View Full Version : My Broken Wrist, Chapter 3: Getting Back On The Ice?

montanarose
07-10-2005, 01:24 AM
For those of you who have suffered vicariously with me throughout the saga of my broken wrist (and so generously offered your marvelous support & advice :bow: :bow: :bow: ), I now solicit your input on the next stage in my recovery.

I'm now almost six weeks post-fracture and three weeks out of my hard cast (huzzah!) but still wearing a wrist brace. I've had two PT sessions a week and still have two more weeks to go. Tomorrow I see the sports doc again for another x-ray and I am hoping that he will give me the green light to ditch the brace and resume skating. Which I will, albeit tentatively to be sure.

What I'm wondering about is this: I am currently registered to attend a week-long adult skating camp in early August. Having been there last year, I know it means anywhere from six to eight hours a day on the ice, including group lessons, and at least one private lesson a day. I will, of course, be nowhere near where I had hoped to be -- either skill- or endurance-wise -- had my Unfortunate Event not happened. So I am tempted not to waste my time and money.

On the other hand, I argue to myself that it might be JUST the right thing for me to go all-out for a week, re-establish my comfort level with skating and maybe even regain my confidence. Any actual skating progress made would be a bonus :lol: .

So what to do? Just take it slow and easy for the next few months or try for a "kick start" after just a (very!) few weeks of taking it slow and easy?

I'd especially appreciate hearing from those of you who have resumed skating after rehab, broken bones or otherwise. Extra credit will be given to those respondents who are more or less in my age group (I just turned 58 8O ).

TIA,
Ellen

TashaKat
07-10-2005, 02:11 AM
I was wondering how you were getting on. The time has flown! I can't believe it.

Anyway ... I really, really wish that I had kick started. The circumstances were out of my control but when I got back I couldn't have lessons due to my coach's circumstances so skated less and less until I didn't skate any more. I regret not getting back into it properly but it was partly out of my control (I wasn't happy to go to other coaches).

There's no reason 'wrist wise' that you shouldn't just get back into it as the broken bit will be stronger than ever. You are at no more risk now than you were before as long as it has healed.

See what you doctor says but apart from that do what YOU feel comfortable with.

All the best and it's good to hear that you're mended and wanting to skate again :)

dbny
07-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Extra credit here; I'm 58! I broke my wrist on the first day of a week long adult skating camp four years ago. My return to skating was very slow and fearful. I think it would have been great to be able to skate every day. Go for it, but don't push yourself beyond your endurance level. You don't have to be on the ice every available minute. Like you said, any extra skating skills gained would be a bonus, but getting back into the swing of things in just a week would be a huge gain in itself.

TaBalie
07-10-2005, 01:18 PM
PBI:

Are you going to Sun Valley for the adult skating camp? I am considering going (I am living in Sun Valley right now).

montanarose
07-10-2005, 07:16 PM
PBI:

Are you going to Sun Valley for the adult skating camp? I am considering going (I am living in Sun Valley right now).

Oooh, lucky you! I adore Sun Valley/Ketchum; my husband and I have vacationed there twice and I have loved skating on the outdoor rink, especially under the stars. Not to mention hanging out at all hours on the rooftop of the Roosevelt Grill. :lol:

I have taken lessons there from the most wonderful guest coach, Charles Fetter. I think he spends a lot of time there each summer, or at least he used to. If you get a chance to skate with him, I highly recommend it.

I am (or at least may be) going to the Aspen (CO) adult week. Maybe I'll look into the adult camp at Sun Valley next summer.

Ellen

Thin-Ice
07-12-2005, 02:55 AM
GO!!! Jump back onto the ice at camp.. but tell the coaches you just had the cast taken off. They'll give you good supervision and guidance.. and by the end of the week, you'll feel like you never had time off!

Have a GREAT time!

aussieskater
07-12-2005, 11:15 PM
I suppose I get a bit of extra credit because I'm over 40?? On the other hand, I might lose the credit as my injury wasn't bony, it was ligament/cartilage damage in the knee - cost me 4 months' skating...

I'd have to say that coming back from injury was one of the hardest things I've done. The hardest part was that there were two problems to overcome at once: the first was overcoming the fear (especially of doing what caused the accident in the first place - in my case it was boring vanilla crossovers); and the second was lack of strength/stamina.

All I can recommend is that you start back gently with a coach - maybe take a few extra lessons over what you normally would to get your confidence back; and pace yourself. You will get more tired more quickly, and when you're tired is when accidents will happen.

As to whether you should attend the camp, I don't know. We don't have those here (grrr! I so wish we did!), so I don't know what's involved. Also, I'm not a good enough skater. Whatever you decide, all the best of luck returning to the addiction that is skating!

miraclegro
07-13-2005, 06:11 PM
you brave soul,...i can't believe you are already that far along with the healing process... that's great!

The best advice i ever got after an injury was (and this was from the P.Therapist) : Listen to your body. I think you can probably do the camp, but make those in charge aware of your situation, and rest in between. Don't push it, by any means.

Also the best therapy when i had my pulled ligament - or whatever it was...was to get the YMCA pool and swim, and exercise it. It was the best non-impact therapy! Best wishes!