View Full Version : First skates

Dr Lightbody
10-23-2005, 05:28 AM
Dear all,

I am in London UK and will maybe get my first skates this week. I am going to try the Belati Classic cos I heard that Belati are good for wide feet. So what happens when I go to the shop - will I just try the boot without the blade and walk around in it? 8O I am a bit concerned cos when I use the hire skates they are sometimes ok at first but then start cramping me after about 20 mins. So I think the fact that the boots feel ok to walk in doesn't mean that they will be ok to skate on. :cry: I don't know if there is any solution to this problem. Anyway if the boots are ok, will the shop guy then put the blade on there and then - is this a quick job? I hope he puts the blade on correctly cos I wouldn't know by looking at it whether it is right or not. :roll:

Isk8NYC
10-23-2005, 08:04 AM
I don't know anything about Belati Classics. They may come with the blade already attached. If not, you have to buy the blade separately. Rental skates tend to run narrow, which may be the cause of the foot cramps. You may not need a wide skate - do you usually need wide-width shoes?
If you call for an appointment in advance, they'll give you a time that's not too busy and a fitter with experience.

Tell them it's your first pair of skates, that you wear such-and-such size sneakers. Ask them to measure your feet first -- that's the easiest way to check the width.

After measuring, the fitter will bring out a pair of boots for you to try on. Make sure your foot and heel don't slip around. Your toes shouldn't be cramped.

If you feel that something's "rubbing" or "pressing" on you foot, tell the fitter. They can "punch out" the spot that's bothering you.

After the fitter makes sure the boot fits okay, he/she will attach the blades with temporary screws. You'll have to put them on again and the fitter watches you walk and, well you squat, to see if the alignment looks okay. Tell them if you feel that you're "leaning" to the inside or outside. It should feel like it's right down the middle of your foot. You should be able to lean onto the edges and come back up without too much effort. If it's not aligned, you take the boots off, they slide the blade a bit to adjust, and you put them back on to check again. Some rinks have you try the skates on the ice as well, which is a great idea. Obviously, they sharpen the blades before you try the ice. (Some places only sharpen them before you leave.)

Then, you take them off and they attach the final screws and you pay. Buy some Sno-Seal and waterproof the soles right away so you start out without water damage.

Plan on spending at least an hour at the pro shop.

Dr Lightbody
10-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi Isk8NYC,

Thanx for reply. Yes I definitely have wide feet. Ideally I would get custom made but of course this is a lot of dough. I know that the Belati Classic comes with a a blade but I don't know whether this means that it is pre-attached or attached at the shop. I will email Belati and see if they can tell me anything. I would also like to ask them for the width measurement. I think this is their website (http://www.e-sk8r.com/b/). If the blade is pre-attached does that mean that I should walk around the shop on the blades? 8O I think this will feel weird and may be hard for me to tell if they feel right. Ideally I would like to try them on the ice, but this shop is not at an ice rink - the shop at my ice rink only sells Risport which I think are narrow and so no good for me.

Dr Lightbody
10-23-2005, 10:06 AM
You may not need a wide skate - do you usually need wide-width shoes?
OK I just traced my foot on a piece of paper - it is about 11.5 cm at the widest point - does that sound big? 8O I am UK shoe size 9.

flippet
10-23-2005, 11:37 AM
If the blade is pre-attached does that mean that I should walk around the shop on the blades? 8O I think this will feel weird and may be hard for me to tell if they feel right.

Yep, you'd walk on the blades. It may feel weird, but really no weirder than walking in just the boot--the boots are really stiff and don't bend, and you will 'clump' around in them anyway. You honestly don't want to walk around much, since it's not the proper movement, and you're not trying to get a bend/crease at the toes. But on land, it's the only way to see if there might be a pressure spot or two. Standing is the key, really, not so much the walking.

Remember that you want the fit to be quite snug--like the snugness of an ACE bandage--not comfy like slippers. But it shouldn't be so tight that you feel pain. The toes should just brush the end of the toe box--your feet shouldn't move within the boot, so you don't need any slip/expansion room there. Wear nylons or VERY thin socks to be fitted, preferably the ones you'll skate in.

batikat
10-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi Isk8NYC,

Thanx for reply. Yes I definitely have wide feet. Ideally I would get custom made but of course this is a lot of dough. I know that the Belati Classic comes with a a blade but I don't know whether this means that it is pre-attached or attached at the shop. I will email Belati and see if they can tell me anything. I would also like to ask them for the width measurement. I think this is their website (http://www.e-sk8r.com/b/). If the blade is pre-attached does that mean that I should walk around the shop on the blades? 8O I think this will feel weird and may be hard for me to tell if they feel right. Ideally I would like to try them on the ice, but this shop is not at an ice rink - the shop at my ice rink only sells Risport which I think are narrow and so no good for me.

Just a quick thought if you haven't bought these skates yet. I have wide feet and yet I find GAMS very comfortable. My son has very wide feet but he only likes Risports (which in theory are for narrow feet but he has a very high instep and Risports are comfortable for him - maybe it's the higher heel that helps.) He has also worn GAMS.

I have had two friends who bought Belati skates when they were beginners and they had terrible problems trying to break them in - they seemed to be particularly painful. I had very little problem with my GAMs (aside from a bit of rubbing around the top of the boot - I wore a strip of bubble wrap stuck on with micrpore tape for a few months (hot & sweaty but effective)

So personally I wouldn't buy Belati but recommend trying a few different makes to see which seem to fit your feet best.

Dr Lightbody
10-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanx batikat I am not committed to the Belati and I am open to suggestions. The reason I am considering Belati is that i) I heard they are good for wide feet and ii) they are sold in London ie I can try them on.

Do you know anywhere I can try GAMS in the London / home counties area? I just looked for a GAMS website but can't find one. :(

Isk8NYC
10-23-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm from the US, so I can't help you with your last question, but here's another 2¢ from me: save your receipt. If you have problems with the skates, such as blisters or tight spots, you should take them back to the pro shop and ask for an adjustment. They don't often ask for the receipt (it's uncanny how they remember who bought skates from them) but you may need it. Stick the receipt in a plastic bag in your skate bag.

On an off-topic note: if you bought skates for a child and they're getting a bit tight, most pro shops will stretch the boots for you, gratis. They keep them overnight and put them on a stretcher. Helps you get a few more weeks/months out of the investment. Sporting goods stores will NOT do this because they don't have the equipment. That's also why they don't sharpen blades. I always recommend buying at a pro shop. The customer service is worth the extra up-front investment of $20.

Tennisany1
10-23-2005, 09:58 PM
The website for GAM is gamskates.com

batikat
10-24-2005, 03:37 AM
Thanx batikat I am not committed to the Belati and I am open to suggestions. The reason I am considering Belati is that i) I heard they are good for wide feet and ii) they are sold in London ie I can try them on.

Do you know anywhere I can try GAMS in the London / home counties area? I just looked for a GAMS website but can't find one. :(

Well you can visit Mr Les Westaway who is just outside Reading if you can travel that far. He's not my favourite guy but I've had good boots from him. It's a sort of shop in his house and don't like going there much but he has a wide range and also stretching/punching out equipment. Not sure if he stocks Belatis or not, or the cheaper, blade attached boots.

Phone no is 0118 941 4797 or 0118 945 4878

Otherwise there are rink shops aroudn but you dont always get such good fitting advice - you need someone who can fit figure skates not just hockey skates. Bracknell rink has Risports, Belatis I think and the new Adea boots (I think they are italian - some peopel like them but they are an offwhite clour and i think they look odd.)

Hope this helps. Of course everyone's different but seeing my friends feet bleed everytime she wore her Belati's for years really put me off!!! They may be fine for you.

Mrs Redboots
10-24-2005, 07:01 AM
Do you know anywhere I can try GAMS in the London / home counties area? I just looked for a GAMS website but can't find one. :(As Batikat says, go and see Les Westaway! You'd do well to go anyway, he's the best fitter in the South of England, and unless you want to trail all the way up to Coventry to see John Turner (the other good fitter), he's about your only choice! And it really is worth having your feet properly measured and to be sold the correct boots and blades - the various rink shops are usually far more geared to hockey. They're fine if you know exactly what you want, and will order it for you, but you really need a professional if you haven't got sorted yet!

By the way, whereabouts do you skate?

Dr Lightbody
10-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanx to all for replies. Reading is ok and I have seen another place at Milton Keynes which is about the same distance. Their ad (http://www.mkisc.org.uk/local.htm) says they stock Gam, Risport, Wifa and Belati. So it is between these two at the moment. I will try Les first. The first thing is to ask him what he has for my freakishly wide feet and how much they are. I will only make the journey if he says he definitely or probably has something suitable. If I go, I am hoping that I can take them away on the same day. I don't really want to spend time and money in going back and forth. :roll:

Dr Lightbody
10-24-2005, 01:49 PM
By the way, whereabouts do you skate?
Lee Valley :mrgreen: but have also visited Romford and Ally Pally...

Dr Lightbody
10-25-2005, 05:24 AM
OK so I phoned Les. He said that for a good boot in my size I would be looking at a minimum of £200 + VAT (= £235) - these would be GAMS. Or I could go for the cheaper Belati but these are cheaper material and can cause foot problems (as mentioned by batikat above). So I guess I could push it to £235 but I don't like the word 'minimum' - that is more like my maximum :mrgreen: So any tips for negotiation? Should I say in advance this is what I can pay and no more? I know he can't say for sure how much they will be until he knows what fits me, but on the other hand I am not handing out blank cheques!

Casey
10-25-2005, 06:09 AM
OK so I phoned Les. He said that for a good boot in my size I would be looking at a minimum of £200 + VAT (= £235) - these would be GAMS. Or I could go for the cheaper Belati but these are cheaper material and can cause foot problems (as mentioned by batikat above). So I guess I could push it to £235 but I don't like the word 'minimum' - that is more like my maximum :mrgreen: So any tips for negotiation? Should I say in advance this is what I can pay and no more? I know he can't say for sure how much they will be until he knows what fits me, but on the other hand I am not handing out blank cheques!
The fit is far, FAR more important that cost, trust me on that one (I'm sure others here will strongly agree, for me personally it's meant various foot problems and going through trying different padding to make my skates fit decently)...my personal vote is to suffer with hire skates for another couple weeks or a month or whatever it takes in order to afford properly-fitting boots. Don't forget that the blades will cost extra - I don't know the prices in the UK, but it's probably around £70 for a decent set (the UK folk can give a better estimate, or you could ask Les about that via phone as well).

batikat
10-25-2005, 07:00 AM
I dont' know much about negotiating with Les - you could always try asking if he can do any discount? Stress you are on a tight budget.

On the other hand if you look at it in terms of cost per wear or cost per hour, skate boots arent' that expensive. One decent pair of shoes will cost you 50 quid these days and there aren't many pairs of shoes you will wear constantly (OK so I do have a pair of Barrats kids slip-ons that I do wear constantly - I'm on my third pair - now they were a good buy for £15! - but I also have 50 quid shoes in my wardrobe that I have only ever worn once or twice). You will spend a lot of time in your skates and you do want to be comfortable and have a good fit and they will last you for years. I've had my GAMS probably 3 or 4 years now. I skate 2 - 4 times a week for 1 - 2 hours a time usually and also compete.

I bought my first pair of boots second hand from the local skate club monthly sale. They were Risport Laser with blade attached (30 quid all in) and served me fine for a year or so til I was sure I was going to keep on doing this sport. This could be an option for you (second hand sales) if you dont want to spend too much but want a decent boot. If you can buy at a club sale there are likely to be plenty of people around (experienced parents) who can offer advice on the fit.

Good Luck

sceptique
10-25-2005, 07:07 AM
Coventry to see John Turner (the other good fitter)

Do you have any contacts of this guy? I've been thinking of upgrading my blades around Christmas time.

Mrs Redboots
10-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Do you have any contacts of this guy? I've been thinking of upgrading my blades around Christmas time.No, but I can probably find out - if I do, I'll PM you.

doubletoe
10-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Better to hand out checks to your pro shop than your podiatrist.
A pair of Gams that fit: £235
Skating pain-free: Priceless!

Dr Lightbody
10-26-2005, 12:14 PM
A pair of Gams that fit: £235
Skating pain-free: Priceless!
Yeah £235 is ok but I don't want it spiralling upwards :mrgreen: Anyway what is the score with blades? As a beginner, can I get a basic blade now and then maybe upgrade in a year's time or is this a false economy? Is replacing blades a quick and easy job for a fitter?

Mrs Redboots
10-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah £235 is ok but I don't want it spiralling upwards :mrgreen: Anyway what is the score with blades? As a beginner, can I get a basic blade now and then maybe upgrade in a year's time or is this a false economy? Is replacing blades a quick and easy job for a fitter?Yes. Even your coach will probably be able to do it.

Actually, s/he is the right and proper person to talk to about boots & blades before you do anything irrevocable - they may well know of a pair in your size that someone no longer uses that are still good and will keep you going for a year or so. Even if they're white - well, Lady Esquire can see to that very nicely!

Dr Lightbody
10-27-2005, 12:50 PM
The GAM website mentions heat moulding - can this be done anytime or only when boots are brand new, and is it normal - are most boots heat moulded or is it uncommon - for people with freaky feet?

Thanx

Casey
10-27-2005, 07:26 PM
The GAM website mentions heat moulding - can this be done anytime or only when boots are brand new, and is it normal - are most boots heat moulded or is it uncommon - for people with freaky feet?
Anytime, and you can repeate the process if you ever need to, though you don't want to do it too much or it will eventually weaken the boots.

Some brands are heat-moldable, some are not. It's meant to be somewhat similar to having custom boots made, in that the boots well give a little and form to the shape of your foot to some extent.

In reality, it's most likely not nearly the same, but it is better than picking up a stock boot without any heat molding, as it lessens the break-in time (skate in them enough, and any boots are going to shape to your feet, it just might be a more painful process in some than others). Heat molding doesn't (in my experience anyways) completely take away the pain of breaking in new boots, but it does lessen it substantially.

The heat molding is possible because the bootmaker puts a layer of firm plastic in between the leather layers. When the boots are heated, this layer softens. You put the boots on and lace them up, the plastic bends where necessary, and hardens as it cools.

Mrs Redboots
10-28-2005, 10:21 AM

ThanxAny time - you do need a fan-assisted oven, though (allegedly - we did my husband's in the gas oven and they were fine). I haven't done mine, though - the gel pads were and are very comfortable "as is", and they didn't need it. You may find yours settle on to your feet without needing any extra help. In fact, I should have had mine punched out along the toe box, where heat-moulding wouldn't help.... ah well, they're okay now and so are my feet!

doubletoe
10-28-2005, 05:21 PM
You just need to be careful with heat-moldable boots. For obvious reasons, you want to make sure you don't leave them in a parked car on hot summer days. ;)

Dr Lightbody
10-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Ok so I went to see Les. He confirmed that I have 'monster feet' - about 10 1/2 " = 27cm circumference at the ball (although I am only average in height and weight). This is actually 'off the scale' in terms of non-custom boots. Gam for example has widths of A, B and C (increasing by 1/4 "), whereas I would be an E. Anyway I tried the C width Gams and they felt OK. If necessary (after I have tried them on the ice) Les could push them out to a D and then I would only be 1/4 " short. Anyway he said that the measurement of a foot and the boot width don't always correspond (ie it is how a boot feels in practice that counts, not what the foot measures in theory) so I may be ok with the C out of the box. Unfortunately he only had a B in the 0095 and a C only in the more expensive model. So I have ordered the C in the 0095 and have to wait for them to arrive. :roll: Anyway I think I have made a good choice. I also tried the Belati and they felt awful. Thanx to all for your help. :)