View Full Version : Adult moves and test levels - USA only?

SkatingOnClouds
10-26-2005, 03:19 AM
I am intrigued by all the mentions of Moves in the Field and Adult tests.
I'd never heard of these until I stumbled in here.

As an adult restarting skating, I think it would be fun to have things like that to work towards. There wouldn't be enough adults at our rink to have competitions, but doing tests can give structure and a sense of achievement (or not, depending on how you score :oops: )

Does anyone know if this adult stuff only in the USA, or can it be done in Australia too?

If not, I wonder how we Aussie skaters could get something like that started down here.

Karen

aussieskater
10-26-2005, 04:05 AM
Sorry Karen, only in America (and maybe in UK too) - but certainly not in Oz. If we want to test, we do the Aussie standard track tests (Prelim, Elementary I then II, Primary, Novice, Junior, Senior - I think I have the order right). There are figure patterns for Prelim and the two Elementary tests, and Freestyle programs with required elements for Elementary I through to Senior. That's it.

Having read the rule book and asked my coach, the stuff below is my take on the testing regime we have here. Don't take it as gospel - ask a responsible adult before you commit to the testing process!!

If you want to test freeskating, you need the figure pattern and (if applicable) the freeskating test passed for the preceding level.

Example (1) - you want to test Elementary II freeskating. You need to have already passed the Prelim figure pattern, the Elementary I figure and the Elementary I freeskate tests. You do not need to have already passed the Elementary II figure pattern.

Example (2) - you want to try Novice. You need to have already passed the Prelim and both Elementary figure patterns; plus all the freeskating tests from Elementary I through Primary.

If you want to test figures only, you can up to Elementary II (the last figure pattern tested). Example - you have passed prelim and Elementary I figures, and want to test Elementary II figures. You can without first having to pass either Elementary I freeskating or dance.

If you want to test dance, I do know you need to have already passed the prelim figure pattern to start. Once past the first (Elementary I) dances, I don't know whether you need the preceding or corresponding figure pattern, or whether you can test the dances alone. I also don't know whether you need to pass all the dances in a level before you can test a higher level dance, but I suspect so.

Oh, for an adult-friendly testing and competing regime!!

2loop2loop
10-26-2005, 05:18 AM
No not in the UK either. We have an adult championships, but not adult tests.

John

sceptique
10-26-2005, 06:19 AM
No not in the UK either. We have an adult championships, but not adult tests.

John

Yep, that's true. We take the same tests as kids do: 10 standard test levels + 5 MIF levels: (Novice, Preliminary, Inter-Bronze, Bronze & Inter-Silver); and after standard level 6, I suppose, you can take competitive FS tests: Novice through to Senior - if you can land your doubles and triples of course! :lol:

I don't know how they get around the fact that there are so many different Adult standards in the world when it comes to international competitions like one in Oberstdorf - I've seen some test equivalency chart (I think it was in Dune of Flanders Cup pack), but it only had USA, Canada, Germany and France tests.

The good thing is that you still can test and compete as an adult, unlike, for example, in Russia where Adult skating is not even in it's infancy - it hasn't even been conceived. It's just a few adult skaters and coaches dating around, not really knowing what's the purpose of all that other than dealing with a sudden late onset of passion for skating. Which is a pity - I think, aduld competitions would get much more edge and excitement with more participation from Eastern Europe. (Well, if I ever go "back to my roots" I might get my hands on organising "The Cup of Siberia" - for those with a real taste for adventure! :lol: )

blue111moon
10-26-2005, 07:52 AM
The Obertsdorf competition had no test level requirements in the announcement, only descriptions of the elements required in programs for each level. The organizers trusted that people would enter the level appropriate to their ability - and for the most part people did.

Mrs Redboots
10-26-2005, 08:30 AM
In the UK, we tend not to have minimum levels, only maximum, except in pairs skating where a minimum standard has been imposed for Open competition and means that very few adult pairs can compete in Opens any more.

But normally, you can enter whatever category you feel able to be competitive in - we don't plan to test above Level 4 Silver in any discipline just yet, as we don't want to test ourselves out of the Elementary class (level 4 and under) just yet. We plan to compete at Elementary for at least another year, and probably two - but there's nothing to stop us entering the Masters class, other than our wish not to look foolish! Which we would. Come to that, we'd look foolish at Intermediate at the moment.....

Incidentally, Sceptique, I hear that there were several Russian adult skaters at the Vana Tallinn trophy last year who have been inspired, and a Russian adult competition may well be in the offing, their federation permitting. Haven't heard if one is happening, but I do know there's talk!