View Full Version : Poll: How much time in lessons each week?

Joan
10-21-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm curious about how much time the rest of you spend in skating lessons? I'd particularly like to hear from adults who have to budget time between work and families as well as skating,

I have three 30 min. lessons each week and I wish I could have more. What's holding me back from a fourth 30 min. lesson is not my time (or money), but the fact that my coach's are pretty booked up with other skaters at the times that I'm able to get to the rink. I practice inbetween each lesson to get the most of the lesson, and watch videotapes to try to "self-teach".

NickiT
10-21-2005, 08:10 AM
I have two 30 minute private lessons per week and also participate in a small group lesson in which we work on jumps and spins.

rf3ray
10-21-2005, 08:18 AM
I used to have 2 30 mins lessons a week, but now going back to 1 hour a week on sundays, I keep a journal of what I am doing wrong in skating and skate everyday

phoenix
10-21-2005, 08:29 AM
I have two 30 minute lessons a week, & skate 5 days a week.

sunshinepointe
10-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Hey, are you all taking private lessons or group or a combination of both?

Me, I have a 30 minute private where we work on mostly jumps and spins and in my group lesson we work on a mish-mosh of moves - some as basic as forward stroking, some as complex as what we learned saturday - some back cross roll/back three turn/tango stop (all on the same foot! insanity I tell you).

I have my club application sitting at home - after the holidays I want to pick up a REAL MIF private either with my current coach or another reputable coach at my rink. I think everyone wishes they had more time/money for lessons, I know I do. 30 minutes goes by so quickly. I'm used to dancing for 10 hours a week with instruction. :roll:

skaternum
10-21-2005, 09:29 AM
2 30-minute lessons per week, each with a different coach.

flying~camel
10-21-2005, 10:09 AM
I get 1 10-15 minute lesson each week.

jenlyon60
10-21-2005, 10:13 AM
3 30-minute lessons per week. Except for Friday, I skate for 30-45 minutes before lessons, and I try to pick up one extra session each week.

LoopLoop
10-21-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm supposed to have two 20-minute singles lessons (with different coaches) and one 20-minute pairs lesson. But a lot of the time I miss one of my singles lessons because that coach travels to a lot of competitions (so far this year he's gone to two junior grand prix events, Skate America this week...)

Mrs Redboots
10-21-2005, 12:17 PM
We have one 30-minute lesson as a couple; Husband has one 15-minute solo lesson and I have one 30-minute solo lesson.

Although I think that next week, when we have to change our Sunday lesson to Tuesday, at the coach's request, we'll have 2 30-minute lessons that week (well, why not!).

We skate 5-6 days a week; on Tuesdays and Wednesdays we aim to be on the ice by or (ideally) before 08:00. Husband normally leaves the rink at 08:20 or 08:50, depending on what train he wants to catch (usually later on Tuesdays and earlier on Wednesdays); I tend to stay on until near the end of the patch at 10.30, or until I've had enough. On Thursdays it is Dance Club from 19:00-20:00, and we both like to get there to warm up on the patch beforehand, so we are on the ice by about 18:30. Then either we skate on Friday, as on Tuesday or Wednesday, or else we skate on Saturday from 07:00 (or thereabouts) to 09:00, as we do on Sundays, too. We seldom skate on both Friday and Saturday.

In addition, once a month the Husband is on duty at Figure Club, which is 19:00-20:00 on a Tuesday, and it's also quite a good time to do choreography, so I sometimes join him, and once a month on a Wednesday evening we go up to another rink for their Dance Club, preceded by a 30-minute class.

crayonskater
10-21-2005, 12:33 PM
I take one 30 minute lesson a week. With only eight hours a week to practice, any more lessons I think would be a waste of money (plus, I can't afford more than one, anyway).

Skate@Delaware
10-21-2005, 01:26 PM
I have one 30-minute private lesson with one coach to work on moves & pre-bronze stuff and one 30-minute group lesson (Adults class) with another coach (my original coach) to work on USFSA Adult stuff and some moves. I average about 10 hours a week on ice.

MusicSkateFan
10-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Right now...2 twenty-five minute lessons with ice coach. One is spent doing free style elements/MIF and the other is program run throughs and elements. I also am spending 30 to 45 minutes a week with a Jump coach on pic-skate in-line.
Plus about 6 hours a week on ice practice time.

Guess that explainds why I am tired all the time and have no social life!

EEWWHHH.....Loser!

Justine_R
10-21-2005, 02:37 PM
4 20 minute lessons a week for me:)
but i don't pay
haha.

jazzpants
10-21-2005, 02:38 PM
I do two 30 minute lessons, one with each coach... When secondary coach is REALLY busy during the summer, my primary coach will pick up more work.

I practice 5 days a week. 3 of the sessions are 1.5 hr each. The other two are like 45 minutes b/c that's all the time I have to skate with commute, gym, shower, work and home stuff..

I would love to have another lesson but 1) can't afford it and 2) given how much stuff I have to practice, I really don't want to put any more stuff on my plate!!! :twisted: (Well, I take that back... I am willing to spend money for a GOOD jump coach around next year...)

EEWWHHH.....Loser! I guess I'll join the "loser" crowd too!!! Don't have much of a social life. All my time is spend on training!!!

Figuresk8_katie
10-21-2005, 03:01 PM
I skate 4 days a week (5 hours, 15 minutes/week). I have three 15 minute private lessons with my coach. We work on freeskate and skills. I have one 15 minute dance lesson each week, as well. I work on the Westminster, since it's my final gold dance. Aside from the private lessons, I have one 15 minutes group "edges and turns class" each week, and two 15 minute "power class", or stroking, classes per week.

TwirlGirl10
10-21-2005, 03:24 PM
I skate 3 days a week for an hour each day. I get 20 min each day the first two days from my primary coach. On the third day I get 30 min from my secondary coach and 15 from the ballet coach. I also skate 2-4 hours on the weekends with no lessons.

mikawendy
10-21-2005, 03:40 PM
About 30 to 35 minutes in a private lesson, and 50 minutes in a group stroking class per week. I only get to skate about 2.75-4 hours a week (sometimes more if I have time off or if I'm getting ready for a test).

In the 30-minutes private lesson, we cover FS, MIF, or program choreography, depending on what the priority is at the moment.

I'd love to practice more, but I don't know if my body coudl take it without getting overuse injuries.

icedancer2
10-21-2005, 03:44 PM
I skate 4 days a week most weeks. I take 30-60 mihutes with primary coach -- we do figures, MITF, dance -- whatever I need to work on at the moment actually -- there is usually a "theme" that runs through the lesson (like -- my right hip, or shoulders or something) -- she doesn't pay attention to the clock and so the time just kind of goes...

I've added a 2nd lesson with a man to do dance specifically. I hope to test some dances sometime, but mostly just enjoy working with a partner. That is a thirty-minute lesson about once a week.

samba
10-21-2005, 04:10 PM
I have one 30 minute free lesson and one 15 minute dance lesson a week out of season and usually have the odd extra 15-30 minutes per week approaching a competition.

For myself I find this is enough for me as she can only guide me, the rest is up to me to practice what I have learned, but I must admit I am a bit of a kid at times and need kicking back onto the ice when I get caught up in conversation with the mums, but she is very good at keeping an eye on all her pupils youngs and old, in lesson and out of lesson.

icedancer2
10-21-2005, 04:16 PM
she is very good at keeping an eye on all her pupils youngs and old, in lesson and out of lesson.

My coach does the same thing -- you can be over at the other end of the rink just practicing your thing quietly and unassumingly, and you'll hear her voice telling you one thing or another -- we think she has eyes in the back of her head - literally! :)

techskater
10-21-2005, 05:26 PM
I skate 6 days a week between 1 and 2 hours at a time and I get 2 30 minute lessons a week one usually is elements or MIF and the other is program and sections

PattyP
10-21-2005, 05:48 PM
I only skate 4 hours a week on a good week. I have 3 20 minutes lessons if I'm lucky. The lessons are fine....I just need to find more time to practice!

jazzpants
10-21-2005, 05:52 PM
My coach does the same thing -- you can be over at the other end of the rink just practicing your thing quietly and unassumingly, and you'll hear her voice telling you one thing or another -- we think she has eyes in the back of her head - literally! :)My secondary coach will yell OUT LOUD for all to hear in the rink "Jazzpants, That is NOT how I taught you to do crossovers!!!" :twisted: :oops:

At least my primary coach is a bit more discreet...he cracks jokes during the Monday night session and doesn't yell LOUDLY ACROSS for the rink to hear...

doubletoe
10-21-2005, 08:41 PM
I skate about 6 hours a week and I have a total of 60-70 minutes per week in lesson time right now. My lesson time consists of two 20-minute lessons with my freestyle coach and one 20 or 30-minute lesson with my moves-in-the-field coach. Once I pass my Gold MIF I'll go back to just two 20-minute freestyle lessons per week.

Terri C
10-21-2005, 08:59 PM
EEWWHHH.....Loser!

I'm also another one who is too tired to have a social life.
For me it's one 20 minute lesson with primary coach and one 30 minute lesson with secondary coach every week.
Of course, thanks to Halloween I'll have three lessons next week and will be comatose by Friday!

Chico
10-21-2005, 10:21 PM
I skate about 7 hours a week, although some weeks it's less. I take one 30 min. lesson a week. I would love to work with my coach more but I have this guilt thing going on. =-) Spending more on skating makes me feel guilty. =-) As an adult skater and mom it just doesn't seem right somehow.

Chico

TreSk8sAZ
10-21-2005, 11:23 PM
I skate between 10 and 15 hours a week (6 days) and I get usually 3 30 minute lessons (upping that to 4). Work on: FS, moves, dance

skippyjoy_207
10-21-2005, 11:59 PM
I get one 30-minute lesson per week, and I skate one public session before and after my lesson, though I rarely do that anymore, as I have so much homework to tests to study for. :frus:

luna_skater
10-22-2005, 12:39 AM
One 15-30 min lesson per week with free skate coach. I practice free skate 3-5 hours per week (including lesson-time). Synchro is 3 hours on-ice per week, and I don't think of it as a "lesson," but we are being coached the whole time...

During the summer I have more free skate lessons. During the school year, it's costly and difficult to drive to the rink where my coach gives lessons, but I can practice right on campus so I get lots of cheap ice time in.