View Full Version : Questions about "moving up" to Adult skating

pinkdblonde
10-24-2005, 01:26 PM
How does this work? I have tested some standard MIF and Freestyle tests. Now if I want to compete Adult level, should I just continue testing the standard tests? Or should I move over to the Adult tests? And If I move over to the Adult tests do I have to start at the very bottom? If not which level would I start at based on the last test passed? ANy help would be appreciated :-)

skaternum
10-24-2005, 02:06 PM
In a nutshell, here are the general principles:
(This assumes you haven't tested intermediate or above.)

1. Your standard track tests determine the minimum level at which you may compete as an adult. The rationale is that it isn't fair, for example, for someone who passed Juvenile freeskating to compete in a Bronze event. The easiest place to get this info is off the Adult Nationals competition announcement. It's in the rulebook, of course.

2. You must still take the appropriate adult test. Thanks to a motion passed at Governing Council last year, there is now crossover allowed from standard track to adult track. The info on crossing over is here, item 7 (http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/05Adults-ROA.pdf) .

3. You may still continue to take standard track tests, in addition to the adult tests, but (a) once you pass Intermediate Freeskating, you must compete in the masters category, rather than adult and (b) it impacts item 1 above (obviously, if your standard track test level goes up, you'll be required to compete at a higher adult level, meaning you have to take the appropriate adult test).

Welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of adult skating. The rules are a confusing mish-mash, but if you want help with the specifics of your situation, you can describe your specifics & ask here, or e-mail the Adult Skating Committee vice-chair for your section.

skaternum
10-24-2005, 02:08 PM
By the way, I now have the theme song from 'The Jeffersons' going through my head. :oops: "Well we're moving on up ..."

Joan
10-24-2005, 03:57 PM
By the way, I now have the theme song from 'The Jeffersons' going through my head. :oops: "Well we're moving on up ..."

Great...now I'm hearing it too!

Raye
10-24-2005, 04:40 PM
:roll: Same here....

jazzpants
10-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Well we're movin' on up.... to the East side.... in a deluxe apartment in the SKY... :twisted:

Terri C
10-24-2005, 06:14 PM
And Jazz and I are DESPERATELY trying to "movin on up " to the AN qualifying level of Bronze!! :P

pinkdblonde
10-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Well lets see. Since I'm so terrified of testing, I've only passed up to my preliminary FS and MIF. But I have an axel and double sal, double toe, double loop and I'm working on others. What do you think is a good level for me to make my "Adult Debut" at? My next goal for skating is to make it to Adult Nationals and eventually be Adult National champion. :-) I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for all your help!

singerskates
10-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Well lets see. Since I'm so terrified of testing, I've only passed up to my preliminary FS and MIF. But I have an axel and double sal, double toe, double loop and I'm working on others. What do you think is a good level for me to make my "Adult Debut" at? My next goal for skating is to make it to Adult Nationals and eventually be Adult National champion. :-) I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for all your help!

Take the Adult Silver and Adult Gold tests if you want to be able to use your axel and doubles in competition because in Adult Bronze you're not allowed to do an axel or any doubles or triples. You've got work ahead of you to catch up on your spins and MIF.

If you were in Canada, you'd be taking the same tests as the kids but now Adult Canadians is more like US Adult Nationals with jump restrictions which we never use to have. There are no Adult tests in Canada. Canadian Prelim is Canadian Prelim whether you are an adult skater or kid skater.

Brigitte

pinkdblonde
10-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Well I am a way better spinner than jumper, so I'm not worried about spins. And I learned the entire PJuv MIF test and have been practicing that for about a year, so should I go ahead and test that? Or scratch it and take Adult Silver?

pennybeagle
10-24-2005, 11:45 PM
According to my understanding of the rules (and someone correct me if I am wrong)...

If you passed the Prelim MIF and FS and you want to compete at the Adult Silver level (axels allowed but no doubles, 2:10 max) at nationals, you need to pass the following tests:

Adult Bronze MIF (or Pre-Juv MIF)
Adult Bronze FS
Adult Silver MIF (or Juvenile MIF)
Adult Silver FS

If you want to compete at the Adult Gold level (axels and doubles allowed, 2:40 max) at nationals, you must also pass:

Adult Gold MIF (or Intermediate MIF)
Adult Gold FS

You don't have to take them in that order. You can take all the moves tests first, and then do the freestyles. If you pass the Bronze FS, you can "compete up" at the Silver level provided that the competition is not sectionals or nationals. I personally wouldn't bother taking both standard and adult track moves tests. It's a waste of money, since many of the moves are duplicated. Make sure you have a new rule book, as many of the moves have changed.

I am assuming you are going to be in age group I (21-28). I would highly recommend going to see an adult competition (that is, a competition specifically FOR adult skaters and not a general competition with a few adult events) and compete or at least watch the Silver I skaters. This will allow you to get a better sense of the differences in the competitive levels. What region do you live in?

And since you're looking ahead towards big competitions like nationals...keep in mind that apart from jumps and spins, many upper-level competitive silver skaters also have their gold and intermediate moves already and some are working on (or have passed) their novice or junior MIF tests. Others (well, sometimes, the same people) have extensive dance experience as well. Programs that win at the silver and gold I level generally have great speed, great choreography, interesting and intricate movements, and tons of power/flow/extension/expression. That's just been my observation.

Welcome to the adult skating world!!! I never thought I'd have this much fun skating.

Debbie S
10-24-2005, 11:57 PM
Well I am a way better spinner than jumper, so I'm not worried about spins. And I learned the entire PJuv MIF test and have been practicing that for about a year, so should I go ahead and test that? Or scratch it and take Adult Silver?
Take a look at the crossover rules at the link skaternum provided (or have you already done that?). You will need to take Pre-Juv MIF to be eligible to take Bronze FS, since you have passed Prelim FS (but if you don't take Pre-Juv, you'd have to take Bronze MIF). Then, you can take Adult Silver MIF to be eligible to take Silver FS and then the Gold level tests.

As someone who aspires to compete in Bronze, I would say that based on the skill level you have described, it would be best for you to compete at the Gold level (please, everyone, don't jump down my throat). If you've got a consistent axel and 2 or 3 doubles, and are an even better spinner, it makes sense to compete against other skaters at your level. While you could certainly compete in Bronze or Silver b/c of your testing level and probably win easily (at least Bronze), it's really not fair to the other skaters who are competing at the test level that their skills dictate.

With your repertoire, it's very possible that you could qualify for Championship Gold at AN, a prestigious event. And isn't it more rewarding to compete against other skaters who are at your skill level and not several levels below?

pinkdblonde
10-25-2005, 12:10 AM
And isn't it more rewarding to compete against other skaters who are at your skill level and not several levels below?

Totally agree with you on that one :-)

And thanks for all the feedback everyone! I am in the Pac. Coast region. I think I am going to opt. out of Adult Sectionals and Nationals this year because of school conflicts (1) and focusing on testing (2) So hopefully I will see all of you guys around! Thanks so much :-)

skaternum
10-25-2005, 05:51 AM
Well lets see. Since I'm so terrified of testing, I've only passed up to my preliminary FS and MIF. But I have an axel and double sal, double toe, double loop and I'm working on others. What do you think is a good level for me to make my "Adult Debut" at? My next goal for skating is to make it to Adult Nationals and eventually be Adult National champion. :-) I have my work cut out for me. Thanks for all your help!You need to be skating at the Gold level. (I don't care if people jump down my throat. :) ) If you have the axel and a couple of doubles, and you're a strong spinner, you don't belong in Silver. And I agree with the idea of going to a couple of good-sized adult events to see what's what.

MusicSkateFan
10-25-2005, 06:18 AM
:D I agree with skaternum! What is the point of competeing at a lower level? Its not like you get prize money or anything for a win!...Do the test and get to the Adult level that you belong! Best of luck...sounds like you should have no problem getting the tests you need.

I have one more test of 4 to make it to Adult Nats.....and my first competition is, wow, less than 2 weeks away!

8-)

pinkdblonde
10-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Yes, I totally agree about skating at the level you belong instead of skating lower to "win." I like to push myself :-) I just wasn't sure what is what in adult skating. What are some major adult competitions on the West, or possibly in FL during the summer? Thanks!

jazzpants
10-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Yes, I totally agree about skating at the level you belong instead of skating lower to "win." I like to push myself :-) I just wasn't sure what is what in adult skating. What are some major adult competitions on the West, or possibly in FL during the summer? Thanks!Adult competitions that are here in the Bay Area are mainly Skate Chabot, St. Moritz, and Skate San Francisco. This year's Sectionals are in the Bay Area again but not in San Francisco... Oakland's got it this time around! (Double rink!)

Sillicon Valley Open does have adult events but this year only ONE adult has signed up for it and only one event too!!! Weird....

The BIG adult event out of the ones I listed seems to be Skate San Francisco (http://www.scsf.org/skatesf/SkateSF2005/skatesf2005.htm) (judging from the turnout I see for the adult events.) I guess since it's later in the year that there's more time for competing adults to get their program together and "debut" it to get feedback (so they can tweak it some more and do it at Sectionals and Nationals.) PLUS the rink is gorgeous!!! (Alright! I'm biased! I skate there too!) 8-) The only thing that may be a minus is that it's not an "adults-only" competition, but, eh... I don't mind see the Senior Ladies and Men skate again! :P

doubletoe
10-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Yes, I totally agree about skating at the level you belong instead of skating lower to "win." I like to push myself :-) I just wasn't sure what is what in adult skating. What are some major adult competitions on the West, or possibly in FL during the summer? Thanks!

Don't know which part of the west coast you are on, but in L.A., All Year FSC hosts the Golden West competition on Labor Day weekend (beginning of September) every year. There are always adult competitions included and it's a fun competition because you also get to see some of the top Junior and Senior level skaters try out their new programs there for the first time as they kick off their competition season.

CanAmSk8ter
10-27-2005, 02:04 PM
As long as we're on the topic... :)

I'm planning to compete freestyle this year, now that the adult age limit was lowered. I have all my singles and have just started landing the axel again (occasionally). I don't have any doubles back cleanly, and my axel isn't comfortable yet, so I'm planning to compete Silver this year. I've passed my Pre-Juv Freestyle and Int. MIF- on the USFS site it looks like all I have to take is Silver FS. Are you guys in agreement with me on that? I want to make sure I'm reading this right.

skaternum
10-28-2005, 09:02 AM
I've passed my Pre-Juv Freestyle and Int. MIF- on the USFS site it looks like all I have to take is Silver FS. Are you guys in agreement with me on that? I want to make sure I'm reading this right.That's how I'd interpret it too. You might want to e-mail Tony Conte or your section's vice-chair and get it in writing. (This is always helpful if you have a club test chair who interprets the oh-so-confusing adult rules differently from you, or doesn't understand them at all.)

doubletoe
10-28-2005, 05:14 PM
As long as we're on the topic... :)

I'm planning to compete freestyle this year, now that the adult age limit was lowered. I have all my singles and have just started landing the axel again (occasionally). I don't have any doubles back cleanly, and my axel isn't comfortable yet, so I'm planning to compete Silver this year. I've passed my Pre-Juv Freestyle and Int. MIF- on the USFS site it looks like all I have to take is Silver FS. Are you guys in agreement with me on that? I want to make sure I'm reading this right.

I agree. It looks like that's all you'd have to take to be eligible to compete at Adult Silver.

CanAmSk8ter
10-30-2005, 04:48 PM
I agree. It looks like that's all you'd have to take to be eligible to compete at Adult Silver.

Awesome. I wasn't looking forward to doing all those tests from the beginning, especially since I was probably going to have to take all three moves and all three freestyles in one day 8O