View Full Version : what's your skating music ?

florence
07-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi all!!

I'm very curious to know what everyone is skating to or is planning to skate to! 8-)

For next season I was thinking about skating to "somewhere over the rainbow" but I'm still undecided because it's a little bit slow..
my last programs were: a rock&roll and a the soundtrack from the movie "hook"..

and what about you? I'm very curious :)

p.s. sorry for my english...

flying~camel
07-11-2005, 11:01 AM
For the next 2 weeks, my music is from Shrek, but, after I take my Bronze FS test at the end of the month, I'll have new music. :)

phoenix
07-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Don't know yet--I'm currently looking for junior free dance music. Any ideas?

Your English is very good!

Figuresk8_katie
07-11-2005, 11:54 AM
I actually discovered my music in band at school. I play flute so we often get really intricate and fun parts in songs. Our band teacher handed us a song that is higher than our usual difficulty level then he played his c.d. version of it so we could hear it. I LOVED IT RIGHT AWAY! That night I went onto amazon.ca and ordered the c.d. Now it's my freeskate music! It's Danse Bacchanale from the opera Samson and Delilah. It's really fun for choreography and has great parts in the music for spins, footwork, etc. I love it! I think I'll probably keep it until I'm done testing freeskates because I want to be able to get a longer version than the Jr. Silver 3:09 minutes.

Raye
07-11-2005, 11:55 AM
My Freeskate is March of the Toreadors from Carmen, and my interpretive is Memory from Cats. I just passed my Introductory Interpretive test, so I will be looking for a new Interpretive programme after Autumn Skate in Ottawa

Raye
07-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Katie, I love that piece - I look forward to seeing your choreography to it one day :)

cutiesk8r43
07-11-2005, 12:00 PM
my music is from the movie Chocolat. I like it alot! I will probably change my music in December, maybe by that time I will be sick of it but for now its the best music I've skated to! :D
~cutie ;)

flo
07-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Phoenix,
What type of music do you like?

Mrs Redboots
07-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Our free dance is a Scottish medley of Strip the Willow, a waltz, and a Dashing White Sergeant. Great fun.... I don't know whether we'll keep it another year, though, people might start to yawn when we roll it out, as it's already in its second year!

But we needn't think about that until the New Year, though. If we do change, we might well go for some Abba, for a change, probably It's only natural.

At the moment, we don't have any Interpretive or Pairs Interpretive music; we once did a very silly version of Leader of the Pack and keep saying we'll do it again one of these years... we'll see. The other one we're toying with is Poisoning Pigeons in the Park which could be great fun!

Skate@Delaware
07-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Hubby wants to do Tango to "Por Una Cabeza" (the tango from True Lies and Scent of a Woman) for the exhibition in December.... He needs to work on some moves when our rink opens!!! This should be very interesting-stay tuned!

Feeling Good by Michael Buble is daughter's choice for the exhibition.....

phoenix
07-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Flo--

I like latin music & rhythms (I was a latin ballroom dancer), though those dances can be hard to interpret on the ice. Rhumba & cha cha are my favorites of those. I also think a tango could be great fun, easier to interpret, if I found music I really loved. I also love waltzes......

So really nothing's out of the running at this point! (& we may very well take 2 pieces & combine them to get a rhythm change) It just has to have a definite beat to dance to.

Raye
07-11-2005, 01:50 PM
If you are considering a waltz, a nice one that would work well for a free-dance is "The Morning Papers" Waltz by the younger Strauss. Lots of different moods.

sk8er1964
07-11-2005, 02:43 PM
<snip>I LOVED IT RIGHT AWAY! That night I went onto amazon.ca and ordered the c.d. Now it's my freeskate music! It's Danse Bacchanale from the opera Samson and Delilah. It's really fun for choreography and has great parts in the music for spins, footwork, etc. I love it! I think I'll probably keep it until I'm done testing freeskates because I want to be able to get a longer version than the Jr. Silver 3:09 minutes.

That was my music for the past two years. I heard the Detroit Symphony Orchestra play it, and had the same reaction as you. It's a great piece to skate to.

I'm trying to find new music myself - and the Bacchanale is a hard piece to follow -- I still love that music, but it's time to move on.

pennybeagle
07-11-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm using "Prelude" and the intro section of "Qadukka-I-Mayaas" by Jesse Cook, off the album _Nomad_. This was a very serendipitous find on iTunes. Very much like "The Feeling Begins," except that it's not. ;)

Casey
07-11-2005, 03:22 PM
I have to find some music to skate a program to, and have no ideas what to use. It has to be something I actually like or I won't skate well to it. I dug through my music collection searching for non-vocal pieces, and found this track which I think would work nicely.

I showed it to a couple friends already, but they say it sounds too feminine for a man to skate to. Second opinions?
http://kc.sk8rland.com/riding_the_dragonfly.mp3

It's a bit long of course, but I think the slower parts at the beginning could be dropped pretty easily.

I don't have any other ideas, LOL. :(

flo
07-11-2005, 03:55 PM
We'll see. I'm having something recorded. Could be interesting.

jazzpants
07-11-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm likely to go back to my Yanni "Until the Last Moment" program (from the "Live At Acropolis" album) for my Bronze FS Test.

But I'm keeping my artistic piece a TOP SECRET program 'til Skate SF!!! But let's just say if my skating can do justice out of the choreography... *sigh*

batikat
07-11-2005, 05:22 PM
I have to find some music to skate a program to, and have no ideas what to use. It has to be something I actually like or I won't skate well to it. I dug through my music collection searching for non-vocal pieces, and found this track which I think would work nicely.

I showed it to a couple friends already, but they say it sounds too feminine for a man to skate to. Second opinions?

It's a bit long of course, but I think the slower parts at the beginning could be dropped pretty easily.

It's nice music but a bit slow and I'd agree with the friends it has a bit of a 'light' girly feel.

Do you like computer games? My son skated to music from the Final Fantasy soundtracks - think the one he used was called, rather unpleasantly, 'Man with machine gun' but the music is great - strong and fast (you like to skate fast I think!)

Prior to that he used music from the TV programme 'Red Dwarf' - dont know if that programme ever made it across the 'Pond' so you may not know it.

Or for something a bit different how about the drumming music from the Matrix (was it the second or third film I forget?).

At least cutting music is much easier these days than when we started and had to cut casette tapes.

*IceDancer1419*
07-11-2005, 07:06 PM
I think for my (er, our :P :roll: ) free dance we're using a medley of tango music... not totally decided yet.

Shinn-Reika
07-11-2005, 11:27 PM
It's nice music but a bit slow and I'd agree with the friends it has a bit of a 'light' girly feel.

Do you like computer games? My son skated to music from the Final Fantasy soundtracks - think the one he used was called, rather unpleasantly, 'Man with machine gun' but the music is great - strong and fast (you like to skate fast I think!)

Prior to that he used music from the TV programme 'Red Dwarf' - dont know if that programme ever made it across the 'Pond' so you may not know it.

Or for something a bit different how about the drumming music from the Matrix (was it the second or third film I forget?).

At least cutting music is much easier these days than when we started and had to cut casette tapes.

that post made me jump up and down.

I've always wanted to skate to Man with the Machine gun! It's from final fantasy 8 which is actually a love story. Any way the composer behind most FF music is actually a very talented and versatile musician. It's actually hard to classify his music since he's done anything from slow ballads to hard rock songs.

If I ever did a program I'd probably either pick "those who fight further" ( A really uplifting rock song which was used as battle music in FF VII), The opera (a collaboration of pieces from FFVI, yes an opera performed on a super nintendo game but trust me it was good), and finally maybe a mix of onslaught and Dusk and Dawn (both used in promotions for FFXI).

Another game I wish I could skate to would be chrono trigger, which was made by the same company (Squaresoft/SquareEnix) and considered by many to be the best RPG of all time. I really wish I could do either frog's theme (a very inspiriational fanfare about a frog) or Magus' theme.

The only problem I'd have with doing game music is that many of the tracks are meant to be looped and are therefore really short (and repetitive), but that's not always the case (quite obviously). In the 2004 Summer Olympics, the United States synchronized swimming duet of Alison Bartosik and Anna Kozlova won the bronze medal using two of his pieces from Final Fantasy VIII in the second half of their routine.

Okay okay that's enough of my geekiness for now. I realize that none of you have any Idea what I'm talking about.

Casey
07-12-2005, 12:11 AM
I actually quite love Final Fantasy music, it's really good! I got hooked on Final Fantasy X, and later played Final Fantasy VII - never had played any before X came out.

Thanks for that idea! I'll have to see if I can't dig up a soundtrack.

TashaKat
07-12-2005, 01:04 AM
My last programmes were:

Theme from Angel (Free programme)
Riverdance (Free Dance)

have also skated to something by Vanessa Mae (can't remember the title) for Free, Monsters Inc music (OD), Hernando's Hideaway (Free Dance), Toccata and Fugue (Free).

batikat
07-12-2005, 02:06 AM
that post made me jump up and down.

I've always wanted to skate to Man with the Machine gun! It's from final fantasy 8 which is actually a love story. Any way the composer behind most FF music is actually a very talented and versatile musician. It's actually hard to classify his music since he's done anything from slow ballads to hard rock songs.

If I ever did a program I'd probably either pick "those who fight further" ( A really uplifting rock song which was used as battle music in FF VII), The opera (a collaboration of pieces from FFVI, yes an opera performed on a super nintendo game but trust me it was good), and finally maybe a mix of onslaught and Dusk and Dawn (both used in promotions for FFXI).

The only problem I'd have with doing game music is that many of the tracks are meant to be looped and are therefore really short (and repetitive), but that's not always the case (quite obviously). In the 2004 Summer Olympics, the United States synchronized swimming duet of Alison Bartosik and Anna Kozlova won the bronze medal using two of his pieces from Final Fantasy VIII in the second half of their routine.

The soundtrack CD's actually have extended themes - we had to send for ours off Amazon or some such (and they didn't come cheap!) - the second one came with the title tracks in Japanese but the first one was in English. Then we listen to them in the car until one of us says ' you could skate to that!'

My son now has the sheet music and can play some of his favourite themes and has started to write some pieces of his own in a a similar style. I am still waiting for him to compose me a personal piece of skating music but he has now gone on to use some classical pieces by Bach for his latest programme. However daughter now has some FF tracks in mind for her next programme.

NickiT
07-12-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm currently skating my free programme to Toccata by Paul Mauriat. I really like it and I had the best compliment recently from a top coach at another rink, who told me what a pleasure it was to hear "proper" skating music as he put it. He also said it really suited me. I must admit though, it's pretty fast and I think I'll try and find something a little slower for my next programme!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2005, 08:49 AM
I like latin music & rhythms (I was a latin ballroom dancer), though those dances can be hard to interpret on the ice. Rhumba & cha cha are my favorites of those. I also think a tango could be great fun, easier to interpret, if I found music I really loved. I also love waltzes......When we did a Tango OD, we skated to On this night of a thousand stars from Evita. It cut very nicely to 1'30", which was the length we needed. You might want to do something similar, perhaps with one of the waltzes from the film for a change of pace. One of our Junior couples is skating to music from Evita for their free dance this year, and it's going to be super.

Figuresk8_katie
07-12-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm using "Prelude" and the intro section of "Qadukka-I-Mayaas" by Jesse Cook, off the album _Nomad_. This was a very serendipitous find on iTunes. Very much like "The Feeling Begins," except that it's not. ;)

Jesse Cook! Amazing guitarist. I had the opportunity to see him in a small setting at City TV in Toronto a few years ago. I got to meet him too because my cousing works for Virgin Records. He's a really nice, funny guy. I've skated to a couple Jesse Cook pieces too. Great music!

Figuresk8_katie
07-12-2005, 10:50 AM
my music is from the movie Chocolat. I like it alot! I will probably change my music in December, maybe by that time I will be sick of it but for now its the best music I've skated to! :D
~cutie ;)-

I just finished using my Chocolat music, actually! There are two piece you hear often from Chocolat. They're both great! It's good skating music. I had a judge compliment me on the music at a competition last October. I was rather impressed :lol:

flying~camel
07-12-2005, 10:50 AM

You might want to consider checking out the soundtracks to Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, Alexander, etc.

These types of movies tend to have powerful, masculine-sounding scores ;)

crayonskater
07-12-2005, 12:05 PM
I really like the Dragonfly piece, Casey. It doesn't strike me as terribly feminine, but I think to interpret it you'd need to be the sort of skater that brings a fair amount of emotion to the skating and a lot of flair. (If anything it sounds to me like a slower version of something Plushenko might skate to.)

But if it's striking you as girly, it's probably not best for you.

The entire Lord of the Rings soundtrack has a lot of variation and several pieces that are more millitaristic/manly/not frilly. Others, off the top of my head: Braveheart, Gettysburg.... let's see... Pretty much anything scored by John Williams will have a section that is suitable.

samba
07-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi Casey

Zoro, trust me, it's macho and its sexy!! ;)
Get the CD, lots of different instrumentals that you can mix, from fast and aggresive to soft and romantic.

Cheers
Grace

NoVa Sk8r
07-12-2005, 03:31 PM
The entire Lord of the Rings soundtrack has a lot of variation and several pieces that are more millitaristic/manly/not frilly. Others, off the top of my head: Braveheart, Gettysburg.... let's see... Pretty much anything scored by John Williams will have a section that is suitable.I think John Williams is an excellent choice. And to avoid overused music, why not choose something current like "War of the Worlds (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009A3ZZI/qid=1121199846/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-9591309-7181466)." The music is heavy, sinister, powerful, eerie, frenetic, and masculine.

Mrs Redboots
07-12-2005, 04:06 PM
You might want to consider checking out the soundtracks to Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, Alexander, etc.

These types of movies tend to have powerful, masculine-sounding scores ;)One of our best young men is using music from Pirates of the Caribbean.

NCSkater02
07-12-2005, 06:22 PM
I did my free (last year, and probably next) to something John Williams. I gave a CD of some of his music to my coach with a few pieces I liked marked, and she picked the music. Since she can't seem to remember to return my CD, I have no idea which tune she picked.

I'd love to be able to skate to the "General Grievous" cut from Star Wars-Sith, but I will never be able to do it justice.

Skate@Delaware
07-12-2005, 07:11 PM
One of our best young men is using music from Pirates of the Caribbean.
Ah, I was gonna suggest Pirates of the Caribbean! I love that soundtrack! I really get the looks when I play it at work; luckily, I'm all by myself so I can listen to whatever I want!!!!!! :D

batikat
07-12-2005, 07:13 PM
One of our best young men is using music from Pirates of the Caribbean.

So am I and at least 5 other skaters at our rink including 2 boys - all slightly diferent cuts and I was the first to use it - just love that music - and of course it reminds me of Johnny Depp when I skate which is no bad thing :lol:

vesperholly
07-13-2005, 04:03 AM
Right now the program I have cut is "Vuelvo al Sur" by Gotan Project. It's tangoish music but has basically the same sound throughout the program so I'm not too thrilled with it as a skating program, even though I love the music. Plus, I think it will be really hard to skate to since the tempo is the same so I have to keep up the same pace. I want to change it but I think my coach won't like that. :??

My favorite program ever was to the soundtrack from Little Women. I absolutely adore that music and almost all of what Thomas Newman has ever composed (American Beauty, How to Make an American Quilt, etc) and it's a real shame he has never won an Oscar! Anyway...

On the bright side, in September I can start testing adult FS - I need to get up to Silver for ANs. Pre-Bronze doesn't have a program but Bronze does, and the elements are so secure for me that I'm going to do a fun program to the music from Soapdish. It'll be great to be able to put the moves anywhere and not be locked into putting the hard stuff first because otherwise I'm too tired!

Mel On Ice
07-13-2005, 05:12 AM
I'm using selections from the movie "Big Fish", including Sandra's Theme and the Finale.

Since I've only competed "Minnie the Moocher" twice, I think I will keep it for one more year of Interp.

g0t2sk8
07-13-2005, 05:32 AM
Nocturne by Chopin for FS

miraclegro
07-13-2005, 06:45 AM
Well, just for fun -- right now i'm going to skate to a FS 4 level program - Artistic, -- with my schedule, i just wanted to have fun and it's to "You Are My Sunshine" with a country music beat and sound. It has words, and i love it. I am not a country music person, either!, but i decided after working and working on MIF and other stuff to have some FUN!

-Miraclegro

*JennaD*
07-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Wow...you guys have great music!

I'm looking for music right now, does anyone know of anything good that I could use that is about 1:30...max 1:40 min?

Thanks!

-Jenna

flo
07-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Jenna,
I have tons of 1:40 cuts. What type of music/program are you looking for?

*JennaD*
07-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Well its a freestyle program...I'm not sure if its going to be for test or competition...basically any type of music, I'm not the fastest skater though, but it shouldn't be too slow either or else my coach will go nuts watching me skate :roll:

Debbie S
07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
On the bright side, in September I can start testing adult FS - I need to get up to Silver for ANs. Pre-Bronze doesn't have a program but Bronze does, and the elements are so secure for me that I'm going to do a fun program to the music from Soapdish. It'll be great to be able to put the moves anywhere and not be locked into putting the hard stuff first because otherwise I'm too tired!

vesperholly, check the Governing Council Report of Action (it's on the USFSA website and the center of the latest Skating mag). It doesn't look like you have to pass the lower level tests to take Silver, just a particular moves test before taking FS. With Silver, I believe you have to pass Juv MIF, which you have, right? So you should be able to take Silver FS in Sept.

Sweet16*skater
07-13-2005, 10:49 AM
our free dance is a foxtrot and then a quickstep....*having trouble keeping up with the music* 8O
Good luck to everyone this season!

flo
07-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Jenna,
My 1:40 programs have been:
The swan from the carnival of the animals
Loon, from On Golden Pond
Schindler's List
"Time" cuts from Prokoviev's Cinderella
Elgar's Enigma Variations - Nimrod
The Lee Holdridge theme from the TV Beauty and The Beast
Pagannini - Variations Cuts from Somewhere in Time soundtrack
Serenade for Strings - Dovorak

Thin-Ice
07-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Flo--

PLEASE don't give away the "Time" music.. everytime I hear it I think of your program, the same way I associate Bolero with Torvill & Dean. Even Michelle Kwan couldn't brush away the T&D association.. and I don't think it would be fair to Jenna to try to live up to your rendition of "Time". (That's meant as a compliment to Flo, not a slam to Jenna)

flo
07-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Thin - too kind!
Thanks! I love that program.

TimDavidSkate
07-14-2005, 11:32 AM
8-) :halo: :yum:

TimDavidSkate
07-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Jenna,
My 1:40 programs have been:
The swan from the carnival of the animals
Loon, from On Golden Pond
Schindler's List
"Time" cuts from Prokoviev's Cinderella
Elgar's Enigma Variations - Nimrod
The Lee Holdridge theme from the TV Beauty and The Beast
Pagannini - Variations Cuts from Somewhere in Time soundtrack
Serenade for Strings - Dovorak

Also Swan Lake - Sasha's cut, slow part then the footwork.

singerskates
07-14-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm going to use Pick Up The Pieces by the Average White Band for my freeskate when I finally get better. It may be quite sometime before I'm back on the ice. I've already got my music edited and remastered. For Christmas I'm going to use Shania Twain's You're Still The One if I'm skating by then. And for my interpretive, I'm not quite sure. I was going to try doing Moondance but then I thought about doing Fever. I've got two versions of Fever, Micheal Dube's and Peggy Lee's. I just can't seem to find a female version of Moondance.

crayonskater
07-14-2005, 12:49 PM
You could probably get away with Moondance, though. You'd just be the one he was singing to, not the one doing the singing. It's such a great piece.

ask8ingcat
07-14-2005, 03:07 PM
florence: i skated to over the rainbow, kenny G's version. i loved it.this year i'm skating to a song from the secret garden.
cathy

Debbie S
07-14-2005, 03:20 PM
I just can't seem to find a female version of Moondance.

This reminds me of when I was looking for a song for a show solo last year and thought about Louis Armstrong's "Kiss to Build a Dream On" (from the "Sleepless in Seattle" soundtrack), but I thought it might look strange for a woman to be skating to a song (about romance, no less!) sung by a man. I know Kristi Yamaguchi once skated an SOI number to it, but I knew I could never carry it off as well as she did. But now I think that it wouldn't have mattered whether a man or woman sang the song. If you like "Moondance", go for it!

kiwibabe
07-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Now I've only started skating this year and my coach suggested that I take part in the novice section of a masters competition in October. Anyway she suggested I start choosing some music, which needs to be no longer than 1 minute 30 seconds and the elements include 1 jump, 1 spin and 1 footwork sequence, its more about presentation than technical ability apparently and judging will be as per the ISU interpretative program.

So if any one could suggest any suitable music for someone starting out, any suggestions of appropriate type of music, speed of music etc it would be great.

My ideas so far are:
A cut of "Erin shore" by the Corrs
The movie "Ever After" title song
The movie "Princess Bride" "storybook love" song and also "I will never love again"
A cut of "The countess cathleen" from Riverdance
The endtitles from the movie "Under the tuscan sun"

vesperholly
07-15-2005, 01:21 AM
vesperholly, check the Governing Council Report of Action (it's on the USFSA website and the center of the latest Skating mag). It doesn't look like you have to pass the lower level tests to take Silver, just a particular moves test before taking FS. With Silver, I believe you have to pass Juv MIF, which you have, right? So you should be able to take Silver FS in Sept.
I've passed through Novice MIF, so I don't have to take any Adult MIF tests. But I always thought I'd have to start at the bottom for the FS tests - except that I've passed standard FS tests through Pre-Juvenile, which would qualify me to take Silver. I'm looking at the ROA on page 36 of Skating. It is seriously confusing.

Proposal B seems to state that if you pass, for example, Silver MIF, you are qualified to then take Silver FS - without taking Pre-Bronze or Bronze FS. That makes no sense, and I don't think that's what they mean. I think it's just an expansion of the chart from Proposal A - "to illustrate the levels of MIF proposed to be taken prior to the adult FS/pair test". Says nothing about MIF exempting you from FS tests - and certainly I'd think we'd have heard about something like THAT passing at GC!

I kind of *want* to take Pre-Bronze and Bronze... it'd be nice to do a program and FS test where I'm not worried about all the elements. Silver shouldn't be a problem but sometimes my camel spin is wonky. Although I suppose if I don't have to worry about two other FS tests, then I have more time to train for ANs.

skaternum
07-15-2005, 08:47 AM
vesperholly, you STILL have to take the adult FS tests from the beginning (pre-bronze, bronze, silver, gold). There's still an existing rule that says you have to take FS tests in order. What the proposal means is that you're grandfathered through silver on the Moves. If you want to take the Gold FS test, you have to take the Gold Moves test.

pedonskates
07-15-2005, 09:55 AM
I just worked on choreography for my new FS program. It's a huge change in genre of music. I'm using Vanessa Mae's "Romeo and Juliet" mixed with Bond's version of Pachabel's "Canon." I just moved, so we choreographed most of the steps before I left to drive across country. The footwork is challenging as some parts of the music are really fast.
Still working on something for interp though.....

Pedonskates

Melzorina
07-15-2005, 10:08 AM
How do you start doing a program? They look like so much fun, but I have no reason to have a program, but I wish I did.

Mrs Redboots
07-15-2005, 10:23 AM
How do you start doing a program? They look like so much fun, but I have no reason to have a program, but I wish I did.What is your next test? I mean, how long until you start working for Level 1 Bronze? Anyway, most competitions don't have a minimum standard, in this country, so you could choreograph something, perhaps for a local rink/club competition. Ask your coach..... no harm in starting to put something together, even if you never do perform it "in anger" as it were, just for the experience.

Debbie S
07-15-2005, 11:11 AM
vesperholly, you STILL have to take the adult FS tests from the beginning (pre-bronze, bronze, silver, gold). There's still an existing rule that says you have to take FS tests in order. What the proposal means is that you're grandfathered through silver on the Moves. If you want to take the Gold FS test, you have to take the Gold Moves test.

Thanks for the clarification, skaternum. Sorry for any confusion I caused. It just looked to me like all you had to do was pass a particular moves test to take whatever FS test was at your level. The way it's presented, with the 3 different "proposals", is really confusing!

Perry
07-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Ritual Fire Dances for my short (no idea the composer) and Sarasate (Gypsy Airs)/Shostakovich (Romance) for my long. The Romance is actually my slow part from Intermediate and Novice; I just keep coming back to it. Shostakvich makes great music, for almost any level. I think my Preliminary, Juvenile, Intermediate, and Novice longs (and my Intermediate short) were all Shostakovich.

Raye
07-15-2005, 05:21 PM
So if any one could suggest any suitable music for someone starting out, any suggestions of appropriate type of music, speed of music etc it would be great.

"The Impossible Dream" from the Overture to Man of La Mancha (Yellow Album Cover - Original Broadway Cast) runs around 1:27 and is a great piece for a beginner. PM me if you are interested and I can send you the MP3 file

Sk8pdx
07-16-2005, 12:31 AM

consider "Remember The Titans" sountrack. Listen to "Titans Theme" It has a few bold and fast parts along with some slower ones. -- just an idea. I have thought of using it myself but I don't skate fast enough. --But someone fearless like yourself could grab it by the reigns and conquer it! :)

Casey
07-16-2005, 01:20 AM
--But someone fearless like yourself could grab it by the reigns and conquer it! :)
Haha, oh dear, you obviously don't know me very well hten if you think I'm fearless! But thanks anyways. :)

Sk8pdx
07-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Haha, oh dear, you obviously don't know me very well hten if you think I'm fearless! But thanks anyways. :)

Past video threads posted by yourself have shown enough proof for me to make such a claim. (how is that spiral coming along? :oops: )There are other witnesses on this forum that I think would agree. te he he :)

Also the soundtrack from the movie "Twister" is a good one too.

vesperholly
07-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Wait... what? I've passed NOVICE moves. Why would I have to still pass Gold moves to take Gold FS once I've passed Silver FS? Proposal B says:

"Allow the passing of EITHER the standard or adult MIF test prior to taking the adult FS or pair test. <snip>
Adult gold MIF OR Intermediate MIF --> Adult Gold FS"

Ok, I have passed Novice MIF and PreJuv FS. Novice exempts me from all Adult MIF tests, because Intermediate can = Gold MIF. PreJuv FS has nothing to do with Gold MIF. Only a standard MIF can exempt an adult MIF, and a standard FS can exempt an adult FS, not standard FS exempting adult MIF. If I had never taken a single FS test in my life but passed my Senior MIF, I would not have to take any Adult MIF.

Take a look at Proposal C.

"Allow an adult skater who has passed the standard FS test to cross over to the adult track in this manner:

Has passed the standard FS test: PreJuvenile FS
Must then pass the appropriate MIF test: Juvenile MIF or Adult Silver MIF
To be eligible to take adult FS test: Adult Silver FS"

So...
Has passed the standard FS test: PreJuvenile FS - YES
Must then pass the appropriate MIF test: Juvenile MIF or Adult Silver MIF - YES, Juvenile
To be eligible to take adult FS test: Adult Silver FS

Has passed the standard FS test: Juvenile FS - NO
(but will have passed Adult Silver FS)
Must then pass the appropriate MIF test: Intermediate MIF (or Adult Gold MIF) - YES, Intermediate
To be eligible to take adult FS test: Adult Gold FS

I still don't think I have to take any moves, and it looks to me that I can skip right to Silver FS. I wouldn't really care if I had to take Pre Bronze and Bronze FS, but having to take GOLD MIF after passing NOVICE is ridiculous, and exactly what this rule was designed to avoid.

Sorry for hijacking... I'll go to the other thread now. :halo:

Casey
07-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Could anybody who has 1:40 recordings in digital format email me a copy please? I'd like to hear some samples and pick something I think I'd skate well to.

Past video threads posted by yourself have shown enough proof for me to make such a claim. (how is that spiral coming along? :oops: )
Well, thanks for the compliment, but I don't think I'd call my skating that good by any means, let alone fearless. I have a looooong ways yet to go. Spirals haven't gone anywhere, I simply don't have the flexibility to push them any farther I don't think (I don't practice them all that much to be honest).

skaternum
07-17-2005, 03:26 PM
I still don't think I have to take any moves, and it looks to me that I can skip right to Silver FS. I wouldn't really care if I had to take Pre Bronze and Bronze FS, but having to take GOLD MIF after passing NOVICE is ridiculous, and exactly what this rule was designed to avoid.

Sorry for hijacking... I'll go to the other thread now. :halo:Yes, go to the other thread. Go directly to the other thread. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. :lol:

You must have missed the posting on the other thread where I slapped myself and fessed up to forgetting about proposal c. It's here.Grandfathering thread (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=17966&page=2&pp=10) I've mostly been concerned with the conditions that apply to my partner and his oddball situation, and totally ignored the rest of it. D'oh!

Terri C
07-17-2005, 03:37 PM
consider "Remember The Titans" sountrack. Listen to "Titans Theme" It has a few bold and fast parts along with some slower ones. -- just an idea. I have thought of using it myself but I don't skate fast enough. --But someone fearless like yourself could grab it by the reigns and conquer it! :)

I already have that for a program- I'm going into my second season using that piece! The correct name of the piece is "Titan Spirit."

P.S. - I compete at Pre Bronze level with the occaisional skate up to Bronze

Francis
07-18-2005, 08:51 AM
I don't know the title, but I skate on Brian Joubert program at the World championship!

Sk8pdx
07-21-2005, 11:49 PM
Thank you Teri C for the correction. :)

My goal is to pass pre-bronze in December. I think I still skate too slow. But then again, I pick out the music and leave all the choreographing to my coach and let her decide if something is a good fit for music and skating abilities.

I have skated to a 1:38 cut from music from Michael W. Smith's "Freedom" CD. There is plenty of music to choose from on there. It was from the title "Carol Ann"

Twinkletoes
07-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Nowhere near making a program but out of Chopin's pieces I would love to skate to:

* "Revolutionaire" Etude in C minor opus 10 no. 12
* Fantasy Impromptu in C# minor op 66
or
the famous "Minute Waltz" op 64 no. 1 (that'll probably be too short but it's a pretty song)