View Full Version : Salchow - Help - write out steps

JDC1
08-15-2002, 09:26 AM
Hello All, I "learned" the salchow on Monday, meaning it was shown to me and I tried it several times and got some tips, however; I need things in writing. So I am going to write out how I think I do a salchow and if anyone would show me my errors or help me understand the flow of the jump I would really appreciate it!!

Okay -
LFO3 - right leg extended
once turned start bring right leg and right around around to front of body
turn body and legs and feet "behind" now and once you are facing behind
jump and land on other foot.

Okay, my right leg and right arm feel wild, how can I control them better? Am I doing the LFO3 wrong, should the right leg be close behind THEN extended. I am learning like all my jumps at once so I am getting confused. This is primarily because I am in a group class full of people several levels higher than I so it's kinda trial by fire.

THANKS!!

backspin
08-15-2002, 09:49 AM
Even though this jump in reality is 3/4 rotation, you should feel like you are jumping while still going backwards.

1. LFO 3-turn, right leg extended, checked HARD w/ left arm in front, right arm behind.

2. Right leg comes through to front (don't swing it wide around), Left inside edge "hooks" deeper, right arm remains back, left arm remains front

3. Right arm scoops in to chest, left hand comes in to chest as you jump off deep inside edge (should leave a "candy cane" shaped tracing on the ice). Feel like you are pulling yourself up off the ice w/ the right leg kicking up and across your body.

All of this, of course, happens *almost* simultaneously when brought up to speed. The right arm releases a split second after the right leg comes through. This is difficult jump because the timing & rhythm are crucial & it takes awhile to get the feel of it. Important that your free leg is all the way in front before you jump--common mistake, people jump too early. Or, they jump too late, so they're already 1/2 rotated, as you mentioned.

Hope this helps a little--it's very difficult to put it in writing!

JDC1
08-15-2002, 10:50 AM
I must not have been checking the turn enough when I was going fast...I'll practice it slowly and hold the edge longer, I don't think my edge was very deep either, maybe I should practice flips & salchows on different days until I get proficient at them. :-)

MissIndigo
08-15-2002, 11:24 AM
Backspin hit on all the major points I think to help make this jump a successful one...it is especially important I have found to bring the free leg through, not around. I can always tell when I've slung my free leg since it feels like I am saddling a horse! This brings the free hip up too far and you won't get the nice scooping action needed to vault the jump up and around. And do check the the three turn hard before jumping...your path should even straighten out a bit before you jump. This is good since it indicates you stopped the rotation of the three turn, and you won't end up whipping the jump into what my coach calls the "sourcow".

flippet
08-15-2002, 02:58 PM
My coach also had me practice power 3's to really work on getting the check strong. There's almost a miniscule pause during the check, before you scoop the arms in/bring the right leg through and up/bend the left knee to get the deep edge then pop it all up.

Power 3's really help you to feel the check and pause, because you have to check and hold a bit before you shift the weight to the formerly free leg's inside edge.

Lars
08-16-2002, 08:51 AM
After you do your three turn, make sure the leg that is off the ice is following the tracing made by the take off skate.

Make sure the leg is relaxed and not stiff...

Shoulders have to be squared and you have to put the weight on your take off skate.

Hold the edges as long as you can and then jump.

Do not jump off the toe pick (or try not to).

It also helps if there's a decent amount of speed going in.

JDC1
08-16-2002, 09:16 AM
Thanks. Once I get my stupid printer connection working I am going to print out all your tips and put them in my skating note book.

TashaKat
08-17-2002, 06:17 AM
.... and do LOTS of 3turns without the jump just HOLDING that BI edge ..... make sure that it's controlled.

As Madame says to me "you make the easiest bit (the 3turn) the hardest, just relax on the damn thing"

It's too easy to try and get the rotation from the 3turn so it's worthwhile getting the 3turn bit right ..... the rest will then follow :)

You can also do salchows from a RFI open mohawk, this REALLY shows you how much you rely on the 3turn for rotation!

L x

tidesong
08-17-2002, 07:57 AM
Hello, for the salchow, my coach says that I bring in my legs too close together sometimes so its hard to jump... how far apart are your legs as you bring the salchow through? My feet are sometimes less than shoulder width apart... so i guess that's a little close... do most of you ppl do it about shoulder width apart?

michelle K
08-18-2002, 08:07 PM
Do not jump off the toe pick (or try not to).

I am also working on salchow. I find this jump easier than toe loop. But, then again, maybe because I have been jumping off the toe pick.
My coach did say jump off the toe pick though.

Lars
08-19-2002, 08:19 AM
If you're at the early learning stage, then the toe does help but if you go on to a more later learning stage, you'll find that the less toe scratch there is, the better the quality of the jump and the lesser the likelihood you will have of rotating the jump on the ice. =)

TashaKat
08-19-2002, 01:15 PM
It's more that you jump 'through the foot' with the toepick leaving the ice last than scratching to a halt on your pick and then jumping :) This movement gives you an extra bit of spring (think dancers)

Does that make sense?

Originally posted by michelle K

I am also working on salchow. I find this jump easier than toe loop. But, then again, maybe because I have been jumping off the toe pick.
My coach did say jump off the toe pick though.