View Full Version : Junior Moves for Adults

Novice Spirals
10-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Are any of you working on Junior moves? I just learned them and I can't imagine testing them. They are fun, but not under pressure, I imagine. Do you think they will be helpful for my free skating.?

manleywoman
10-09-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm working on them, but not hardcore right now. I hope to test them next summer once the adult competitive season is over. I think any moves/footwork training is goood for freeskating.

vesperholly
10-10-2005, 03:35 AM
I just started working on them this summer. They're hard but I find much easier than the Novice test! :giveup: My biggest challenge is the power pulls into rockers - I can do the move, but I lose a ton of speed and only make it about 2/3 of the way down before I stop completely.

Don't get down on yourself about testing - I never thought I could even test Novice, let alone pass, and yet here I am. You can do it! They are definitely helpful for freestyle, so keep working on them.

Mrs Redboots
10-10-2005, 06:19 AM
My biggest challenge is the power pulls into rockers - I can do the move, but I lose a ton of speed and only make it about 2/3 of the way down before I stop completely..Are these done on one foot, or on two? Here, they are done 2-footed on the highest (current) Field Moves test, and are a lot less easy than they look.... I can sort-of do them, but VERY sort-of.

jenlyon60
10-10-2005, 07:21 AM
They're done on 1 foot, diagonally the length of the rink. And the skater is expected to not lose any speed (or very very little) during the pattern.

Basically after the intro steps, the skater goes down the rink diagonally on 1 foot, doing the pattern (pull-pull-pull-twist-twist, etc.) then around the end of the rink and back down the other diagonal on the other foot.

Mrs Redboots
10-10-2005, 12:57 PM
They're done on 1 foot, diagonally the length of the rink. And the skater is expected to not lose any speed (or very very little) during the pattern.

Basically after the intro steps, the skater goes down the rink diagonally on 1 foot, doing the pattern (pull-pull-pull-twist-twist, etc.) then around the end of the rink and back down the other diagonal on the other foot.Sooner you than me, then! We do have some moves a bit like that, done on the diagonal, but I'm not yet at the stage when I can even tell what the skater is supposed to be doing, never mind emulate them!

coskater64
10-10-2005, 06:18 PM
I have been on them for about a year and have tested them once. I have trouble with the deep edges required on the choctaws but the rest get better with practice. I also do them in my dance blades at full speed to work on being more solid, I find it helps.

jenlyon60
10-10-2005, 08:09 PM
I can't come close to being able to do them (I can sort of do the choctaw sequence though)

Sooner you than me, then! We do have some moves a bit like that, done on the diagonal, but I'm not yet at the stage when I can even tell what the skater is supposed to be doing, never mind emulate them!

Novice Spirals
10-10-2005, 08:58 PM
I so far can do the rockers pretty well, but the choctaws will be awhile. The power circles are the only thing I feel confident doing right now. How I miss the spirals, as my name would attest! I hope I make it to Senior Moves so I can perform spirals again!

Summerkid710
10-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm only working on Intermediate moves (as an adult) but I miss spirals, too. I'm looking forward to the Novice pattern. The test session is in the beginning of November so hopefully I'll be moving up soon.