View Full Version : stag split

froggy
10-08-2005, 07:58 PM
I'm doing a half flip and I'm wondering if I could manage a stag split. Any tips for those of you who do them?

thanks and happy skating :D

Isk8NYC
10-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Well, if you have a GOOD half-flip you might manage the stag jump. The split jump is a little harder.

The stag position in the air is with your leading knee bent and raised, the trailing leg straight and stretched behind. The arms are stretched forward (leading) and backward (trailing). Practice off-ice jumping into this position. You really have to be quick about it since you set the position as you take off. The jump peaks in perfect position, then you have to get back into the half-flip landing check.

Height really helps in this jump since it gives you time to land it without damage.

On-ice, think about leading with the (assuming you turn CCW) left arm/shoulder and the bent left knee. The hips are open, obviously.

sunshinepointe
10-09-2005, 01:04 PM
You can also try a stag ballet jump to get the feeling of it - I found the ballet stag much less intimidating where as the half-flip type split jump requires much more height and precision