View Full Version : Adult Pair Skating, Has Anyone started this as an Adult

rf3ray
10-16-2005, 04:44 AM
Hey got asked by a girl in her mid 20s if I would be interested in doing pairs, just wondering if any adults have done this passage as and adult?

samba
10-16-2005, 07:34 AM
Hey got asked by a girl in her mid 20s if I would be interested in doing pairs, just wondering if any adults have done this passage as and adult?
I started pairs at the age of 45 and we skated together in competition for 7 years and had a wonderful time. Its a good idea to get to know each other first and try not to blame each other too much when things go wrong (I cant believe I just said that).

Good Luck
Grace

mikawendy
10-16-2005, 11:21 AM
You might want to ask NoVa Sk8r, LoopLoop, flo, and others here on the forum about their experiences as adult pair skaters. (I know there are others, I didn't mean to leave any of you out....) The adult pair skaters that I know just love it.

Beccapoo2003
10-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Also Rob and Jenny from Atlanta, who are skating in the Halloween Classic in Aston, PA., WHICH BY THE WAY IS HUGE THIS YEAR!! Way Kool!
Becca

mikawendy
10-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Also Rob and Jenny from Atlanta, who are skating in the Halloween Classic in Aston, PA., WHICH BY THE WAY IS HUGE THIS YEAR!! Way Kool!
Becca

Becca--will you be at Halloween Classic, either as a skater or a spectator? I'll be skating there (my first competition ever).

Mrs Redboots
10-16-2005, 12:27 PM
The only current pairs at my rink are two adult pairs, all four of whom started skating as adults. In fact, one pair are still total beginners, although they have done at least one programme, but very tentative.

A third pair is still skating, but no longer together - they are man and wife, but his back gave out about 18 months ago, and although he still skates, and has helped us a great deal with our free dance skills (some elements are very transferable!) and with the Interpretive Pairs piece we did last winter, he has got too old to lift his wife as he used (he is well into his 70s!). She is still fit, but is working mostly on ice dance these days.

We would do Interpretive Pairs, but neither of us is strong enough as a free skater to be able to do "true" Pairs; nor do we really have the time.

skaternum
10-16-2005, 01:13 PM
I started skating at 31, and I started skating pairs at about 36 or 37. I'm currently 40; my partner is 43. There's a growing number of adult pair teams in the U.S. (Andrea Cooper keeps an unofficial database, and she reports there are 30 teams now.)

flo
10-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Hi,
I started skating around 30, and shortly after started pairs. So I basically learned to skate and competed first in pairs, then did solo fs. It was great, and now I can guide to anyone. I competed up to and including the masters level and had a great time. Because of my level and the constantly changing pair rules it's very difficult to find a partner now. I spend more time teaching!
It's great fun if you have the chance and a good sense of humor!

samba
10-16-2005, 02:32 PM
A third pair is still skating, but no longer together - they are man and wife, but his back gave out about 18 months ago, and although he still skates, and has helped us a great deal with our free dance skills (some elements are very transferable!) and with the Interpretive Pairs piece we did last winter, he has got too old to lift his wife as he used (he is well into his 70s!). She is still fit, but is working mostly on ice dance these days.

I guess this is the couple that used to give us a regular pasting, what a lovely couple they are, do give my regards to them when you see them again, I still owe them a letter, must knuckle down and send one.

Cheers
Grace

Beccapoo2003
10-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi mikawendy! Yes, I'll be at the Halloween Classic in Aston.
Congrats to you for entering your first competition! :D Please let yourself be known, so we all can meet you and cheer for you! And please come watch the pairs!
Becca

Mrs Redboots
10-16-2005, 04:46 PM
I guess this is the couple that used to give us a regular pasting, what a lovely couple they are, do give my regards to them when you see them again, I still owe them a letter, must knuckle down and send one.

Cheers
GraceYes, I think they always won the Pairs Trophy at Bracknell until they retired last year! Whereupon it was won by the next best Streatham couple, much to their surprise..... has it ever been won by a non-Streatham couple?

(Adult pairs rule, okay?)

NoVa Sk8r
10-17-2005, 12:21 AM
Hey got asked by a girl in her mid 20s if I would be interested in doing pairs, just wondering if any adults have done this passage as and adult?Run away! ... Run fast and far! :mrgreen:

Loops and I started pairs lessons in Feb. 2004; I was 28. We had played around on public session just doing side-by-side jumps and spins. Her coach (a former pairs skater from Canada) taught us a few things out of the goodness of his heart, and we've stuck with it (though we have another coach).
I say give it a whirl. You'd be surprised at all the new and cool things you can do. I never thought I'd be able to do a pair camel or a split twist but perseverence helped me rope these suckers.
Although there's a lot of http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/upset_smiley.gif and http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/duel.gif we have a lot of fun, and we're pleased as punch when we can look halfway decent.

While I never expect to do side-by-side doubles or a lateral double twist or a platter lift, I've had lots of fun trying.
And the training in pairs has definitely helped my singles skating--although I seemed to have also doubled my injury rate. http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/stars.gif http://degiorgi.math.hr/forum/images/smiles/bolizub.gif

starskate6.0
10-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Becca--will you be at Halloween Classic, either as a skater or a spectator? I'll be skating there (my first competition ever).

Good for you Mika :mrgreen: Look forward to see you there. Im doing pairs interp for the first time.

Ross

CanAmSk8ter
10-18-2005, 10:51 AM

I haven't but I SO want to try it! Now that the adult age limit was lowered I'm old enough, but I don't know of any adult guys in my area who have the interest, skills, and build. I'm only 5'1", so it's been in the back of my mind for years, but I'm planning to compete in adult freestyle this year (I've been doing only dance for the last four or five) and hopefully meet someone.