View Full Version : How Many Male Skaters Do You Have at Your RINK

rf3ray
08-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Just wondering how many male skaters there are at your rink, breaking them up into two catergories

How many are there at your rink that are under 17
and How many are there that are 18+ Over
and how many male freestyle skaters do you have and how many male dance skaters

Just wondering how many of us guys there are.

MQSeries
08-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Do you mean during the club freestyle session or the public session?

skaternum
08-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Hmm. I can only answer for the morning figure skating sessions at my rink.

Males 17 and under: 4 (all freestylers, but one also does dance)
Males 18+: 3 (all freestylers, but one also does dance)

jazzpants
08-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Oh, geez, I could only count the grownups and the kids I see...

We have at LEAST a good couple of dozen male skaters!!! I remember seeing at least 4 skaters that are under 18. The rest of them (I'm counting up to 10 that I remembered off the cast list in the Fire & Ice (http://www.skateout.org/) Show and off the top of my head) are grownups. Almost all of them are good enough to skate the FS session! :D One does pairs... a good handful from the coffee club sessions does ice dancing. Rest of them does FS. (Count one more if you wanna count my primary coach, who's "retired" but does occasionally compete.)

And we need MORE male freestyle skaters!!! We love 'em!!! Keep 'em coming!!! :mrgreen:

froggy
08-05-2005, 12:39 PM
during the public session, we have just 2 regulars 18+ and none under that age category, every now and then there is 1 more 18+ freestyle and 1 18+ dance; the rest are females and kids.

singerskates
08-05-2005, 12:50 PM
At the moment, we have no skaters at our rink skating on club ice. We're on vacation. LOL

18+ figure skaters: me, myself and I.
17> figure skaters: about 15 tops. Male skaters? we had 3 last year and 2 constant visitors. All skated mens singles and two of those did pairs. The year before the ice was crowded. Who knows what will happen now that Club Tecumseh finally has a website although it's still needs to get updated.

Brigitte

LoopLoop
08-05-2005, 12:53 PM
We don't have any dancers at my rink, so the answer to that part is zero!

Male FS skaters under 17: 6 that I can come up with off the top of my head.
Male FS skaters over 18: 2 + 1 intermittent/occasional skater. One of the over-18s is a senior international competitor.

I'm only counting people who skate on FS sessions/have coaches/etc.

Raye
08-05-2005, 01:41 PM
If I can talk my son into coming with me, we will have one adult male skater in our club. (I've been working on him and I think he wants to join) There are three male skaters between the age of 9-16 and the ratio at the beginner level is about one boy for every 5 girls. We will lose some of those to hockey once they have passed the power-skate badges.

samba
08-05-2005, 02:41 PM
On a regular basis - none, can't understand it really with all the gorgeous lovelies that are at our rink. Unfortunately I still think there is a stigma attached to male skating. :roll:

sk8er1964
08-05-2005, 02:57 PM
We have at least 5 adults that I know of, several elite level kids (in singles, pairs and dance), and lots and lots of beginners.

TreSk8sAZ
08-05-2005, 03:46 PM
2 male freetylers under 17, though they both do dance as well

Over 18? I haven't been to the adult skate for awhile, but I think there is at least 5 or 6.

icedancer2
08-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Under 17 = 2 at one rink, about 6 at another and the other 2 rinks in my area each have 1-2 per rink. A few also do ice-dance (at least two seriously)

Over 17 = Many. Most are dancers -- sometimes we have more men than women (grown women that is) at the dance sessions, which usually include many younger women ( < 17) as well.

NCSkater02
08-05-2005, 06:30 PM
I skate two rinks on a regular basis, and see one male 17-19--not sure of his age, but he is definately an older teen--and one or two younger, plus one pairs skater. No adults--they hang out at the other rinks. All FS, no dancers.

Casey
08-05-2005, 07:22 PM
There are rather a lot of male skaters at the rinks I go to. Not more than female, but not just 1 or 2.

At the smaller rink near my house, during public sessions, there is almost always 2 or 3 other adult male freestylers who are working on jumps and spins that I can't manage yet, and not always the same 2 or 3, mind! Younger male skaters are more rare. I actually know quite a number of adult males who aren't so good yet, but are own their own skates and are learning - guys who just started this year. I can think of about 5 that I know personally.

At the nicer rink a bit farther which is USFSA members-only, there is probably about 30% male skaters. Dance is the most popular discipline there, though there are also a lot of freestylers. Most people at that rink are very good, there are men and women both doing triples quite regularly, but there are also some beginners, particularly in the adult-only sessions.

Andie
08-05-2005, 10:41 PM
About 4 males that I've seen. I'm not sure how many compete or perform. Two guys are over 55, one is in his late teens or early 20s (I assume). I've at times seen another guy there who looks about 40 something.

Also, my coach (in his early 30s) and his son (age five), so if they count I guess that'd make 6 male skaters.

I'm not there every day and am not part of any clique or whatever, so there could be others I don't know about, or don't remember.

Cactus Bill
08-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Over 18? I haven't been to the adult skate for awhile, but I think there is at least 5 or 6.

It's more like 8 or 10... but not everyone is at every skating session. Guess they aren't as crazy as I am! :roll: (it helps that I work maybe 10 minutes from the rink, so I can make the CC there most of the time.)

Mrs Redboots
08-06-2005, 08:34 AM
We have at least 15-20 males of various ages and sizes. Let's see, now:

5 elite male dancers, of whom at least 4 are over 17.
4 adult male dancers, 2 of whom compete regularly
4 male pairs skaters, all over 17 (in fact, all over 50!)
1 would-be elite male free skater, aged ? 15 or 16 I think
Several boys (don't know how many, but 8 or 9 at the least) at various ages and stages, from learn-to-skate to solo dance....

*IceDancer1419*
08-06-2005, 01:34 PM
7-8 under 18... 4 of which are dancers (3 of those do some freestyle, I believe...)

ummmmmmmm 2 or so REGULARS over 18... one dancer, one freestyler/pairs skater (at least I think he's over 18). Oh wait. there's another dancer too. so 3...

Then there are some occasional adult males that come to practice with dance partners, etc. and I might be missing some. not sure. but... yeah. anyways.

Mrs Redboots
08-07-2005, 04:36 AM
4 adult male dancers, 2 of whom compete regularly
Er, that should be 5, left one out! Who is rapidly becoming competitive.....

Often, at dance club, there are more men than women, certainly almost equal numbers.

Mel On Ice
08-08-2005, 09:08 AM
How many are there at your rink that are under 17: 1

How many are there that are 18+ Over : 2, but neither have been around for a while due to injury/illness

how many male freestyle skaters do you have: 3

how many male dance skaters: 0

sunshinepointe
08-08-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't skate on the freestyle sessions, but in our adult group class and during the public session we have at least 2 adult males. I'm sure there are younger males that go to the freestyle. The majority of our male skaters though convert over to hockey - we have quite a handful of hockey players at our rink.

Skate@Delaware
08-08-2005, 02:54 PM
We had (last season)

Freestyle session skaters:
1-aged 17
6 adults ages 19-60+
and 1 under the age of 6 (he's so cute!)

Adult only skate sessions:
4-5 adults between the ages of 18-60+

time will tell what this season brings-hopefully more guys between the ages of 12-45! (little something for everyone) :lol:

jenlyon60
08-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Counting those who skate regularly/almost exclusively at my rink

Not counting male coaches...

At least 4 or 5 males under age 17 all or mostly freestylers
5 or 6 18+ (ice dancers mostly) competitive standard track males
at least 5 or 6 18+ recreational/adult track males

Note I am not including NoVASk8r in this count since I assume he would include himself in any count of male skaters at the other rink.

NoVa Sk8r
08-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Note I am not including NoVASk8r in this count since I assume he would include himself in any count of male skaters at the other rink.That, and I don't skate at Cr-Ashburn! :P

jenlyon60
08-08-2005, 04:52 PM
I don't skate at Ashburn either (well, except for the Pro-Am competition that's usually held there). I skate at SQ-Reston.

Hydroblade
08-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Well at my club we have 3 guys including me and we're all under 17 and i'm 16 and the other 2 are 10.

I'm a dancer and one is a jack of all trades doing pairs,dance and freeskate and the other will probly become a dancer.

But I was the only one for years and these guys are still young.

flo
08-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Actually there are quite a few in my area and in my club, but unfortunately not at high enough levels (yet) to pair with.

KoDLaN
08-10-2005, 02:21 AM
We are only 4 figure skating males at our rink.

Its myself which is 22, a little kid which is about 8, and then an old guy which is about 50.
As far as I know me and the kid are the only ones taking the classes to go upto figure skating levels...

Raye
08-10-2005, 12:17 PM
I think I have talked my son into coming skating!!! Actually it was another woman at the rink who cinched the deal. She has a 21 year old daughter that he would like to get to know..... (He's 22) So our club now has one adult male.

KoDLaN
08-11-2005, 02:07 AM
There is one or 2 Girls I would like to know better in our group.....but they dont actually talk to any of the guys....stuck up if you ask me!