View Full Version : Deborah Burgoyne North American Invitational

w.w.west
10-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Please join us January 21, 2006 for this annual adult competition in Wyandotte, MI. Please note that it is a month earlier due to Adult Nationals and Adult Sectionals being earlier.

We hope you can join us!

http://ic.net/~burgoyne/wyandot/wyandot.htm

P.S. There is a new event added this year "Couples Interpretive".

techskater
10-18-2005, 07:54 PM
wOOHOO! Sounds like the usual fun!

Mel On Ice
10-18-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm excited and nervous, this is my first DBNAI!

manleywoman
10-18-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm probably doing this one! :mrgreen:

mikawendy
10-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Just curious--who is/was Deborah Burgoyne?

flying~camel
10-19-2005, 06:37 AM
I'll be there! :)

sk8er1964
10-19-2005, 08:52 AM
Just curious--who is/was Deborah Burgoyne?

I never met her, because she passed away from cancer before I started skating again, but she was very active in the adult skating community from what I understand. My shared pairs partner was her husband - he started skating pairs with her, as a matter of fact. w.w.west knew her well, I believe.

http://ic.net/~burgoyne/ice/fsc.htm (scroll down to the bottom)

Mel On Ice
10-19-2005, 09:53 AM
f~c, how about that couples interp?

flying~camel
10-19-2005, 10:00 AM
f~c, how about that couples interp?

Maybe... the interp thing is still new to me ;)

Mel On Ice
10-19-2005, 11:34 AM
think of it as couples artistic

flying~camel
10-19-2005, 03:01 PM
think of it as couples artistic

I'm just worried about finding the time between my test program, finishing my new competition program and working on the Christmas show number.

All that, and I only skate 1, sometimes 2, days per week, folks ;)

sk8er1964
10-19-2005, 03:44 PM
The judges probably won't know what to do with couples interp anyway, so why not throw something together and just have fun? I'm trying to talk Michigansk8er into it too, Mel.

Michigansk8er
10-19-2005, 04:37 PM
The judges probably won't know what to do with couples interp anyway, so why not throw something together and just have fun? I'm trying to talk Michigansk8er into it too, Mel.

I plan to be a tree...........and let sk8er1964 do the skating.

Actually, the judges liked it at the high school level last year. I heard several positive comments, and how it was more fun to watch than singles interp. I think right now they like the novelty of it. Soooooo, I'll have the tree costume ready. :lol:

Be sure to save your pennies so we can share a room Saturday night.........and party with that pairs partner of yours........along with Mel & Denise (who need to put that in their plans too).

Mrs Redboots
10-20-2005, 05:46 AM
I plan to be a tree...........and let sk8er1964 do the skating. Oh, is she going to be a small dog, then?

I rather envy you; we had a terrific couples interp piece some years ago, to "Leader of the Pack", and would love to rejig it. Unfortunately, our rink's competition timetable has now changed and that particular cup is now being competed for in the summer, just when we don't have time to get one up and running! Ah well....

Mel On Ice
10-20-2005, 07:58 AM
here's a question, there's an adult skater at my rink that is working on passing her pre-bronze tests, so at this moment, she's a "no test" skater. Can she still enter the pre-bronze event?

flying~camel
10-20-2005, 09:53 AM
here's a question, there's an adult skater at my rink that is working on passing her pre-bronze tests, so at this moment, she's a "no test" skater. Can she still enter the pre-bronze event?

She should be able to... the 1st time I competed there, I hadn't passed Pre-Bronze yet (though I was a YA and had passed Pre-Pre).

I really hope she does come with us! :)

Mel On Ice
10-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Mary Sue's going to be busy choreographing for the lot of us then! Amanda really wants to go. If she does, we should plan to do something special for her, it's her first ever skating comp.

Elsy2
10-20-2005, 11:40 AM
I competed at local comps at the pre-bronze level long before I took the test. As long as the competition announcement says you may skate up a level.

As to memories of Deborah......dear Deborah was the very first person who came up and introduced herself to me at my first competition. She did her best to psych me out, lol!I competed with her several times, and the last time she was so brave. She went out there with barely the strength to get thru the program. But she was a fighter, and she did it. God Bless her.

sk8er1964
10-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Oh, is she going to be a small dog, then?

:lol:

(Too bad the word "small" doesn't apply to me ;) )

flying~camel
10-20-2005, 03:32 PM
The competition announcement says "A competitor in the Adult Pre-Bronze event may have passed no higher than the Adult Pre-Bronze or PrePreliminary Free Skating Test or ISI Freestyle 3" so she should be okay :)

Mary Sue's going to be busy choreographing for the lot of us then! Amanda really wants to go. If she does, we should plan to do something special for her, it's her first ever skating comp.

How about a pre- or post-competition adult beverage extravaganza? ;)

Mel On Ice
10-20-2005, 06:28 PM
betted be post- I can get deep in the knees with a nip of vodka in my belly, but not much else goes well

Michigansk8er
10-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Oh, is she going to be a small dog, then?

Now that would give the judges something to laugh at for sure. :lol:

Michigansk8er
10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
How about a pre- or post-competition adult beverage extravaganza? ;)

I'm sure you can count a few of us in! You're talking coffee, right! :lol: :lol:

pennybeagle
10-23-2005, 10:54 PM
I'll be there barring some kind of disaster. :D

jazzpants
10-23-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm sure you can count a few of us in! You're talking coffee, right! :lol: :lol:Sounds more like the "Irish" type of coffee, perhaps??? ;) :lol: (Maybe even Irish Coffee, minus the coffee?) :twisted: :P

manleywoman
10-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Where is Wyandotte exactly? What's the closest big city? Just trying to gauge how long it will take me to drive. (I'm in Chicago)

sk8ermom
10-29-2005, 12:22 PM
suburb of detroit near dearborn michigan

techskater
10-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Depending on when you leave Chicago, your average speed once you get to Indiana, and how many stops you make, it should take between 5 and 6.5 hours + a 1 hour time change

FSWer
10-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Say the name doesn't sound familar to me. Who is or was...Deborah Bergoyne?

manleywoman
10-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Depending on when you leave Chicago, your average speed once you get to Indiana, and how many stops you make, it should take between 5 and 6.5 hours + a 1 hour time change
Thanks so much!

Mrs Redboots
10-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Say the name doesn't sound familar to me. Who is or was...Deborah Bergoyne?I think you'll find that question has already been asked, and answered, higher up the thread. Basically she was an adult skater who died of cancer about 4-5 years ago.

FSWer
10-30-2005, 02:09 PM
LOL,thanks....found it. Does anyone have any old pictures of her on-line in her skating days?

sk8er1964
10-30-2005, 08:58 PM
LOL,thanks....found it. Does anyone have any old pictures of her on-line in her skating days?

FSWer - check the link I posted early in the thread. Scroll down to get her picture.

w.w.west
11-28-2005, 07:31 PM
I know it's hard to believe, but December is almost here! The deadline for entries is Saturday, December 3!

Hope to see a lot of you in January!

flying~camel
11-28-2005, 08:31 PM
I know it's hard to believe, but December is almost here! The deadline for entries is Saturday, December 3!

Hope to see a lot of you in January!

I'll be sending my entry form in as soon as our test chair signs it for me on Wednesday!

Mel On Ice
11-28-2005, 10:03 PM
I'll be sending my entry form in as soon as our test chair signs it for me on Wednesday!

the envelope is in my mailbox waiting for you and Amanda!

sk8er1964
01-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Schedule's up. http://ic.net/~burgoyne/ice/fsc.htm

No skater lists yet, though. Hopefully sk8stuff will have it soon???

FSWer
01-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Any old pictures of her skating?

pennybeagle
01-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Urg! My event is first thing in the morning again! At least it's not at 8am like one of the other unfortunate competitions I attended in recent memory.

flying~camel
01-08-2006, 08:17 AM
My event is @ 9:40 and ends at 9:50, so I guess there aren't very many people in Bronze I...

Disclaimer: If I skate really badly, it's because I'm coming off of an ankle sprain and will have only had 1 week's worth of practice beforehand!

mikawendy
01-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Any old pictures of her skating?

FSWer, if you click on the link that sk8er1964 posted, then scroll down, you can see a picture of Deborah Burgoyne. She's not on the ice in the picture, but the picture was taken at a skating rink.

sk8er1964
01-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Competitor lists are now up.

http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/cdb/sked_events.asp?cdb=c06naadu&DayWanted=Sat

Beccapoo2003
01-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Have fun everyone! I will miss you. (Someone PLEASE throw some underwear or a Vodka Nip at Bill for me)! Can't wait to hear all about it.
Happy skating,
Becca

sk8er1964
01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Have fun everyone! I will miss you. (Someone PLEASE throw some underwear or a Vodka Nip at Bill for me)! Can't wait to hear all about it.
Happy skating,
Becca

Hmmm. I'd love to, but folks might look at me a bit weird if I did ;) .

If anyone wants to throw a vodka nip during his pairs event, please throw two :D . Underwear, well save that for his singles event 8-) .

Seriously, Beccapoo, we'll miss you too. I enjoyed drinking adult beverages and talking with you at KC. It'd be nice to do that again. You're pretty darn cool.

Mrs Redboots
01-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Hmmm. I'd love to, but folks might look at me a bit weird if I did ;) .

If anyone wants to throw a vodka nip during his pairs event, please throw two :D . Underwear, well save that for his singles event 8-) .ROTFL! Throw some on my behalf, too....

Hey, Becca - I've got some white hair putty for the MC, and will try to get some spray-in colour, too. I know where to buy it and will buy a tube when I see it, rather than wait until the last minute and they've sold out....

manleywoman
01-10-2006, 09:57 AM
I've never heard of the two women I'm competing against in Masters Ladies . . . are they new 21 year olds coming in?

flying~camel
01-10-2006, 10:58 AM
I've never heard of the two women I'm competing against in Masters Ladies . . . are they new 21 year olds coming in?

After looking at their competitive histories on sk8stuff.com, it looks like Linda Aldrich had previously skated Gold for a couple of years and Amber Rostkowski has recently skated in young adult masters and standard track Novice.

sk8er1964
01-10-2006, 01:43 PM
After looking at their competitive histories on sk8stuff.com, it looks like Linda Aldrich had previously skated Gold for a couple of years and Amber Rostkowski has recently skated in young adult masters and standard track Novice.

Where can you find competitive history on sk8stuff?

sk8er1964
01-10-2006, 01:44 PM

Linda generally does only local comps, at least since I've been competing. She's very nice, passed her intermediate free about a year ago.

flying~camel
01-10-2006, 01:46 PM
On this page: http://sk8stuff.com/m_comps.asp. Scroll about 1/2 way down the page and there's a section where you can enter a person's first and last name and pull up their competition results. ;)

sk8er1964
01-10-2006, 03:04 PM
On this page: http://sk8stuff.com/m_comps.asp. Scroll about 1/2 way down the page and there's a section where you can enter a person's first and last name and pull up their competition results. ;)

Wow - that's pretty neat. Never saw that part of the site!

sk8er1964
01-20-2006, 03:18 PM
To everyone driving in for the DBNAI tonight and tomorrow. Please be careful and drive safe - it's supposed to get nasty out there, depending on what part of the state you're driving through (the southern part is supposed to be better).

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USMI0902?from=search_city

manleywoman
01-20-2006, 09:03 PM
I had to withdraw today fromthis event.:cry: I reinjured my neck/shoulder, which was bad enough, but then my husband came down with a fever and I didn't want to leave him. That compunded with the weather was enough to keep me home. Hopefully I'll be ready for Sectionals.

Let me know how the Masters Ladies do! Good luck to everyone!

sk8er1964
01-21-2006, 06:27 PM
I had to withdraw today fromthis event.:cry: I reinjured my neck/shoulder, which was bad enough, but then my husband came down with a fever and I didn't want to leave him. That compunded with the weather was enough to keep me home. Hopefully I'll be ready for Sectionals.

Let me know how the Masters Ladies do! Good luck to everyone!

We missed you, manleywoman. I had a beenie ready for you too.

The young skater finished first -- didn't see all of her program, because I was warming up for the pairs event. I did see a couple solid doubles (toe and one other) and quite good skating.

They had the skater lists up for mids. Unfortunately I can't remember how many champ masters there are -- probably about 10. There's 11 champ golds.

manleywoman
01-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Awww, thanks sk8er1964 for the beanie!

I hope they'll post the Mids list somewhere soon.

Michigansk8er
01-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Sk8er1964,

How'd it go? My drive to the rink at 5:45am on Saturday was quite an adventure. The road crews hadn't been out yet, and a lot of cars were in the ditch. Fortunately, not mine this time. I was going to get to the rink one way or another. It's so good to have my coach back from Nationals!! :D Anyhow, I decided there was no way I was driving to Wyandotte from there, since it was still snowing when I got off the ice. Unbelievable how nice the weather turned out later in the day. Hope you had a great skate. You too Mel!!!!! Sorry I had to miss it.

sk8er1964
01-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, if you look at placements, I sucked (5 out of 5). However, if you look at where I am in my training, the fact that I had a temp of 101 in the middle of the night before (it's down to 99 now), and what I wanted to accomplish, I am very very happy with my performance. I had to really water down the program to be able to get through it, but the presentation (at least the beginnings of what I want to do) was there. I was really slow, which has a lot to do with my placement, I am sure. It was only the fourth time I had run the program all the way through! ;)

Pairs was really cool. My meds had worn off, and my temp was starting to come up a bit before the event. However, I think we did great -- and so did one judge. Put us 2nd! That was the woo hoo of the day. After the event, I went to my car, got a Motrin, and left my keys in the car. Later I'm looking for my keys, can't find them, feared I locked them in the car. Fortunately, even though I left them there, I hadn't locked the car so all was well. Can you tell I was a bit spacy?

Stayed throught the interps. Couples interp was great, especially Paul and Judy. She played a small man wearing a tux, and Paul wore a large pink tutu, going after "him" and carrying "him" around the ice while "he" tried to get away. It was pretty darn funny.

I think the best performance of the interps was Dan. He did his Fiddler on the Roof number, with a twist. He had an annoying announcer talking throughout the performance (ala Dick Button), criticising him for doing singles instead of the triples he had "planned", and saying he wouldn't beat Johnny Weir with a performance like that. It was cool. Apparently he's 63 - at least that's what "Dick" said. He got a well deserved standing ovation.

Didn't stick around for the party. I was failing fast - a pity, because I wanted to be able to spend some time with folks I hadn't had a chance to talk with. Oh well. I was asleep by 8:00 - quite a difference from previous years :cry: . I just hope I didn't give anyone else this flu/cold (or whatever I have).

flo
01-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi,
How were the pairs?

Mel On Ice
01-23-2006, 10:34 AM
I skated great, although placements indicate everyone skated great too. Not only was I in a tough group, I was, both times, in the largest flights of the whole competition. I did my first camel and attitude spin in competition and controlled my nerves to land loops in both programs, a victory since I usually cut those to half-loops.

I loved meeting more and more adult skaters since this was my first DBNAI.

flying~camel
01-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Well, if you look at placements, I sucked (5 out of 5).
Well, I got 3rd out of 3, so I feel your pain (although 1 judge did have me in 2nd!)! Still, I think I skated well under the circumstances (recap: I've only been back on the ice for 1 week after spraining my ankle just before Christmas) so I'm content with the placements.

Skating aside, I had a fantastic time! Most memorable to me will be Mel On Ice "dancing naked in our souls", singing happy birthday to Erica after her freeskate and everyone singing along with Chandra & Steven's couples interp music! :)

Now, I really can't wait til Dallas! :D

Mel On Ice
01-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Most memorable to me will be Mel On Ice "dancing naked in our souls"

Do I look like Tiffany Stiegler to you!?

You were wonderful and a trooper, I was so proud that you landed most of your jumps.