View Full Version : Help with sitspin

JessicaLynn
10-20-2005, 12:00 PM
I am trying to pass my sitspin for freestyle 4. I am having the hardest time! If I get low enough I lose my balance and fall (My arms wobble and I know they are supposed to be pressing forward...), and if I actually spin more than once, my butt is sticking up really high! I also have a tendency to hit me free leg blade to the ice (Either my leg isn't being held up enough or I am not turning my foot out enough?)

Any tips to help me get the spin? I have been doing everything I can off ice, but spinning in the correct postion on the ice isn't happening for me! It will be greatly appreciated! I passed everything else in FS 4 and this sitspin is holding me back!

Thanks! :)

Debbie S
10-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I'm not the greatest at sit spins, but what has helped me is to first of all, keep the arms straight out in front, not toward the ice. That helps you get lower as well as keeps your free leg off the ice. Next, when you go into the spin, you want to feel like you're sitting in a chair. In other words, bend your leg and keep your upper body straight instead of just bending forward. This will keep your butt from sticking out (I have the same problem!). Also, keep your free foot turned outward and not toward your body.

Good luck! My issue with FS 4 was the loop. I had to take the level twice.

rf3ray
10-20-2005, 07:54 PM
With the Sit Spin and getting Low, what helped for me was trying not to drop the Hip in the low position, a good way to build strength is to do 50 squats a day :D :D :D :D

Skate@Delaware
10-20-2005, 08:28 PM
and to do one-legged squats (also called pistol squats). Believe me-it helps....although I'm still far from there :frus: but better than before.

they are done just like going into a sit-spin, keep good form and be sure the knee doesn't extend past the toes. Extend the other leg out straight. Keeping all your muscles tense & contracted helps. Do them every day, here and there in your daily routine. I've forgotten to do them and now I'm paying for it :oops: but am now back on track.

Summerkid710
10-21-2005, 11:24 AM
When you're spinning, you have to activate your ab muscles. The sit spin requires a lot of core strength in addition to the quads. Think "squeeze your knees together" while spinning and suck everything in when you're standing up out of it.

doubletoe
10-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Actually, if you squeeze your knees together you won't get low enough and you may end up bending forward at the waist. You want your free leg lower than the skating knee, with the thigh of the free leg pressed against the spinning leg, below the knee.

singerskates
10-22-2005, 11:39 PM
I am trying to pass my sitspin for freestyle 4. I am having the hardest time! If I get low enough I lose my balance and fall (My arms wobble and I know they are supposed to be pressing forward...), and if I actually spin more than once, my butt is sticking up really high! I also have a tendency to hit me free leg blade to the ice (Either my leg isn't being held up enough or I am not turning my foot out enough?)

Any tips to help me get the spin? I have been doing everything I can off ice, but spinning in the correct postion on the ice isn't happening for me! It will be greatly appreciated! I passed everything else in FS 4 and this sitspin is holding me back!

Thanks! :)

Try some off-ice two footed squats with your back touching the wall, feet shoulder width apart, sink down to a 90 degrees position and hold for 20 seconds. Repeat 10 times a day for three days. Fourth day, do the squats on each foot one at a time same timing with the freeleg out infront of you. Try this in a therapy pool too. It will help you to get down into position for your sit spin.

On-ice try holding on to the boards with one hand and squat down on one foot with the other out infront of you and hold in position for 20 seconds.

Major thing is to get hamstring and quad stregth in your legs. Also don't forget your core, abs. Sit ups all kinds slowly controlled. 5 a day will help in at least three different positions.

Next get your coach to break the sit spin down for you. And then practice practice, practice.

singerskates

JessicaLynn
11-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Thank you for all of the advice, everyone! I am gaining strength!

Debbie S, don't feel bad about taking FS4 twice. This is my 5th time!! (It was the loop for awhile, so I didn't focus as much on the sit spin. Now that I have the loop, I wish I would have been working on the sit spin, too!!)