View Full Version : Disney On Ice?

sskates
11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Hey everyone, I'm coming out of long time lurk mode to ask some advice, as I've been reading some of your posts for awhile, and there seems to be a vast array of knowledge on here.
I am giving serious consideration to trying out for Disney on Ice. I'm 23, just finished college, a Junior level skater, and I am really thinking I'd like to go for it, though I know odds of making it are probably pretty slim. I looked online and they gave an address to send a resume. Now, for my first question, what exactly does a resume for a job like this entail? I've filled out plenty for other jobs, but I don't know what they are looking for in a skating resume. There were absolutely no guidelines, except to include a picture. Do you think they would want a tape as well? All skating and other job history? Any ideas would be helpful.
Secondly, I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried out for/toured with Disney on Ice or if you know anyone who has done either of those things. I really want to know more about it, but I only have one friend who did it five or six years ago, and I want more knowledge about it before I jump in heads first. I'd just like to know how the entire process works.

Thanks in advance! :)

dbny
11-04-2005, 06:36 PM
I know there have been questions and answers on this topic before, but did a search and didn't turn up any threads. I know a coach who skated with Disney on Ice for twelve years, and took part in the audition process. She said it is good to have something special that you can do, to help make yourself memorable. I also know that you need to be able to demonstrate all stops on both feet.

mdvask8r
11-04-2005, 07:14 PM
I'll echo what dbny has said.
My coach skated w/ Ice Capades & Holiday On Ice. Yes, complete comfort with ALL stops is very important. List any music training and special non-skating skills you may have. My coach was not only skilled in all skating disciplines, but also could do gymnastics, dance, twirl batons & fire sticks, juggle, and skate on stilts, etc. Have you done any synchronized skating -- very valuable to a show skater.
Good luck to you!

Blosmbubbs
11-04-2005, 09:57 PM
I auditioned quite a few years ago. The show was in town and my friend and I talked to Judy Thomas the artistic director. We were able to audition after the show. They had us to edges, stops, spirals, etc. It was a good expericence and I would highly recommend it even if you have doubts about making it just go and audition.

Chico
11-04-2005, 10:15 PM
I had a friend try out for Disney On Ice. She seemed to think they were looking for very proper young people. Looks as well as behavior. No purple hair or pierced noses I'm guessing. =-) As for behavior, I'm sure knowing that it's Disney gives you an idea. They wanted to see what tests she had taken as well as see her skate. Resumes should always present your positives. Remember this is Disney and what they represent when you do. She didn't feel she was "dressed" nice enough when she presented her program. She said they wanted to see her body but she could have looked "nicer". Folks were dressed NICE just walking in the door at the rink. New sweats and such. Hope I didn't scare you! Good luck and try.

Chico

samba
11-05-2005, 12:24 AM
I had a friend try out for Disney On Ice. She seemed to think they were looking for very proper young people. Looks as well as behavior. No purple hair or pierced noses I'm guessing. =-) As for behavior, I'm sure knowing that it's Disney gives you an idea. They wanted to see what tests she had taken as well as see her skate. Resumes should always present your positives. Remember this is Disney and what they represent when you do. She didn't feel she was "dressed" nice enough when she presented her program. She said they wanted to see her body but she could have looked "nicer". Folks were dressed NICE just walking in the door at the rink. New sweats and such. Hope I didn't scare you! Good luck and try.

Chico
I dont know about Disney but my son has done a couple of shows one in the UK and one abroad, I attended one of these auditions and found that it wasnt always the best skaters that got in. Much of what everyone else said seems to be the same over here, the way you present yourself before even getting on the ice, no out-landish hair or make-up, and unfortunately looks really do matter so sort the things that nerves wont dictate and as Chico has said it will also give both you and the interviewer/audtioner confidence in you.

As mentioned earlier they wanted to see any special tricks you can do. Your resume would probably want to know what you do outside of skating as in any other job to see if you can relate well to people and yes a good photo preferably in competition clothes.

Dont forget you are also looking at them, ask questions, check out the accomodation arrangements if there are any, if not ensure you will have enough money to get decent accomodation, dont get caught up in the exitement and just snap it up no-matter what, some shows are not always right for everyone.

Best of luck
Grace

jp1andOnly
11-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Resume should list your testing and competition credentials. You need to include a head shot and a full body shot. They usually like a video tape of you doing some jumps, spins, footwork.

The actual audition is a lot of turns, stops, footwork. They also want to see personality. My brother had to act like a monkey...he loved that one.

As for touring....

Most new skaters start on the local US tours. Getting to go overseas is usually saved for those who have more experience. European tour is nice but very expensive. The Asian tour is also costly but you are treated well there

The US tour usually travels by bus..so if the thought of sitting in a bus for 8-12 hours makes you want to puke, thats what happens.

Skaters usually have 3 shows a day..sometimes 2.

New skaters usually join the chorus to start with. If you want a principal role or understudy, they have days on the tour where they will watch you and you basically audition for them on tour.

Money is not that good. Don't expect to make that much..its more for the experience. Some skaters pick up extra money doing odd jobs helping on the tour like taking down set, costuming, etc. You are expected to pay part of your hotel costs as well as your food. If you have 3 shows in one day they pay for a meal. Hotels work out to be something like 10 dollars a day.

There is lots of partying of course. There are also lots of conflicts between skaters because of all the time you have to spend with eachother. Of course, personality conflicts will happen. Think about how you would handle living in a room with 2-4 people, sitting on a bus, sharing basically everything for a whole year in very tight quarters.

If you want more info, PM me..my brother is on tour and I can ask him a few things

stardust skies
11-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Jp1andonly gave a really good overview. The only thing I'd add is that you shouldn't expect to actually SKATE that much. Most people, especially starting out, will do character work (how much depends on the show). This means the extent of your performance is skating around in a big costume (sometimes even with a big plastic head). This isn't really the place you wanna go if you expect to have these amazing skating parts, unless you've got all your doubles and great spins, in which case they MIGHT consider you for a lead, but even then you'll most likely have to wait a while and pay your dues.

And I'll echo JP by saying you shouldn't expect to make money off of this. This information is what I've gathered from knowing a couple of people on their tours. Also, I think their biggest complaint is that they don't get enough practice ice, and that they've lost most of their jumping skills as a result. I saw a friend 6 months before touring with Disney and 6 months after, and the number of jumps she couldn't do anymore was pretty shocking.

sskates
11-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Thank you for all your insight, everyone. Your advice has been incredibly helpful. I am still kind of up in the air as to whether I want to do this or not, but I figure I should just go for the try-out and make the decision afterward, if a decision even needs to be made.

As for my motivation, I love skating and performing, and this has always been something that sounded fun and interesting to me, and it seems like a good time in my life to go for it, since I don't have a 'real' (re: pertaining to what I majored in) job yet, and no real ties to any particular one place. I'm not in it for the money, that's for sure, but I absolutely love to travel.

As for my skating, I am a Junior level skater in the most literal sense of the term, as in, I can do what is needed to pass the Junior level USFSA freeskate test, and the senior test, as well. I have all doubles except for axel. They are consistent and technically correct, but nothing brilliant. I have come to terms with the fact that I will never progress jumpwise any farther than that. I'm not sure what about my skating would really make me stand out. I like to spin, and my spins are probably my strongest elements, and I love spread eagles and bauers and fun stuff like that, but I'm not sure that's really what they are looking for.
I've never done anything more than local competitions, but I have performed in iceshows, both group and solo #'s for the past fifteen years, so I definitely have background in that, though unfortunatley, no synchro on my resume. (Well, actually, that's not entirely accurate. I was in synchro for one day when I was around 9 years old, and because I was tall, they put me next to a girl much older than me. She was incredibly bossy and mean, made me cry, and I quit and never went back :lol: )

Anyway, basically, I would be thrilled with a just a background roll in the show. I'm not sure I have the jumps to be anything more. I'm still contemplating, but really appreciate all the information given. It should really help me make my decision, though I'm leaning towards just giving the try-out a go and seeing what happens. The worst they can say is 'no' and then my life will be no different than it is now, and if they happened to say yes, if could be an amazing opportunity.

Thanks again!

JulieN
11-06-2005, 01:25 AM
Kathryn Bertine wrote a book called All the Sundays Yet to Come: A Skater's Journey (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0316099015/002-5730363-4342433) which describes her experience touring with various ice shows (I don't think she toured with Disney, though). I actually didn't read the book, but I heard it's good and I did read the excerpts (http://www.kathrynbertine.com/excerpts.html) from her personal website (http://www.kathrynbertine.com/).

starskate6.0
11-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Disney on Ice
Fond memories for me. :D Ill try and keep this very short . Dave and Judy Thomas have been a main stay at Disney for a long time. My first show there was with them. However my audition ws a long time ago but the basics are the same. Attitude is every thing. ... :D
Lern to stop stop stop .....godd chorus skaters can stop on all edges in many different positions and they will ask you to do this , both feet, generaly they will pick a step sequencs from the show you audidition at and see how fast you can pick things up. Don't show up in hip huggers with your middrift exposed this is Disney not the night club.

A lot of time you jjust have to suit what there looking for at the time.
I had no test at all and was never a competition skater..I tried out for 4 years with other shows to get experience before I got in but accomplished skaters do get in first try...you are young , be sweet and realy want the job be very flexable and you will make it. show buisness is no walk in the park And you will work hard ( wait till you see Japan ) 15 shows a week.

I wish you luck, If you need more infor you can e-mail me at starsk860@yahoo.com

Ross.

Mrs Redboots
11-07-2005, 04:11 AM
Kathryn Bertine wrote a book called All the Sundays Yet to Come: A Skater's Journey (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0316099015/002-5730363-4342433) which describes her experience touring with various ice shows (I don't think she toured with Disney, though). I actually didn't read the book, but I heard it's good and I did read the excerpts (http://www.kathrynbertine.com/excerpts.html) from her personal website (http://www.kathrynbertine.com/).I've read it, and rather disliked it - a total "pity party", very "Oh poor me, touring is horrible, they treated me so badly....."

I think a year skating in a show, as long as it's not too tacky (and Disney wouldn't be) is a great idea. It might not be 100% total fun all the time, but what job is? And it would be fantastic experience.

I'd say, go for the audition, and see what happens!

Melzorina
11-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Disney on Ice
Fond memories for me. :D Ill try and keep this very short . Dave and Judy Thomas have been a main stay at Disney for a long time. My first show there was with them. However my audition ws a long time ago but the basics are the same. Attitude is every thing. ... :D
Lern to stop stop stop .....godd chorus skaters can stop on all edges in many different positions and they will ask you to do this , both feet, generaly they will pick a step sequencs from the show you audidition at and see how fast you can pick things up. Don't show up in hip huggers with your middrift exposed this is Disney not the night club.

A lot of time you jjust have to suit what there looking for at the time.
I had no test at all and was never a competition skater..I tried out for 4 years with other shows to get experience before I got in but accomplished skaters do get in first try...you are young , be sweet and realy want the job be very flexable and you will make it. show buisness is no walk in the park And you will work hard ( wait till you see Japan ) 15 shows a week.

I wish you luck, If you need more infor you can e-mail me at starsk860@yahoo.com

Ross.

Sorry if I seem to nag, but I've PM'd you a few times with no luck, as a long time ago you said you'd tell me your story, I've been DYING to hear it!!!...

SweetestThing
11-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi sskates - I skated with Disney on Ice for 1 year back in '96-'97 on the Snow White tour. I auditioned for the show when they came through my home town. There was a flyer up at the rink where I skated that said they were doing auditions one night after the show. So I went and I brought a head and full body shot photo and a resume of my skating experiences up to that point. The audition consisted mainly of footwork - I remember wiping out on a bracket sequence and thinking I totally blew it! After all that, they just asked us to do whatever freeskating we could do. I did some spins and a few jumps like axel and double salchow. If you are a junior level skater - you will have no problem getting on if they have an opening. In hind-sight, they seem more concerned with weight and appearance than your quality of skating (for chorus positions anyway). After the audition, they took our measurements and recorded our height and weight and told us all they would be in touch.

That was in December and I got a letter a couple of weeks later saying they were waiting for someone my height to leave the tour before I could be brought on. Then I didn't hear anything until March when they called me to tell me I got the spot as a chorus skater and second understudy to the Evil Queen because of my height (I am a taller skater). The tour was already in it's 3rd year (which is the Japan leg) so that's where I started. I had a month to get ready to go and it was very stressful! It's hard to plan what to bring to live out of 2 suitcases for a year! Plus, I had to just put all my stuff in storage because I was living with my room-mate and someone else was moving in to take my place while I was gone. I felt pretty displaced!

The whole expereince of being on tour was great and I'm glad I did it. But it was very hard to adjust to life on the road and in this case a whole new culture! That's why I only did it for one year. But some people really love it and had been doing it for a long time. Besides the first few weeks learning the choreography, you don't actually skate very much except for the shows themselves. Sometimes we had 3 shows a day, 3 days in a row, but for the most part, the shows were Thursday - Sunday and you had lots of time to sight-see and do other things. Traveling to each new city was on Sunday, so you usually had 3 days to do whatever you wanted which was nice. As for the show itself - I had a lot of chorus parts and quick changes. One of my changes was so fast, I had to do it right behind the curtain still on the ice! We also had to learn the lip-syncing parts in Japanese. In fact, I didn't even know what the show was all about until we got back to the states and it was in English finally! It was all very overwhelming at first, but then became so routine I could get through a whole show and not even remember doing it!

The pay was OK - I was 23 when I was on tour and the pay was good for me then! Japan was expensive, but our hotel rooms were paid for which was great. When we got back to the states and Canada we had to pay for our own hotels, so sometimes we would put 3-4 people in a room to pay the least amount! That was always interesting - 4 people and 8 huge suitcases in a double hotel room! You sure do get to know your cast and crew mates very well!

To sum up, I would say definitely give it a try. It is a lot of work and definitely a lifestyle change, but it is a lot of fun and an experience you won't ever forget! If you have any other questions about anything, just let me know!

sskates
11-07-2005, 09:36 PM
thanks for sharing your stories! The tour comes to our city this month, but that seems really really soon, and it comes again in February I think, so I have a couple of chances, and a little breathing room if I want to wait and think it over some more, though the more I hear, the more it does sound like an incredible experience.

SweetestThing-
I'm also a taller skater- 5'11 to be exact, so it's good to hear your story because I always thought my height might hamper my chances. One question, you mentioned you toured a year, and that got me thinking, do you sign on for a year at a time? I was just curious as to how it works, and I'm sure you, starskate, or someone else might be able to answer.

jp1andOnly
11-07-2005, 09:43 PM
usually you sign a year contract. You get a bonus for showing up after the Christmas break and holding out until the last show. Many skaters end up leaving while others hang out for those coveted bonuses

jumpingsrimp
11-08-2005, 07:11 AM
I am going for disney on ice this year. Umm i dont have the phone number but i will try and find it.

To get into disney on ic you will have to send a tape but they will contact you firts and you will also have to write and essy. Umm i know so many people who did disney on ice as well as many other traveling shows. They say its an experiens that you have to have. The people that are still doing it say they would not give it up for the world. As far as the resuma put your training in for skating, if you did dance on or off the ice as well if you have an theater experiance that would be good as well.