View Full Version : Does anyone have any tips for split jumps?

*JennaD*
10-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Hey!

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get better height and split in split jumps?

Thanks!

-Jenna

Joan
10-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Are you familiar with the Magic of Style videos, by Margreth Frei? Vol. 2 has a section on split jumps that I think is quite good. I can try to describe it, but probably won't do it justice. The description assumes you are a counterclockwise spinner and jumper, like most people. First, to get the timing, stand by the boards with your left side to the boards. Reach your right leg back to pick into the ice and at the same time, grab the boards with your right hand, start turning your body, and kick your left leg up and forward in the direction of the jump. Do this just slightly before you kick your right leg behind you. The left leg should land slightly before your right and then you end the jump on your right foot, usually as a forward inside three turn to back edge.

Clear as mud?

Also, do stretching at home to get as limber as possible.

mikawendy
10-16-2005, 11:23 AM
On a related note, any tips for getting more of a split position in the air, either in a split jump or a falling leaf? I can get a good leg position off ice, and when I'm hanging onto the boards, but my leg position when I do the jump on the ice is just not very good... I'm guessing that means it's a strength and power issue, since I *can* get the position off ice.

vesperholly
10-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Well, if you can do a good split off ice, that might not mean beans when it comes to on the ice. Splits on the floor benefit from gravity pulling you down and pushing your legs against the floor. It's definitely a strength issue.

cutiesk8r43
10-16-2005, 08:57 PM
my problem is getting my legs to split once im in the air :roll:
~Cutie ;)

The Ice Demon
10-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Here's a link to a previous thread on split jumps that may help

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=17664&highlight=split+jumps

They key to a good split is to really pop up into the position as quickly as you can and of course as has been said strength is almost more important than flexibility - I'm not flexible but have the strength to get my legs 'up and out' so the position still looks good.

Have fun - they're one of my favourite moves - always have to end a good skate with a split jump.:P

doubletoe
10-17-2005, 05:30 PM
It's mostly timing and technique with the split jump.

To warm up your takeoff, first do several big flip jumps from a mohawk entrance, with lots of speed.

Now for the split jump itself:

1. Get lots of speed and go into a nice straight RFI mohawk.
2. On the mohawk exit, get low on the left knee (assuming you rotate CCW) and reach way back to pick, just like you're going to do a huge flip jump.
3. Dig the pick in and pull yourself back so that your left foot catches up to your right foot.
4. BUT unlike the flip, you keep the left foot coming back, PAST your right foot, and open up the entire left side of your body so you are reaching out in the direction of travel with your left arm and left foot. The trick is to have this motion be one powerful, continuous sweep. You do NOT take off, then try to split as a separate motion. It is the weight and momentum of your left skate that acts like a pendulum and helps you split that leg.
5. By the time you leave the ice, the left foot should already be opened out and extending forward, with your left arm parallel to it and your face facing forward, too. Now pull both legs up, HARD, in one concentrated effort, in order to get a big, even split.

mikawendy
10-17-2005, 08:24 PM
You do NOT take off, then try to split as a separate motion. It is the weight and momentum of your left skate that acts like a pendulum and helps you split that leg.

Thanks for the tips, doubletoe. Does this same principle (of using momentum of skate) also apply to a falling leaf?

starskate6.0
10-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the tips, doubletoe. Does this same principle (of using momentum of skate) also apply to a falling leaf?

Hi Mika

From one who loves this jump and is not very flexable :( I have been able to do a great russian followed by an easy double toe...Why ? Its all in the split not the double at the end. I have found that if the Russian split is not a good position in the air nothing else you do there after will matter worth a lick... :( Here is my advise , everything doubletoe said was absolutly right. But i might add its all in the back not just the legs.

A strait back after the mohawk and a pause just before you pick, arms strait, head up, and you will lift your legs and hips to meet your arms and the upper body remains up. Very few skaters touch there toes. The idea is not to reach for your toes, that will cause you to bend over and thus bend your back and thats where you loose it..same goe's for a standed split. Just keep your back strait ,pick split ,land on the left pick, right inside edge, do an inside three and bend for control of the outside edge comeing out of it..

simple Good luck.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ross

doubletoe
10-18-2005, 11:29 AM

I would imagine so, but I haven't yet figured out the trick to getting that momentum on the falling leaf. I find it so much easier to do it on the split jump from the mohawk flip entrance!

doubletoe
10-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi Mika

But i might add its all in the back not just the legs.

A straight back after the mohawk and a pause just before you pick, arms strait, head up, and you will lift your legs and hips to meet your arms and the upper body remains up. Very few skaters touch there toes. The idea is not to reach for your toes, that will cause you to bend over and thus bend your back and thats where you loose it..same goe's for a standed split. Just keep your back strait ,pick split ,land on the left pick, right inside edge, do an inside three and bend for control of the outside edge comeing out of it..

Ross

Yes, you need a rigid, arched back as you reach back to pick, and the upper body stays straight in the air. But if you can do a big flip jump from a mohawk entrance with lots of speed going in, then you are already doing that.

kayskate
11-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I would imagine so, but I haven't yet figured out the trick to getting that momentum on the falling leaf. I find it so much easier to do it on the split jump from the mohawk flip entrance!

Just read this thread in a link from a current one.

I have tried a falling leaf w/ the momentum of the free leg you mentioned. I skate CW, so I will describe it that way otherwise, I will make to many directional errors.

For CW, skate fast back xovers and shoot across the back of the rink and into the corner. You are prepping for a loop, or so it will appear. As you take-off, turn your body to face forward and swing your free leg forward. The swing can actually gain momentum by lifting it off the ice while you are still gliding backward. As you deepen the take-off edge, swing the leg through and turn as you jump. This will scare you, I promise. Push hard with the employed leg and lift it behind you. If it freaks you out too much , just start w. a stag until you become comfortable w/ the speed and swing.

Kay

Isk8NYC
11-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Kay - I like your journal.

One of the keys to the split jump is to have a very solid landing. Make sure that you practice really high and fast 1/2 flips and that you check out the landing extremely well. Somehow, I got over my split jump fears once I mastered the landing, which can very easily overrotate or get out of control.

mikawendy
11-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Did anyone see Nobunari Oda in Skate Canada when it aired on television? I saw a tape of his long program, and it looked like he had a delayed/open 1/2 flip in it. It looked was similar to a 1/2 flip or a split jump in the setup, but his legs were not in a split position or anything that looked like a 1/2 flip.

(Or perhaps he did a toe walley--come to think of it, he skates CCW, and I think the BI edge he was taking off from might have been RBI, which would make it a toe walley...)

I ran the tape back and watched it a few times in slow motion, but still couldn't figure it out...

Whatever it was, it looked really cool--it had a very rounded, airy look to it.