View Full Version : Free outdoor public rink in NY

MQSeries
10-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Hey,

I just read in the paper today that a new ice-skating rink behind the NY Public Library (42nd Street between 5th and 6th avenues) will operate from 10/28 - 1/16, and the skating is free :bow: . Rental skates cost $7.50.

dbny
10-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Hey,

I just read in the paper today that a new ice-skating rink behind the NY Public Library (42nd Street between 5th and 6th avenues) will operate from 10/28 - 1/16, and the skating is free :bow: . Rental skates cost $7.50.

Yes, that's the rink in Bryant Park. Too bad they are supplying rentals. The rink at Empire Plaza, in Albany, is also free and they don't have rentals, so it's empty!

NoVa Sk8r
10-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Here are a couple of articles discussing the plan:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/06/nyregion/06rink.html?ex=1286251200&en=7c23d48359cde70f&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/352578p-300637c.html

jazzpants
10-16-2005, 10:03 PM
So any of you guy who are in that neck of the woods come this Christmas up for skating with me at Bryant park while I'm in town too? :twisted: :P

Shinn-Reika
10-16-2005, 10:33 PM
I might. It depends if my family will be spending christmas in NY or not. IF so I want to try and go on a crusade to skate in all of the ice rinks in the city. Especially since I've never been skating outdoors.

BelleOnIce
10-17-2005, 01:43 PM
hey, I know its not at Christmas but I thought since you all know about NY you are probably the best people to ask!

I am going to NYC in February for my 21st birthday and I was just wondering if you can tell me what rink's if any will still be open at that time of year?

I'll be coming all the way from Scotland so I dont want to take my skates all that way if there will be no rinks open!!

Thanks

Belle

Isk8NYC
10-17-2005, 02:01 PM
February's still cold enough here (dress warm) that the outdoor rinks like Central Park and Rockefeller Center are still open. Most outdoor rinks close in March or April, depending on the weather. Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers is indoors, so it's open year-round.

jazzpants
10-17-2005, 02:02 PM
hey, I know its not at Christmas but I thought since you all know about NY you are probably the best people to ask!

I am going to NYC in February for my 21st birthday and I was just wondering if you can tell me what rink's if any will still be open at that time of year?

I'll be coming all the way from Scotland so I dont want to take my skates all that way if there will be no rinks open!!
Well, I'm not from NYC, but I'm almost sure that Chelsea Piers will still be open by Feb. (It's a year round rink!) I don't know if Central Park will still be opened by then.

Speaking of which... OH BOY!!! I see that there's a Zam Cam on the Central Park's website. Can you say I'm definitely gonna get psyched for this trip??? :mrgreen:

BelleOnIce
10-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Cool, I really want to go to Rockafeller centre!
My only problem is I am only going from the friday to monday as it's in the middle of my uni term so I have so much I want to pack in!!

Thanks

Belle

Isk8NYC
10-17-2005, 02:50 PM
That's actually a pretty good time of the year to go to Rock Center. The holiday crowds have died down by then. There are still lines to get into the rink, but they're not 2-3 hours long like January.

jazzpants
10-17-2005, 05:43 PM
There are still lines to get into the rink, but they're not 2-3 hours long like January.Or even two days after Christmas! :evil: :frus: (Long story... needless to say, Rockefeller Center is NOT on my list of rinks to skate this Christmas.)

FrankR
10-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Or even two days after Christmas! :evil: :frus: (Long story... needless to say, Rockefeller Center is NOT on my list of rinks to skate this Christmas.)

I've passed by Rockefeller Center several times the past few years and although the ambience and scenery are wonderful, especially during the holidays, the ice has looked terrible each time. (No offense to the good folks who run the rink at Rockefeller Center) There were deep ruts and it looked like the ice hadn't been resurfaced in hours if at all during the day. Nevertheless, it didn't keep people from skating and having fun.

Frank

jazzpants
10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
I've passed by Rockefeller Center several times the past few years and although the ambience and scenery are wonderful, especially during the holidays, the ice has looked terrible each time. (No offense to the good folks who run the rink at Rockefeller Center) There were deep ruts and it looked like the ice hadn't been resurfaced in hours if at all during the day. Nevertheless, it didn't keep people from skating and having fun.Depends on what your definition of *fun* is. :twisted:

I will refer you guys to my notes from last year's trip to NYC (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=16264&highlight=Rockefeller+Center)

Okay, I also own up to being injured as a slight contribution to my not having much fun on the ice last year. Not to mention some kid stepping on my husband's foot at Rockefeller...with his SKATES (which as you can imagine is quite painful and slight bloody...) *AND* the kid didn't even apologize!!! :evil:

icedancer2
10-17-2005, 07:23 PM
I skated at Rockerfeller Center once -- it was March, it was drizzling, there were no lines, I paid $11 (in 1987!!) and had a BLAST!!!!!

The ice wasn't great, but it just felt so cool to be skating there....

(icedancer, skating away in her memories... 8-) )

blisspix
10-18-2005, 11:55 PM
I liked Wollman in Central Park - it was fun to skate outdoors though there were some nasty bits where leaves had been trapped in the ice. But if you get there after a resurface, it's quite nice. And location can't be beat :) Do be sure to wear your guards right to the ice though, it can be dirty. Go with a friend to avoid exorbitant locker rental charge (and have your friend wait outside to avoid spectator charge).

I went in late March.

Skip Rockefeller - full of showoffs, too small, and awful ice. I've never seen such madness at a rink. I was planning on going and decided not too when I saw the crowd. I walked by about 5 times to stickybeak and take photos, and that was enough for me. I didn't want to nick my new blades.

Skating in NYC, or skating outdoors anywhere is so wonderful. I've only had two opportunities to skate outside in my whole life, once at Wollman and once at Millennium Park Chicago, both this year. The last outdoor winter rink in Australia went many years ago, and I never got a chance to skate on it.

BelleOnIce
10-19-2005, 05:42 AM
Well I have always wanted to go to Rockafeller so may still go depending on how it looks when I get there?
Plus the whole aspect of not runing my blades, there are still quite newish to me?
I think I will enjoy even the whole atmosphere and excitment for me being in New York, the only out door rinks I have access to are seasonal ones (fair enough most are) but I mean for 3 weeks coming up to Christmas and thats about it, they are small, VERY crowded and the surface is terrible!! (I dont think the rain in Scotland helps it very much?)
The Central Park rinks have been recommended more than Rockafeller so I will probably try to go there!

Thanks for the comments!!
Belle

jazzpants
10-19-2005, 09:27 AM
How are the public sessions at Wollman (Central Park) during the holiday weeks? I remembered that the public sessions were also very crowded but the FS sessions in the mornings were still very, VERY nice!!!

I have a feeling this rink will likely be filled too, so I might skip it. I made a vow not to wait 2 hrs in line for anything, not even Rockefeller now. Just not worth spending my time while I'm there. (Of course, I should mentioned that if you have never been there, go for the experience and say you've been there. But once you have been there, you'll know exactly WHY you don't want to go there.

And oh, yeah, as blisspix says, bring a friend to watch your stuff!!! Storage is EXPENSIVE!!! 8O

MQSeries
10-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Washington D.C. has a very nice circular outdoor rink in front of one of the Art Museum. If I work downtown I would probably try to use that one during lunch hour. I think the Pentagon Mall also has an outdoor one in the Winter. I've never skated outdoor. I think I'd prefer indoor with zero chill factor :)