View Full Version : Adult Skating and Code of Points

Hannahclear
11-06-2005, 07:07 AM
I heard from my coach that adult events were going to adopt the code of points as well. Is this true? When will the code be adopted? Where can I find values for single lutzes etc?

Joan
11-06-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure any adult events will be judged this way in the US this year, but the system will be phased in by using the system on championship events first.

techskater
11-06-2005, 08:43 AM
The point values for all jumps can be found on the ISU website.

IJS may not be affecting us yet in terms of getting judged under that system at AN's but you can bet the judges will be *thinking* IJS (even if subconciously) when they watch any level of skating. IJS isused at O'dorf, BTW

jp1andOnly
11-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Canada was going to impliment COP with adults this year, but its pushed back until next year. We got a table that had all the point values. I'm sure you'll be getting one eventually. It might be slightly different than ours however, but for us a single lutz is worth 0.6

Hannahclear
11-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Does anyone have the ISU link for point values? I looked at the ISU site, but could not find the actual link to the table defining values.

I did read about the results of an ISU Adult Event in France that used the CoP. The winning bronze skate was 18 points, the last place finisher got about 14 I think. I guess that gives one an idea of the range.

sceptique
11-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Does anyone have the ISU link for point values? I looked at the ISU site, but could not find the actual link to the table defining values.

Here (http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-160824-178039-80283-0-file,00.pdf). Page 29.

daisies
11-06-2005, 05:16 PM
There has been no decision as to when adult skating in the U.S. will adopt CoP. The idea of adopting it first for Championship was just that -- an idea -- but nothing is set in stone.

miss cleo
11-06-2005, 06:30 PM
I believe it was posted on the USFS web site that COP would be in effect for Adult Nationals beginning in 2007. I suppose most judges are well on their way to gearing themselves up to the new system since it just a matter of time until everyone is playing with the same scorecard.

pennybeagle
11-06-2005, 07:24 PM
I believe it was posted on the USFS web site that COP would be in effect for Adult Nationals beginning in 2007. I suppose most judges are well on their way to gearing themselves up to the new system since it just a matter of time until everyone is playing with the same scorecard.

I just spoke with a judge recently about this, and from my understanding, the jury is still out on this one. I've heard that there has been talk about implementing CoP for championship or masters events only. Again, this is just a rumor.

Apparently, there is also talk of NOT implementing the CoP system for levels below novice on the "standard track." If this is the case, then I'd imagine that only gold level judges would be required to be fluent in both judging systems (CoP and 6.0). Since many adult events do not require gold level judges, a decision by USFS to not implement CoP for their "junior national" events (the levels through intermediate) could affect the decision to use CoP for adult events.

Again, all of this is unsubstantiated. I do recall reading somewhere either on the USFS website or in Skating magazine about using CoP at adult nationals in 2007, but I think the wording was quite vague about the extent to which CoP would be utilized.

doubletoe
11-06-2005, 07:43 PM

When I contacted USFS a few months ago and asked that very question, I was told Adult Nationals 2007 would be the first U.S. CoP competition for the adults. But who knows, maybe that plan has changed. Also, there was no mention of whether it would be used for all of AN, or just the Championship events. . .

doubletoe
11-06-2005, 07:44 PM
I forgot to add, there are lists of point values and other judging criteria on www.usfsa.com. Click on "New Judging System" at the top of the page and look for the Technical Documents for Singles Skaters.

techskater
11-06-2005, 08:37 PM
AN's is judged by NATIONAL LEVEL judges which means they have IJS on their mind at AN's.

IJS is a cost increaser for the LOC, so that may delay the implementation of IJS at the adult levels

Mrs Redboots
11-07-2005, 04:21 AM
NISA has no plans to introduce it for adults here in the UK. Alas.....

It worked so well in Oberstdorf. Even those skaters who only got 3.4 or something overall still learnt a great deal of what the judges were thinking (something we'd all very much like to know, sometimes!!!!!). And learnt what works and what doesn't work. Everyone I know who's been judged under it (including my own husband) has loved it, and felt they've learnt enormously from it.

I, personally, hope that it is implemented for adults soon, but I can understand why it won't be.....

doubletoe
11-07-2005, 01:28 PM
AN's is judged by NATIONAL LEVEL judges which means they have IJS on their mind at AN's.

IJS is a cost increaser for the LOC, so that may delay the implementation of IJS at the adult levels

It will be interesting to see how judges' 6.0 judging is affected by their CoP training. Judges' role under CoP is mainly to evaluate Grade of Execution of each element, as well as the quality of Program Components (basically the artistic/presentation mark). They do not even need to KNOW how many points each element is worth (that's the job of the technical expert). In other words, they only judge the quality of each lutz and each axel; they do not make any judgment as to whether the axel is worth more than the lutz. So my guess is that the effect of CoP on judges will be an increased focus on connecting moves and quality of execution of the elements, rather than the difficulty level of the various elements the skaters execute. Just my theory, though.

manleywoman
11-07-2005, 02:00 PM
My new program was designed for COP since it's going to be used through ANs 2007 and at Oberstdorf. I decided just to leave it as is for 6.0, since all the jumps aare there, the spins, spirals and footwork are ll good. I think it would still score well under 6.0, and I don't have the added pressure of having to do a million changes in my combo spin or layback to up the levels.

jazzpants
11-07-2005, 02:13 PM
We had IJS for Skate San Francisco (but not for adults.) In any case, I was running during the events where they had IJS and the judges AND the accountants all agreed that it was a royal pain! We had to have enough runners for those events b/c they're doing scoring for EACH skater... and the accountants have to do the same too!!! It really takes a LOOOONG time to siphon thru all those marks... and just for one skater too!!! (Most of those events has about 6-7 skaters.) 8O :giveup:

I'm looking at the ISU website and looking at the Oberstorf scores for the lower level skaters now to see how my scores would have come out had I skated there...

daisies
11-07-2005, 03:49 PM

Just to clarify, AN is judged by both National- and Senior-level judges.