View Full Version : Jackson Boot Sizing

Isk8NYC
10-08-2005, 06:12 AM
I just bought my oldest new Jackson Freestyle skates. I got them because hers were getting soft and they're two years old now. She complained that they were tight. I had the pro shop measure her and they said she needed an 8-1/2 regular width. Oddly enough, that's the same size she was wearing!

I compared the innersoles and I was surprised to find that the innersole of the new skate was longer and wider than the old ones. Yet they're the same printed size! The new sole is a sturdy foam, the old one was just a thin Dr. Schol's layer.

Just be aware when you're buying skates. I guess they've resized their skates to make them larger. Your usual size 7 may be too big - you might need a size 6-1/2!

FYI.

Skate@Delaware
10-08-2005, 02:43 PM
That's probably what happened to my skates! I had them ordered, 1/2 size smaller than my other skates (I lost weight & my feet got smaller as well). I got them in April, then my pro shop closed.....when I skated on them, I noticed that they seemed a bit loose. I figured they were stiff, so I cranked the laces down some more, then some more, and so on. My footbeds show that I have room at the ends and on the sides (more on the ends)....but because I've had them so long, they can't be exchanged. :frus: (stupid proshop had to close for the summer....)

I really crank my laces down now just to make them fit, but nothing can be done about the length. I wax my laces so they stay snug, and have put in heel grippers.

Can you see about exchanging them for a smaller size since they don't fit?

Isk8NYC
10-08-2005, 03:22 PM
My daughter's old skates were too small, so the same-size-but-bigger resizing was in her favor. It just made the buying process confusing! The woman in the pro shop said, "Well, you don't really want to spend money on new skates the same size, do you?" I had to show her the insoles to convince her that they were larger! And, after two years of skating, she was due for new skates.

Interestingly enough, the pro shop said they couldn't get Jackson Freestyles for my little ones. The distributor said they weren't getting them in for some time. Maybe Jackson's resizing or redesigning that line, so there's a production delay.

I have her OLD skates, which are too big for me, but I'm going to change the insole and see if I can use them for outdoor rinks, just to save my good blades.

A friend taught me to put a second insole (like a Dr. Scholl's) underneath the skate's original insole. It moves the foot up slightly and makes skates fit better. Give it a try - it can't hurt.

Skate@Delaware
10-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Waaaay ahead of you there-I actually cut up a mousepad to fit under the ball of the foot area only and that helped. I don't want to put any more "padding" in the boot. My last pair had 3 fat insoles (I've lost a lot of weight) and I couldn't really feel the ice....understand what I mean? So I wax my laces and crank them down. :roll:

Hey, I just had a thought-I bet my feet fit into "normal" sizes-I could get those softec skates! heh-heh-heh! Uschi had them on at the Adult edge workshop (and even jumped in them).....of course, they would look weird in the ice show......

Skate@Delaware
10-08-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm posting again to add: Went to the Cyclone Taylor website (to look for clearance dresses) and looked at the clearance on boots. Their site did mention that the 2004 Jackson boots were "redesigned" whatever that means. So, they might have been resized, in addition to all the other changes that were made.

Isk8NYC
10-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Waaaay ahead of you there-I actually cut up a mousepad to fit under the ball of the foot area only and that helped.

A MOUSEPAD? You were really mis-measured, what a shame. I agree with you: save up for new skates.

I'm hanging onto my older daughter's now-retired skates for a little while: I think they might fit her father. If they do, I'll get some paint from Rainbo Sports and make them black!

slusher
10-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Interestingly enough, the pro shop said they couldn't get Jackson Freestyles for my little ones. The distributor said they weren't getting them in for some time. Maybe Jackson's resizing or redesigning that line, so there's a production delay.

I ordered Freestyles for one of my kids, the last week of July. We got them the last week of September. They had to come from the factory and we were quoted a 3 week wait originally. Now that they're here, they're fine, they actually seem a littler stiffer than expected but that's a good thing.

Thanks for the tip on insoles also. I too have the "lostweight-feetshrunk" problem .

Skate@Delaware
10-11-2005, 11:32 AM
A MOUSEPAD? You were really mis-measured, what a shame. I agree with you: save up for new skates.

I'm hanging onto my older daughter's now-retired skates for a little while: I think they might fit her father. If they do, I'll get some paint from Rainbo Sports and make them black!
Either that-or use shoe-dye.
Yup, a mousepad! It was just thick enough.....stupid boots!
I'm thinking of getting customs when my weight settles....I'm thinking that it has to be the same for about 2 years, then I'm safe (watch-it will be the same, I'll get sick and have to go on predisone and balloon up :evil: ; maybe I'll take Dexatrim if that happens!)