View Full Version : Has Anyone Switched From Harlicks To Klingbeils?

miraclegro
10-22-2005, 08:22 PM
I switched this year from Harlicks to Klingbeils,and, most recently while i had sent my Klingbeils back to have some work done on them, noticed that my spins are much nicer in the old Harlicks. Why is that? I am more centered and feel much more in control. The Harlicks were a softer more pliable boot but they have also about seen their last of everything.

The Klingbeils are still stiffer because they break down differently. Any thoughts?

saras
10-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Are you using the same blades on both pairs? Usually spin differences like that are due to differences in the rocker of different blades (e.g., 7 foot v.s. 8 foot etc.). Just a guess though - - Sara
I switched this year from Harlicks to Klingbeils,and, most recently while i had sent my Klingbeils back to have some work done on them, noticed that my spins are much nicer in the old Harlicks. Why is that? I am more centered and feel much more in control. The Harlicks were a softer more pliable boot but they have also about seen their last of everything.

The Klingbeils are still stiffer because they break down differently. Any thoughts?

mskater
10-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Sorry I can't offer any thoughts because I am currently in Harlicks and have been for years. I am curious though if anyone has gone from Harlicks to Grafs. Anyone? How was the transition? Positive/negative?

vesperholly
10-25-2005, 03:46 AM
I went from Harlicks to Klingbeils, but stayed with the same blade. Spins remained about the same, but I had a horrible experience with my Harlicks and the Klingbeils were a godsend :halo: so it's hard to tell.

My guess is that your boots aren't broken in, so you're still adjusting. If you are going from very broken down skates to brand new, the transition will be especially jarring.

I recently got a new pair of boots AND new, different blades, and after skating in them a few days I had to send them back for some boot adjustments (long story). So I skated in my old boots for a week. Camels, which are my skating bellwethers, felt much, much better in my old boots. But they were still kind of inconsistent in the entrance, because I didn't have enough support. I got my new boots back last week. It took me a day to get used to the stiffer boot, but now that I've skated in them for a while, my camel spins have been much more consistent and now I'd say that they are even better than the best once I ever did in my old boots. Back sits, on the other hand... :roll: I'm hoping their atrocity is because of the stiffness!

skatingatty
10-27-2005, 10:17 AM
My experience is the same as vesperholly's. I love my Klingbeils!! Of course, it felt weird to skate & spin in new boots at first, but after a few weeks of wearing them, it was wonderful. At the rate I'm going (haven't skated in 2 weeks), these boots should last me a decade.

sk8dinosaur
10-29-2005, 09:24 AM
I switched and had a huge problem because the heel on the kling was higher
than on my harlicks pitching me so far forward that you could not go to your rocker because you were all ready there. I sent my boots back to the kling factory and they fixed them.(klingbeil has excelent customer service) now they are okay, but I still think I like harlick better.

miraclegro
10-30-2005, 02:02 PM
My blades are the same. I think it is just that, even though the Klingbeils are somewhat broken in, they are stiffer still. I have been told the Klingbeils will not show the break in on the boot like the Harlicks. I think, also, even though the Harlicks were starting to break down some, they felt like an old friend and felt so much more a part of me. Has anyone also had difficulty in feeling that the fit isn't as secure (mine are and all have been customs). My rt. boot seems a little weirder feeling and i am working through that.

And yes, the klingbeil's are lower than the Harlicks as far as the heel goes. At least that's what i think it is. THanks everyone!