View Full Version : Which Blade would you suggest ?

luckeylasvegas
09-26-2005, 12:18 AM
My 8 year old daughter is getting new Super Teri's. This is the first time that we are buying a boot and blade seperately. She is in ISI FS 5 right now and is working on her Axel and Double Sal. I was thinking maybe the Coronation Comets would be good but I'd like to hear opinions from others.

Skate@Delaware
09-26-2005, 07:03 AM
I would ask her coach for a recommendation first since the coach knows you daughter and what would work best for her. If she has no preference, then the Comets are good (I have them-they are relatively flat and a good blade for doubles).

phoenix
09-26-2005, 12:11 PM
There are TONS of discussions re. blades & boots (ad nauseum!!) over on the On Ice messages.

twokidsskatemom
09-26-2005, 03:01 PM
we are using a terri boot, with an mk pro blade.We like both of them.This is her first terri boot but second mk pro blade.
Good luck !!

Lenny2
09-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Coronation Ace is a great blade for this level. My daughter, who is at intermediate now working on double axels and triples, stayed in Coronation Ace until she went into Gold Seals. Most skaters in our area start with the Coronation Ace until they spring for the Gold Seals at about the time they are getting secure with most of their doubles.

icedancer2
09-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Coronation Ace is a great blade for this level. My daughter, who is at intermediate now working on double axels and triples, stayed in Coronation Ace until she went into Gold Seals. Most skaters in our area start with the Coronation Ace until they spring for the Gold Seals at about the time they are getting secure with most of their doubles.

I always think that the Coronation Ace is the best blade for this level.

luckeylasvegas
09-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Thanks for your replys. Her coach prefers the MK Pro but tidewaterice had the comet for $29.00 more dollars so the penny pincher in me thought it would be a better value.

Mrs Redboots
09-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks for your replys. Her coach prefers the MK Pro but tidewaterice had the comet for $29.00 more dollars so the penny pincher in me thought it would be a better value.I honestly don't think there's much difference between the two blades, as far as I'm aware.

Lenny2
09-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Regarding the Coronation Comet, you need to understand that it has an 8 1/2 foot radius - the most you can get- which may make spinning more difficult, especially for a young skater. It also has a straight cut toe pick which seems to not be recommended by some. The Coronation Ace has a more standard 7 foot radius and criss cross blade pattern. Most younger skaters find that, when they go into the Ace, spins become much easier.

Lenny2
09-28-2005, 12:30 PM
One caveat--I read this post on another board and have no idea whether there is any truth to it:

"I have to add a caveat to this post. A few years ago I switched from
Coronation Aces to MK Pros, and had a very difficult time adjusting. I was
told by a couple of skate technicians that at the time there seemed to be
some quality control problems at the MK Pros factory, to the point where
pairs of blades were being sent out that had different curves on them
(i.e. one blade was not identical in shape to the other). I switched back
to Coronation Aces and am very happy with them.

I don't know if things have gotten better at the MK Pro factory, but you
might want to have a knowledgeable skate shop check the blades carefully
before you make the change."

Just food for thought.