View Full Version : Junior pairs - Protection

Oz_sk8ing_Mum
08-26-2005, 03:13 AM
H there,

Can anyone tell me if the Junior pairs in other parts of the world (i'm in Oz) wear any kind of protection...I'm thinking of some kind of soft helmet for the girl?. Anyone know?? :)

Thanks

brown
08-26-2005, 06:37 AM
In Canada, I have not seen any pair team use protection, but I know some have used helmets (just haven't seen it).

It's best to concentrate on the coach. There are no guarantees of safety. However, a good coach will not allow anything dangerous to happen. Most lifts and even throws (the two really big dangers) should be done off - ice repeatedly before attempted on ice.

batikat
08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm in UK and I've never seen any pairs use any sort of protection. NISA have now ruled that the (UK) Novice pairs test can only be taken by those with level 4 or over tests, to ensure pair teams have a good level of basic skatign before they start to do lifts and throws.

A good coach is vital and off-ice practice for everything.

My kids skated together and it was quite scary to watch sometimes but they never had a serious fall (plenty of falls but no major injuries). They were 12 and 10 at the time and started when they only had level 2 but the coach was always very careful - the main problem was other people getting in the way during lifts etc.