent flow) mostly because my FI3s don't exist yet.

I can do a one foot spin pulling my knee up now.

Flat: Things one must not do on toe loops:

Rock off the toe pick
Land on my left foot
Try to rotate before jumping
Land on a flat (owie).

doubletoe
11-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Bouncy:

Flat:

I must be old.

Hey, that's awesome! I test my Gold MIF tomorrow. . . 8O
So what's next for you?

doubletoe
11-09-2005, 12:34 PM
And speaking of Moves, I'll talk of Skills and actually admit that I did power circles that didn't make coach cringe. That stop at the end though, I'll never get that. Therefore it was the thing that got picked apart and not my crosscuts, for once.

What stop at the end?? Is there a way you're supposed to stop at the end of the power circles?

jazzpants
11-09-2005, 01:11 PM
I am battling some health problems and took about a month off... I am not better, but I did get back on the ice last week. I skated again on Monday... Sorry to hear about your health problem... but glad you're now well enough to skate again.

Bouncy: Well, not me!!! I was sleep skating again!!! http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/zzz.gif

Flat: Back to working on Bronze Moves!!!

And I got some work to do on both the forward and back crossovers... Secondary coach emphasize on my back crossovers this thing about "bilateral" skating and how she should not be able to tell which side is my weaker side. She said I was not twisting my torso into the circle (sorta perpendicular, but definitely NOT parallel to my foot.)

As for my forward crossovers, she says I need more extension. Okay, at least it's not so bad that she thought of "wee wee" legs, though it was very tempting to do that bad habit again, I wouldn't let it.

Flat on my back in my nice comfy bed is where I want to be this morning!!! :twisted: http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/zzz.gif (My lower back is hurting... already called my chiro...)

slusher
11-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Now I have this exercise where I do one left back chasse, then one right one, then one left back swing roll, then one right one, right around the rink.

That's the Swing dance I think.

Doubletoe, the stop at the end of Power Circles is a RFO T stop, right foot in front. Quickly. nope, quicker than that. Try again. Stop dead and keel over on your nose is a nice attempt.

Flat I didn't skate today, life got in the way. :cry:

on the upside, I am doing laundry, so those that skate with me will no longer be offended by my skate bag stench.

doubletoe
11-09-2005, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=slusher]

Doubletoe, the stop at the end of Power Circles is a RFO T stop, right foot in front. Quickly. nope, quicker than that. Try again. Stop dead and keel over on your nose is a nice attempt.
QUOTE]

Hmm. . . I have no problem with a RFO T stop since it's the stop I use all the time, but my coach has never made me come to a stop after the power circles. I'm just supposed to glide for about 4 seconds and then make my way back to the center of the rink for the next one. I'm testing my Gold MIF tomorrow so I cetainly HOPE that stop isn't expected! 8O

jenlyon60
11-09-2005, 08:37 PM
I've trialed USFS Intermediate MIF (including the power circles that are also on Adult Gold MIF). There isn't a required Stop as part of the move for either one.

aussieskater
11-09-2005, 09:55 PM
That's the Swing dance I think.
Ah-hah! So *that's* what Coach meant when she said that once I have this under control I'd be able to do most of ***didn't-catch-name*** Dance! (That will be some time.)

Debbie S
11-09-2005, 10:02 PM
Bouncy: I think my backspin is back! (shhhhh - you didn't hear me say that ;) :halo: ) Must be something about the ice at the rink where I practiced today - this was the rink where I did my first real backspin last summer. Also had some success with my loop and salchow - woohoo!

The ice was a bit crowded (or so another skater told me - I'm usually not there on Wednesdays), but I did get some moves practice in and and worked on backspins and jumps. A friend of flo's, who has really good jumps, was there and I was watching her technique a bit - I tried to follow her example of jumping up and out more - I tend to pull in, which gets me around, but not very much off the ice and I've been told that technique isn't necessary for singles.

Flat: Moves are still not where I'd like them to be, and doing them on the smaller surface was actually making me slow down a bit - not good. Well, the large number of skaters was also a factor in that. Flo, do you know if the Sunday morning sessions there are crowded? (that would be the session at 9:30, not 8 :) )

Skate@Delaware
11-10-2005, 06:52 AM
This is for my lesson last night...
Flat: Forward Crossover Figure 8 Pattern!! UUUGGGHH! Very hard to do (harder when dodging little kids). But, we finally figured out how to squeeze 5 crossovers into the pattern, got the tempo figured out, and now I gotta work on the toe extension.. :giveup: Toe-loops still giving me fits (trying to not do toe-waltz's). I'm worried that right now I don't have a beginning of a program for the exhibition skate (Dec 10)-she keeps adding "new" jumps and things for me to try and work on....I need to mention that to her next week that the clock is ticking! I don't want to throw something together at the last minute but it looks like we may end up doing that! We can always add/change it later for competition but I want something for the exhibition :cry:

Bouncy: I learned the 1/2 lutz! It's cool. And a jump combo-1/2 flip into toe-loop. I also managed several spins for her that weren't sooo bad (isn't it funny-when you go to show someone something how they sometimes stink?). They are much better. My Salchow was really good (on my first attempt) with good height, the next two were messed up (from dodging kids and rushing)....This was the jump I couldn't do a few weeks ago! Then we did loops from a 3-turn (instead of back crossovers) which was actually better this time.

My homework is to add height on my waltz, toe, and Salchow! Work on the loop (I'm really close), figure-8 pattern, spins, spiral pattern (LFO to RFI), and 3-turns at speed 8O

flo
11-10-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi Debbie - I'm not sure. We have some good club ice, but it's on Saturday. On sunday I zzzzzzz.

TashaKat
11-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Crikey, I've not been able to participate on one of these threads for YONKS! I do miss skating, I really miss skating :( I wish that I could get back to my former 'glory' :lol:

BOUNCY

Am going skating with work to Somerset House in a couple of weeks. It's going to be pretty packed and they don't like you skating any more than a nanometre per minute and you certainly can't do anything 'fancy' like a spin but it's going to be nice to be back on the ice again. All I need now is the lottery fairy to come down and grant me three wishes (a single win on a triple rollover, losing a ton of unsightly blubber and the ability to carry on from where I left off when I broke my wrist many moons ago ....). Oh well, I can wish :D

FLAT

I'm going to suck :(

Mrs Redboots
11-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Am going skating with work to Somerset House in a couple of weeks.

I'm going to suck :(I doubt it; I'm sure you will be better than most..... Are you in London for long, any chance we'll get to see you?

Skate@Delaware
11-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Tashakat, I'm sorry you're not skating! That makes several who are off ice for one reason or another :cry:

Today's session was flat...(mostly)...woke up with a migraine and went skating anyway (I'm a glutton for punishment). Just in case, I wore my crash pads and proceeded to fall on the one spot that wasn't padded (knees) :oops:

Session was a bit more crowded than usual, school was out for an in-service day so we had about 12-15 on ice....but not too bad (wall-huggers mostly).

Figure-8 pattern was very good, so I'm happy about that-that's the bouncy part. Everything else is pretty flat...even my Salchow! I was just off today. And waaaaay overdue for a sharpening!!! That may be why I'm falling-sliding off my edges (what edges?) :frus: I will drop them off with my sharpener on Friday evening.

jazzpants
11-10-2005, 05:24 PM
TashaKat... you DO NOT SUCK in skating!!! :P You're just been out of practice for a while!!! Get back on there and skate for a while. You'd be surprised how fast you'll get back to the 'ol groove!!! :mrgreen:

Bouncy: Not yet for me... my back is still bothering me. I did tentatively tried to do a couple of loop jumps but no go!!! (Already called my chiro and I'm seeing him pretty soon...)

Glad to be back working on Bronze moves again in the meanwhile! I need to get those out of the way!!!

Flat: And boy oh, boy am I in for trouble!!! I tried to do back crossovers and this time primary coach took the "take no prisoners" approach and said "Let's do pairs back crossovers" with me in order to get me to turn my torso more and get used to skating faster in the new position (which, of course, got WAAAAAY too scary for me when he tried to get me to go FASTER given my back is already crooked...)

We also dealt with getting more edges on the forward crossovers. He wants to see more curve. And of course, I also have to work on keeping the free leg straight too (per orders from secondary coach...) Should be interesting how it comes out in Dec. :roll:

Skate@Delaware
11-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Bouncy: Not yet for me... my back is still bothering me. I did tentatively tried to do a couple of loop jumps but no go!!! (Already called my chiro and I'm seeing him pretty soon...)

Glad to be back working on Bronze moves again in the meanwhile! I need to get those out of the way!!!

Flat: And boy oh, boy am I in for trouble!!! I tried to do back crossovers and this time primary coach took the "take no prisoners" approach and said "Let's do pairs back crossovers" with me in order to get me to turn my torso more and get used to skating faster in the new position (which, of course, got WAAAAAY too scary for me when he tried to get me to go FASTER given my back is already crooked...)

We also dealt with getting more edges on the forward crossovers. He wants to see more curve. And of course, I also have to work on keeping the free leg straight too (per orders from secondary coach...) Should be interesting how it comes out in Dec. :roll:
Ask your chiro for some stretches and some exercises you can do for your back to help with flexibility-maybe he/she can give you some that will help without hurting your back worse. Good luck-hopefully you'll get fixed back to right again!

Sounds like we are on the same page as far as keeping that leg straight (and I forget to point my toe)...my left leg is worse (CW is my bad side). :frus:

I'm still too scratchy on my back crossovers....although they are better, but I'm not happy with them :cry:

slusher
11-10-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm testing my Gold MIF tomorrow so I cetainly HOPE that stop isn't expected! 8O

The RFO T-stop foot in front is part of Canadian Junior Bronze/Senior Bronze skills. Good luck on your MIF.

TashaKat
11-11-2005, 01:04 AM
I doubt it; I'm sure you will be better than most..... Are you in London for long, any chance we'll get to see you?

Hi Annabel, how are you doing? I work in London now, live in Yorkshire, horse in Derbyshire!!!

I need to find my skates out and would LOVE to try and get back into skating. I've got into the 'get up, Starbucks, work, Starbucks, DVD, sleep' rut at the moment, interspersed with Pole Dancing on a Tuesday evening. I NEED to get out of that rut! Most weeks I am working (now) Wednesday to Friday but they sometimes add a day (or two). Are you still at Streatham and do you still go up to AP occasionally? I MUST catch up :D

Thin-Ice
11-11-2005, 03:05 AM

But at least NO ONE would DARE get in your way when you're doing pairs back crossovers with him!!! I'll bet everyone else just moved towards the walls! :twisted: 8O

sk8pics
11-11-2005, 05:59 AM
I tried to do back crossovers and this time primary coach took the "take no prisoners" approach and said "Let's do pairs back crossovers" with me in order to get me to turn my torso more and get used to skating faster in the new position (which, of course, got WAAAAAY too scary for me when he tried to get me to go FASTER given my back is already crooked...)

I love skating pairs back crossovers with my primary coach! We haven't done them in a while but the last time we did, he told me I was pushing him along rather than him dragging me, LOL! So that was good, but I agree, it can be scary until you get used to it. My other two coaches also sometimes skate pairs crossovers with me, and although it's fun they're scary, too, especially since they have this crazy idea that I should be better in my tracking! :roll: So, in some ways, they make me work harder, but that's okay!

Mrs Redboots
11-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Are you still at Streatham and do you still go up to AP occasionally? I MUST catch up :DYes, and yes! And, as I've posted elsewhere, I expect you to be at Streatham by 7:00 pm on Thursdays for dance club - and Tuesdays, for Figure Club, if you like, too. We still go to AP on 1st Wednesday of each month for the class with K & D and then social dancing; great fun.

As for us this morning - Bouncy: We think we have a start for our new free dance already - we certainly have a spin for it! This change-foot spin we are doing is actually so easy, it's miraculous! Famous last words..... Husband did a bit of skating around to his music, to see what he wants to put in; I'll have to help him choreograph it at Figure Club one of these Tuesdays.

Flat: We overslept so didn't have as long on the ice together as I should have liked. And I seem to have joined the "back playing up" club, too.

And I couldn't find my contact lens fluid, so bought some more on the way home, only to find it was sitting on the bathroom shelf where it lives, large as life.... duh.... think I'm going senile!

But I still had a good skate!

TashaKat
11-11-2005, 09:15 AM
LOL, I need to get my 'ice legs' back first but it's certainly worth considering!

BOUNCY

Am going to the 75th Anniversary Gala at Queens this evening :) I'll see some of my old coaches and hopefully get all mushy about skating again :)

I'll let you know how it goes.

x

Mrs Redboots
11-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Oh, I'd forgotten about that gala at Queens - I did, vaguely, know about it. Hope it was good.

I forgot one of the best things about this morning's practice, which was a mini-breakthrough on the Fiesta - if I make sure to keep my free leg up as I step into the second edge of the Mohawk, instead of letting it fly all over the place (probably it isn't tucked in behind as it should be, but hey....), I actually get some oomph into the next two pushes! And if I can do that reliably, especially when skating with the Husband (we must try, next time we skate), that level 4 Silver compulsory dance test isn't as far off as I thought!

mikawendy
11-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Bouncy--
Worked on loop-loop in lesson, after I was good and warmed up. It's coming along nicely, though loop on its own is still nicer right now.

Also worked on flip-toe (though I was barely ekeing out flips--most were underrotated)

Sit spin decided to reappear (only a few days late, lol!)

Flat--
Having trouble straightening the skating leg fully in camel spin.

NickiT
11-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Bouncy
I had my first "long" session since July today! In other words I skated an hour's patch followed by a two hour session. I also joined in my first jumps class since July too. It's nice to be finally getting back into the swing of it, but I hope I never break anything again. It's been weeks and weeks and I still feel very out of the loop and lacking in confidence.

Anyway on the whole my confidence is returning and I landed all jumps up to flip. I was very tempted to do a loop-loop but I didn't want to push my luck. After all I'm not (according to the doctors) meant to even be back on the ice yet! I managed to do my step sequence including the dreaded tap-toes which I missed out last week. I also did some fairly decent camel spins and camel-sit combos.

Flat
I feel soooooo unfit! Also I can't quite imagine ever doing my programme again or landing a lutz, let alone a lutz-loop but I guess that'll come back in good time.

A public session skater had a nasty fall today and had to go off in an ambulance. It's always unnerving seeing that, but never more so than when you are getting over a nasty injury yourself!

Nicki

TashaKat
11-11-2005, 04:52 PM
BOUNCY

It was great, everyone was very good from the tiny tots to my old Dance Coach to the people from HOT ICE!!!!!!

I'm going to dig out my skates and start doing the Wednesday evening 'adult' classes and see how it goes from there. I was listening to music and I could 'feel' myself skating again ... I could even 'feel' the loop! Bet I'm like Bambi on Wednesday though :oops:

FLAT

I got very upset, I loved skating, I loved my coaches and then it all went 'kaboom' for us all in very different ways. The last few years have been difficult for us all but HOPEFULLY we're coming out the other end now. It can't get back to how it was then but I HAVE to skate, I know that now. I had to fight back the tears several times this evening. Seeing my old rink and seeing lots of old friends has really opened up a wound that I never realised was still there.

Oh, and I got a sharp reminder of the horror that is 'Skate Moms' 8O and these were only 'Novice Skate Moms' ... that's one thing that I DON'T miss about skating!!!!

Moto Guzzi
11-11-2005, 07:16 PM
BOUNCY
I'm going to dig out my skates and start doing the Wednesday evening 'adult' classes and see how it goes from there. I was listening to music and I could 'feel' myself skating again ... I could even 'feel' the loop! Bet I'm like Bambi on Wednesday though :oops:

I'm so glad to hear that you're going to start skating again. I always enjoyed reading your reports about your practice sessions. It was always obvious how much you loved skating, and it's good news that you are going back. :bow:

pennybeagle
11-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks again everyone for the congrats. I've been working on the gold moves for almost 2 and a half years (I passed the silver moves in the summer of 2003 and the silver free in the fall of 2004). Most of that time was spent running into the boards doing that novice pattern (which...heh... I guess I "get" to work on again--better get out the butt and knee pads)

Bouncy:
Spins are going well. I'm working on some cool layover positions in the sit, and I actually managed to get my free leg to my head on a catchfoot layback. My back didn't like it that much the next day, so I won't be doing it that often, but I'm happy to know that I CAN do it.

Ten Fox went reasonably well in my lesson--I got through six patterns (three solo, three partnered) without scraping that silly 3-turn once! That's an accomplishment for this 3-turn impaired skater!

Flat:
So, just for fun, my coach started showing me some of the OTHER novice moves....oh, like that rocker choctaw (not the quick end pattern). Wow. Talk about a humbling experience. I didn't expect to get this right away, mind you, but I didn't expect to be QUITE so bad at them. Especially the clockwise ones. Ugh. It was ugly.

jazzpants
11-12-2005, 12:32 AM
But at least NO ONE would DARE get in your way when you're doing pairs back crossovers with him!!! I'll bet everyone else just moved towards the walls! :twisted: 8OAll but the little pre-schoolers, who don't have a CLUE that when someone comes towards you fast that you should go AWAY from them, NOT go TOWARDS them!!! :evil: 8O

I love skating pairs back crossovers with my primary coach! We haven't done them in a while but the last time we did, he told me I was pushing him along rather than him dragging me, LOL! So that was good, but I agree, it can be scary until you get used to it. My other two coaches also sometimes skate pairs crossovers with me, and although it's fun they're scary, too, especially since they have this crazy idea that I should be better in my tracking! :roll: So, in some ways, they make me work harder, but that's okay!Well, your primary coach is a very qualified pairs coach!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :P (Okay, my primary coach has skated pairs for a few years too but compare to your primary coach...:bow: )

Okay, there is a Bouncy out of it, the back crossovers did improved, but I had to do them slower first to get used to it.

Skate@Delaware
11-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Flat: Well, on warmup for lessons last night, doing crossovers I managed to catch my toepick and dive on the ice. Not just once, but twice (once in each direction)! So my knees and elbows are a bit bruised this morning (and sore). So, the woman who rarely falls has managed 5 in less than 30 days :oops:
So, what was heard was: T H U D!! and someone (I think I know who) saying "T O E P I C K!" yeah, there's one in every crowd!

Bouncy: So in lessons (group) we worked on edges, and while everyone else was doing singles, coach showed me how I can "pair" with hubby on his-sort of a warm up for dance/pair skating!!! Once he learned he couldn't LEAN on me (I dropped my arms), he caught on. Then we did Power-3's which were cool, and this Mohawk thing....right mohawk, cross-over, left mohawk, cross-over-which I totally destroyed and it sucked...... :frus:

On another note: I just picked up 3 more costumes to make....my others are zinging right along. It's easy it you do production-line sewing, eat chocolate and tell your kids to get lost! Actually, when I'm in the basement sewing, I have no idea what they are doing upstairs! Maybe it's better that way... 8O

Oh, yeah, I also have been working on the EVIL BUNNY HOPS :twisted: !!! I will NOT let them defeat me! I have vowed to spend at least one time per week working on them..... :oops:

sk8pics
11-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Well, your primary coach is a very qualified pairs coach!!! LOL!!! :twisted: :P (Okay, my primary coach has skated pairs for a few years too but compare to your primary coach...:bow: )

LOL, actually all my coaches are former pairs skaters, and I love that about them all because they are really well suited for saving me if necessary! And it's been necessary a couple of times! :bow: You know, if you come to the East coast and stop by here, you might be able to get a lesson! He's picked up several part-time adult students who come into town periodically to work with him.

Tessie
11-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Flat - Waltz & toe loop - just couldn't get off the ice. Waltz jump: I think I was over preparing, if there is such a thing. Arms too far back. Toe loop: Perhaps toe hop. Learning the loop jump...I need to unlearn my shoulder position for back outside edges in order to prepare, :giveup: :frus:

Bouncy - Scratch spin improved free foot position, Waltz jump came back during post lesson free style session. :P

jazzpants
11-12-2005, 11:41 AM
You know, if you come to the East coast and stop by here, you might be able to get a lesson! He's picked up several part-time adult students who come into town periodically to work with him.So SOOOO tempted!!! But it's quite a bit of a drive from NYC! 8O

sk8pics
11-12-2005, 02:55 PM
So SOOOO tempted!!! But it's quite a bit of a drive from NYC! 8O

Not compared to how far it would be from California! :lol: :lol: Actually, it's around 2 1/2 hours from NYC.

Mrs Redboots
11-13-2005, 08:17 AM
It still feels odd not having a lesson, especially as Husband still has his. And his coach is now free at 08:00, so, as neither coaches nor we are in next Sunday, he's booked a 30-minute lesson for in a fortnight! And as the competition season approaches, we'll probably bag that time with her, as long as she doesn't fill it (if she does, it's not important), as it's good to get a "second opinion" on some of our dances.

Husband was working mostly on his spin - we all know (including him) what he is doing wrong, but trying to put it right is proving next to impossible! It's better than mine, though and, sadly, it is just the two of us in the baby competition on Tuesday, so he'll get gold & I'll get silver (unless he falls on his you-know-where).

Together, we worked on our new spin - two disasters, and then it worked again! My sinuses are a bit iffy, though, so I'm getting well dizzy trying it. We also worked on various exercises, and on our new lift, and on the dismount for our old lift. It didn't have a dismount before, as it came right at the end of the dance - it still might do just that, we'll have to see.

Flat: His knee started playing up after a couple of cherry flips - and he has to survive a whole programme soon. My back was playing up all morning, and is still a bit stiff. Tried to do a Fiesta together, but with singular lack of success.... better than sometimes, but not as good as it needs to be.

Debbie S
11-13-2005, 12:11 PM
So SOOOO tempted!!! But it's quite a bit of a drive from NYC! 8O

But jazzpants, if you come to New Year's, you could have a lesson with sk8pics's coach at the comp (at one of the practice sessions or other sessions at the rink). He'll be there! (right, sk8pics?)

:D ;)

Terri C
11-13-2005, 12:19 PM
But jazzpants, if you come to New Year's, you could have a lesson with sk8pics's coach at the comp (at one of the practice sessions or other sessions at the rink). He'll be there! (right, sk8pics?)

:D ;)

Yes, yes, Jazzpants needs to come to NYI!!! I'll even send her the announcement and entry form! :D :mrgreen:

sk8pics
11-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Not sure, Debbie. I hope so, but it hasn't been decided yet. We did talk about the competition itself and how it's really not all that far away 8O which means we have to get moving on finishing my interpretive program, which we worked on very diligently today. It's hard, though! 8O 8O He seems to think that's a good thing, LOL! Anyway, I hope he comes to the competition, and there are at least 3 of his students going, so hopefully he will go!

jenlyon60
11-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Yes, yes, Jazzpants needs to come to NYI!!! I'll even send her the announcement and entry form! :D :mrgreen:

And I can find her a free place to stay that's close to the rink.

jazzpants
11-13-2005, 01:33 PM
And I can find her a free place to stay that's close to the rink.And hopefully NOT under the Zamboni either, right? LOL!!!!

Yup! The campaign has gone public...:roll: (For those who don't know, Terri C and Debbie S has been on a campaign since Peach to get me to go to NYI...)

I gotta hear this... where is there a free place for me to stay while I'm there. (PM me if you don't wanna post here...)

Skate@Delaware
11-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Flat: spins were off for the most part today....maybe it was my sinuses (which are still somewhat congested, although my cold is almost gone; except for that and some cough)...and my skates are now sharp-so I have edges!

Bouncy: Waltz jumps were good! I worked on getting some height and some distance. I still felt a bit tired but think I did ok with them. Salchow was better and I did remember to check over my shoulder which did help on the landing. Not sure if I did remember to push up and get some height.

Worked on pair moves with hubby. We did edges-me backward and him forwards...I see a death spiral soon (bwah, ha-ha!!!) 8O Then we did side-by-side stroking and it was fun!!!!!

Tried to work on my loop jump but after a few pathetic attempts, I gave up. I was too tired. I will work on my jumps on Tuesday. One hour just isn't enough time to squeeze all this stuff in (esp. when you're tired) :cry:

TashaKat
11-14-2005, 01:12 AM
BOUNCY

Work and life permitting I'm going for my first adult group lesson on Wednesday 8O I have my skates, I have my leggings, I have my tights, I have my leo .... all I need now is my confidence :)