View Full Version : Stiffness while skating

Mrs Redboots
08-19-2002, 06:49 AM
I thought this might deserve a thread to itself. Stormy wrote:

ELEPHANTS!!: Failed Juvenile moves. The judges said I was much too stiff on almost every element, and as a result of that the forward double threes were very shaky.

Any advice on getting rid of stiffness in general? I'm always being told by my coach to relax and loosen up. I'm not doing it purposefully, it's just how I skate!
Firstly, big commiserations on failing your Moves test! Sadly, at Juvenile level, and the UK and Canadian equivalents, they begin to want to see really good posture among other things.

All too many of us - and I include myself - skate with our shoulders in our ears rather than looking nicely relaxed and upright. It is one of the main reasons why Robert and I have such trouble dancing together, and why half the time we end up impeding, rather than enabling each other. Since we dance together, of course, we can tell each other to relax - I always know if Robert's tensed up by the way his arms are. But I don't know what the secret is for solo skating, other than working on the most basic edges and turns while focussing on being relaxed, and gradually applying it to all one's skating.

garyc254
08-19-2002, 07:56 AM
I get "stiff" during my lessons. Elements I've warmed up before the lesson suddenly disappear into some phantom zone. I'm sure it's because I'm concentrating on each detail rather than letting it happen fluidly.

It's very hard to turn your mind off when you're performing, testing, or being watched. The more you compete and test, the easier it will get.

Until then, clear your mind as much as possible, take a few deep breaths before you go on the ice, and you can always use a variation of the remedy for stage fright: Pretend the judges and spectators are only wearing their underwear.

flo
08-19-2002, 08:55 AM
When I started skating I wasn't stiff, but did skate with my shoulders "up". When it came to designing costumes my coach suggsted I have no decoration or anything on my shoulders. What helped was to think about your shoulders being slightly back, and that you have a long neck, like a giraffe. You're also wearing a beautiful necklace that you want everyone to see (and they can't when you're hunched). As far as stiffness, really try to feel the ice, and remember that you are really skating through it and in the ice, and not just on top of it. - The pressure of your weight melts the surface, so you actually create a small channel in the ice. Let everything from your toes to your nose feel you going through the ice.

dbny
08-19-2002, 09:11 AM
I've found that the right music loosens up my stiffness. I just bought a tiny MP3 player and plan to find just the right music for each move. My idea is to practice my moves to the music so much that I will be able to hear it without the MP3 player.

Elsy2
08-19-2002, 11:58 AM
My coach and I have discussed the fact that many adults often have a "tense" upper body position. She is always telling me to press the shoulders down and relax the arms a bit. This is certainly something to be aware of and try to concentrate on. Knee bend is the other issue. I swear sometimes it takes a good 15 minutes of skating to get any kneebend going at all! :roll:

skatin' mom
08-19-2002, 12:41 PM
I didn't realize how stiff I looked until one day I saw my reflection in the hockey glass--yikes! My upper body looks like I am wearing a suit of armor!

wannask8
08-19-2002, 09:54 PM
I’m either doomed because I already have the tense shoulders as an utter beginner, or lucky that my coach is already on me about it. He regularly reminds me to relax my shoulders and skate from my core. It helps that he’s frequently on the ice even when I don’t have a lesson so that every time I pass him (in his bright red jacket!) I think, “Core, core, core!” Honestly, though, like dbny, music is the cure for me; something about it allows me to loosen up and flow better (see our prior musicians thread for more on this).

-- wannask8

backspin
08-20-2002, 08:38 AM
I tell my students to imagine those tribeswomen in National Geographic; the ones w/ dozens of metal rings around their necks so their neck stretches and stretches....I've also threatened to install a few metal rings on their own necks if they don't start straightening up!! lol

Think head lifted, tall tall tall, shoulders pressed DOWN, earrings over the shoulder seams of your top. You're presenting your chest (collarbone & upper rib cage) to the audience, so everything else has to get out of the way....hard to do, I know.

Mrs Redboots
08-20-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by backspin
Think head lifted, tall tall tall, shoulders pressed DOWN, earrings over the shoulder seams of your top. You're presenting your chest (collarbone & upper rib cage) to the audience, so everything else has to get out of the way....hard to do, I know. That's what makes this sport so impossible - we are taught to pull our tummies in, heads up, shoulders down, tits up, bottom in..... and once we have done all that, we have to RELAX!!!!! Yeah, right.....;) Seriously, though, it isn't easy to get the balance between where you should be tight and where you shouldn't.

garyc254
08-20-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
That's what makes this sport so impossible - we are taught to pull our tummies in, heads up, shoulders down, tits up, bottom in..... and once we have done all that, we have to RELAX!!!!! Yeah, right.....;)

I once saw a cartoon along the same lines about golf. A pro telling a rookie: "Keep your head down, shoulders square, bend your knees, get back on your heels, keep your arms straight, use the proper hand grip, and rotate at the hips. Now, swing naturally."

kar5162
08-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
That's what makes this sport so impossible - we are taught to pull our tummies in, heads up, shoulders down, tits up, bottom in..... and once we have done all that, we have to RELAX!!!!!

So true. I am still fairly stiff, though no where near as bad as I was. A few things that I find help are:

1) Press your hands down. When your arms are extended, try to have your hands just around your waist. They will most likely float up, but if you're thinking about keeping them low, they will be less likely to go so high that your shoulders go up. If your hands are around your waist and you're pressing them down, it's very very difficult to have your shoulders up.

2) Bend your knees. More. More. Think soft, and sinking.

1+2 will help keep your weight lower - and your balance better. The better your balance, the easier you will move and the less stiff you will be.

3) Keep your stomach muscles firm. This will help your balance.

4) Breath and smile. Smiling will relax you as will breathing. Perhaps I am the only person who has this problem, but I often forget to breath. I will attempt to do entire MIF patterns without breathing (obviously not intentionally). Now we "choreograph" breathing into my moves and programs. There are specific points at which I have to breath - otherwise I am likely to forget.

5) Practice these things off ice. Maybe you feel kind of silly, but go and stand in front of a mirror and practice standing up straight with your arms nicely extended, your shoulders back, etc, and smile and breath and then go walk around. You can also practice bending your knees and moving softly from one foot to the other. If you have hardwood or kitchen floors that are not too slippery, you can put on a pair of old socks and practice crossovers and stuff...spinning and jumping is not recommended. If you bump into the corner of your stove you can get nasty bruises (personal experiece). Ok it's kind of weird, but kitchen skating is fun. I have hardwood floors now, which is fun too. :)

Kim

jazzpants
08-21-2002, 11:26 AM
My primary coach has often told me to "RELAX!!! SMILE!!!" (We were going through a program in this particular instance.) When that didn't work, he once said "Pretend you're me skating to this program!" I proceeded to act like him and skate as "flashy" as possible right down to the ending with the pose and the flashing teeth -- then collapse in total laughter!!! (That did the trick...BTW!) :lol:

Moral of the story: If you want to make fun of your coach while skating a program, pretend you're your coach!!! (Try not to crack up though in the middle of your program.)

Cheers,
jazzpants

P.S. I'm still to figure out how I can imitate Mistress Coach while skating. Hmmm???

Chico
08-21-2002, 10:16 PM
YOU TRIED. Kudos. You will show off better next time! You didn't pass the test, but you didn't fail.

My coach does "gymnastics" to get me to relax some days. This is a nerves thing.

I had a coach tell me, "T*** and smile". In non coach talk. Head up, smile, shoulders down and back. My coaches comment works for me though. Seriously, how can you not smile?!

Chico

erin_m
08-21-2002, 11:10 PM
Well, I'm not sure about being stiff while skating but I know in dancing I used to be told that I was too stiff. This year I really started to not worry about what others were doing and just concentrated on my own dancing and kept telling myself that I could do everything and not to worry and that seemed to help. Other than that, I would just say that the more you practice (and the more you test) the more confident and more relaxed you will be. Until I start skating (in the fall) this is the best advice I can give. Better luck next time! :D