View Full Version : Help with boot selection PLEASE !!!

SkatingOnClouds
10-22-2005, 03:10 AM
Okay, it's been asked 1000 times, but I need help here.

I am 46 yo, I am fat 100kg= 200lbs+ with very wide feet at the ball (bunions).

After 20 years I am returning to the ice. I thought it would be mainly going round and round, but after 4 sessions I have achieved my first landed waltz and toe loop jumps in 20 years, and a 3 rotation spin.

20 years ago I was learning axels and double toe-loops, flying camels, and had all single jumps and basic spins. I doubt I'll get to the doubles this time around, but who knows, right?

But the jackson Mystiques I got cheap on Ebay just don't fit and aren't up to it. I NEED better boots.

I'm thinking GAM, or Graf Galaxy or something like that. I need heaps of support because I'm so fat, but also flexibility to bend ('cos my old knees don't like to) that won't take forever to break in.

My local rink is not the place to go for help, they'd have like 5 sets of boots in stock - all kids and they're only pushing Riedell. Driving myself nuts looking at all the online stores and brand websites, and am still no closer to putting in an order.

Any of you guys out there got suggestions for a middle-aged, fat lady with wide feet? :frus:

Karen

Place no limitations on yourself - there's plenty of people out there who'll to do that for you

techskater
10-22-2005, 04:44 AM
No,not the rink. Usually (well, here) that pro shop is only good for hockey crap. FInd a good pro shop that carries lots of different types of boots. Ask some of the competitive looking skaters

Mrs Redboots
10-22-2005, 05:53 AM
Mid-range Gams are great - I had them when I was fat, and they lasted several years even when I weighed over 200 lbs*.

But do get them fitted by an expert - ask the teachers at your rink where to go to be fitted, they'll know.

*Down to 147 lbs this morning; I haven't been that low since I gave up smoking in February 1994, so I'm very pleased with myself!

Skate@Delaware
10-22-2005, 07:11 AM
I was fitted for Jackson Competitors (about $200) when I was topping 190 pounds-not that far from your weight, very far skill-wise though! They come in D width but take 4-8 weeks to arrive.

Many of the women at my rink are switching to Gams. One has gotten the coach Gams for the warmth and extra comfort built in. Another will soon be getting hers. These women are "bigger girls" than your 120-pound woman. One just got hers in and loves them (hers were complete customs-weird feet). The other in eagerly anticipating!

One thing to keep in mind-as the weight comes off-the feet also shrink! 8O

I'm on my 2nd pair of skates in just as many years, down one whole width (from D to a C) and 1/2 in length; and seriously contemplating another purchase :cry: because my feet are swimming!

luna_skater
10-22-2005, 10:08 AM
I know of a few skaters who, from your description, share your build and are in Gams. I'm in Gams myself and think they are wonderful. I see far more skaters in Gams now than I used to. The competitive skaters at my rink are all in Gam, Graf, or Riedell, and I think I've seen one Sp-Teri.

jwrnsktr
10-22-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't know where you live, but I would go to Klingbeil. He tends to make a wide boot anyway and he makes custom boots at about the same price at the heat molded Jackson 3500's. You can even call and send your measurements I think.

Mrs Redboots
10-22-2005, 10:37 AM
I know of a few skaters who, from your description, share your build and are in Gams. I'm in Gams myself and think they are wonderful. I see far more skaters in Gams now than I used to. The competitive skaters at my rink are all in Gam, Graf, or Riedell, and I think I've seen one Sp-Teri.I think Gams are superb for the larger skater. The only people I've known who've had trouble with them have been much, much thinner.

TaBalie
10-22-2005, 12:33 PM
I went to go look for the "Poll: Boots and Blades" and found this:
http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18441&page=1&pp=25

It looks like the first few pages (with the useful information) is all gone.

The reason for the thread was to have a resource for people to read and see what people their size/height/level/foot type liked...

:cry:

---
I did a search for my username and was able to pull up the entire thread...

http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18514&highlight=tabalie

Hope this helps!

(This board is playing tricks on me!)

flippet
10-22-2005, 01:06 PM
It's not playing tricks....I split the thread since half the posts were very far off-topic. :)

SkatingOnClouds
10-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, sounds like Gam might be a good choice then. Any suggestions on the model? Also, can anyone recommend a really good supplier who deals over the internet?

I live in a really out of the way place in Australia, with one tiny rink in the whole state. So there is no-one who can fit boots here. The rink is it.
I was talking to a coach yesterday, she likes her Gams.

One thing she said about them which I hadn't considered before. We both used to have an Australian brand boot - Altamura, which are no longer made. They had quite high heels, this coach said it took quite some adjusting to get used to lower heels, that it put her centre of balance on the blade off for quite a while. I'm going to run with that as the perfect excuse as to why my balance is all over the place in my Mystiques. It couldn't be me, it must be my equipment!

Karen
Don't place limitations on yourself - there are plenty of people out there who'll do that for you

aussieskater
10-22-2005, 07:57 PM
I went to go look for the "Poll: Boots and Blades" and found this:
http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18441&page=1&pp=25

It looks like the first few pages (with the useful information) is all gone.

The reason for the thread was to have a resource for people to read and see what people their size/height/level/foot type liked...

:cry:

---
I did a search for my username and was able to pull up the entire thread...

http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=18514&highlight=tabalie

Hope this helps!

(This board is playing tricks on me!)

TaBalie, from the looks of it, the "non-boot non-blade" posts in the thread you started were split off as they were OT, and then the split-off part of the thread was locked by the moderator.

aussieskater
10-22-2005, 07:59 PM
I live in a really out of the way place in Australia, with one tiny rink in the whole state. So there is no-one who can fit boots here. The rink is it.

Hey Karen - nice to see another skater down under!! Where are you? Sounds like Hobart!

SkatingOnClouds
10-23-2005, 02:23 AM
Hi AussieSkater, yes I live in Hobart. There is only the one rink in Tasmania.
I'm not complaining, at least there is one!

On my skate search: there is a guy selling boots on Ebay, says they're from a closed pro shop. He has Graf Galaxy in my size for $275 US, which sounds like a bargain.

Given what I've said about my size etc, does anyone think it's a bad idea to go for the Grafs?

Speak now, or my feet will have to live with the results

Karen

Isk8NYC
10-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Beware of "Closed Pro Shop" skates. Sometimes, they're moldy oldies. Sometimes, they're used rental skates. Get a good picture before you buy. Ask specifically about rust, mold, waterproofing. Ask for the measurements of the innersole: length, width at the heel, and width at the ball. Obviously, you should measure your foot and see if these numbers jive.

I would recommend the Jackson Freestyles. My daughter is 5'8" and they provide great support. If you can get a Reidell Medallion skate (bronze, silver, and gold) they're comparable to the Freestyle.

However, I have a pair of hand-me-down Grafs for my kids and they're really nice skates. I think you'll do fine with them.

SkatingOnClouds
10-24-2005, 02:58 AM
Well, I did it, bought the Graf Galaxy boots. Hope they will be what I need.
Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

Karen

Skate@Delaware
10-24-2005, 07:16 AM
I see a lot are skating in Gams. Has anyone had problems with them rubbing at the spot right above (about an inch or two) the ankle bone on the outside of the legs? My daughter keeps getting abraded there and bunga pads only seem to make it worse.

Would it help to get it punched out?

It's really bothering her and almost keeps her from skating. She's disgusted and all she does is whine, saying she want's new skates (no way-these puppies cost over $400 because they were semi-customs!) I'm afraid these "wounds" might get worse and prevent her from skating in the ice shows.

Isk8NYC
10-24-2005, 07:38 AM
Skate@Delaware - I had some dried glue on the top edges of my skate (leftover from a rebuild) and now I have lovely abrasion lines. Some were deep and bleeding. Keep the abrasions covered with neosporin or similar and bandages until they heal, especially off-ice. I just bought some of the "scar reduction" patches because it's quite noticeable.

Take a look at the skates - maybe the lining is rough or sharp at the top edge.
I used a suede brush to get rid of the glue drops and haven't had as much of a problem. I also "bent" the tops of the skates outward (they were angled toward my leg) so more padding and less edge touched my leg.

Celiste - Let us know how you like your new skates. Bet you can't wait to try them out!

Skate@Delaware
10-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Isk8NYC, they are smooth inside but will get a brush and take a whack at it-thanks for the info, esp on the scar patch stuff-I will get some of that stuff (more stuff for my skate bag).

Celiste-I hope you enjoy your new skates....getting skates is so much like Christmas! Very exciting! You will feel like a million bucks once they are broken in!

blisspix
10-24-2005, 10:18 PM
One thing she said about them which I hadn't considered before. We both used to have an Australian brand boot - Altamura, which are no longer made. They had quite high heels, this coach said it took quite some adjusting to get used to lower heels, that it put her centre of balance on the blade off for quite a while.

ho ho ho! altamuras. I had them, they were death. I had the super elites, talk about concrete. I had them for about 8 years and never broke them down (lots of doubles, etc). I dumped them because they were heavy, too large (very bulky), and the soles rotted out (blades started to fall off). But for the skater that wanted something indestructible, they were the best.

They now live under my bed... if I ever buy quad plates that's what I'll use them for.

I switched to Teris this year after the altamuras, since I'd been off the ice for 4 years I didn't notice much difference.

SkatingOnClouds
10-25-2005, 01:00 AM
Yeah, Altamuras sure were clunky. It has worried me that the guy I'm buying from said size 7 wide will fit, when I take a 8.5 to 9 in other brands. And the blade length for the Grafs will be 10 1/4, whereas my old phantoms from my old Altamuras are 10 1/3 - and the Altamuras were too small after 20 years.

I sure hope my new boots will fit. I figure that Altamuras were so big, that the Grafs could be bigger on the inside. Isk8NYC has got me worried about what condition these boots will be in. I sure hope they're in pristine condition.

It'll be a while until I get them. First I have to wait until my credit card is confirmed with Paypal before I can actually pay for them. Then they have to be shipped from USA to Oz.

I can't wait, I am so longing to get on the ice with skates that actually fit, that my feet don't move around in.

Karen

TashaKat
10-25-2005, 01:06 AM
*Down to 147 lbs this morning; I haven't been that low since I gave up smoking in February 1994, so I'm very pleased with myself!

Hey! Well done, that's fantastic :)

I think Gams are superb for the larger skater. The only people I've known who've had trouble with them have been much, much thinner.

Mmmm ... I wish that meant that I was a 'much, much thinner' skater but unfortunately it doesn't :( I hated Gams but that only shows why you have to try lots of different makes to see what suits you :)

The only boots that I've ever got on with are the Wifas (for Dance) and, of course, my all time favourites, Harlicks :)

Skate@Delaware
10-25-2005, 11:44 AM
My daughter is in Gams and weighs 145-150 pounds. Except for the abrasion on the sides of her ankle, she has no problems with them. My coach skates in Gams and she weighs about the same. I'm not sure if that's considered light or not (by today's standards!). Several others at my rink wear them also.

doubletoe
10-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Hi AussieSkater, yes I live in Hobart. There is only the one rink in Tasmania.
I'm not complaining, at least there is one!

On my skate search: there is a guy selling boots on Ebay, says they're from a closed pro shop. He has Graf Galaxy in my size for $275 US, which sounds like a bargain.

Just one question: How do you know what your size is? Skate boots are sized very differently from regular street shoes and width is extremely important as well (both in the ball and the heel, which are sometimes different widths). This is why you need to have your feet measured by a professional fitter. If the Ebay guy will agree--in writing--to refund your money if they don't fit perfectly, then go for it. Otherwise, it could be the most expensive bargain you've ever found.

SkatingOnClouds
10-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Just one question: How do you know what your size is? Skate boots are sized very differently from regular street shoes and width is extremely important as well (both in the ball and the heel, which are sometimes different widths). This is why you need to have your feet measured by a professional fitter. If the Ebay guy will agree--in writing--to refund your money if they don't fit perfectly, then go for it. Otherwise, it could be the most expensive bargain you've ever found.

I absolutely agree about the need for proper fitting. I know this seller won't guarantee fit - they're liquidating stock from a closed pro shop, clearing them out.

Thing is though, when you live in a remote place, sometimes you have to take risks. Okay imagine living in Tasmania - it's a tiny island at the bottom of Australia, population less than 1/2 million. There is one small rink. Next closest major city is Melbourne, that's going to cost in airfares - and they only have one rink too. Believe me, the internet has opened up possibilities that just weren't there before for people in remote areas.

I have owned 4 pairs of skates in my life (3 Altamura), none professionally fitted, the most measuring done was to trace around my feet. The worst fit have been my Ebay Jackson Mystiques.

First of all I made a mistake by working out my size by comparing Australian street shoe size with American, ended up ordering at least half a size too big. The second problem was that they sent me the wrong style - I ordered Classiques (?), not Mystiques, which weren't even leather. They ended up refunding my money including shipping, and letting me keep the boots, so I actually got them for free. At least I had something to hit the ice with. Because they were free, doesn't matter whether I can sell them, or throw them in the rubbish.

This time around I 've done quite a bit of research on the internet, different brands and generalisations about their fit, checking with stores about what size I would need in the different brands. I know that because of my bunions, what I really need is custom made boots , preferably made from those neat casts you can make. Financial reality dictates that I buy stock, and cheap stock at that. I have heard and read that Graf are one of the widest fitting boots. I have asked the seller at least 4 times about the size, based on the length of my foot. I am hoping that heat moulding will take care of any minor problems. So I hope I'll get an acceptable fit. If not, I'll try to re-sell them on Ebay.

The seller has had postive feedback on all their liquidated boots, which include SP Teri and Klingbeil. No-one has complained of damage or them being less than perfect condition.

I have paid for the boots today, so hopefully they will be on their way to me really fast. Then we'll all find out whether they are a bargain or not.

Here's hoping.

Karen

luna_skater
10-25-2005, 08:23 PM
My daughter is in Gams and weighs 145-150 pounds. Except for the abrasion on the sides of her ankle, she has no problems with them. My coach skates in Gams and she weighs about the same. I'm not sure if that's considered light or not (by today's standards!). Several others at my rink wear them also.

I'm 5'7" and about 130-140lbs and wear the Gam 400s. I've had them since June and skate 5 times a week in them, doing synchro and low freeskate (all single jumps, forward spins). They are holding up great and didn't take long to break in. The only problem I've had with them is some irritation on the inside ankle bone of my landing foot. It comes and goes, so I don't know that it's necessarily the boot, so much as over-use/not being used to jumping. I don't have the lace-bite or heel bump that my old Riedells gave me. I guess my feet are pretty average; I think I got a size 7.5 boot in a B width.

Mrs Redboots
10-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Just one question: How do you know what your size is? Skate boots are sized very differently from regular street shoes and width is extremely important as well (both in the ball and the heel, which are sometimes different widths). This is why you need to have your feet measured by a professional fitter. If the Ebay guy will agree--in writing--to refund your money if they don't fit perfectly, then go for it. Otherwise, it could be the most expensive bargain you've ever found.Don't forget that American shoe sizes are very different from UK, European and, I imagine, Australian ones, too! I know that when I went to the USA I didn't have the first idea what size shoes I wanted, and luckily found a pair in a box which gave the size in American, British and European ones, which made a good starting-point (I take UK size 6-7, European 39-40 and I think it was 8 or 8.5 in the US!)!

But it does make sizing skates exceptionally difficult, since you need to know what sizing convention the manufacturer is thinking in before you can even begin to know what size to start trying on!

Skate@Delaware
10-26-2005, 08:10 AM
And I was in Japan on vacation once and couldn't even buy shoes-my feet were size 10.5 (American) and Japanese shoes didn't go that high!!! I was disappointed because they had beautiful shoes! So, I bought fabric instead!

dblflutz
10-26-2005, 02:38 PM
I too have been off the ice for too many years, and when I started skating again I started out in Riedell Royals... boy what a mistake... Way too much padding, couldn't even feel my feet..I'm about 5'3 128 lbs, and I now have custom Sp Teri's and wouldn't trade them for the world. Because I wore skates for the first 16 years of my life after the age of 3, my feet are pretty mucked up to begin with...so the custom's were the way to go for me. I looked into the Graf's but the toes were too boxy for me... The Edmonton's (Graf) are a great light boot if you plan on attempting your doubles (I promise,they do come back! :lol: Anyway... best of luck to your endevours back on the ice! Welcome back..... :D

Bunny Hop
10-26-2005, 04:21 PM
ho ho ho! altamuras. I had them, they were death. I had the super elites, talk about concrete. I had them for about 8 years and never broke them down (lots of doubles, etc). I dumped them because they were heavy, too large (very bulky), and the soles rotted out (blades started to fall off). But for the skater that wanted something indestructible, they were the best.

This post made me chuckle so much that I've been forced to break my rule of never posting to a forum! I can confirm that Altamura boots are indeed indestructible. My parents bought some for me for my 13th birthday in 1983, when I was taking group skating lessons at Prince Alfred Park rink in Sydney (and before someone asks, no it no longer exists - in fact its closure was why I stopped taking lessons in about 1984 or '85!).

After being used only occasionally for recreational skating until I was about 25 my skates then sat in a bag in the wardrobe for almost ten years, surviving three or four housemoves, including one to the UK. Last year my husband expressed an interest in taking up skating, and bought a pair of skates for himself (Jacksons, since you ask). Anyway, the altamuras came back out of the cupbaord and have proved perfectly servicable ever since, despite being over twenty years old - I'm even taking a few private lessons to regain lost skills.

Of course as I've only ever had the one pair of skates I am probably blind to their faults, and I probably will replace them within the next year or so, but the fact remains that they don't show much sign of decay! Good Australian workmanship, I say!

And Karen, as my parents now live in Hobart, I'm looking forward to visiting the tiny rink there next time I visit!

doubletoe
10-26-2005, 04:37 PM
I have paid for the boots today, so hopefully they will be on their way to me really fast. Then we'll all find out whether they are a bargain or not.
Karen

Having traveled in Australia, I can't think of many places more remote than where you live (except the outback!). You are a truly dedicated skater! I am keeping my fingers crossed that your boots fit!! You'll have to let us know! :)

From fittings I have gotten, I recall that they not only measure the length and width of your feet (the width at the widest point and the width at the ankle), but they also measure the circumfrence of your foot at the arch and at the ball. I think some of the boot makers' websites actually have measuring instructions and forms. By the way, if you make a mold of your foot, they only use it for reference and for taking measurements from. They do not make the boot around the cast because it is too fragile to withstand the lasting process.