View Full Version : PT story

sue123
10-19-2005, 09:13 PM
So for the past month, I've had PT for my knee which I hurt ice skating. Today, he had me do this thing where I had to balance on a bent knee on a piece of foam. He says to me it should be easy since I skate, so I should have good balance. He demonstrates, makes it look really easy, so then it's my turn. I get on, and he says "Wow, you're even shakier than the people with bad ankles who usually go on this thing, where's the balance you need for ice skating?" I tell him, if I had such good balance, I wouldn't have fallen while I was stroking.

Now, I did warn him going into it that I have bad balance on land, and that 2 years ago, I completely shredded my ankle, but he thought, I skate, I have good balance. I think I proved that stereotype wrong.

I go back to the orthopod tomorrow, so hopefully he'll say I can skate again. My neurologist told me to try it, but take it slowly, and if I start to get a headache, or nausea (sp?) or tingling limbs, to get off immediatly, and then let her know. So, if i get the go ahead from the orthopod, hopefully, I'll be able to get to the rink on Sunday, just to stroke around a bit, maybe do a spin or two, and hold off on the jumps since I hurt my landing leg, and I'm not sure how well it would hold up with the G forces that you get when you land. But just to get back on the ice would be divine.

phoenix
10-19-2005, 09:20 PM
I have found that while I have good balance, I don't do well on wobble boards & such. My chiropractor thinks it's because our skates are so stiff, our ankles are actually not that strong--we're used to pressing against a skate to offset wobbles--put you in bare feet in a wobbly environment & you're lost!

icedancer2
10-19-2005, 09:59 PM
I have found that while I have good balance, I don't do well on wobble boards & such. My chiropractor thinks it's because our skates are so stiff, our ankles are actually not that strong--we're used to pressing against a skate to offset wobbles--put you in bare feet in a wobbly environment & you're lost!

I totally agree! I am terrible with balances "on land" as I put it -- put me in a skate on a 3-4mm blade and I am just fine.

Which makes that whole "weak ankles" excuse that non-skaters have just that -- an excuse for not getting out there like the right of us!!

Good luck Sue.