View Full Version : Is skating dangerous?

sue123
10-21-2005, 09:19 PM
According the the sports injury calculator, ice skating is 12.376000000000001% risk of injury for me. Seems like a low percentage, but the amount of injuries I've gotten from skating has been many.

Edit: Guess you'd want the link, huh? http://www.sportscover.com/calculator.html

sunshinepointe
10-21-2005, 09:33 PM
10.28 here!

I don't thikn this counts minor bruising though - if I leave the rink without a bruise for the day its a miracle

Chico
10-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Nothing in life is risk free. =-) In my book skating is worth it!

Chico

skippyjoy_207
10-21-2005, 11:59 PM
7.711200000000001 for me.

jazzpants
10-22-2005, 01:58 AM
12.852 (Must be b/c I'm older...)

aussieskater
10-22-2005, 02:19 AM
Jazzpants - wait until you're over 40...my answer was 17.136%, which was the lowest answer for 40-49 females. World class skaters rated 22.848% (probably all those 3A's they're failing to land!!!), while the highest rating in this age bracket was 38.08% (unfit). Is the message they're sending "Don't take up skating to get fit - get fit first"??

ETA - just did the calculation for my over-40 husband. Obviously men must take more chances than women - as a "good fitness level" 40-49 male, he scored 21.4199% - or more than 4% more than an equivalent female. Interesting, no?

jazzpants
10-22-2005, 02:28 AM
Jazzpants - wait until you're over 40...my answer was 17.136%, which was the lowest answer for 40-49 females. World class skaters rated 22.848% (probably all those 3A's they're failing to land!!!), while the highest rating in this age bracket was 38.08% (unfit). Is the message they're sending "Don't take up skating to get fit - get fit first"??Well, when I was in better shape than I am now (about a year ago), my risk was 14.28%. I guess I shouldn't be in that much better shape, huh? :P :twisted:

Hmmm? Interesting... Sasha is like 20 now? She has a chance of 11.424%, whereas MK has a chance of 13.71%, but she only ups her percentage to 14.85% if she stays yet another 4 years in the sport! Hmmm? :twisted: :P

Skate@Delaware
10-22-2005, 07:27 AM
This is weird-we just had this discussion last night after lessons! We were talking about the rate of injury at our rink for adults VS. kids and serious VS. not so serious.

We determined that 99% of the serious accidents (concussions, broken bones, etc) have happened to the kids. One accident (concussion) happened to an adult lady (30+) during a lesson.

In trying to figure out why-we think it's because:
1. Kids have no fear and will do what you tell them-whether it's smart or not
2. Kids don't know how to fall safely when they are going down
3. Adults over-analyze things and proceed with safety in mind (wearing pads, helmets, etc)
4. Adults will not usually do things that are beyond their skill level

The falls & stuff where you get bruised up - that's another story! I've fallen from just standing still, catching a toe-pick, etc. but have not sustained any serious injury (nothing that my chiropractor can't fix). I don't consider those serious injuries-you could slip on a sidewalk and fall, or fall down the steps, or trip over a cat (at my house they do that on purpose :evil: ).

BelleOnIce
10-22-2005, 08:05 AM
For skating my percentage is 9.52%, though it would have been lower at 8.56% four years ago when I was 16! Yet for me between the age of 10 and 16 I had at least 4 broken bones, a serious concussion and lost my two front teeth on the ice! I have to say I have not had an injury in the last three years!

I decided to compare this to Netball which I play at least once a week also, and I may add have never had a serious accident, worst being getting hit on the nose which hurts for a second or bending your fingers slightly. I was shocked that my chance of injury for that jumped right up to 34%!!!

I am very suprised and can't imagine this as being accurate at all!!!

Just my wee thought!

Belle

Michigansk8er
10-22-2005, 08:20 AM
I'm in trouble. Mine is 28.56% No way around it when you are in the over 50 group.

crayonskater
10-22-2005, 09:26 AM
I would point out that the site is fixed by a insurance company, so the estimates are probably a bit high.

Elsy2
10-22-2005, 09:41 AM
I'm in trouble. Mine is 28.56% No way around it when you are in the over 50 group.

We've talked about alternate sports.......I guess we'll have to consider darts? (10.2%)

Sk8pdx
10-22-2005, 02:32 PM
..In trying to figure out why-we think it's because:
1. Kids have no fear and will do what you tell them-whether it's smart or not
2. Kids don't know how to fall safely when they are going down
3. Adults over-analyze things and proceed with safety in mind (wearing pads, helmets, etc)
4. Adults will not usually do things that are beyond their skill level

I agree. I wish I could turn off the "fear factor" button in my head and stop the paralysis by over analysis! grrr :frus:

... or trip over a cat (at my house they do that on purpose :evil: ).

...while carrying a fully loaded laundry basket :oops: 8O --I love my kitty too!

coskater64
10-22-2005, 04:41 PM
I am @ 17.3% which seems about right. Then again we all take risks.

samba
10-22-2005, 04:50 PM
37.12% I think I had better stop now....nah

icedancer2
10-22-2005, 05:27 PM

You know, I fall into this category,too -- but I think where I have a problem with this percentage rate is that they don't take into consideration whether you know HOW to ice skate or not.

I think for me, because I know HOW to ice skate (or figure skate, as I would prefer to call it) the percentage is much less.

I have had much more serious injuries NOT ice skating than ice-skating, like falling walking down the street and breaking my foot, busting a toe on the frame of my bed and falling off a horse (when I was 13) and fracturing my skull.

And there was that other horse incident where I broke a finger...

You catch my drift.

Serious ice-skating injury? One semi-broken wrist.
8-)

Michigansk8er
10-22-2005, 06:32 PM
We've talked about alternate sports.......I guess we'll have to consider darts? (10.2%)

Gee, that sounds like a barrel of fun! Shall I have Christi hang up a dart board in the garage next weekend, so we can get started?

Michigansk8er
10-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Serious ice-skating injury? One semi-broken wrist.
8-)

I hear you on knowing how to skate. Unfortunately, I've still managed to end up with titanium parts in my back due to a perfectly innocent sit spin (which was a good spin too), 14 stitches in my chin thanks to a lutz gone wrong, and a semi-broken wrist thanks to a coach that told me I couldn't fall over backwards doing a layback............I did. Is it stopping me. Heck no!!!!!

froggy
10-22-2005, 06:53 PM
11.42% I'm actually surprised I thought it would be so much higher!

Skate@Delaware
10-22-2005, 07:09 PM
I agree. I wish I could turn off the "fear factor" button in my head and stop the paralysis by over analysis! grrr :frus:
It's the comfort thing-the more you do it-and push just a bit more-the more your comfort level grows. Trust me-I was the biggest chicken in my rink when it came to jumps and 3-turns 8O So, I got some padded shorts, knee pads and stuff and took it in small steps! Now I'm away from the wall and all over the place (jumping!) This whole process took about a year.

aussieskater
10-22-2005, 07:24 PM
I obviously have too much time on my hands and no life (!)

I've determined that a 40-49 yo good fitness level female should train assiduously in the following sports: angling (3.67%), archery (4.89%) and darts (6.12%) - someone's already suggested darts I know. Maybe the 6.12% is from the rare idiot 40-49 yo female standing in front of the dartboard...

On the other hand, us women in the prime of our lives should stay away from netball, various forms of what we call football (which is not the same as your football, which we call soccer) and netball (all 61%), Gaelic football (what's that?) at 82% (!), ice hockey (96%!) and curling (99%!!).

I guess a woman who trains ice hockey on Tuesday nights, plays netball on Saturday mornings, and learns hurling at a coffee club session on Mondays is not a good insurance risk as far as this company is concerned.

sue123
10-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I would have never thought curling was so dangerous. It always looked like a bunch of people sweeping the ice.

aussieskater
10-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Oops Sue - I wrote "curling" when I meant "hurling". (I had to ask DH was hurling was - he said it was throwing things with a weird curved stick??)

Sorry!

Sweet16*skater
10-22-2005, 08:31 PM
i really did get a laugh out of this one...i have had my fair share of injuries in this sport ( on-going back problems, a glued head, 35 stitches in my head that's all the big stuff) and I'm not even legal yet! i guess that there is a risk in everything, even walking across the road...
Anyways my risk : 9.520000000000001%

I guess that it kinda makes sense since i know a ton of people doing the same thing as me who are injury free....it's all about luck ;)

Skate@Delaware
10-22-2005, 08:50 PM
It's relieving to know that ice skating at my age and fitness level is less of a risk (17%) than playing tennis (22%). Knowing the risks, however, I'll have to tell the guys at the rink that ice hockey will have to wait a bit longer (96%).....of course, it's not broken down by position so maybe I could still be goalie ;)

Inline skating ranks right up there at 24% so maybe that won't be my summertime alternative to a closed rink - maybe I'll take up tennis afterall!

miraclegro
10-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Well, i calculated mine and it depends on if i am very fit or just fit -- i guess it depends on who is more fit than me! I am in very good condition and i went from 17 to a possible 19% depending on which i clicked and i'm over 40! i was expecting more questions about muscles, etc.

But i think i've seen more serious injuries in adults! I had one bad head injury and i didn't wake up until i was in the CT scan! My husband said he was not coming to get me again! (he was joking), but even at my level i still have a huge fear of getting a head injury (again)! But the "teeth knocked out" story takes that cake! How did you recover from that one?

BelleOnIce
10-23-2005, 12:58 PM
Thankfully I was only 11 when I got my teeth knocked out, but unfortunetly they were my adult teeth!!
Firstly I spent a week with no teeth, then got temporary plastic ones before proper ceramic crowns, which unfortunetly I had to get re-done last year!
All the root treatment and filling of nerves wasn't very pleasant!
Though as I said I was 11 so the time of school with all the dentist visits and all the presents made up for it!!

The thought of doing certain things still scares me now but then I realise if they get knocked out again they will only be replaced by what I already have so I am not losing as much as I did first time round!!

Though I think I would consider knocking yourself uncontious a bit more scary?!?!?

Belle

MQSeries
10-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Pair skating and some lifts in ice-dancing make those disciplines extremely dangerous. It never occurred to me that the guy could suffer serious head injury as a result of an aborted lift until the Paul Binnebose's accident. I've always thought that if a lift fails then it's always the girl that will be in trouble.

Figuresk8_katie
10-23-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm 7.711200000000001 %

Mrs Redboots
10-24-2005, 06:53 AM
I've determined that a 40-49 yo good fitness level female should train assiduously in the following sports: angling (3.67%), archery (4.89%) and darts (6.12%) - someone's already suggested darts I know. Maybe the 6.12% is from the rare idiot 40-49 yo female standing in front of the dartboard...Well, I've had more injuries from fly-fishing than I have from skating.... catching yourself on one of those hooks is not nice!

(BTW Aussieskater, hurling is to hockey what Aussie Rules is to ordinary football.....).

doubletoe
10-24-2005, 12:23 PM
This is a fun exercise, but the calculator has nowhere near enough information to make a valid risk assessment. It doesn't take into account how long you have been doing the sport and what you are attempting to do in the sport. If all I did was skate laps around the rink for a few hours a week, I would estimate my risk level at about 1% because of my skating ability, but this calculator would still put my risk level at 19%. And if I had taken this test less than a year ago, it would have put my risk level at just 14% instead of 19% because I was 39, not 40, even though my body is no different.

Regardless of age, the more experienced you are, the more coordinated you are and the better you are at knowing how to practice smart. That reduces your chances of injury. In my 8 total years of skating, my only emergency room visit was when I was 29 (risk level just 12%, ha ha!). None in my 30's, or in the first year of my 40's. :p

PattyP
10-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Oops Sue - I wrote "curling" when I meant "hurling". (I had to ask DH was hurling was - he said it was throwing things with a weird curved stick??)

Sorry!

"hurling" what I though you did when you drank too much the night before practicing spins on a early morning FS :mrgreen:

Skate@Delaware
10-24-2005, 02:25 PM
"hurling" what I though you did when you drank too much the night before practicing spins on a early morning FS :mrgreen:
That would be "curling" and "hurling" :)

Perry
10-24-2005, 03:10 PM
The problem with the calculator is that it doesn't factor in overuse injuries. Broken bones are nothing compared to severe tendonitis, a torn labrum or ligament, etc.

TashaKat
10-25-2005, 01:09 AM
My skating percentage is 17.136000000000003%

My RIDING percentage is 44.064% 8O plus they're not factoring in owning a youngster!!!! Crikey, at that rate I should be injuring myself almost every time I ride .... mmmm, guess that website is pretty accurate then :)