View Full Version : ISI Worlds in Anaheim

Raye
07-13-2005, 03:07 AM
Is anyone here going to ISI worlds this month?

AnnM
07-13-2005, 11:14 AM
I am. I'll be competing in Adult Artistic 3 on Thursday afternoon.

PattyP
07-13-2005, 12:31 PM
I will be there!

Here is my crazy schedule:

Solo Comp. FS5 : 4:50pm : Monday - July 25 2005 : Yorba Linda
Freestyle 5 : 11:57am : Wednesday - July 27 2005 : Anaheim ICE 1
Char. Spot. FS5 : 2:12pm : Wednesday - July 27 2005 : Anaheim ICE 1
Artistic FS5 : 7:00am : Thursday - July 28 2005 : Paramount

I'm not sure what possessed me to sign up for 4 events! 8O

Raye
07-13-2005, 02:35 PM
My granddaughter and I are doing a Family Spotlight at around two in the afternoon on Tuesday July 26 - Disney Ice. She is just turned 7 and this will be her first competition.

Raye
07-13-2005, 02:38 PM
I will be there!

I did seven events once at the Western Regional Adult Challenge in Kamloops BC. It made for a very busy schedule, but I would do it again if given the chance. You will do fine. Hopefully I will get to see at least one of your events. :) :bow: :roll:

Lives to skate
07-14-2005, 12:05 AM
4 rinks and 4 locations and coaching 20 skaters and 4 events for myself and judging 40 events!!!!. Plus I am leaving midweek to go to Colorado to compete in Senior men's at the State Games of America and returning to LA for the end. :giveup:

Am I crazy !!!! YES!! I am sure that I might miss a few events due to traffic or major hassle along the way, but I hope I can meet some of you on this board while I am there. You notice me looking frazzled and probably disoriented not knowing which city or rink I and in hehehehehe. But I can't help myself I am a skate addict!!!

I wish you all the best of luck.

Burton Powley

Thin-Ice
07-14-2005, 02:28 AM
I will be there!

Here is my crazy schedule:

Solo Comp. FS5 : 4:50pm : Monday - July 25 2005 : Yorba Linda
Freestyle 5 : 11:57am : Wednesday - July 27 2005 : Anaheim ICE 1
Char. Spot. FS5 : 2:12pm : Wednesday - July 27 2005 : Anaheim ICE 1
Artistic FS5 : 7:00am : Thursday - July 28 2005 : Paramount

Same thing that possessed me to sign up for four events.. we had taken leave of our senses when the applications were due :lol: ... but then I look at some of the kids -- including one little girl from Texas who is doing ELEVEN events! :giveup: or :bow: not sure which!

I'm even doing a couples number.. and my partner lives four states away.. so we've been practicing separately (at least I hope WE have been practicing separately).. and will work out the unison issues when we get together at the beginning of the week. Fortunately, our couples program is on Friday!

Mrs Redboots
07-14-2005, 02:29 AM
Sounds like fun, Burton - don't forget to check in here en route, and let us know how you get on, especially at the State Games!

Here, there's recreational competitions only until the end of August, then a couple of warm-ups for the British Adults, which are the first weekend in October. So we're not really in full-on training mode just yet, which is fun, as it means we can experiment with new things, and play, and work on our basics.....

AnnM
07-14-2005, 11:32 AM
I nearly ended up doing 4-5 events. When my coach first mentioned the competition she talked about doing multiple events and some of the pros of doing a number of events rather than just one. At 6:20 in the morning (i.e when I was half awake), I almost bought into it. Fortunately I didn't actually fill out my application until much later in the afternoon, when my brain could actually function. ;)

I'm taking off from work only for my competition day, and will be at Anaheim Ice the whole time, so I'm not sure if I'll get to see many posters' performances. I'll check the schedule though. Good luck to everyone!

sk8er1964
07-14-2005, 12:12 PM

At least they're not all in one day (although I noticed you did have two only a couple of hours apart). The last time I signed up for four events, they were all in one day! (Jumps, Pairs, Freestyle and Interp). By the last event, I was dead. :giveup:

PattyP
07-14-2005, 05:41 PM
At least they're not all in one day (although I noticed you did have two only a couple of hours apart). The last time I signed up for four events, they were all in one day! (Jumps, Pairs, Freestyle and Interp). By the last event, I was dead. :giveup:

OMG 8O In one day!?! I would have died. The nerves from competing just whipe me out. I can easily do all 4 in a 1hr FS session, but to compete them in one day is a totally different story. :bow:

Burton, you are absolutely crazy. To coach (which always includes judging) and compete at one of these events is nuts!

I'm only taking off work on Wed, so that will probably be the only day that I will get to watch other events. Hopefully I will get to see some of you.

figure_skater
07-22-2005, 12:48 AM
im there

i also have four events-

monday= freestyle- paramount
tuesday= production team- paramount
thursday= couples spotlight- yorba linda
saturday= precision (formation)- disney

it will be a long but hopefully really fun week!!!

Thin-Ice
07-22-2005, 02:45 AM
Good luck to EVERYONE skating at ISI Worlds! Have fun :D and let us know how you skate.

jazzpants
07-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Hey, you guys going to ISI World... good luck and KICK SOME ICE BUTTS!!! (And here's an Internet blessing of all ice surfaces that PattyP is going to skate on this weekend...) :P :lol:

PattyP
07-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks Jazz...I'm going to need it!

It should be fun, ISI is a lot less stress than AN! I think I am skating against the book in 2 of my 4 events.

figure_skater
07-23-2005, 03:46 PM
thanx people! it might be very stressful.....

im against-

5 others for freestyle
3 other teams for production
3 other couples for couples spotlight
and 4 other teams for precision...

thats alot of competition! 8O :D

but lets all HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

AnnM
07-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Was anyone at practice ice yesterday? I was on the Disney 1 surface from 1:30 until 2 and it was pure insanity. Not to knock any of the younger skaters on this forum, but seriously, coaches need to teach their younger students about ice etiquette and watching out for other people. Case in point --- if I am in the middle of an attitude spin, and you are doing forward crossovers, you need to find a path that doesn't involve heading straight for my free leg. :evil: Luckily I saw the girl and was able to stop the spin and drop the leg in time.

Apart from the madness on practice ice, I had a blast looking at the different vendors and meeting a couple people. And even though the ice surface was much larger than I expected, I was able to push my program out and get a decent amount of ice coverage.

Two more days to go for me 'til comp day ... 8O

skippyjoy_207
07-25-2005, 09:26 PM
A few of my friends are going. Two of them are Leilani Wong and Tammy Wang. Maybe you guys'll see them! :)

PattyP
07-25-2005, 09:58 PM
I just completed my first event. I came in 2nd against MYSELF 8O :roll:

It was the compulsory event. For FS5 I had to complete a lutz, axel and a camel spin. After a horrific warm-up (never try to compete after working all day) I was able to pull off a decent lutz and camel spin, but I two footed my axel...hence the 2nd place. I watch another skater who was against herself too and she was given 2nd for a two-footed axel as well. At least the judges were consistant!

I saw Lives to Skate (Burton) there, he was puting on one of his students who was on the warm-up before me. He skated his event earlier in the day and got 1st. Congrats Burton!

The ice at Yorba Linda was strange. I'm glad I don't have to skate there on a regular basis...yuk!

I have 2 events on Wed, let's hope I do better then. I will be off work that day.

Patty

figure_skater
07-25-2005, 10:24 PM
A few of my friends are going. Two of them are Leilani Wong and Tammy Wang. Maybe you guys'll see them! :)

i saw leilani wang!!!! wooooo! im good.... lol... well she skated pretty well for her freestyle 2... i was at paramount the same time she was..... so thats cool

Skate Great!!!

AshBugg44
07-25-2005, 10:49 PM
I just want to say GOOD LUCK to Alyssa Hall, from Lloyd Center Ice Rink, competing in FS 6 Artistic, Spotlight Light Entertainment, Technical, and Footwork. Go get 'em Lyss!

figure_skater
07-27-2005, 12:13 AM
so far..........

freestyle- 5th...out of ALOT i was really disappointed though... my coach and i thought that i did better than that....... :cry:

production-2nd!!!!!! ... it was REALLY fun and we all did great :D ... only one thing went wrong and that was before we skated- one of the other teams' props was this huge pole and curtain thing and it fell on one of our skaters hitting her in the back of her head! :evil: she was ok... the other team didnt even say anything! they just stood there and stared as the officials ran up and helped... but overall it was fun.... :D

2 more events to go!!!

how is everyone else doing in their events???

PattyP
07-27-2005, 07:47 PM
I wished I had gone to watch the production event. My coach's kids did it and had a blast. I think you must be in the same group, they came in 2nd. Do you know Lauren & Brian?

2 events today. The first was my FS 5, not a great skate, but not bad. I got 1st out of 3. I two footed my axel (big surprise :roll: ) and screwed up my camel spin. Oh well, I had fun.

My second event was Spotlight Character. I did my old Miss Piggy program and skated it well. I got 1st, but I was the only one in my group.

I have one more event tomorrow morning at 7:00am :P

jazzpants
07-27-2005, 08:32 PM
I wished I had gone to watch the production event. My coach's kids did it and had a blast. I think you must be in the same group, they came in 2nd. Do you know Lauren & Brian?

2 events today. The first was my FS 5, not a great skate, but not bad. I got 1st out of 3. I two footed my axel (big surprise :roll: ) and screwed up my camel spin. Oh well, I had fun.

My second event was Spotlight Character. I did my old Miss Piggy program and skated it well. I got 1st, but I was the only one in my group.

I have one more event tomorrow morning at 7:00am :PHey! You got first!!! That's gotta be something for your coach!!! :P (I know. Typical coach -- she's gonna hassle you to no end about that axel after ISI World, right...) :roll: :P

Congrats to you all the same!!!

figure_skater: Holy COW!!!! 8O I hope that girl's okay...

skippyjoy_207
07-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Might be a dumb question, but who pays for your plane ticket to Anaheim? :)

PattyP
07-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Might be a dumb question, but who pays for your plane ticket to Anaheim? :)

No one! I live less than 10 miles from the rink! I only had to buy gas ;)

Those that did have to travel long distances were responsible to provide their own transportation and in some cases, their coach's too.

AnnM
07-29-2005, 01:50 PM
My event was yesterday afternoon (Adult Artistic FS 2-3). I don't usually do this, but I need to rant before I rave (so I can end on a positive note), so if you don't like reading rants, skip the next paragraph.

Scoring for the Artistic event in ISI does not have a technical component for it. Scoring is based solely on edges, flow, choreography, carriage, posture, etc. There are no technical requirements, nor apparently are there any limitations. I don't have a problem with this except for the fact that the judges were clearly rewarding those who did more difficult technical moves yesterday. In my grouping, as well as the other adult grouping for this skill level, the winners did loops, flips, lutzes, camel spins, and camel-sit-upright combos. All these moves are from ISI levels 4-5. I was very disappointed that the judges seemed to forget what the Artistic event is supposed to be judged on. I came in 4th of 4, and while I don't think I should have won my category, I think that I should have been placed ahead of the the 3rd place winner who fell and did a butt slide across the ice, if the Artistic event truly is supposed to be about edges, flow, etc. I guess her loop jump (from FS level 4) made it more artistic than my legitimate FS level 3 program. Also, I noticed that among the female adults, those adults that had smaller frames & slight builds were placed ahead of females who had more womanly bodies, even if the more curvaceous women actually skated better. More than just a bit disturbing IMHO.

Despite all that, I had a good time at the event. I skated the best that I could, didn't fall, and ended in time with my music. For the first time, I skated with attack and I am proud of that. I also met some wonderful people, adults & kids, and had a blast watching other programs, checking out the vendors, and just soaking up the atmosphere of the event.

Anyone heading out to the benefit show tonight to see Ms. Sasha?

Raye
07-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Well! I am home again. My Granddaughter and I skated well on Tuesday, we got sixth out of six, but she's over the moon because she got a medal with a purple ribbon on it to show for her efforts. I really like the ISI credo of Participation Not Elimination.

She did her part perfectly, and skated with confidence and a huge smile on her face. Nana was nervous and started too soon, caught a toepick on the takeoff for a waltz jump (no I did not fall!!) but other than that it was a very good day. Her mom and dad were there along with her sister and brother so she had a fan club. All in all I think her first-ever competition was a positive experience for her. She says she would like to skate with me again sometime, and she wants to do a solo by herself next time.

Disneyland was fun too!! :)

AshBugg44
07-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Are there any results online?

figure_skater
07-29-2005, 09:12 PM
yah they have results up... http://www.skateisi.com/HTML/event_info/Worlds/results/current.cfm

they have the results for monday-thursday up and are puting up today's at 10pm pst...

and.......... I got 2nd for my couples routine!!!!!!!!!! :D

Thin-Ice
08-01-2005, 05:36 AM
It was a fun week... I drove down from northern California early Monday morning and made it to the rink in time to actually have practice ice on the rink where I would compete in Figures 1... and discovered just how BRIGHT WHITE the ice was! But I was happy with how I skated the figure (FI8) including the center! There were 3 in the group, I came in 2nd.

Tuesday some friends and I went to California Adventure to play on the rides and relax.

Wednesday had Charachter Spotlight... whose great idea was it to put Charachters (which usually require a good deal of make-up or hair or costume preparations) at 7:45am???? Oh well, at least all five of us in the group woke up the judges. We were a diverse group: Pochahantas, Kermit, (I Dream of) Jeanie, Tin Man and Casey (at the Bat). I skated well and ended up in a tie for first.

Thursday: Compulsory Solo Moves... had a bad warm-up.. except the final loop my coach made me do after they asked us to leave the ice.. it was GREAT! Of course, the loop I did in the event was a real squeaker... or as one of the judges said to me afterwards "You must really like toe jumps rather than edge jumps.. that loop was scary". The woman who also skated the event was so impressive... she was coming back to the ice after a broken ankle and had a GORGEOUS loop!

Friday: Couples Light Entertainment-High.. what a FUN group! We were all awesome. I told my partner I had a dream Thursday night we were going to place 4th (out of six) and she wouldn't speak to me any more... so when the results were posted, she said to me "I'm not speaking to you any more" -- and we both laughed... I KNEW what she meant.. but for a second, everyone else thought she was being a poor sport.. then we explained the dream.

So... a week of good skating and at a lot of different rinks (we also practiced at Ontario and Artesia just for diversity), had a lot of fun, made new friends, went to Disneyland with my coach for a few hours, and ended up with 2-1st place medals, 1-2nd place medal and 1-4th place medal.. and scored 14 points for my home rink.. which put it ahead of a local "rival" rink. (Without my points, my rink would have been down two more places in the final standings. My couples number didn't count towards our rink.. since my partner skates for another rink in another state.. and they earned the points.. which also put them ahead of one of their "rival" rinks).

And I didn't realize until I made it home, but I was not nervous -- even once!!! 8O (Although I was a bit stiff on my compulsory moves warm-up.) So I've learned I CAN compete without getting all crazy! THAT may have been the best thing that came out of the entire week!