View Full Version : Need movie or cartoon about skating

jebnolte
11-01-2005, 05:40 PM
I am looking for a children's movie (besides ice princess) or cartoon about figure skating. I thought my 4 year old daughter would like it. Does anyone have any that they know of?

Thanks,
Julie

dbny
11-01-2005, 07:24 PM
I don't know of any and I doubt there are any movies about ice skating that don't include some nasty falls. How about making some ice skates (white pipe cleaners bent into blades, etc.) for some of her stuffed animals. Then the two of you can play at ice skating together and she may be able to work out her fears that way. You can take turns with spins and jumps and falling. Your animal can laugh when she falls, and jump right up again.

sceptique
11-02-2005, 02:40 AM
I think there's a Disney cartoon called "Once upon a Christmas" with Minnie and Daisy skating. They used Michelle Kwan as a motion capture model.

texassk8r
11-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Years ago, I saw a wonderful cartoon called something like "you're a great skate, Charlie Brown." It features the Peanuts set of characters with Snoopy as the coach and Peppermint Patty (I think) as the student trying to get an axel. Snoopy also drives the zamboni and Woodstock provides inspiration. It was really terrific. I only saw it once, and I have no idea where, or even if, it is available. I wish I had a copy.

Figuresk8_katie
11-02-2005, 04:19 PM
The only movies I can think of are "On Edge" and "Cutting Edge". Neither are really geared toward 4 year olds. But maybe when she's a little bit older! Good luck!

nja
11-02-2005, 04:57 PM
How about 'Snowden on Ice'? This was the Christmas special starring Ekaterina Gordeeva and Scott Hamilton about a magical snowman who helps a little girl (Daria Grinkova) to love skating. Kurt Browning and Josee Chouinard were in it also. There was also a sequel, the Snowden, Raggedy Ann and Andy Holiday Show. I don't know if either of these ever made it to tape or DVD, but it may be worth checking out.

sk8ermom
11-02-2005, 08:07 PM
its a great skate charlie brown is wnderful. It was on the tv last year before christmas so it is still around. Snoopy as a grumpy coach is very funny. Mickey's twice upon a chistmas os good too, but my 6 year old was determined to skate to carol of the bells after that. Barbie's pagasus has skating in it too

dbny
11-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Sounds like I was completely wrong and that there are several good cartoons/movies about ice skating for young kids. Thanks for the info!

Elsy2
11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Ditto on the Charlie Brown movie. It's still available from Amazon for under ten bucks. Well worth it!
Snoopy Double Feature Vol. 7 (Play it Again/She's a Good Skate) (1971)

Alicia
11-03-2005, 03:11 PM
You may want to search for that on e-bay. A side benefit is that if one is available, you'll probably pick it up for peanuts!!

Tennisany1
11-03-2005, 03:24 PM
There is also an episode of Arthur (based on the books by Marc Brown) that is about figure skating. I believe Michelle Kwan does one of the voices. I've seen it on TV but I'm not sure if you can get it on video or DVD.

miraclegro
11-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Would you be interested in any books? There may be some good picture books; i work at my local library and i know there's one called "Angelina Ice Skates" and it is really cute. And the Snoopy movie is great fun!

jebnolte
11-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Thank you for all of your responses! I just ordered the She's a good skate, Charlie Brown off of MoviesUnlimited.com for $9.99. I found it on e-bay also, but I was outbid at $13. I guess this movie must be really good. We'll see if my daughter likes it :)
I am going to try and find the others that were mentioned also, they all sound good.
Thanks again,
Julie

Alicia
11-04-2005, 08:17 AM
You may want to search for that on e-bay. A side benefit is that if one is available, you'll probably pick it up for peanuts!!

No pun intended!!