View Full Version : FYI for skaters in Maryland area

mikawendy
10-08-2005, 07:38 PM
FYI to skaters in the Maryland area--Mt. Pleasant Ice Arena in Baltimore has had a power outage related to heavy rainstorms in the area, and the rink will not be open on Sunday 10/9. It's unsure whether the coming week's schedule will also be affected.

flo
10-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Not a good weekend for skating. Ice Club at NW was also cancelled due to the rain. The rink was evacuated at 8:00am.
grr.

Debbie S
10-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Latest is that Mt. P may be closed for up to a month - major ice problems. I got a call from my coach earlier. So it looks like several trips to the far rink next week, in the evenings, which I hate - but that may be the only place I can have a lesson next week.

It looks like the only time this week I can skate is a Wed noontime session at the far rink due to Yom Kippur. I was going to skate at Mt. P today - grrr.

Flo, happy to hear NW wasn't flooded this time!

jenlyon60
10-10-2005, 12:59 PM
BTW Debbie -- still no luck on tracking down Paul F. re sharpenings.

I ended up getting Curt at Reston to do my skates and the sharpening turned out pretty decent. I gave him explicit directions as to what I wanted done.

There was a bit of my bottom toe pick removed, but I'm not sure if that had been done previously or not.

I've also heard that there's a guy at Ashburn (not sure of name) who does a good job on non-hockey blades.

flo
10-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi Debbie,
You're welcome to join us at club. Actually next Saturday is open house, so there will be no guest fee, though it may be crowded.

mdvask8r
10-10-2005, 01:59 PM
The guy at Ashburn is gone -- don't know where.
Steve at Fairfax is super.

mikawendy
10-10-2005, 03:21 PM
BTW Debbie -- still no luck on tracking down Paul F. re sharpenings.

A friend of mine went to him in April or May and got a great sharpening from him. However, when I e-mailed him later in the summer to ask about sharpenings, he told me he had closed his shop and was no longer doing sharpenings.

Debbie S
10-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Latest on Mt. Pleasant, from the skating director's mouth (I talked to her earlier): the rink will be open next week! (Jazz, is there a smilie for "Phew!"?) In fact, she said there was a chance it could open on Thurs, but more likely on Fri. She said there is a hole in the ice ( 8O ) and they are fixing it.

Good news for me, and all of the Regionals-bound kids that go to the early morning practice sessions (I know of at least one).